19 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Wilmington City Councilwoman Laura Padgett is undergoing a dual-organ transplant surgery at Johns Hopkins Medical Center in Baltimore Tuesday evening, a city spokeswoman said.

“I have had Type 1 Diabetes for over 40 years, and in 1994 I was diagnosed with kidney disease as a result of the long-term diabetes,” Padgett, the longest serving member of council, said in a statement. “This week, I was offered a dual-organ transplant of a kidney and a pancreas, a miracle. While I have struggled with these two chronic illnesses, along with many others in this community, my service on City Council and my faith in God served as the ‘winds
behind my back’ that seemed to hold off critical health problems. I am thankful for all that support.”

At Tuesday’s City Council meeting, Mayor Bill Saffo announced that Padgett is expected to be out for a few weeks, but looks forward to being back soon.

“Speaking on behalf of the entire City Council, our thoughts and prayers are with Ms. Padgett and her family. We wish her all the best. Her experience and insight serves the city well and we looking forward to her coming back as soon as possible,” Saffo said.

Padgett was first elected to City Council in 1993.

Comment on this Story

19 Comments on "Councilwoman Laura Padgett undergoes dual-transplant surgery"

Besty_Guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Guestifer
2015 years 9 months ago

Is this going to be another one of those travel expenditures she wants reimbursment for?

ChefnSurf
2015 years 9 months ago

Politics and disease are two separate issues. The quality of a person’s life is only as good as the worst thing you’re willing to say about another. My condolences on your lack of quality.

outraged
2015 years 9 months ago

Really?? Under the circumstances you have to act that way?

Challengetheworld
2015 years 9 months ago

She is a public servant with some health issues. Was that really necessary? Kharma is a bitc*.

Best wishes to a speedy recovery, Councilwoman.

John Henry
2015 years 9 months ago

You should have to pay her travel expenses out of your pocket for that comment. Foul.

Contains recycled parts..
2015 years 9 months ago

From one who shares the same experience, you have much to look forward to and enjoy.. Good Luck!

Guest54789
2015 years 9 months ago

and just plain nasty but there’s no such thing as Karma. It’s a childish notion – much like Santa Clause. I wish it existed, but it doesn’t.

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

Under Obummer Care she wouldn’t be eligible for this type of care. I think his plan calls for something similar to being put out to pasture.

Guest Apu
2015 years 9 months ago

I guess you’re one those that believe the ‘death panel’ B.S. that Palin was trying to spread.

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

If you know any, ask a Canadian citizen how long they wait in their socialized medicine plan to see a doctor. The few I know say it takes months just to be seen and then even longer to get treatment. Obummers plan isn’t much different from what they have.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 9 months ago

….making healthcare decisions, the simple fact is that we can’t keep spending the kind of money on Medicare that we have been. I’d be a big fan of spliting Medicare into two phases, 65-75 and above 75. Put the restrictions in place as a matter of law, so there’s no need for councils or committees.

Phase I would be very similar to today’s program. Phase II would be restricted to eliminating pain and sufferring until end of life.

The simple fact is, spending $80,000 on a coronary bypass for an eighty year-old is much akin to dropping a new engine in a ’74 Dodge Dart. What goes out next week?

We’re spending billions to keep people alive, often for a few months or a year or two. Unlimited procedures for people over 75 is total lunacy.

Where did we ever institutionalize our fear of death?

Guest6543
2015 years 9 months ago

The only thing that should be institutionalized is you

guesty
2015 years 9 months ago

Why? Because logic and facts scare you?

Commonsensenotcommontoday

Yawn!!!!

Das Weibstück
2015 years 9 months ago

I wonder how much we are spending keeping premature babies alive? A lot of them end up with lifetime disabilities and sucking off the system.

Commonsensenotcommontoday
2015 years 9 months ago

I have seen some amazing bills for care on preemies.

Still, as long as it doesn’t get too extreme, I’d rather see our emphasis be on the front end of life than the twilight years….especially the Sun rapidly sinking in the West years.

Whether a newborn preemie or that eighty year-old, however, I think that when the cost is shifted to a third party, it’s too easy to say, “Money is no object.” We spend far too much on lost causes.

Guestifer
2015 years 9 months ago

Because if you follow what happens around here much, you know damn well it was a funny comment to you when you first read it.

Guestifer
2015 years 9 months ago

Thank You for the compliment!