0 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , ,

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — A judge says it’s too early to step into a dispute over new rules allowing billboard companies to cut down more trees around their North Carolina signs.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports that Wake County Superior Court Judge Lucy Inman refused to halt the temporary rules that took effect last week. The judge says the state is not ready to issue tree-cutting permits until later this month.

The nonprofit group Scenic NC sued the state Department of Transportation last week to stop the rules.

The rules sought by billboard companies allow them to cut trees within 380 feet around road signs in rural areas, an increase from 250 feet. The state Transportation Department estimates that could mean as many as 200,000 trees will be cut down.

(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of

Related News

Traffic on the Causeway in Leland (Photo: Hannah Patrick/ WWAY)
21 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
SPECIAL REPORT: Driving Nuts
Read More»
An inspection of the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge led to lane closures on July 20, 2015. (Photo: NCDOT)
4 days ago
0 Comments for this article
Lane closures planned for CFMB
Read More»
Crews work to replace the N. 3rd Street Bridge in downtown Wilmington on Feb. 1, 2016. (Photo: Hannah Patrick/WWAY)
5 days ago
2 Comments for this article
3rd Street bridge project nearing completion
Read More»