Police identify crash victims, say none had seat belts on

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 02/14/2012 - 8:38pm
Updated: Wed, 02/15/2012 - 1:31pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Several families are mourning tonight after a car crash killed three people last night in Wilmington. It happened at 10:22 p.m. in the Forest Hills neighborhood. Investigators say a SUV with four people slammed into a tree.

The driver, Raphael Samuel, 22, of Wilmington, and and two passengers, Shatia Hankins, 25 of Wilmington, and Yashica White, 22, of Leland, died. A fourth passenger, 30-year-old Demond Jones, of Wilmington, survived.

Alongside debris from the crash, Tuesday friends dropped off flowers.

“Life is too short,” said Cornelius Nixon, a friend of Samuel. “That’s all I can say, man. You see a person here, and then they’re gone the next day… Life is too short man.”

Several residents is Forest Hills say the impact was so bad that it felt like the suv had actually hit their home.

Wilmington police say Hankins and White died at the scene. Jones and Samuel were taken to the hospital, where Samuel died.

“Like I said, he’s a good friend. That’s all I can say about him. He was a good friend,” Nixon said.

The cause of the crash is still being looked into. Police say a WPD officer spotted the vehicle driving without lights just moments before the crash. That officer then turned around to follow the SUV, keeping his lights and siren off. Detectives say the vehicle took off, and moments later the officer found the SUV smashed against this tree.

Police say none of the people in the SUV had their seat belt on at the time of the crash.

• John says:

–80mph or so in a residential neighborhood where the speed limit is 25.
    –Speeding through a school zone. Yes I know it was 1030pm but its still a school zone.
    –No Seatbelts
    –Drugs found in the car
    –Driving without headlights at 1030pm
    –Trying to evade police.

The stupid shall be punished. The only good thing to come out of this is that these morons did not kill anyone else. This is a high foot traffic neighborhood where people are walking with their kids or dogs at all hours. I am also glad that the oak tree stopped them short before they were able to careen into someone’s living room. I do feel bad for the victim’s families. No one should have to go through losing a loved one, but everyone in that car was in some way responsible for this tragic accident.

And before anyone says I should mind my own business, well this accident occurred a few hundred yard from my house, so it could have been my living room these idiots crashed into instead of that oak tree.

• Grand Ole Party says:

The only postive thing about all this is that three out of the four will no longer be around to commit crimes anymore. Positive enough for you?

• withsympathy says:

As I said before, this is not the time or place to judge or point fingers. I guess some people don’t get that. I did not know any of these young victims or their families, but the fact remains there are lives lost and loved ones left behind.If people can’t offer condolences or fond memories to share, they should just keep the negative comments to themselves and allow the families to grieve with respect. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all of the friends and families of these young victims of thie horible tragedy.

• Das Weibstück says:

Whatever… The Darwin Award is his.

• Emily says:

I need to grow up? Please Milo. Why don’t you reread my comment and stop making snap judgements about not only me, but the victims. None of those offenses have anything to do with poor driving habits as the person above me seemed to think by bringing up their criminal past. I am simply stating that maybe we don’t need to dig up dirt on every single person that ever has had something bad happen to them and just pay a little respect to the people that loved them. I hope you had a wonderful day yesterday spending it with those you love as these 4 families will never be the same.

• Disgusted says:

I agree with you 100% I don’t see how people can be so insensitive. I didn’t know all of them but I know shatia and I know she was someones daughter, someones mother, someones sister. I find it to be disgusting that people have to speak about them that way. What happened happened and we cannot change lets please allow these families to morn them without anyone negative conments they already have enough to deal with have some respect. If it was your family you would want the same. the families will be in my prayers.

• Guest CommonTater says:

So now we look for someone else to blame….. This country is suffering from people not accepting responsibility for personal actions. It’s never because of bad choices eh? pffttt!! A petition against the police? How stupid a thing to suggest.Grow up!

I hope the family finds peace.

• who are you to judge says:

To all the people who were so concerned with their records GET A LIfE! For real loses their life and you are concerned about their past records. seriously everyone makes misteaks even the ones pointing their fingers and turning up their noses. You arent god so fortunatly your feelings dont matter. Thanks god! remember you will be judged too! I wonder what they will say about you!

• Brian says:

…and if he had turned on his lights, then he’d have been blamed for making them run and the crash would have been his fault. I just love the American mentality.

• Wife of the surviver says:

Yes he WAS a convicted felon Yes he did do time and that part of him is done! Demond is a father a husband and a friend to many ppl and if you know him like I do you would know he IS a changed man!! God has a plan for my husband and it IS going to play out!!

• Easha says:

I LOST MY PRECIOUS BIG COUSIN LAST NIGHT. YES IM MAD AND UPSET BECAUSE IM NOT GOING TO SEE HER NOMORE .. ALL MY LOVE GOES OUT TO EVERY ONE WHO LOST SOME ONE CLOSE TO THEM. NEVER TAKE ANYBODY FOR GRANTED CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHEN YOU GOING TO LOSE THEM.. R..II.PP BIG COUSIN (YASHICA)!!! IM TRYING TO STAY STRONG CAUSE SHE HAD PLANS SHE MADE WITH HER KIDS SHE TRUELY LOVED AND WILL ALWAYZ LOVE THEM….TO UNCLE ANTONIAL KEEP YOUR HEAD UP AND LOVE YOU VERY MUCH AND TO HER LOVABLE BROTHER WATCH OVER THE FAMILIE AND KEEP YOUR HEADS UP TOO LOVE YALL!!!!! IN TEARS

The background information is relevant in that it points out the most probable reason why the driver was speeding. It is most likely that the criminal spotted a police officer and without regard for anyone else, he began travelling at a high rate of speed in a residential area in order to avoid the officer.

The police officer did not drive that van at a high rate of speed through a residential neighborhood. That officer did not run off the road and hit that tree. That police officer did not prevent those four people from wearing their seat belts. That police officer made an observation that the lights were off then he turned around to observe the vehicle. As far as I know there is no law that says that the police officer must turn his lights and sirens on when he sees a suspect vehicle.

With the criminal background of the driver, if the officer had turned his lights and sirens on, the driver probably would have gone even faster than he already was. If that had happened, then the story might have ended in more tragedy had they approached other vehicles or any pedestrians. As it turns out, only the ones in the wrong were injured or lost their lives. And by not turning his lights and sirens on it is possible that that officer saved innocent lives from being lost.

It probably does have everything to do with this car crash because they were probably speeding in order to distance themselves from the police officer.

Driving with no seatbelt. . . WRONG THING TO DO Driving with no lights. . . INSANE THING TO DO Driving at a fast rate of speed. . . WRONG THING TO DO. . . It’s a shame three kids died in this wreck but they did contribute 100 percent to the cause. My symphathy to the families.

• A Mom of a Angel... says:

I had the same knock on my door on 9/11/10 and was told my daughter wasn’t coming home .. she went to Heaven that early morning around 2:45am and so did 2 of her friends. and only one survied .. and it is a Mother and Fathers worst nightmare.. Please wear your seatbelts and watch your speed because it can save your life instead of leaving all your loves one behind… I wish my Angel( Daughter) so much and no matter how much I try I can’t bring her back but I will always have my perious memories… My Prayers go out to each and every one of yall…

• Tracie C says:

I feel terrible for the families of these kids. But…how many people who drive in this town will take a lesson here? Not many. In reality, the selfish actions of the driver of this SUV are what caused this accident. Don’t like this comment? Tough. If more people would have concern for the safety of others on the road there wouldn’t be a need for stories like this. This is an awfully high price to pay to be “cool”.

• withsympathy says:

My condolences go out to the families and friends of those lost in this horrible tragedy. I do hope that the readers who post here take a moment and think about what they are about to write. This is not the time for criticism or judgement, but a time to support those who lost loved ones.

• Mojorisen says:

If she was so great she would not been casing a nice neigborhood with her fine upstanding companions and would most likely still be breathing.Your friends are a direct reflection of your-self. Riding with the lights off is not normal and would lead most people to think they where up to no good. Then to run for no other reason than the cop turned around just kind of seals the deal.

Really, where in the news report does it say anything about drugs being in the car?

• Guest BT says:

Dear Mom of an Angel … My heart and prayers go out to you.

From a parent who lost a child and know’s what it’s like to get “that knock” on the door.

• vaught-mcdonald says:

• Grand Ole Party says:

Eating okra makes me sick to my stomach, so guess how I handle that problem? I don’t eat it. Pretty simple solution wouldn’t you say? If you don’t like the posts on here, DON’T READ THEM!!!!

• crystal says:

You shouldnt judge people. Just because someone has a record does not mean that they were any danger to you! Did you ever ask yourself what kind of predicament they were in to do what the “LAW” says they did? Now since im sure you have not thought about that here’s some perspective i am a white female 26 years old and i was raised in a good home.I had a baby at 18 and my childs fathers mother was Indian , so she was put at the top of the New Hanover county housing list! So we moved to creek wood. The first thing I would say is that there are some wonderful people who live there and have lived there for 20 + years. The second is that at first it was very hard to live there for me. When I first got there I had police pulling me over every time I pulled out of creek wood EVERY TIME , Like 3,4,5 times a day. They were judging me! They thought I was buying drugs! Then I got to know some people some good some bad. some good people with a record and some bad people with a record. Now let me ask you if the bad people have records and sell drugs who do you think buy those drugs?? The rich kids, the rich men , the poor drug addict who has to beg bum and ROB people to get his drugs, the doctors , you might say no not the doctors, but I say yes they do. How do you think they get though med school. with that being said let me ask you who you think would rob you or rape you first a drug dealer with a pocket full of money who im sure If they wanted a girl they could pick one up with no problem or a drug addict wanting to get high or already high wanting sex..Also this country has turned away from god in so many ways. we need to find Jesus and read his word. Matthew 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. Matthew 7:2 For with what judgement ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. Matthew 7:5 Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brothers eye. To the family Matthew 5:4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Ya know I really think a petition should be brought against YOU, and have you declared legally stupid. The funny thing about your post is that had the officer turned activated the blue lights and siren you would have complained that this action caused them to hit the tree and die. How in the name of all that is unholy IS NOT TURNING on the blue lights using to much authority?? But yes, all this could have been avoided, by simply avoiding the tree.

• Hesper says:

My heart goes out for the dead, but know that the driver was a convicted felon —
    Raphael Samuel, 22:
    COMMON LAW ROBBERY (PRINCIPAL)
    POSSESS SCHEDULE I (PRINCIPAL)
    DRUG PARA – USE/POSSESS (PRINCIPAL)
    POSSESSING STOLEN GOODS (PRINCIPAL)
    WANTON INJ PER/PROP $200 & LS (PRINCIPAL)

• Das Weibstück says:

Lights off and took off when they saw the cop…. wonder who they were about to rob?

• Emily says:

That is neither here nor there that they had a criminal history. It is also kind of funny that you would mention that as none of those offenses have anything to do with driving.

• Anonymous says:

This is true. He does have a criminal background. I went and looked myself. The police probably spooked him when they went past.

• LAWRENCE LENNON says:

YOU GOT A POINT BUT NO HEART. IF U SAY THAT THERE GOING TO HELL RIGHT? THEN U MUST BELIEVE THERE IS HEAVEN RIGHT? THEN U MUST BE KNOW THERE IS A GOD AND HE IS THE ONLY!!!!!!! I REPEAT THE ONLY!!! PERSON WHO CAN JUDGE WHO GOES TO HEAVEN OR HELL. WHAT IF ALL THE LAWS THAT WE LIVE BY WHERE WRONGE? WAT IF THEY DID WAT THEY WHERE PUT HERE TO DO AND IT WAS THERE TIME TO GO. THEY WERENT PERFECT BUT THEY HAD ALOT OF YEARS OF CHURCH I KNOW I WAS THERE I WAS IN SERVICE I PLAYED THE DRUMS THATS MY LIL BROTHER THAT WAS DRIVING SO IM A FIRST TO KNOW IF THEY WHERE GOD ABIDING AS FAR AS THEM ON EVERYDAY LIFE HE HELPED ALOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW HE DID ALOT OF GREAT THINGS THAT I DONT HAVE TO TELL U OR ANY BODY ELSE ON HERE ABOUT CAUSE I KNOW AND U TRYNA FIND OUT!!! HAHAHA GET A LIFE!!!!

• Amie Brown says:

I did not have the oppertunity to know these young people but as a resident of Leland my heart goes out to each and everyone of their family members and friends. I have lost alot of family and friends to accidents and can only imagine what you must be feeling. Please know that in time the pain of loosing someone will fade, but their memories will alway’s remain.
    Please keep in mind people, reguardless of the circumstances behind this accident, that the family and friends of these young men and women have lost someone that they love and care about very much. Word can hurt so please keep that in mind when you are posting things on here.

• LAWRENCE LENNON says:

LETS SAY YOU ARE LATE FOR A BUSSINESS MEETING AND YOU RUNNIN LATE OR YOUR WIFE IS LATE FOR HER APPOINTMENT AT THE NAIL PLACE AND SHE SPEEDING TO GET THERE (AND I PROMISE U THERE IS PLENTY OF PAPER WORK ON IT). THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE A RECORD BUT THEY STILL BROKE THE LAW!! SO THERE WRONGE, AND THEY ALSO TRYNA DOWN THERE COFFEE THEN THROW THAT OUT THE WINDOW DRIVING THRU THE HOOD. THEN THEY LOOK BOTH WAYS FOR COPS AND WHEN ITS CLEAR YALL RUN THE STOP LIGHT. THATS ALL BREAKING THE LAW AND IF U KEEP THAT UP AND NOT GETTING CAUGHT OR BOTHERED BY THE POLICE U COULD BE NEXT OR WORST

• Guest Lee says:

While I understand your frustration about negative comments on this forum, the fact is that this IS a public forum where anyone can post any thoughts, negative or positive, on a posted article. If the family doesn’t want to see nagative things on this site, they should look somewhere else for comfort.

People are going to post what they want, when they want; and there’s no stopping them. Families would be better off talking to other family members, church families, and friends, if they want positve feedback. None of these type forums are know for happy, touchy-feelie type postings. It’s just a simple fact.

• Mitch says:

Demond Jones — only surviver — is also a convicted Felon: ROBBERY W/DANGEROUS WEAPON (PRINCIPAL) served 6 years + 5 months, convicted in NHC. Also one female passenger has misdemeanor record. So 3/4 were recently engaged in criminal activity. This can be confirmed by doing an “offender search” at the NC Dept. of Corrections website.

• JudgeNot says:

Dear Mitch – Demond Jones is a common name, so where is your proof that he is the the same person you looked up? And if it is the same person, does that make him a bad person for being a convicted felon? What exactly is your point in bringing up POSSIBLE prior convictions? Let their families grieve and go bother someone else with your useless and inaccurate information.

I think the criminal background of the deceased men in the car is very important — these were hardened criminals — and from judging from the comments of family members and friends (many of which are themselves felons, just run their names through NC Dept. of Corrections “Offender Search”) they only looked the other way and acted to enable a life of drug use and mischief. What about the victims of their robberies? What about the safety of the children in Forest Hills? The battery of the SUV flew in the air 150 feet after impact — could have killed a sleeping child in a home. This was not an accident, but rather years of poor decision making culminating in an reckless event. Stop telling me “their in heaven now” because there is the thing called judgement and hellfire.

• SurfCityTom says:

will you try to make something positive from this?

Will you stress the importance of using seat belts?

At least 2, if not all of the deceased, would likely have survived had they been wearing seatbelts.

So why not do more than just promote yourself? Turn this tragedy into a lesson for all.

I would like to know what their records have to do with the fact that these people are deceased. Ignorance like this upsets me !!

• Elizabeth says:

Peoples lives were taken, now is not the time for heartless BS about their criminal records. Families still mourn, people have died, and its unfortunate that people like you choose to post ignorant posts at a time of grief and heartache.

• Mitch says:

WWAY — The guy Ramon interviewed above — Cornelius Nixon, a friend of Samuel (deceased) who is quoted saying “”Life is too short,” has himself a major criminal background. Gee Whiz! “Birds of of a feather stick together it seems…”

KIDNAPPING 2ND DEGREE (ATTEMPTED)
    INDECENT LIBERTY W/CHILD (PRINCIPAL)
    CRIME AGAINST NATURE (PRINCIPAL)
    DELINQ OF MINOR (PRINCIPAL)
    POSSESS SCHEDULE II (PRINCIPAL) — two counts at different dates
    DRUG PARA – USE/POSSESS (PRINCIPAL)

Confirm on NC Offender website — FYI don’t be pals with felons.

• Guestsc says:

how dare you sit here and talk about a dead persons pass and what they may or may nit have done you are just sick you dont even know these people i use to chill with these people on a day to day bases they are not bad people at all like i said before you dont know there struggle so dont come on here saying anything if you dont know them on a personal level because in the end god dont like ugly so in the end these people will always get the last laugh and they are in the heaven gates no longer with a stuggle god bless you for being so rude and people like you wonder why the world the way it is its because of hateful people as your self god bless you

But you are wrong. Criminal acts are not mistakes but active conscious choices. Just because they are now dead doesn’t make them saints. It just makes them dead criminals.

• Chris Cromartie Jr. says:

Why does everything has to be negative from this post as u dnt see he attempted to change his old aspects of life around by going to Cape Fear Community College so why bash him of old charges there were young and very disorganized by being negative doesn’t change how good of a person he is/was so I would respect you more if you don’t talk about my brother like this if you have a problem with not confronting me face to face then I suggest u shut the heck up about what you don’t kno abt sum one point blank period this is a equal comment on my behalf not a threat its a promise. Don’t go talk about people you don’t know. #just sayn (chris_cromartiejr@hotmail.com)

• FuDog Nanchu says:

The actions of one’s past does not decrease the value of a life.
    To rush and pass judgement like you have does nothing but decrease the value of your own self worth. Furthermore it shows not only that you are a judgmental individual it proves that you have a lack of compassion for others and their families. It displays the negative character of the person you are and your first comment is disturbing and cruel enough although I know none of you, to make others and myself come to the conclusion that if you were one of the deceased, then this world just might possibly be a more positive place.
    There is a time and place for everything, and while factual, this was neither the time or place for such atrocious a post.

• nobody says:

Who cares about what the victim of the crash was convicted of in his past..?? Ignorant people. My family member survived by the grace of God and thats what matters…stop your ignorance. And mt heart goes out to the friends and familt of the driver and other victims of this horrific event…

• me says:

Your comment about this event is so ignorant. who cares what their record is.?? It has NOTHING TO DO WUTH THIS CAR CRASH.

• me says:

YOU ARE SO IGNORANT AND HATEFUL. THEY WERE NOT OUT TO ROB ANYONE. UTS UNKOWN WHY THE DRIVER GOT SPOOKED BUT HE WAS SPEEDING THROUGH FOREST HILLS NOT ROBBING IT. HATEFUL MEAN PERSON U ARE.

• HOLLOW TIP PRODUCTIONS says:

RIP Ralph and the two girls!! hollow tip is supporting the family and will be in market north shooting a video this week inviting everyone to join or come out and support, be sure to add hollow tips facebook page facebook.com/hollowtipproductions/
    or on twitter @hollowtip910

• U.will.never.know says:

SO WHAT if the driver had a crimial background.. That dont give you the right to post it on here^^ It has nothing to do with it at all. ok Maybe he was drinking and driving and he shouldnt have, But you are so dis respectful to post that on here…

• Ashley says:

What does him having a criminal background have to do with his death. His past mistakes has absolutely nothing to do with his current status. It saddens me that you have to take out time to look up his faults instead of properly mourning. STOP LOOKING TO MAKE A SITUATION WORST BY YOUR NEGATIVE COMMENTS! You have no respect for the families or the problem at hand, find something better to do with your time than digrading his name.

• Ashley says:

Stop talking about the dead and injured in such a negative light. What the heck are yall problems. How dare you decide to post negative information about the victims at hand. We have 3 people dead and one serverly injured and all you have time to do is look up their criminal backgrounds and post up that information and automatically assume the worst of these you indivisuals. That only shows you have no time on your hands and want nothing morethan to feel superior by bringing the life of another to shame. You should feel shamed to have to degrade another to make yourself feel better….

• cierra winston says:

I cant explain how hurt i am to hear such news my heart goes out to the other families who have also lost someone in the crash… You know they say things happen for a reason and put it in gods hands that this had to happen for a reason…smh it hurts me to see how ruthless you naive people are in wilmington when all you do is slang names after their deaths…its ashame and it makes me think that you people just rather throw dirt on them than rather say how sorry you are to the families instead pointing fingers….smh what it was someone in your family or someone you knew that was in the accident….and for the police department to even begin to put their criminal history means nothing t but hatred to the situation ima need for them to get it together……. I LOVE YOU ALWAYS AND FOREVER MAY YOU REST IN PARADISE RAPHAEL SAMUELS…. <3

• flwrlily says:

Ya know I really think a petition should be brought against the police officers, had they turned on there lights and sirens they could have startled them or alerted them to know there lights were not on. What a terrible tragedy a total shame, for the unnecessary act that could have been prevented, or at least tried to prevent it. I am disgusted with the police they are using to much of authority. May God comfort and Bless the families.

• GuestName says:

Three people lost their lives and the survivor who happens to be my cousin is seriously injured and all you have to think about is looking up his criminal record! How about you take the time to think about them all people someone’s child, parent, brother or sister. Whether anyone had a criminal record has nothing to do with this accident.

• Unknown says:

YES, YES, YES! This comment was definately worth reading. And I totally agree. Judge Not!!!!!!

• Unknown says:

You said you feel bad for their families, yet you call them idiots. I will say a prayer for you as well. You definately need it.

Maybe not, but it would explain why he was speeding after he saw the police officer.

• Jeri says:

Why did the officer not put on his lights? What does the victim’s record have to do with the accident.

Sounds fishy to me.

• in shock says:

I am so amazed at some of these comments. No matter what happend there were children left behind I knew shatia she was my friend and her baby is just the sweetest thing in the world these were young ppl who worked for a living had children to take care of and were enjoying their youth so if you didnt know them personally please dont judge because alot of ppl are suffering right now

It is sad that we had 3 people die at once. BUT after looking at there records all I can say is the City of Wilmington is now a safer place to live. Sorry family and friends but the truth hurts.

I stand corrected. I had heard this was teenagers when in fact they are adults. Based on their history and what they were doing that night I would say they were up to no good. Why run from the police? That’s a dead giveaway.

• dittos says:

Guess it’s not true only the good die young.

• Response says:

So what exactly does a person’s criminal history have to do with the death of three people? The survivor maybe a convicted felon but thats irrelevant to the fact, grow up!

• dittos88 says:

Seems some of the readers did think before they posted. They did back ground research on them. Sure did enlighten me!

• milo says:

Nothing to do with driving?? These idiots were driving at 10 P.M. without headlights on. They see a cop pass them and speed away. HMMMM, wanna bet they find something illegal when they search the vehicle? Grow up!

• Appreciating LIFE says:

and what relevance does any of this have to do in their deaths? someone lost a family member, friend, son/daughter and your speaking on their downfalls. do you know anything positive about them ? did you also include that in your search ? im sure you didnt smh. youre a worthless human being.

• Annonymous says:

I do not know anyone that was in this wreck, but reading some of these post makes me sick to my stomach. People act like because of someones past that makes them dying okay. IT DOESN’T! I can not begin to imagine how these peoples families feel, much less how they feel getting on here reading some of the post people are putting. I can honestly say that just because some of them had records doesn’t mean they “deserve what they get”…..I was raped when I was 8 years old, and as mad as I am at the man who done it to me, if he was to get out of prison and get killed in a car crash, I would not get on here and post negative things about him, not because he’s a great person but because I know that he does have a family, and I would not want to hurt them for what he done in his past! Therefore, with that being said, if you don’t have anything positive to say to these families, then stay off here! This is not a place for your negative thoughts. Keep them to yourself! R.I.P. to the ones that lost their lives, and for the one who survived, may you recover well. Also, to the family and friends, you are in our thoughts and prayers!

• Pray without ceasing...love, show mercy, and mercy says:

I have prayed and will continue to pray for all of the families involved…and I will also be praying for those that are judging and being inconsiderate to these families and their loved ones…May God Bless you all…and to the families and friends of all of the young people involved my deepest sympathies….We all need prayer and to pray for our youth…there are also small children involved….please have repspect in the same manner you all would want respect at a time like this.

• u_dont_need_2_know_me says:

As I sit here and read all of the messages that people have posted, I am embarrased to say I am a resident of this county, (less than a year). From everything I have gathered so far this is the most outlandish county and the police (some not all) are criminals themselves, and how dare them to call out others for breaking the law. Now for the young adults that lost thier lives in such a tragedy let them Rest In Peace, there lives are over and nothing else good or bad will ever change that fact.
    I am sure if the people that are posting useless information on here would look at themselves and/or the people around them and check thier backyard before calling out others. How many times have you done something illegal and just never got caught whether it be something as simple as speeding, littering, or something more serious.
    To the families of the deceased, my heart goes out to you, and to the children that have lost a parent I know that God can comfort each one of you, because my children lost thier father several years ago (death by military complications). Let the children hold on to the positive memories and keep the negative thoughts and comments to yourself, dont you think that the families are dealing with enough already.
    To the survivoir my heart also goes out to you, because you are left behind to endure the pain and constant replays of that night forever in your mind, not to mention the loss of your friends. But God has a plan for your life and maybe he is trying to wake you and God has allowed you another day to get your life together and surrender to Him.
    For the citizens of this county: It appears that alot of you need to Grow Up! God has the final say so and the bible says Let he without sin cast the first stone, if I were you I would keep my mouth shut and keep your opinion to yourself, it may be you sitting in the same place one day with your children or family member.

Demond Jones is a common name?

• kblue2221984 says:

No one deserves this. Too young :( Prayers to the family and friends…….. Say’s who? Say’s Kblue!

• Grand Ole Party says:

What part of it SOUNDS fishy to you stupid? Why is that fishy? Officers follow cars, it’t part of the investigation process. Any further stupid questions?

• Guestfedup says:

The speeders in this town are terrible. I see it every day, thank God they didn’t hit some innocent person. My condolences to the families involved.

In a 24 minute drive I saw 6 separate police cars had 6 separate cars pulled over in a 2 mile stretch of Dow Road and Lake Park Boulevard on Saturday February 11 between 11 a.m. and 11:20 a.m. Great way to have visitors enter towns to shop on a Saturday.

• ILMNC Native says:

I doubt (but hope) these folks were wearing their seat belts. Such a simple thing that can potentially save your life.

No matter where you sit in a vehicle please put on your seat belt.

It could mean the difference.

• CCRES says:

Drive like you have some brains and none of this will matter.

• ILMNC Native says:

Carolina Beach cops are known to be pretty ruthless. I think they are in a category all their own. Please don’t compare them to WPD. Thanks.

If speeding wasn’t an issue then the police officers wouldn’t have to pull them over. I hate driving in Wilmington. I go into panic mode every time I cross the bridge going into Wilmington.

• FAMILY says:

RIP I LOVE YOU COUSIN!!! THE WHOLE FAMILY WILL MISS YOU AND REMEMBER YOU!!!

ALWAYS IN MY HEART (DWAYNE NIXON)

• Guestsureis says:

great way for non law abiding citizens to “welcome” weekend shoppers into town.

• Lilly says:

Look here cops in Wilmington & CB are doing their jobs. They are here to protect us and our community. Carolina beach is small town family oriented you have your locals and your tourist. People come to our town to get away! Speed limits are posted for a reason. Yes this is the off season for CB so they are doing what they need to do. If you get a speeding ticket in CB you deserve it if you were speeding. If you weren’t take it to court. If you get a speeding ticket it will make you think twice next time about speeding.

I am glad they had so many people on Dow pulled over last weekend! they are doing their jobs. Y’all don’t understand speed kills.

Think of it this way if the cop hadn’t pulled that driver or drivers over for speeding and that driver(s) hurt, or killed someone or killed them selves how would that make you feel. So maybe that speeding ticket they get could save someones life!

Also on Forest Hills road where the young adults / teenagers were traveling there are speed bumps thru out that whole street. So i am sure they were out joy riding getting a thrill of speeding and hitting a speed bump. Well their joy ride killed them and injured one. Speed bumps are in place for a reason. It’s a matter if drivers being smart and not being stupid. Now the families must live the rest of their lives without their kids. Also the parents of the teenager who was driver has it worse knowing their son or daughter who was driving killed not only him or her self but 2 other lives.

Think about that next time you see radar set up!

• Island Resident says:

I would rather them be ruthless than be slack. I am not saying the WPD is slack by any means. Just like in Wrightsville Beach, we get a lot of tourist traffic, which can be dangerous as a lot of times they don’t know where they are going. Also, keep in mind on Dow Rd. there are so many deer (white tail deer kill more people each year than sharks do) that drivers need to keep an eye out for. I just don’t understand why people always feel the need to critize all PD’s. Either they do their job too well or not well enough in peoples opinion. Until you are in their shoes, just be happy we have people who are willing to do that job.

• Guest Reply says:

If I have a choice of 1. letting unsafe drivers get their way so they can shop in our city…or 2. having them pulled over and cited for unsafe movements…I pick #2 every time. This city needs as much support from police patrol on our streets as we can get…hands down!!!
    Try living in a bigger (or major city), and as you witness more police patrolling on their streets then here…maybe you won’t criticize seeing 6 vehicles pulled over by police. One of those 6 could have nailed you by running a red light/rear ended you/etc. Thank the police for pulling them…don’t complain. But from your comments I don’t believe you’ll listen to much reason any way…will you?

If you’ve spent any time here at all, you must realize that there are tons of “armchair” professionals. All the way from lawyers, to engineers, to doctors and…yes…police too.

A bunch of faceless “experts” that sit back in their cushy armchair that criticize, judge and demean, but likely wouldn’t know the business end from the butt of a weapon.

But, it’s open forum here. My experience with police has always been positive, I’m not a criminal and therefore have no disdain. I’ve lived at Carolina Beach for over 8 years now, been through many public events and license checks. Never had a problem one.

• Abby says:

Speed and ignorance kills. Speeds bumps are intended to SLOW people down not speed driver over it loose control and crash into a tree.

How stupid are you to think the city would be charged in this. Its called teens, speed, and inexperience.

Also when they cop swerved to hit the box if he hadn’t been chasing after someone he never would have swerved, and got into an accident. So rightfully so the suspect got charged as he should have been.

24 minutes to travel a 2-mile stretch of Dow Rd. while witnessing 6 seperate drivers pulled over?? What were you driving, a 1958 schwinn tricycle with a busted pedal and a flat spot on the front tire? Geeeeez……
    DOH!!!! It just occurred to me. Maybe YOU were one of those pulled over and is why it you you so long to go 2 miles?

• RSimmons says:

The cops in Carolina Beach and Wrghtsville Beach can be a hassle but if you drive the speed limit and don’t try to beat the traffic lights they largely leave you alone. You don’t see traffic regularly going 15 mph or more over the speed limit in those towns like we do here in Wilmington. I would like to see WPD and NHCSO both take a more aggressive approach on enforcing speed limits on Wilmington streets and arterials.

• Guest Redneck Across the River says:

Take it from a former officer………many things besides speeding will get you pulled. A burned out brake lamp, crossing the center line, failure to signal, failure to stop at a stop sign…the list goes on. Just because a car was stopped by LEO does not mean they were speeding.

If the speed bump caused the accident, can Wilmington be held accountable? Before you say “no”, it was the speeder’s fault, remember the cop that was killed a while back on Shipyard answering a call. He swerved to miss a box in the road, lost control and hit a tree. The guy the other cops were chasing was charged with his death. So, ponder your answer before you post it. My point is, if the speed bump had not been there, would they have been alive today regardless of their speeding?

• GuestNobodyKnows says:

go back a few weeks on WWAY’s website. There was a single car traffic fatality on Dow Rd. in which the driver’s vehicle rolled over several times. The driver was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected. It doesn’t take a certified reconstructionist to determine that speed was a factor in that accident. Let’s not even call it an accident because it was completely avoidable. Good for CBPD for enforcing the law. After all, it’s for the safety of the public!

• CCRES says:

If Dodge had not made the vehicle, would they have been in that SUV driving along? Lawsuit against Dodge?
    Had someone not planted that tree at that location, they would not have hit it. Lawsuit against the tree planter?
    Had someone not produced the gas to go in that vehicle and sold it to them, they would not have been able to drive it. Lawsuit against the fuel refinery and the station that sold it?
    Point is…..that is a stupid question and our court system has failed us allowing all of these ridiculous lawsuits.

• Das Weibstück says:

Actually that tree may have saved others lives cause if it had not stopped them they might have hit a house.

• Wade Griffis says:

I am sorry that three young people lost their lives. It is a tragedy.

One of those young people could have been the researcher that discovered the cure for cancer. Another could have been the person who would become Mayor, in a town desperately in need of leadership.

The other might have chosen to be a mother and raise the future president of the country. Or, maybe just a decent human being.

Either way, it is tragic to loose these young people. We must remember, though, that actions produce consequences.

Abby..looks like you missed the whole point. Please read my post again. Even though they were speeding, they might not have lost their lives had the city chosen not to place a hazard in the roadway. Think about it…even those with the most feeble minds should understand this.

Ponder this, too, the tree was not in the traveled portion of the road. The Dodge was meant to transport poeple on roadways. Placing any obsticle in the ROADWAY that could cause someone to lose control of his vehicle even if they ARE speeding should not be done. Private areas or parking lots, OK, but public streets, no. I feel that this is something that should be challenged in court. I personally think the plaintiffs would have a good case.

• Guest beachlover says:

Mr. Officers give visitors a break! I saw this too on Saturday from my motor vehicle. CB cops had people pulled over about every half mile from the bridge until I turned and crossed back into town on Harper and back down Lake Park Blv. Then back across the bridge. I stopped at McDonald’s drive-thru and the Charter office and had to turn right on Dow Rd. since it’s a mandatory right turn from the back of the Charter office! A Saturday morning in the middle of winter is not the time to make visitors and locals coming into town feel like they need to send an alert message to all their friends to stay off the roads! Who is in charge of police training down there since the Chief left in that scandal?

. . on the story here. Three people lost their lives.

I agree with you. I got pulled for out of date tags last year. I guess maybe I shouldn’t have been so specific with my statement. Here’s my correction: If you aren’t breaking any traffic laws then you shouldn’t have to worry about being pulled.

• Unknown says:

This is the same story that come to mind when I started reading these comments. And that is all I will say.

• A friend of the survivor says:

Yes Demond Jones have made mistakes in the past,.alot of us have.It doesnt change the fact that he changed his life after serving his prison sentence.He has beautiful kids and hes a great father to them.He has a heart of gold and loves .everyone. I didnt know the other people in the car but if they were friends with Demond then you can count on them being good.people too.My condolenses go out to all the families and I pray god give you the strength to get pass this.Demond get well your family needs you love and RIP to all the angels that were called home.

• FAMILY says:

I LOVE YOU AN MISS YOU ALREADY RAPHIEL!! THE WHOLE FAMILY DOES.. WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE AND REMEMBER YOU!!

ALWAYS IN MY HEART YOUR

COUSIN DWAYNE NIXON

• Lilly says:

Speed kills, young kids speed out late at night. Never a good mixture. I bet you the were speed towards Wrightsville Ave hit the speed bump right past the elementary school and lost control and hit the tree. Their are speeds bumps in that area for a reason.

It’s sad that teenagers and young adults don’t understand that speed kills. They don’t get it until a loved one, friend, co-workers etc are killed. Now the community has been impacted by the loss of 3 friends, son, and daughters.

Will the teenagers ever get it or not?

• Praying Hard says:

To the people who are on here talking negatively about people who are deceased and judging them as well. I come right now to lift up a heavenly prayer for it is never okay to do such. Father right now I come to you in prayer for the lives that are lost, they can’t rest in peace because of the negativity that is posted on this page. Father God I would like to pray for the souls that are on here talking negatively about the lives that were taken. Let them understand that it was your will despite what they may feel. Lord let them know that judging is a sin, the only one who is able to judge and that is you God.(Matthew 7 verse 1, Luke 6 verse 37, John 8 verse 7) Lord touch their hearts to let them know that they are not perfect Lord and that it is a praying time, not a time to be negative. Lord that if we as a people can join together and agree that yes they should have been wearing sets belts, that yes they should not have been speeding, and yes that they may have been out doing what they were not supposed to that their family IS NOT at fault for their actions and that they were loved as well and leave behind a family that is missing them as well as hurting. Death of a family member is never easy Lord so let their hearts be softened, let the hate and negativity cease because it fixes nothing Lord. God please forgive the negative people for it is clear they don’t have the love of Jesus. Father God my heart is crying out to you for change, because this is not your will. God I pray in Jesus name amen. Think about the things you say and do because they can really hurt. And I’m pretty sure the families are going through enough hurt as is, they could really go without coming on here and seeing the negativity and evilness. Devil I rebuke you in the name of Jesus.

• NOYB says:

WHO ARE ANY OF YA’LL TO JUDGE?! If you did not know these people personally then you should not speak about them… PERIOD!

• Anonymous says:

Does anyone on here ever think about the families that read these comments that have lost the lives of their young ones. And all you do is sit on here and argue about police, speeding, seat belts, and etc. OK they were speeding and not wearing seat belts. EVERYONE makes mistakes, NO ONE on this earth is perfect. What you should be doing is sending condolences to the families that lost someone special to them last night. I send my condolences to the families that lost their loved ones last night. And for what it’s worth i hope these words may lift your spirits if only for a second. God has a plan for everyone some sooner than later. Stay strong in this time of hardship and may god bless these families. You watched over them when they were here and now they’re watching over you. God Bless!

you just talking to dead souls. They dont care about emotions or feelings of other people who have lost love ones. They dont even know what the word condolences mean. They just hide behind their keyboard and make comments in the worst situations of people lives. They who do this have never dealt with death or losing someone close to them if they even have a relationship to call close. My condolences to the families and know that people are still in this world who care and grieve along with you! You have my prayers.

Thanks for writing this. I saw the comments this morning. They were so cold, jabbering on about seat belts, cops, speeders, blame, etc. while one person was trying to process his grief. He and his pain were invisible in the face of their crass indifference. For all of you who lost family or friends in this horrible incident, my heart goes out to you and I wish you strength of spirit.

• Jeleesa White says:

My Cousin Yashica died in this accident that they speak so carelessly about… sitting with my family and watching her three year old try to call her and say “my mommy at the doctor” and having no one know how to really explain mommy is not coming home… my grandmother in her nineties cry and not eat… my family distraught but its amusement and just something else to criticize and talk about to these people because it wasn’t them that was affected. Thank you and keep us in your prayers GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN AND LOVED BY MANY>>>>>RIP>>>>>>

• RANDY EDWARDS says:

WELL SAID MY FRIENDIY

• Guesting game says:

It doesn’t help that Wilmington has the most CRAZY speed limits around. 45 MPH on Wrightsville Ave? That’s just nuts! The entire length is residential and it has lots of hidden side streets that flow onto it. The kids in this county are being taught to drive at 45 -50 MPH to keep up with traffic on the main streets of this town. They probably don’t know how to drive slow b/c they dare never taught that. Oh wait, they do have to slow down to park – my bad.

• Guestjosephwilm says:

It looks like the speed bumps did the job. Wonder who will get sued over this?

• alonza says:

You are such a jack@@@@@ young people died but rest a sure its a rode one day we must travel no matter how you get there…….

• local girl says:

I understand from other news media that their lights were off. There is a local ghost story about coasting down that road with lights off to hear a ghost. That may explain why they had those lights off.

• D.Davis says:

Ralph Samuel was a close cousin of mine , and his pass had nothing to do with his life at the time of his death. Not one of those posted stated that he paid his debt to society and the he was enrolled at cape fear community college,loved his family, he was at the point were he turned his life around completely.

• Toni says:

Someday we will all stand before the King and he will judge us according to the things we have done in this life. If you are judging now, you will be judged later. It may not be today, or tommorrow, may even be years from now, but everyone will be judged for the things they have said about the ppl who have lost their lives and who knows, it could and may happen to someone you love! God bless you all and may he have mercy on us!!!

• LAWRENCE LENNON says:

NOT TO BE A BE FUNNY BUT I JUST WANNA ASK? WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH BLACK PEOPLE RIDING THRU MID-CLASS AREAS THEY ARE UP TO NO GOOD? DIDNT TREYVON MARTIN DIE IN VEIN CAUSE THIS HISPANIC MAN KILLS HIM FOR WALKING AROUND IN HIS OWN AREA. WHERE IS THE RIGHT IN THAT. WHY WHEN 4 BLACK PEOPLE ARE IN A CAR THEY HAVE TO BE CASING OR UP TO KNOW GOOD. I RIDE THROUGH THERE HONESTLY CAUSE MY SIS STAY IN FOREST HILLS APT. AND I WISH!!!!! SUMBODY RUN UP ON ME TALKIN RECKLACE LIKE THEY DID TREYVON MARTIN. IM A GROWN ADULT THAT LIVES ON MY OWN TAKIN CARE OF MY KIDS AND I DRIVE OR WALK WHERE I PLEASE. NOT TO MENTION I WORK TWO JOBS AND CUT GRASS ON THE SIDE. I PAY MY TAXES AND I DID SUM TIME. MY BROTHER WAS DRIVING THAT CAR AND HE THE SAME BREED AS ME. SAME MAMA. SO I FEEL LIKE PEOPLE HAVE THERE ONE WAY OF LOOKING AT THINGS AND ITS GONE HUNT YOU IN THE END. I LOOK TO GOD FOR GUIDINCE AND LUV THROUGH IT ALL HE HELP ME AND MY BROTHER UNTIL IT WAS TIME FOR HIM TO GO. JUST LIKE SUM OF YALL HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER WHO MADE SUM BAD CHOICES IN THE PAST THAT YOUR FAMILY STILL TO THIS DAY IS PAYING FOR AND YOU KNOW IT, AINT NOBODY PERFECT. SO R.I.P TO MY ROTHER AND THE YOUNG LADIES IN THE CAR, AND BRA THATS STILL LIVING, HE GONE BE ALRIGHT WHEN HE GET HIS MIND TOGETHER LIFE IS CONSTINTLY CHANGING. KEEP YOUR MINDS OPEN, BUT KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONGE. AND R.I.P TREYVON MARTIN!!!

The Tree Won..
    While My sincere Condolances goes out to the Childern and Parent(s) AND Family(s) of these Now, lost Souls…
    I have to ask Myself a few questions..
    1. WHY were these *ADULTS* riding in Forest Hills,Before entering A Mostly upper-middle class Neighborhood, in a SUV with thier Lights OUT?(before going into the Area?)
    2. 1 of these Lost Souls were from LELAND?What were they doing in Forest hills? Going to see Grand-Ma? A sick friend? Or were they making a “delivery”, Or were they “casing” the area(s) , in Forest Hills??….
    3. Time in question, 10:22 PM at night? Driving with-out NO Lights on Wrightsville Ave.?(IN Addition; NOT WEARING SEATBELTS?! (they *save* lives ya know!).
    4.Is it *true* that drug(s) was/were, recovered in/from the SUV? If there is truth to this, what were they, what kind & Amount?
    5. Is the “Officer” to blame? *NO*, as he observed a “saftey violation”, turned around, and started to follow the SUV, (then possibly pull, then ticket or “WARN” the driver, IF they happened to, for example, LIVED in the area; forgetting to turn their lights on before proceding to their “destination”?)(full discloser, I myself, have done this before once or twice on well lit streets at night, haven’t any of you?)
    6. We have the Officer turn around,(this is a “divided road” area of Forst hills I assume?) gets “spotted” by the driver & passenger(s), as He, the officer, turns around and begins approching from behind, and BEFORE He can stop the SUV, or even begin turning on His lights/Sirens, the SUV takes off, at a high rate of speed, hitting 80MPH ,in a very short length of time,before running over a “speed Bump”, causing the driver to lose control of the SUV, running it into a Huge Live Oak tree, and LOSING.
    7. These were, NO KIDS,(ages 22 ~ 30);NOT out just for a “Joy-ride”, these were GROWN Men and Young Ladies,(One from Leland?!),Also as some mentioned,Convicted of crimes, you know like; Breaking the Law?,, not just with petty crimes, but very serious ones, some were FELONIES! , “cruising” w/out lights on Wrightsville Ave, then turning on into a Upper-middle class neighborhood, whom then; upon “spotting” Leo, observing Him turn around, flooring the gas at that moment,they, themselves, sealed thier own fate….. Paying, (3 of them), with thier lives…

So lets play, Devil’s Advocate here. Going back in time, Officer never sees the SUV, wreck/accident, never happens.

Next day; We read about another series of “car B & E’s” in the area, or a Home Invasion, or,

NOTHING at all, everyone arriving home safe and sound, that the driver did honestly forget to turn-on His lights at/around Writsville Ave? AND was visiting a friend?

Or were they, “up to no good?”, which, honestly, I’m leaning towards that Idea;As the Driver attempted to evade/elude the Officer in a attempt to “get away”, or from being pulled over.

Or was the driver “drinking”, or on Drugs, Or were they;(the passenger(s), “smoking a Blunt”? Or “afraid” Of *Po-Po*,Having run-ins with LEO previously, being the wrong color skin,late in the evening, in a up-scale neighborhood driving around with His lights out, then turning them on, Whoops? I forgot? And panicked, flooring the gas on the SUV to a high rate of speed,

( In addition to NOT even seeing the speed Bumps)

hopeing, to; “get away” from LEO?? Leading up to the Ending & the Events that didn’t really have to happen.

These and other question(s), that need to be asked, and Hopefully in time, we’ll have answer(s) to. Giving the Families “closure”, In addition to giving the General public “answers”, as to Why this senseless tragedy happened,to begin with; while to hopefully NOT to have another one like this happen again…

We’ll know as soon as the toxicology report comes back, even though ****Dead Men Tell No Tales**** ; We still have ONE Passenger that was in the SUV that is still alive,

(that GOD Decided it wasn’t HIS time yet, thankfully)

,maybe He will HELP in the Final investagtion, IF HE Decides to THRUTHFULLYtell what happened,He will give a timeline of events, AND what was happening in the SUV at the time and WHY they were in the area(s) driving w/out lights),Completing this investagtion; leading up to this Tragedy.

Again My Sincere Condolances to the Families of the People related to the Deceased

• RSimmons says:

That tree really took a hit. I wonder if anything can be done to help it recover? Does the city have a tree surgeon on staff? Will the vehicle’s liability insurance pay for care or replacement of the tree?

IIRC my grandaddy used to put white paint on a skinned up tree to help it heel

• Divided we fall says:

I understand that this is and should be a very emotion stirring event, but the underlying issue is being missed entirely. The parents and loved ones of the victims as well as the residents of the community should be upset, this is reasonable in everyway. However, the problem is that our kids (our community) are all at risk for hardships if we don’t quit dividing. None should judge, rather try to understand and educate yourselves on the reasons behind these strong emotions. These emotions, brought out by feelings of hopelessness should be motivating all of us to do better. If you feel criminal activity and drugs are the cause for this tragedy and risk for further danger, you are so right. So do something about it! Action speaks! Ask yourself why? How can I help? Where are we as a community weak and how can we strengthen? What could I have done to save a life or save other lives? Hello??? We have a rising drug problem in Wilmington! Get off your computer and go make a difference! Join with the “other” side. Offer your help and understanding. Words and money do very little without action! If you know someone that is in trouble, teach them, don’t judge them and don’t make it excuses for yourselves either. These things don’t help. Been there done that! It’s time for us to recognize our division and how it effects all of us. Would you help your brother if he needed you? I know I would.

-A mother of four and resident of Forest Hills

• MikkiRobbins says:

I cannot believe some of the posts on here. I know Yashica’s family very well and they are really christian people. They lost their daughter. Children have lost their mother. Have compassion for these families that have been left behind. All you posters that are posting negative things should stop. You never know what the next minute may bring and you could get that knock on the door that could change your life forever.

• dittos says:

…or is that violins I hear?