Protest held in response to commissioners turning down family planning funds

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 03/16/2012 - 3:17am
Updated: Thu, 08/02/2012 - 5:06pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Just days after New Hanover County Commissioners voted against state funding for contraceptives, the response has been incredible.

A few hundred people came to Riverfront Park in downtown Wilmington Thursday in protest of the vote. The board’s vote Monday has since made national headlines, even getting a response from the ACLU of North Carolina. Though commissioners will re-examine the funding at their April meeting, they are still catching backlash from their initial decision.

“It’s just a shame that they are having to waste the time that was such a no-brainer in the first place,” protestor Page Rutledge said.

“I couldn’t really believe we were talking about 2012,” protestor Carol Chappell said. “We’re talking about something I stood up for 40 years ago.”

Commissioners Jonathan Barfield and Jason Thompson showed up to listen and take questions, but Thompson found the gathering unproductive.

“Mostly it was people name calling and pushing me and spitting at me,” Thompson said. “There are just some really nasty people down here.”

The commission will take another look at the family planning funding at its April 2 meeting. Commissioners and the Health Department plan to be fully prepared for the second time around.

“Based on the information I had on Monday, I made the correct vote,” Thompson said. “We’re going to hear it again in April, and of course the Board of Health has already given new information. Some commissioners are getting new information.”

However, some wonder if a change of vote will mean a change of heart.

“I think if they vote it through, it’s to appease the people. I don’t think it changes anything in reality,” protestor Melissa Robon said.

“I can tell you that I will put my money where my mouth is and make sure more women get elected,” Rutledge said.

Anybody remember the McDonald’s lawsuit when the woman spilled her coffee on herself? She sued McDonald’s and won. That was the beginning of the United States of it isn’t my fault America. Politicians aren’t held accountable for their crimes, why should I?

• Realistic says:

I would love a United States where ALL people were devout, practicing Christians who were abstinent until their marriage nights and that there was no divorce. I would love a world where teenagers didn’t have the lovely example on MTV of 16 and Pregnant and too dumb to find a clinic or adoptive family rather than shame their families on national television.

We are going to pay one way or the other. The Pill is 97% reliable in preventing pregnancy when used correctly. This means you take the PILL EVERY DAY AT THE SAME HOUR NO MATTER WHAT and still, 3 women out of every 100 will have an unwanted pregnancy. Think about the teens you know (who shouldn’t be having sex anyway) and their responsible behavior. So if the New Hanover County school district has 1000 young female students having sex, and every single one of them was careful and used the PILL, 30 would still become pregnant. Condom numbers are worse. 84% out of every 100 won’t get pregnant when used correctly which means 16 out of every 100 girls/women WILL get pregnant. Take those hypothetical boys and men having regular sex with those same hypothetical 1000 girls using a condom every single time CORRECTLY, and 160 will become fathers in one year. That’s some lousy chances, folks.

A lot of religious and/or conservative middle and upper class people suddenly aren’t so religious when they encourage their daughters and sons to abort the result of those lousy odds rather than mess up and derail their lives with an unwanted child interrupting her education and him forced to pay child support before he’s even finished college. 54% of women and girls seeking abortions claim to be evangelical. What does this tell us? We’re doing a lousy job in our homes and churches and yet we expect the poor and ignorant and uneducated to make better choices? Those of us who haven’t had to deal with this have been lucky.

The IUD IS VERY EXPENSIVE but more effective over a FIVE YEAR PERIOD. That is FIVE YEARS the taxpayer is FREE from having that one woman who cannot take the Pill for medical reasons (high blood pressure or heart irregularities) or an “irresponsible in taking the Pill daily” woman or teen creating more wards of the state. That $1000 prorated over five years is cheap versus our hospital having to provide “indigent” prenatal, birth, and pediatric care for that youngster and later our school system having yet another poorly parented child disrupting our classrooms.

We tried sterilizing and that was considered morally repugnant. We tried funding the Pill and condoms and we see how well that’s worked out. We stopped public funding of abortions. These resulting babies do NOT get put up for adoption. Many are born addicted to drugs. Many are premature with later educational problems. Grandmothers end up raising many of them after the state intervenes or they end up in the foster care system shuttled from one home to another. They end up with emotional and behavioral problems…less likely to be able to read and function in civilized society and more likely to end up in the correctional system.

That’s the end result whatever your political, moral, and spiritual persuasion. Please think on that, Sirs.

• Clearheaded says:

The grant is for $9,000. Simple math. The Pill(1 mo generic prescription) $10.00. 900 women could benefit for 1 month. 75 women could benefit for 1 year. That does not include the cost of doctor visits figure that visit will put you back–lets say $200. Less than 30 women could benefit and that is only if they visit the doctor once in a year. Really people. The grant is not worth the overall price.

Stand up Commissioners. Say “No” a second time.

• Mjoll says:

Sorry, I had to stop reading at: “I would love a United States where ALL people were devout, practicing Christians who were abstinent until their marriage nights and that there was no divorce.”

• Mjoll says:

You should go back and re-examine (or perhaps examine for the first time) the details of that case. Your comment doesn’t make any sense.

So you don’t know that HOT coffee is served HOT? In another news flash for you, iced coffee is served cold. Wow, what a shock. My facts are straight.

• anne says:

Really people? You can’t have it both ways. Most people want the government to stay out of their personal business, but then they want the money to help fund what should be personal – your sex life!

I as a taxpaying citizen should not have to furnish the birth control for you, especially if you are hell bent on doing what you want with no accountability whatsoever. You can’t expect me to fund your fun time and then tell me it is none of my business.

Doesn’t work that way. Birth control is a private affair and should be kept that way.

• WilmMan says:

Where do you get the condom is only 84% effective? If you use a condom by itself then it is around 86% effective so you are close but if the condom is used with spermicidal agents it is over 95‰ effective. The condoms that are given out at the health department contain spermicidal agents. They also hand out condoms made of lambskin and polyurethane in case you are allergic to latex.

• WilmMan says:

My info came from http://www.americanpregnancy.org in case you thought I was making it all up

outsourced stated:“It is hard to believe we have a society that cannot accept responsibility for it’s own actions….”

My reply was that people not accepting responsibility for their own actions started with the coffee lawsuit.

• Too Bad... says:

You missed out then. That guest made a lot of very good points.

• Monkey Junction says:

You have no idea about the merits of the case and your last sentence is blatantly false. Try to compose a well thought our post that makes some sense next time. TIA.

• ReponsibleWoman says:

The Family planning grant was for about $9000. The health dept suggested the county spend the $ for IUDs that could serve about 20 women. The county commissioners disagreed. This no vote does not mean the $ goes away. It still can be used for family planning. The grant specifies the $ must be used for Title X issues.. Other issues alleviated by birth control should not fall within family planning and thus this birth control not covered. ;For example, physician receives a grant to utilize Botox for pain but his patients want the Botox for wrinkles. This use of Botox would not fall within the parameters of the grant.

• Elli Klein says:

Poor Jason Thompson! He just doen’t like “facts!” He distorted the truth when he said said why he voted against New Hanover County’s accepting the $8,999 from the state for family planning. He distorted the truth when he said how he responded to constituents. He distorted the truth when he told WECT that I had been following him around for 12 years. and He distorted the truth when he described to WWAY how he was treated at the (A) Protest For Responsibility! Certainly it is not unreasonable to ask about all the other times he has distorted the truth to convince others on the Commission to make the decisions that he wanted. and the people of NHCo are upset at Brian Berger’s behavior?!

• Grand Ole Party says:

All I heard was cackle cackle, blah blah, tax payers should give more and more.

• Linda Barnett says:

This is a good example of how to turn off people at the beginning of your statement. There is nothing about blelieving in God , religion or morality of sex within marriage about this subject . The health dept made important decisions on behalf of the women they serve and the County commisioners thought somehow they know better than experts. The county commisioners are just plain wrong and I couldn’t care less about how morally superior some people think they are especially a bunch of middle aged men.

• Linda Barnett says:

The health dept made the decision that the grant should be spent on IUDs which would be more effective for their population. Their are plenty of reason why any birth control method is contraindicated for many women. Birth control is not a one size fits all thing. The county commissioners chose to over ride the advice of the expert of the women’s services unit of the health dept. Based on their vast knowledge of birth control? Ted Davis’s comment and the others failure to confront him on them is very telling about where their minds are.

• Linda Barnett says:

From the tone of many of the comments here it is obvious that a small vocal angry group of misogynists from decades past have reared their ugly heads in a final death gasp of hate . The spirits of the dying grip of patriarchy that has strangled the lives of women over the past centuries were present in the room with the New Hanover County 5 when they voted to reject a grant needed by the Women services Dept of the county health dept to meet the needs of county women. The comments of Ted Davis undisputed by the rest of the men in the room belies the fact that it was not just that they lacked the adequate knowledge to make a good decision but also the objectivity, morality and ethics to understand the complexity of the issues involved. This is why we need women in these important roles. Women are less likely to be victims of their own lack of morality and use rigid sterotypical thinking. We need elected officials who trust the scientific process, are able to communicate with professional experts and make commen sense decisions. From now on any candidate will have to be able to prove his or her ability to make clear headed, nonjudgmental ehtical decisions and show evidence of respect for all persons, sexes, races, income levels etc. Any one who thinks they are ” making” on their won is in a delusional state. Unless you live in the woods somewhere without heat and electric or water, grow your own food etc you are using public services of some sort. In fact even the computer and TV you are using to take in and spew your ignorance and hate are public services. You think you are paying yur “share” but you are not. You can never trully give back all you have gooten from the society around you and should be grateful and willing to give to future generations. And a special note to Jason Thompson , You are the biggest liar of all saying people were spitting and yelling at you. You truly are not fit for public office if you are that big of a liar. Please don’t bother to run again.

Fasle? So you claim politicians are held to the same criminal justice standards as regular people? Suuuure they are and I have a bridge to sell you.

• Mumofthree says:

That guest did make a lot of good points. Kudos!! Now if only people
    who do the voting would read it and think before they vote.

• Really??? says:

Silly example.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

It started with LBJ’s War on Poverty, which insured multi-generational poverty became a way of life for a quarter of the country.

As long as we pay people to sit on their corpulent bottoms and produce the next generation of societal leeches, requiring no effort, no self-reliance, or no individual responsibility on their part, we cannot get upset when they think that life owes them something. Much like Pavlov and his dogs, we have conditioned them to expect rverything to be handed to them, and we reward them when they breed by giving them more on their EBT card and qualifying them for a larger apartment in public housing.

So it’s not that they don’t think family planning is their responsibility, it’s that they have absolutely no concept of what responsibility even is! Also, don’t forget that it’s hard to remember that pill when you’re still in a drug or alcohol induced fog as you’re waking up at noon….and who can remember a condom when you’re rushing to time your “peak” with the peak of your crack or meth?

(My apologies to those TANF recipients who don’t use drugs….all seven of you)

• ResponsibleWoman says:

Society owes nothing to a woman and a man who wish to have intimate relations. We do not owe you birth control or 18 years of social costs if we do not provide contraception. I am a woman I am sick other selfish women trying to throw their responsibility on others. If you want to have intimate relations, go for it. Use all the birth control you want. Do not ask other women to pay for your personal pleasure. Condoms are inexpensive and protect against STDs, Aids and pregnancy. If you don’t or can’t use condoms, then do have intimate relations or pay for your alternative protection. Merely existing entitles no woman or man to force others to pay for her or his personal pleasure. This woman is tired of being grouped with those women who state “Keep Your Hands out of my Uterus” . I say “Keep Your Hands out of My Pocketbook”!

• ResponsibleWoman says:

Which experts are you referring – THE GRANT ONLY ENCOURAGES a part of the almost $9000 but utilized for sterilization or LARC(long acting reversible birth control). The state never demanded the money be utilized for IUDS. Would you be happier if the Health Department had taken the states encouragement and the County Health Dept have suggested the Commissioners use the money for the Sterilizzation of Men & Women. The money is not gone. It can still be used for Title X uses. Remember to get pregnant there must to a woman & man involved.

• ResponsibleWoman says:

Have you read the grant AND the MEMO which stated what the State encouraged only some of the money be utilized for in this case. The Health Dept “Expert” only echoed one of suggestions that a part of the money be used for LARC – IUDs. The State also suggested the County might use part of the money for sterilization. How do you feel about this? The Health department can STILL use the almost $9000 for Title X uses. I am not an expert but at least I know some facts.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

I PAY my way through life lady. I paid for my computer, I pay for my Internet service every month, I pay my electric bill.

Now, how many of the great unwashed that you represent can make that same claim?

Poor county women can already receive pills, condoms, or Depo-provera shots totally free. They do not NEED this grant, so stop lying.

You can call me a mysogynist as many times as you want to, it means nothing and makes no sense. I’m not anti-women, I’m anti-freeloading bum, regardless of gender.

I pay for my heat, electric and water. I pay for my basic cable service and my internet service. I have paid income tax for twenty-six years. I pay taxes every time I go to the pump. I pay taxes on my car and on my home. Every time I go to the store I pay taxes. I even pay taxes on the aforementioned utilities. I do believe in all of that, I have paid for more than my share. I don’t think that the women who are seeking free contraceptives can say the same. By the way, when I took birth control pills as contraceptives, I paid for them out of my pocket.

• Justin America says:

Yeah, my TV and computer are public services. Linda, please don’t vote. BTW. In order to make an ethical decision, one must use judgement. There is no such thing as and ethical, non-judgmental decision.

• Government Mule says:

You’ve gone right from State sponsored birth control to hot coffee to criminal politicians directly to you not being held accountable for crimes you have committed… would you like to mention what crimes you and the politicians have committed???

• outsourced says:

It is hard to believe we have a society that cannot accept responsibility for it’s own actions and have to depend on the government to do that for them. I guess the dumbing down of our school curriculums over the past 20 years has done it’s job. Now we look to the government to make decisions for us. We have allowed something like the individual use of contraceptives a government decision…we have made the personal…political. What we eat the next issue. The (Government) Health Department already supplies anything you want. Our elected officials made the correct decision. Why spend more tax dollars on something we don’t need. Why not use it in our educational system?

So Mr. Big mouth that threatens to take other leaders out to the parking lot let some people shove him? No way. With his hot head if somebody even lightly brushed up against him he would challenge them to a fight right there. He isn’t one for thinking things through.

• Gloria says:

Apparently folks don’t realize that birth control pills are used for more than pregnancy prevention. There are genuine medical conditions that require their use and women who can not afford to pay for such medications. Their illness reduces their ability to work, to provide for themselves and their families. In short, it’s a societal issue, not just one that revolves around sex.

We’re America. We can do better than this. Why is it so hard to understand that it’s to our benefit to ensure that everyone receives quality medical care?

• Ohhellno says:

This was a chance for Debra Butler and her “friends” to jump on the “War on Women” bandwagon and campaign. Did they ask for donations from the people in the crowd to help these poor, poor women? Did any of them write a check? Add up all of these protesters time and gas to get there, they could have just written a check if they are soooo concerned about “the poor”.

The example about the McDonalds lawsuit is based upon ignorance.

This was not a minor or trivial injury. The scalding-hot coffee caused third-degree burns over 16% of the plaintiff’s body, including her genital area. She was a 79 year-old grandmother. She had to be hospitalized for eight days. She required extensive skin grafts and was permanently scarred. She was disabled for a period of two years. During the ensuing trial, her physician testified that her injury was one of the worst cases of scalding he’d ever seen.

During the litigation, McDonald’s was required to produce corporate documents of similar cases. More than 700 claims had been made against McDonald’s, and many of the victims had suffered third-degree burns similar to the Plaintiff’s. Yet the company had refused to change its policy, supposedly because a consultant had recommended the high temperature as a way to maintain optimum taste.

Finally, the Plaintiff was clearly not motivated by greed in this case. Despite the pain caused by her injury, and the lengthy and expensive treatments she required, Plaintiff originally offered to settle with McDonald’s for $20,000. The corporation offered her a mere $800, so the case went to trial.

Get your facts straight.

• GuestCommon Scent says:

The drug Depo provera that you seem to tout so much has very serious side effects in some women. If you had done your research, you would know they can manifest themselves as abdominal pain, depression, hair loss, migraines, arterial cardiovascular disease, and irreversible bone loss. This drug has a “black box warning” from the FDA, which is the strongest warning they put on a drug without removing it from the shelf.
    Maybe, you would rather they got pregnant and had another welfare child?

• GuestCommon Scents says:

Your argument(?) here is nonsense. Why can’t you admit you don’t know what you are talking about, as usual?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

What about birth control pills THAT THEY CAN RECEIVE FOR FREE?

What about condoms THAT THEY CAN RECEIVE FOR FREE?

You stand as testimony to what I have ALWAYS claimed, that liberals ignore the truth when it conflicts with their idiotic views.

Get better at making your point or get ignored. Your choice. Right now, I feel like I’m beating up on a crippled kid.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

It’s the total lack of a rebuttal argument.

It gets really old when your best response is, “You’re a doodie-head.”

• GuestCommon Scents says:

I believe you would beat a crippled kid with some of the hate posts on here. I was commenting to your enamoration with Depo provera and some of the consequences. Do you feel impotent when you are wrong? BTW, if you had not noticed, the IUDs were for people that couldn’t take the pill. Or were you so busy TRYING to be smart you didn’t notice that one little fact?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

They can’t use condoms?

Try to cover ALL the bases, and stop leaving out critical elements of information to try and blur the picture.

You liberals can’t deal with facts, so you choose to ignore them. It’s the one weakness you can’t overcome. Simply calling someone a “hater” is a pretty weak response for facts that shoot your argument right out of the water.

You’ve got to be a masochist….

• GuestCommonScents says:

that you think your level of discourse is so high since in the last week you have called people “stupid”, “Nazis”, “Commie”, and “paraplegic from the neck up”. You are, as the country song says, “a walking contradiction”. I prefer to call you other things and if “doodie-head” is appropriate, so be it.

• GuestCommon Scents says:

Once again, try to stay on point with your love of Depo provera and the fact that this is not a good drug. You’re the one to try to end every conversation with obfuscation of your own words. “Walking contradiction, partly fact, partly fiction.” And yes they may have allergies to latex; some people do. So about your love of stuff you know nothing about… Your mysogenic posts about what is best for women confirms what everyone has suspected. You’re an idiot.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

What part of “the name calling doesn’t phase me” confuses you?

The difference between us is that I can formulate a logic-based argument, and reserve the name calling for people who are governed entirely by emotion.

So go ahead and try it – after all, your opening volley was simply calling me a mysogynist. Why don’t you propose a logical, well-thought-out argument as to why a state that is facing continual budget deficits should give over one-half million dollars to private organizations when county DSS/DoH already provides contraception to low income women on government assistance?

Try to address the issue of “redundant waste of money” in your reply.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Indigent women already have three options for birth control, free, from the county. There is no need to give $9k to a private NGO to offer a fourth. Absolutely nothing beyond that has anything to do with the issue.

You can go ahead and call me names now. (It hurts me so…..)

• GuestCommonScents says:

I should be so ashamed because none of you have ever called anyone a name on here. Are your feelings hurt? WAAHH! WAAHH! For people that have no qualms whatever about what they say to or about someone else, you sure wear your feelings on your sleeve. Why don’t cry on Pantano’s shoulder since you love him so much.

• Grand Ole Party says:

So I am guessing you are the only J Davis east of Texas stupid? What good is your real name? Why is it any of your damn buisness? What are you like three years old? You going to challenge everyone to a fight at recess next? Get bent genius!!!

Yes you lack common sense.

• Guest CommonTater says:

**chuckle**

Real name… D. A$$

Not my job to pay for birth control for anybody. Not my job to pay for the mistakes that come from mistakes/irresponsible sex either. This isn’t about women’s rights either so gtfoi. Women have the right to all the birth control they want but they should pay for it. Really simple….. guess that’s what trips up so many….

• My O Face says:

Wow, totally went 5th grade on me. My comments were meant to be inciteful, mean, degrading, hateful, antogonistic and horrid.

To answer the question about Type II diabetes, yes. Since it can be controlled by getting up off the couch and putting down the ho ho’s or gallon of iced tea, I feel it is irresponsible to have insurance keep covering the expense.

Abstinence is just not limited to sex. Comfort foods, depression related compulsions etc…

It is called being responsible for your own actions.

• Guestgustd says:

No one at that rally was “demanding that women receive free contraception” !

It was about the County Commissioners turning down a GRANT (which will be spent one way or another) to aid the Health Dept. buy IUDs for women who cannot take the birth control pill. To add insult to injury, three of the commissioners called women who seek access to birth control “irresponsible”, which is absurd. If a woman is attempting to prevent unwanted pregnancy, isn’t that being RESPONSIBLE?

It is the Republicans who seem to be willfully ignorant of this issue, and I wish BOTH sides would focus on their duties like improving job creation, roads, law enforcement and education and keep out of womens’ personal lives and health concerns.

All of those complaining about not wanting your tax money being spent on other’s “enjoyment”–get ready for a $40 million baseball stadium to be shoved down your throats. Let’s see how loud you howl about that. DO you have the BALLS?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

….women arriving in a Lexus and wearing a $250 Jones New York blazer demanding that women receive free contraception! It’s as ridiculous as Ms. Fluke spending $50k per year to attend law school, but whining that she can’t afford birth control.

This is not a “war on women,” this is a war on exapnding the welfare state mentality via freebies from the government. The belief that free contraception is a “right” is laughable, and the simple fact is that low-income women already receive free contrception through the Department of Health.

The rest of you can pay your own way through life.

Here’s hoping that four of the five members of the County Commission who voted against this nonsensical waste of money retain their backbones and vote the same as they did in the face of what is obviously a coordinated national political movement by the left.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

No, obviously you don’t. I was there at the very beginning, voicing my opinion. Once the county commissioners announced that they had no interest in the stadium, I backed off: I don’t care what Wilmington does, and long ago chalked them up as a corrupt government racing toward insolvency. So in that regard, YOU are the one who is obviously ignorant….but we’ll let that go….

Indigent women who cannot take oral contraceptives can receive Depo-provera or all the free condoms they want at the Department of Health. Very convenient to gloss over that fact, isn’t it…or did you not know that? Were you ignorant of that?

The state cannot afford to be giving away over one-half million dollars of money that it doesn’t have to private entities, to fund an effort that is already in place at the counties’ Departments of Health.

Thanks for that one sentence regarding the issue at hand, and the rest of your political diatribe.

• Carol Montgomery says:

I was there the entire time and much of that time was close to Jason Thompson, upon whom no one spit, or shoved, or pushed him PHYSICALLY that I saw. Quite a few of us women did tell him how displeased we were with his arrogance and what we considered poor decision. Perhaps he is so unaccustomed to having any woman confront him that he felt threatened. With any luck he has a short time left to feel intimidated by the women he is supposed to be working for.

• My O Face says:

It is absolutely preposterous for people to think it is ok to use tax dollars to fund someone elses irresponsibilty.

Ladies, quit being all emotional and utilize the head your hair is hanging on. Abstinence, free birth control. Requires restraint and responsible decision making and using your mouth more.

Guys, quit thinking like chicks and use that knoggin for something than stealing oxygen. Use some common sense, reason and logic behind your decision making and pull out.

All you bra flag burning hippies…

GTFO of Wilmington and move to Oregon, Seattle or San Fransico.

Clearly, another example of WWAY and Scott Pickeys attempt at yellow journalism and being inciteful. Real responsible reporting.

• Desultory Philippic says:

By your reasoning (?), insurance should not cover obesity related Type II diabetes medication.

• GuestK says:

Mean, sexist, demeaning, degrading, and horrid.

• ResponsibleWoman says:

Wake Up
    I am jobless.
    I cannot afford Birth Control.
    Even 50 cent condoms
    But I can threaten you to
    pay for my pleasure or
    force you to pay for 18 years of social costs.
    Advocate true women’s health – Only Condoms or Abstinence prevent AIDs, STDs, & Pregnancy.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

They’ll give you all the free condoms you need.

Don’t think I disagree with birth control. If it were up to me, a vasectomy or implanted BC device would be mandatory for half the people on planet Earth.

However, the women who have kids who end up the problem of the taxpayer, the kid was so often a strategic move to get more benefits, not an accident. BC isn’t even going to start to solve that problem and it really isn’t even lessening it.

• 13 says:

Jason Thompson needs to withdraw his comments about this protest since he lied about being pushed and spit upon. Calling citizens of New Hanover County, “…some really nasty people…” after having lied himself is quite ironic.
    Where is the film documentation of these assaults, Mr. Thompson? The burden of proof lies upon you. Why didn’t you call the police to have whomever pushed and spat upon you arrested? That is assault.
    Our county commissioners ALL need to go, every last one.

• X says:

I support and believe Mr. Thompson and he will get my vote.

• ResponsibleWoman says:

Were you one of the uninformed individuals that ridiculed me, scoffed at me at told me I was ignorant because I advocated condoms for true women’s health?

• RSimmons says:

What a liar! Yeah a couple of women got in his face. But pushing and spitting? I never saw it and judging from the number of video camera’s present someone would have taped it and posted it by now. We are not talking about a couple hundred college students, most of these women were over 40.

Jason only showed up to play the drama queen for his GOP handlers,I used to defend this guy for speaking his mind and showing some backbone but he just becoming another political hack.

• ResponsibleWoman says:

I personally do not like Mr. Thompson but I do have to agree with his assessment of the “protest”. I also attended to advocate ACTUAL women’s health. I was accosted, scoffed at and ridiculed for advocating that for women and men’s health – the ONLY protection from AIDs, STDs & pregnancy – Abstinence or a Condom. Women and men can have all the intimate relations they choose and use all the birth control they want but they do not have right to ask others to pay for their pleasure.

• TXPYR says:

THE ‘FREE SH$T ARMY’ IS AT IT AGAIN!! GO BUY YOUR OWN BIRTH CONTROL! WHAT IS SO HARD ABOUT THAT CONCEPT!! I WOULD GO ON AND ON, BUT THIS IS PRETTY SELF EXPLANATORY… GET IN YOUR CAR, DRIVE TO THE PHARMACY AND PICK UP YOUR PRESCRIPTION! TAXPAYERS PAY ENOUGH INTO A SYSTEM THAT IS BLOATED AND INEPT, AND NOW THE FSA WANTS TAXPAYERS TO PAY FOR THEIR BIRTH CONTROL! GIVE ME A BREAK!

• J Davis says:

Use Your your real name coward

Yes You lack courage

• I was there says:

I was there, with my husband and children and we certainly would not have stayed. I thought journalism entailed confirming facts before publication but apparently if you are Jason Thompson this is not necessary. There were plenty of cameras down there, if anyone has an image or footage of this “Mostly it was people name calling and pushing me and spitting at me,” I know I’d love to see it.

Instead it just seems like an extension of Mr. Thompson’s condescending attitude. Too bad we don’t have recall elections in the county.

• Guestgingergrant says:

Now Thompson is just lying. At the rally, a constituent read her letter to all the County Commissioners and then read Thompson’s sarcastic response to her. (He wast the only one to respond, by the way) There was no name-calling that I heard. And if there were any incidents of “spitting” and “pushing”, why didn’t the news cameras capture and report it?

Just looking at these posts and other on this topic makes me wonder just how many misogynists there really are in Wilmington.
    For Common, Guesty, and Slurp City Tom, I know that word is big for you but you can look it up.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

We post facts or opinions substantiated by facts.

You respond by calling us names.

VERRRRRY impressive.

Just because you had to look it up doesn’t mean any of us have to. Keep on trying, you will be a winner one day.

Are you for free lifetime supplies of condoms for men..ON YOUR DIME?..if not you just hate men!..after all..its for our HEALTH!!

• Guest Laughing says:

“Keep your “Special Purpose” in your pants…and quit hoping for Government Grants!”
    I’m on a fixed income…have to have blood pressure meds…and cough up the money every 30 days for my pills. Why don’t I get freebies for my “life saving” medicine as opposed to recreational prevention?
    Our Government turns a cheek to those in real need…and time has come to carve back funds to what they probably consider “cosmetic needs”.
    So be it!