UPDATE: Morning car chase tied to suspicious death of child

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 03/02/2012 - 4:41am
Updated: Fri, 03/02/2012 - 4:31pm

SHALLOTTE, NC (WWAY) — We’re learning more tonight about a high speed chase that investigators say is linked to the mysterious death of a three year old.

Investigators say things seemed odd when Montey Andrea Murray brought a three year old boy, who neighbors say is his son, to the hospital and then left Thursday morning. The Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office says when Murray left Brunswick Novant Medical Center, a “be on the lookout” order was issued.

Neighbors say officers found Murray at his girlfriend’s house in Shallotte. They say Murray refused to get out of his SUV and then took off. Law enforcement officers chased Murray down US 17, finally stopping his SUV by blocking it with their own vehicles.

Shallotte Police Chief Rodney Gause says the three year old boy died at the hospital and the circumstances surround his death are suspicious.

Investigators searched a home in Shallotte Thursday night that neighbors say belongs to Murray’s girlfriend, the mother of the three year old.

Witnesses at the apartment complex say they recognized Murray because he visited the apartment often. They say they were told the boy’s mother went to the hospital shortly after the police chase started.

There is still no word on how the boy died. Investigators say his body has been sent to Jacksonville for an autopsy.

Murray is being held tonight at the Brunswick County Detention Center under a $1 million secured bond. The Shallotte Police Department is collaborating with the Brunswick County Sheriff’s Office and the SBI on the investigation.

• L says:

I am trying to understand why are you pointing fingers at the mother,i would appreaciate if you keep the negative comments to yourself you werent there when ANY of this viscious crime took place. what world do you live in to even think a loving, caring mother would leave her baby boy with any person that would do in ANY harm to her son.the fact that you are defending a person(MONTEY) you thought you knew so well in a time like this without even sending your Condolences to my family breaks my heart. I pray that justice will be served and at the end of the day God is in in control…..continue to keep my family in your prayers

• chunt says:

both of the parents r responsible for this child. he may have actually killed the child but she didnt protect the child from the abuse.

Don’t know what led to the chase, but there are drug charges pending in New Hanover County. He also has convictions on drug charges, speeding to elude arrest, assault on an officer and robbery with a dangerous weapon.

• ann says:

after all thats said and done this guy obviously is a low life scumbag, and coward at that. i hope he is punished to the fullest extent of the law, and he spends the rest of his life just where he belongs….PRISON!….They will take good care of the baby killer there.

• ann says:

this coward belomgs behind bars and needs to stay there where in sure they will take good care of the baby killer there!

What led to the chase, you ask? How about this idiot killed a 3 yr old just prior…i guess the news channels like to get their ducks in a row before giving the full story. Sad.

The news media hasn’t gotten the facts yet. It may appear to have happened your way but if it didn’t and they reported your story they are wide open for a lawsuit. Grab your A** with both hands and hang on!!! They will report the true story when they get it. derrrr

• know the facts first says:

OK first get all the facts people kill me. OK he has drug charges!! He has to answer for that! And do you know the reason he was speeding? You don’t know all the facts – I heard nothing about drugs in the car – OK if the child had a seizure and fall could that be the suspicious factor? Who are you to judge? You are not perfect you just haven’t got caught! Think about it! The results for Jacksonville will tell how that baby died not you or no rookie!

i know he would never hurt a child if he did leave it was probably because of the pending charges other than that he probably would have been by that babies side sorry for whoever lost but that does not sound like something he would do he probably didn’t know what kind of condition the baby was in and was trying to seek help for him

• just simple says:

See and if that was Leland, the Officers would have to turn off their lights and turn around if this person did not stop. This guy who possibly killed a child would get away unless Leland know for absolute certain that he was guilty of killing the child. But if he simply dropped off a kid who died and then wouldn’t stop Leland Officers can’t chase. Thank you Sheriff for taking care of business and not letting criminals get away because of the scare of “liability”.

• Guest2012 says:

What lead to the chase was when they went to question him, he refused to exit his vehicle, then took off. All police would chase someone who did that, even Leland.

• Mrs_Miller132830 says:

TO SET EVERYONE THAT HAS SOMETHING SMART TO SAY, HE IS NOT THAT KINDA PERSON, HE KNOWS MY SISTER & LOVESSSS MY DAUGHTER & NEWPHEW HE WOULD NEVER HURT A CHILD SO SOME PEOPLE NEED TO WATCH WHAT THEY SAY , I THINK DEEP DOWN HE WAS SCARED & DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!

• PUH-LEEZE says:

Your fine upstanding citizen of a friend has not only already served time for drug charges, assault on a government official & robbery w/a dangerous weapon but has just in the last month been involved in a shooting & now this! If he loved that baby he would NOT have dropped him off & left him alone at the hospital! Generally if someone is scared it is because they KNOW they have some sort of contributory negligence! If you know you have done no wrong you don’t run! That is just a lame behind excuse! I hope he gets everything he deserves & more!!! I only hope your daughter & sister have more sense than you & keep him out of their lives from this point forward!

• BIG CUZIN, NY-STYLE says:

YOU ARE EXACTLY WRIGHT, JACKSONVILLE HAS THE SAYSO. BUT ON BEHAVE OF OUR FAMILYS THAT ARE MORNING BECAUSE OF OUR LOVE ONE IS NOW GONE (YET SO YOUNG) WE THANK GOD THAT THEY GOT HIM, BECAUSE IF HE DIDNT DO ANYTHING WHY DID HE JUST DROP THE BABY OFF WITHOUT CHECKING TO SEE IF HE WAS OKAY…….. JUST REMEMBER THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE SCARED OR RUN FROM ANYTHING IF YOU HAVEN’T DONE NOTHING…….
    BIG CUZIN, NEW YORK……..ONE

• Das Weibstück says:

Its LOSS, “I am sorry for your loss”.

Whatever happened to this innocent child I hope the perpetrator pays severely. The child probably suffered his entire life in one form or another. Child abuse is rampant all over the world, what a shame that humans treat the weak this way. Its a sad commentary on humanity.

I read your post 3 times and still have no clue what you are saying….and why the need to YELL? calm down and think about what you want to say before you type….my head hurts from reading that post

I’m sorry for your lost. But if you knew him then you would know he would not hurt the baby. Where was the mother? Its things that are not being said in the media but familys do know. She know the things that lead up to this sad moment. Wit that being said I must say this them results from jacksonville will answer alot!

• JM says:

Since none of you people kept him, knew him, nor loved him, you should not be making comments. To set the record straight, that sorry bastard has been charged with my baby’s murder and I wish he rots in hell. The autopsy report came back Friday. Also, he did not take him to the hospital. Jaronn’s cousin did and I met her there. Let my sweetheart sleep in peace. I love you snickers.

• WOW says:

HE SHOULD HAVE WAITED ON THE RESULTS AT THE HOSPITAL, THAN HE MIGHT HAVE NOT BEEN THE ONE….. BUT BY RUNNING AWAY FROM A CHILD MAKES YOU GUILTY!!!!!!!!!! YES, YES, YES……….

• Guest1972 says:

you say he probably left because of pending charges? Out of the numerous times I have been to an emergency department, whether with grandparents, parents, myself or my children NEVER has anyone done a background check on me while I was there with them. People really should come up with a defense that is actually believable. He doesn’t really care about other peoples children or he wouldn’t have a criminal record of selling dope to those peoples children! Eventually the people will know the cause of death, and I pray this man did not intentionally hurt this baby, but until you know the truth you can’t defend him either.

• RecordChecker says:

FYI — why would you leave a child with a convicted felon? Let’s search Mr. Murray’s on NC offender website (part of NC Dept. of Corrections):

ROBBERY W/DANGEROUS WEAPON
    ASSAULT ON OFFICER/ST EMPLOYEE
    DRIV LICENSE REVOKED
    POSSESS SCHEDULE VI
    POSSESS WWITH INTENT TO SELL, SCHEDULE II
    SPEED ELUDE ARREST

To those you say “don’t judge” it looks like the Judge has already heard this case — and the verdict is that Murray is drug dealing thug.

• guest456 says:

This low life has no respect for anyone or anything. Shame they took him to the hospital. People that act like ANIMALS should be put in CAGES!! I hope he is charged with murder and locked up for LIFE!!!

There are many rumors going around the apartment complex about how that poor little boy died. And I agree with many of the other posts that say “If your not guilty of something why run?” If I were investigating I would look at both him and the child’s mom. It is easy enough for us to find out information about him. What was his mom thinking to let her 3yo child alone with a person like that.

• Anonymous:)) says:

To Jaron:

Bud im so sorry abt what happened to you and what happened. But now we shouldn’t shed a tear because we know your in gods hands and your safe, God only took u out cuz u suffered enough and u didnt deserve that at all. Hopefully Montey will pay for what he did and all we can do is pray for you and hope for the best. Ull never be forgotten i promise u that because there are alot of people down here that care about you. Hope your having fun in heaven(: ull see ur family again one day and they’ll see you too and run and give you a hug in Gods mansion<3333333333333333

-W/ Love,Taty’s friend((:

• Guest aa says:

My heart goes out to this family. So sad to loose a loved one not to mention a baby. I pray for God to heal the broken hearts of this family.

• Cant wait says:

So sad to see people are so judgemental but the evidence will speak . If you know him you know the type of person he is. And to hurt a child he comes from a large caring, loving family. So he has had a brush in wit the law , and maybe his past experience wit the law is why he ran ? To judge him and the fact that they have not charged wit the dealth of the baby ,its not fair? the results form jacksonville will answer alot. And not to mean but where was the mother work or what cause if i know my baby sick I”m not going anywhere. Everyone that is in that household is responsible for that baby! Is she going to speak up to the publis? Cause the rumors in the streets and online are crazy !!!!!! Get THE FACTS BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS THAT ARE JUST PLAIN DUMB!

• Tatyana says:

the mother doesnt even work in shallote she works in wilmington nc, and for your information she loved her son and u want to now how i now cause im tatyana the sister of the three year old and if u have anything to say i was apart of her family she treated me like i was her daughter so thats wat i have to say and he was healthy as can be , charming, cute ,funney, and he was loved by evey one who knew him and if u knew him you would know why he was an trip,smart, and he was an part of my life that will always be there just for him and no one will ever take away from me “jaron even now your gone your never forgotten”
    your loving sister

• Just a Guest says:

As I read these posts, I’m deeply saddened and my heart/ prayers go out to both families. At the end of the day, a little boy has died and another black man is in jail. To be honest some of you sound ignorant attempting to defend a criminal that clearly hasn’t experience the guidance and mentorship needed to become a successful black man. So who do we blame? I don’t know what happen, but I do know the events that transpired are senseless.
    Many people take life for granted and think its acceptable being able to, “Make it rain in the club”, but “WE” don’t own our home. Bragging about how many times you were shot on FB…but “WE” can’t afford insurance. “We” glorify this type of behavior. Many of these people I can guarantee didn’t have a solid upbringing and in return that’s what we teach our children. It’s a continuous cycle and “WE” can’t identify it.
    This is what I preach too many of my younger siblings… Get an education and stop associating yourself with people who can’t assist you with life’s difficult decisions. I know most of the people involved in this traumatic event and I hope they will make better choices in life and seek GOD first. So instead of saying who is at fault and what happen… Let’s start raising our children correctly. Men learn how to be fathers and that’s not limited to paying bills… You need to set an example for your children and provide mentorship and guidance. Be there for them mental, physically and emotionally. Ladies, learn how to be a “Big Mama” to your children. Again, most importantly keep GOD first. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not perfect but I have identified the issue.
    We all want to point the blame, but who is really at fault. We all need to look at ourselves because we are the future. Are we upholding the standards for our children? Are we the ones contributing to the killings, drug use, rapes, and non-educated children? Are we the ones glorifying RAP/ROCK music, money, cars, “Bling Bling”, and ladies? Is this what’s life really about?