Group against gay marriage ban ends cross-state trip in Wilmington

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 03/02/2012 - 9:35pm
Updated: Sat, 03/03/2012 - 12:38am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A North Carolina woman has run hundreds of miles in the past few weeks to raise awareness about a proposed Constitutional amendment banning same sex marriages in North Carolina.

“Now it’s in the people’s hands to decide whether they want to keep North Carolina on the right side of history or write discrimination into the Constitution,” Jen Jones said during a visit to UNCW today.

Jones is a part of the group Race to the Ballot, and she has done just that. In the past five weeks, she has run 322 miles from Asheville to Wilmington.

“We figured they’d watch a 5’6″, 240-pound girl try to run across the state,” Jones said.

Along the way they rallied students against Amendent One, set to be on the May 8 ballot.

“It’s not just going to affect me,” UNCW student Alex Gibson said. “It’s going to affect everybody in North Carolina who is not married. It’s just a silly law.”

Since Race to the Ballot started back in January, about 1,400 students from all over the state have registered to vote and signed the pledge to vote against Amendment One.

“It’s an amendment that hurts families, it hurts women, it hurts children in our state, and it threatens protections for all unmarried couples in the State of North Carolina,” Jones said.

The Port City is the group’s last stop. It’s a decision Jones says was very appropriate.

“We know you have a very inclusive and diverse population here,” she said. “Lots of people who would be impacted by amendment one and harmed by it.”

Race to the Ballot is having a rally downtown at Riverfront Park from 5 until 9 p.m.

We reached out to several conservative groups at UNCW for reaction. They have not gotten back to us for comment.

We Do Have Laws about same sex. Just a few months ago. A Pender Co. Deputy Sheriff Cpt. was arrested in Wilmington during the wee hours of the night in the act and Charged with “UnNatural Acts.” A few days later it was publicly revealed that the Capt. Sheriff Deputy picked up a male prostitute. The Laws already are written. Just obey them.

there is a very good reason why same sex marriage hasn’t taken hold anywhere since the bigining of time until now…..BECAUSE IT IS WRONG AND NASTY.

• Guestfedup says:

Normal, I CHOOSE to call you an uneducated, ignorant IDIOT. There, now THAT was a choice. Back woods bigot.

Finally, You wrote somthing I can agree with 100%. Our rights under the Constitution are undeniable and anyone who tries to take them should pay a big price.

If you want to marry a person of the same sex or the opposite sex it should be no one’s business but your own. It certainly isn’t mine or anyone else’s. As much hate as there is in the world, it should be a joyous occasion when two people find love, regardless of sexual orientation. To sum it up, if you mind your own business then you won’t be minding mine or theirs.

• Challengetheworld says:

I cannot wait until the day comes when you backwoods bigots die off. The only thing disgusting is your hatred and lack of education.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

You’re obviously getting smarter.

Don’t get used to me agreeing with you.

• TrannyGirl says:

While you and everyone else has the right to express your opinion on the subject of same sex marriage and gay rights, you are in quite mistaken in your belief that we have any more choice in our sexual orientation than you have in yours. The only real difference is that we don’t care that you’re orientation is different than ours.

There really is scientific evidence to back up our claim that we are born the way we are. Here is a link to peer reviewed evidence that backs up our claim to a birth right, though I doubt you’ll be able to comprehend what is being said.

Someone has taught you to hate those you do not understand. I can only assume that the person responsible is an ignorant bible thumping bigot of a preacher.

• Godislove says:

God is love. Get out and vote. I say vote your choice on this amendment. WE live in the USA where we can vote. My vote is yes. To Amendment One. Marriage is between a man and a woman.

Now about insurance, wills, trusts, custody, inheritance, find a lawyer and make out your will. Get your health insurance and whether you are same sex partners, sisters, brothers, two people living in the same household, I believe they should get insurance for two just like married people do. A person can choose who has the say on a living will, inheritance, making decisions. Anyone who does not make out a will or trust leaves these decisions to the State. Find a lawyer and make out your will. Get a service like Legal Shiled and get this done now. Or make one out yourself and get it done legally so it stands in court if need be. But as for marriage, leave it to a man and a woman. And let’s start supporting married folks and help them stay happily married and decrease our divorce rate. Whatever you decide, get out and vote. And do so in the next presidential election too. Let’s increase the voter tally. More people involved, educated and responsible. VOTE.

• GuestofWind says:

If you stand against a particular issue, in most cases you aren’t labeled as something. In fact disagreement is often encouraged. For instance if you stand against war, in most cases people aren’t labeled as traitors. It is only in the arena of the whole gay marriage thing where if a person disagrees they are labeled as backwoods, bigoted and homophobic. I do not agree with the gay lifestyle any more than I agree with adultry, drug/alcohol addiction, divorce, stealing, lying or hurting people. So having said that I will vote according to my convictions and you can call me whatever you like. It doesn’t really matter to me. If it passes, I can accept the fact of it passing. However it still doesn’t make it right.

• Guest Lee says:

You gotta get some new material….

• Guest Lee says:

Gee…I was just thinking the same thing about your post.

• Guest Lee says:

I totally agree with your post. I feel the same exact way.

• Guest Lee says:

Why are you singling out Chritians as the only ones who don’t support gay marriage? There are plenty of us who aren’t religious but we don’t support that type of lifestyle. It has nothing to do with hate. I believe there is a right and a wrong, and I believe gay marriage is wrong. It has nothing to do with my going to church or not.

• Gayteen14 says:

I am a gay teen. I am a CHRISTIAN, that’s right, a christian, a Baptist to be exact. I have a boyfriend and I love him with all my heart. I have kissed a woman, I felt NOTHING!, I kissed a man, I felt FIREWORKS! I am gay, and I hope to get married with the one who I will spend the rest of my life regardless if my mother is against gay’s, bi’s, and lesbian’s. So, build yourself a bridge and get over it the year is 2012, not 1950.

In 1950 there was discrimination against the blacks, and you all fought to gain equal right did you not? Of course you did. And what happened? You won! And now it a matter of choice if a woman/man wants to marry that person. Either same-sex or opposite gender. One day we will prevail! And we will win, so thank you all who agree with me and if your gay/bi/lesbian, yell with happiness because you are who you are and you are special no matter what anybody tells you and tries to bring you down.

If you are a Lady Gaga fan I think you have heard of Lady Gaga’s hit song: Born This Way. if you haven’t heard of it before I advise you listen to it. Also, any Glee fans who like Kurt and Blaine and are soooo happy that they are together that is the relationship I want to have that same experience with my boyfriend. There love is unconditional and forever. For any young people out there who are going through this difficult time talk to your school guidance counselor or adult who you can talk about this matter that is vitally important to your maturity and the part of growing up. If you haven’t ever watched Glee before watch it you will LOVE IT, I DO! And I hope you all find that perfect match out there he/she is waiting for you so start searching!

If you are young, and have wanted to meet a fellow teen who is gay/bi and you are a male try out a GREAT site that I met my boyfriend on it is called Xanga, no, it is not a gay dating site, it is a blogging site that you can create a blog and nshare it and make friends. Here is a direct link to the blog page that was created so, if you want to join, and find friends I suggest you do so:

there are literally THOUSANDS of gay/bi teens that are hot! And you’d be surprised that just maybe what kind of guys are just down your street who you can meet and chat with. have fun just don’g get too excited when you see them, I know how tempting it can be to see if they might have a little peek of “something” lol. Have fun and I hope you find your match. And remember you have to create an account with Xanga if you really want to find someone put a pic up either your face or something like that or else they will just pass you by without a 2nd glance, and I thought I wasn’t cute or hot, but how, I was wrong. There were hundreds of guys who thought I was hot and cute so, if you are one of those guys who think they aren’t, think again. Good luck!

If you’d like to cantact me with any questions my email is adamsmith2838@gmail.com

*It is NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

Normal…me thinks you rant too much. How many times have you tapped your toes under the stall door. In any event, you are obviously not a christian, as they supposedly have love in their hearts. In any event, as a proud gay man I can tell you I did not choose a more difficult life. Why would anyone choose it? By that same logic, you chose then to be straight, meaning you could easily enough have sex with a person of the same gender and it not disgust you. Your ignorance and bigotry is unfortunately all too typical of this part of the country. Religion is nothing but a curse on our society for the hatred it brews, as you have shown in your comment.

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

There is no god…grow up

• WilmingtonMAJ says:

Personally I am proud to be a bigot. I hate organized religion, I hate most “moral” christians, and I particularly hate people who hate :)

Bottom line, this country is founded on the constitution, not religion. If you want a religious state, iran is very nice this time of year. Denying a minority that which is available to the majority is a civil rights issue. Plain and simple…

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Perhaps you can now agree that we are governed by a constitution, and not the Bible. People have a RIGHT to sin.

As Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of independence, “life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” If being gay makes them happy, so be it. That’s their business.

They may (or may not) burn in hell for eternity, but as long as they are here on earth, they deserve the same protections and rights under law that you or I possess.

This amendment goes far beyond stopping gay marriage, it insures that they are denied rights they are legally entitled to.

• Robo says:

Vote YES is you want to protect the sanctity of marriage and the family unit as we know it currently in America.

This is not a debate. I’m informing you of The Fact. God Hates Sexual Immorality. Everyone who will not accept that will spend eternity in Hell. God has already demonstrated His disapproval with Sodom and Gomorah. And again when He flooded the Earth with water and Spared only Noah and his family. These are the days just prior to that day of Noah. You are being warned today.
    Repent…. And sin no more….

• Guestfedup says:

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” – Mahatma Gandhi.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I care, so much, if you agree with me….

I hope it does not pass, it should not have came to this point. Our Constitution should not be used to forward some political or moral agenda. It is the framework of our government, and amendment should only be to protect an individual’s right to challenge and be a part of their elected governement. An issue such as defining what a marriage is shouls be a law, and if someone doesn’t agree with the law, charge their leaders with making the change or try to overturn within the judical system.

It really saddens me that people allow their social and moral beleifs to overshadow their good sense. Regardless of your beleifs, we are a free society, and people are allowed to live as they see fit, as long as they are are hurting anyone. We should not use something as important as our constitution to be manipulated into one sides agenda.

I will vote against the amendment, and any leader in Raleigh who supported it. Not because of my opinions on what defines a marriage, but for the using our constitution as a way to promote a political agenda. It is our protection over our freedoms we hold dear, and that many lives have been lost to protect…not some thing that politicans and radicals can use to limit an individuals freedoms.

• Adam Smith says:

The constitution states Separation of Church and State. You don’t want the Government telling the Church what to preach, just like you don’t want the church telling the Government what to say. We point to Sharia law as the example for extreme religions controlling the government, yet our actions are similar. If you don’t believe in gay marriage, wonderful, don’t go to a church that supports gay marriage. Marriage is between two people and their God. Let the church decided, not the Government. This is a huge waste of tax payer money and elected officials resources. Don’t legislate inequality, don’t legislate hate.

• Gail Monat says:

Anyone who can say that it is a choice to pick a life style that is so misunderstood and hated for no real reason and are born in this world from straight couple from the beginning is really got to take a step back and see what is real. They say those who hate and speak and think so narrow minded come from a very ugly family tree. I am glad that my family tree that I fell off of was loving and understanding and wanted to educate themselves so I could be more open and understanding to others differences like; color,religion,national origin and gender choices. I have been a foster parent for a long time and I have to say that the children that have come to me were from straight familys who are blessed to choose who they want to marry and yet they are the ones who are destroying the marriages they are so trying to stop those from being able to do. So anyone who uses God and the church as thier way to debate wether to allow others to do what is right for them need to see the destruction they are doing to this world and familys. Gays arent hurting children the haters are the ones that are. You have set up children to be bullied and ashamed of good parents that are teaching love and not hate in this world. Know the differenc, if a straight man is sexually abusing his daughter dose that make all fathers sexual abusers!! Educate yourselves out there please..we all need each other because times are changing fast in this world and we are all in it together!…The constitution is set up to protect all not just those who want to make rules because they are frightened of something they cannot understand. God Bless everyone…isnt that what it is about…

• Normal says:

Anyone who chooses a GAY lifestyle is not normal. It is a CHOICE, so don’t tell me you are born this way. We don’t need someone with abnormalities raising children to begin with. The children are the ones who suffer. Get in the school systems where kids acknowledge their parents and watch the others laugh at them for wondering who is mommy this week and who plays daddy this week. THE KIDS SUFFER from this stupidity. You sick minded people need to go somewhere with this disgusting lifestyle.

• GuestofWind says:

The whole concept of freedom within the Constitution was influenced by Judeo-Christian values. It says we have a freedom of religion but the government shall not establish a religion. There are no Federal or State churches. The US government has not established any religion. Religion(s) were established long before the US every got here. I myself do not want a religous state. I have the freedom to vote for values according to what my religion teaches. It’s the way it is set up. And vice versa. I just simply cannot support voting for something I do not agree with. Let the people decide, once again if gay marriage is allowed, I’ll accept it because I have no choice, but it still doesn’t make it right for the country.

• Rumblefish says:

Yeah, robo… others have the right to resist. Remember those pesky folks who thought is was wrong to own other people, those irritating women who wanted to vote, those uppity blacks who wanted to go to school and keep their seats on the bus… Hey, I hear tell that the Westboro Church of Fred Phelps is opening a branch in ILM. You joining?

• Challengetheworld says:

I made a mistake and I quickly mis-read this article. I’m sorry.

• Office Fan says:

How exactly is someone who is fighting **Against** this amendment a bigot? She is not advocating passage of the amendment, she is fighting it.

• challengetheworld says:

Looks like you had a tremendous turnout to your bigotry demonstration. Go read a bible.

• GuestReality says:

They DID read it…that’s why they’re against it. Obviously, you haven’t read it yourself.

• Guest Lee says:

Kind of sounds like you’re bigoted against Christians. Similar to the pot calling the kettle black.

• Beach Bum says:

I do not want to understand or get to know any and all gay people. It is not a choice of lifestyle I agree with nor support. However, your conclusion of a sociopath is confusing.

For example, if I elaborate to a child to not mix or match socks, play on a busy highway, mix gasoline and a lighter, that makes me a sociopath because of my inability to empathetic of that childs curosity? My selfish view is to keep that child from hurting themselves or embarassing themselves. We, the grown ups, are supposed to be the responsible ones.

There was some merit to segregation. It keeps order and eliminates confusion. Just being honest. Not everyone can win. Someone has to loose. And it is either black or it is white. There is no grey.

I have never casted a vote on freeing slaves, giving women the right to vote and so on. I and none of ya’ll were around then. But, I know where I would of and do stand if I had been.

With the highest gas taxes in the south and running close to the far left liberal socialist states of NY and California the Democrats have done a wonderful job jacking up taxes in this state. Not to mention the insane money thrown down a rathole repeatedly. My wife and I paid more in NC taxes then we did in Federal taxes (if that isnt crazy I dont know what is). The reason we are losing jobs and businesses is the tax structure in the state. The liberals have done enough damage in this state. Hopefully with Pat McCrory taking the Governors mansion in November we can finally finish what we started in 2010 in crushing the libtards and taking both houses.. BTW I have no problem with civil unions but Marriage is between a man and a woman PERIOD!!. The GLBTetc community should push for legal status of their own under civil unions or something to protect their rights in relationships and leave Marriage out of it.

• Wes says:

North Carolina has many people who are educated. No one knows the outcome. It would be nice if they proved to be hospitable to their fellow human beings.

Most who do not try to understand the “gay” human, do not realize that these fellow Earth beings, are children of any parents, brothers and sisters of any siblings, Aunts and Uncles of any nieces and nephews. Not a single parent can pick which sexual orientation a child born will be. Adoptive parents have no idea what their children’s orientation will be. Sexual orientation is not known until the struggles within a child start appearing when that child realizes, they cannot be like the majority.

It truly proves a symptom of a sociopath (Someone who is incapable of being empathetic toward others because of their own total selfish view) to not realize gay persons are part of our families and need to love. They have struggles in a society where clergy preach selective rejection and pulpits and Rupert Murdoch’s media empire push bullying as though this is “Christlike”.

Will the public of North Carolina stand alone in the southern states and prove they are for human understanding? It is this author’s hope they will not join the ranks of the other southern states who have proven for centuries to be bastions of suppression and slavery to bronze aged ideas.

• Erlkoenig says:

Wes, being a sociopath and being steadfast in moral behavior that provides the best foundation for society are not the same thing. As usual, you libs paint your deviant love affair in pseudo-intellectual dribble.

• Das Weibstück says:

Great post.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Hmmm about the same amount of jobs if we allow them to get married.

• RSimmons says:

Not letting Gay folks get married is going to create how many new jobs in North Carolina?

Pot/Kettle????

This debate is not right/left it is a matter of our constitution, and what it is meant to protect, what our founders wanted to protect: individual freedoms, the well informed and educated will realize the difference…I would vote no if it tried to say that a marriage is any union b/w two adults who love eachother regardless of sexual preference.

The constitution should not be used as a way to garner to votes….it should protect individual freedoms and define our governemnts responsibilities, not who should be marrying whom

• Erlkoenig says:

What a load of crap. How does this hurt children and families? All the government policies that hurt families day in and day out. No issues there. But if two homosexuals can’t get papers on their “union” it hurst kids. I’m voting in May to protect marriage and defeat the weakening of our society.

• donna says:

I am proud of Jen and her endevour to educate people on this issue. Our constitution says “All men are created equal.” It is such a bigoted and hate filled amendment proposition. Really folks, it is 2012 and this issue is not about what we do in the bedroom, it is about love and family and equal rights, not special rights. I am ashamed of the folks that decided that this was a good idea. I fought for my country, and defended it. Why won’t our government defend me? The military is finally doing it. Also on a financial note, think of the taxes we would pay as married couples!

• robo says:

This is not a constitutional issue. Gays and lesbians make their own choices about their lifestyle, and no one prevents them from doing it. But when they try to impose their lifestyle on the marriage institution, others have the right to resist.

Exactly how does this ammendment hurt families and single people, Jen Jones? Your comment has just rendered you and your interview obsolete. The only ones it will impact are the homosexual families and single people. This law doesn’t hurt me nearly as bad as Obamacare. That one is crippling. Last time I checked North Carolina doesn’t honor gay marraige anyway. This is nothing new.

Marriage instatuion is Gods creation and was established many years before The US Government or any other Government. God hates sexual imorality so much that He dystoried a few cities with Fire and latter dystoried the world with water to wash away all the bad bloodlines due to sexual perverssion. Repent.

• Katie says:

There is nothing here to inform your readers about the dangers all unmarried couples, gay or straight, will face if narrow minded prejudice prejudice is voted into our constitution. Do readers know that every major company in the US, including Verizon Wireless and IBM, offers same sex benefits…do you know how many jobs North Carolina will NOT attract if you vote this law in? NC used to be a leader in education…remember Terry Sanford? Now we rank 49th in the USA for per pupil spending. Might that have something to do with why ignorance is rampart? Will we now become 49th in the USA in attractiveness to new business investments? Regardless of your fears, please look at this law so that you will know what you are bringing to our wonderful state.

Many, but not EVERY major corporation provides same-sex benefits to “un-married” gays. However, they DO NOT provide these same benefits to “un-married” heterosexuals! Why is that? Most would consider that to be descrimination. I surely do!

PS…North Carolina has NEVER been a national leader in education…ever! What you want to portray as “ignorance” to the gay community is actually only lack of acceptance and that simply will not change, not even for generations. You can throw your “lifestyle” in peoples faces all you want, but you will only be met with opposition and in some cases…disgust. Just the way it is.

Now, please provide another explanation for us. Where does the line get drawn? How long will it be before pedophiles and rapists start getting their rights. They have needs too, just like you gays, transvestites and trans-sexuals? They need to be “FREE” to act on their natural instincts in public as well, right? Explain THAT one!

• SouthEastNC says:

I love how the Left claims to be open-minded and accepting… yet if you don’t agree with them, you’re “Uneducated” and “Ignorant”

• Guestsmiley says:

The educated will vote against the amendment, the ignorant and uneducated will vote for it. Simple as that. Let’s see which we have more of in NC… It remains to be seen…

• Adam S says:

pedophiles and rapists force their desires onto unwilling victims. People in the LGIT community only want to be open about their love. BIG DIFFERENCE!

If you really need an explanation for not giving rights to pedophiles and rapists you need help.

Un-married hetrosexuals can marry, they don’t need the benefits.

Your arguements are getting weaker and weaker lately.

…no matter how you slice it or dice it. It has nothing to do with the ability to marry.
    It has to do with the current state of marriage or lack thereof. It is clearly descrimination against heterosexuals.

To my point about pedophiles, rapists…and the other freaks of nature. 25 years ago, gays were in that same category. The line of what is “acceptable” keeps shifing toward the weird, freaky, unnatural and bizarre. Everybody has to have their own little determined “rights” for their own little particulaur sect of personal practice, whatever that may be. Where will it stop?

Your spelling and grammar is by far weaker than my “arguements”!

FYI this amendment prohibits the recognition of civil unions and domestic partnerships as well. In plain english : if you vote for this amendment you agree that same sex committed couples deserve NO legal protections for their relationship. I personally feel that what you and others think is irrelevant. However, using the ballot box against us suits you all just fine. Put yourself in our shoes. Put your relationship up to a vote, see how you like it.