11 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — One of the first political rallies of the season in Wilmington got some Republicans fired up today. Former Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory brought his campaign for governor to the Port City. The Republican front-runner officially announced his candidacy earlier in the week.

Yesterday the NC Democratic Party questioned the money McCrory’s been making the last few years and calling on him to disclose his financial relationships and records. We asked McCrory about it during his visit to our studio this morning.

“It’s a sad commentary on the desperation that they have, but I’ll be releasing the same types of financial disclosures when the filing begins. It hasn’t even begun yet,” McCrory said.

McCrory said he’ll release the records the state requires.

“The same records that me and every Democrat have released during every election. The same records that Beverly Perdue released and others,” he said.

McCrory said he will not release personal financial information, including tax returns.

“No. That’s my private records,” McCrory said. “I wouldn’t ask you to release your records to be a newsperson either. Listen: I own a house, 2,600-square-foot house. My wife and I own two used cars. Both over 10 years old. They are paid for. I have a 401k, and I have no pension. I own no other land. I wish I had some land here in Wilmington and on Wrightsville Beach or something, but I don’t. That’s my wealth. That’s it. I’m not independently wealthy.”

Comment on this Story

11 Comments on "FIRST ON 3: McCrory says he won’t release personal financial information"

notanothercharlotte
2015 years 8 months ago

Just what we need, this clown messing up the entire state like he messed up Charlotte as Mayor..He’s a bigger flip-flopper than Mitt..Apparently, he’s not open to transparency in government, must be hiding something in his finances he doesn’t want people knowing…Hopefully a more competant Republican will join the race.

taxpayer
2015 years 8 months ago

follows the letter of the law, which I’m certain he will, he’ll release exactly what is required. I don’t “hear” you calling for Bev and her cronies to release their personal financial information when they were running.

Erlkoenig
2015 years 8 months ago

More liberal smear tactics. Full of innuendo, short on facts. Got any problems with Perdud’s 44 illeagal campaign flights?

RSimmons
2015 years 8 months ago

I thought he did an ok job running Charlotte, He has been a fairly reliable supporter of public education and mass transit. I’m going to vote for a Democrat but If McCrory wins I won’t be jumping off any high bridge.We could do a lot worse

SurfCityTom
2015 years 8 months ago

the same data required of any candidate. No More; No Less.

Where’s your problem with that.

AS you appear to be a Democrat, you might focus on your own party’s candidate. So far, no one credible has stepped up to the plate.

Guest111
2015 years 8 months ago

Who is the woman on the Star News page with her hand on his arm? She looks very interested. Hope it’s the misses. ha

Old Man
2015 years 8 months ago

He’d be a fool to release it…especially to muckraking WWAY. If there was one thing in there that could hurt him, out of 1,000…this bunch would make it sound like it was the single most driving thing about his existence.

Peyton Garrett
2015 years 8 months ago

Read the article. WWAY wasn’t asking for His financial info, the NC Democratic Party was doing the asking. The Dems should also be careful what they ask for as I am sure there is a Big Can of Worms for them. He should submit only what is required when it is required.

Jennifer HudsonLIB
2015 years 8 months ago

He should make an agreement with the Dems: when they produce indisputable, irrefutable, undeniable, unimpeachable proof of Barack Hussein Obama’s citizenship, he should release his income info.

GuestReality
2015 years 8 months ago

28472
2015 years 8 months ago

makes Mccroy so credible ? Big Banking money in Charlotte ?