36 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Hoggard High School teacher assistant and assistant football coach has been fired days after being arrested for allegedly assaulting several students at school. A New Hanover County Schools spokeswoman said Joseph Brown’s termination was effective yesterday.

“All the people that’s always been around Coach Brown is just wishing that he never got into that situation,” said Durojaiye Andrews, a Hoggard High School football player. “Just wishing he was still here because Coach Brown was a good coach and teacher and a good role model for all the kids at Hoggard.”

The school district said Thursday after Brown was arrested it would wait for the results of an internal investigation before moving forward. Brown had been suspended with pay since the fight at Hoggard March 8.

Sheriff’s deputies charged Brown with five counts of simple assault and one count of assault with a deadly weapon.

According to the arrest warrants, Brown hit multiple students in the head with a closed fist, grabbed the throat of another alleged victim and even took a yard-long wooden stick and threatened the students with it. The fight was reportedly over a stolen iPod.

“He kind of did take it a little to far, especially when they said he broke a ruler,” said Hoggard freshman Lester Jackson. “I heard it was just an all out brawl in the classroom so it was pretty bad.”

Students say Brown is the talk of the school and simply got mixed up with the wrong crowd.

“I feel like Coach Brown is a good guy. I’ve known him for a little while,” said Hoggard senior Kenny Lanier. “Things got blown out of proportion a little bit but genuinely he’s a good guy.”

WWAY called Coach Brown but he has not returned our message. His court date for the alleged assaults is on April 10.

Comment on this Story

36 Comments on "Hoggard coach fired after arrest for fight at school, students react"

Anon
2015 years 9 months ago

you have no right to call one of the best teachers i ever had dumb or unintelligent. you don’t know him the way the students that were in his class do or the students that do know him. if your going to call someone dumb, look at you own level of intelligence, calling someone you don’t know dumb or unintelligent is disrespectful especially when Coach Brown has done so much for his students. he has helped me through a lot. i wouldn’t be where i am now without him. he helped me get my life straight.

Anon
2015 years 9 months ago

You don’t know Coach Brown, so don’t start calling people dumb when you insecure about your own intelligence, Coach Brown if FAR from dumb, he is one of the best teachers i had ever had, very nice guy, great personality, helped a lot of students. including me. you calling him dumb or unintelligent is just your opinion, writing this it was pretty hard not to cuss at you for your ignorance. you wouldn’t be calling him dumb if you actually knew what kind of guy he is.

WilmingtonMAJ
2015 years 9 months ago

I am not saying what the man did was wrong or that he didn’t just have enough of the drug addled delinquents. I’m simply saying that if he thought that his actions would end in anything other than his firing, then he apparently has no grasp of reality. In this day and age, any teacher who raises a hand to a student is going to get fired. That is simply the world we live in. I’m not commenting on whether it’s right or wrong, or what he did was right or wrong, but the man simply had to realize that if he was going to fight with students he was going to lose his job. Try understanding a comment before you reply jerk

Guesttenheimer
2015 years 9 months ago

I read your post completely and totally “understand” that the title of your post refers to the coach as an “Idiot”, you then go on to remark on his lack of “intelligence”, his vision of “reality” and TWICE state that “he is too DUMB to be teaching”.
Why don’t YOU try reading the comments YOU wrote, understanding them and THEN deciding who is the JERK!
Your post is attached below in case you forgot where to find it.

“Idiot
Submitted by WilmingtonMAJ on Thu, 03/22/2012 – 1:10pm.
While I don’t disagree with a person sticking up for themselves and their property…the man is apparently not intelligent enough to be teaching kids anyway. If he thought that as a teacher, fighting with students would lead to ANYTHING but his firing and arrest, he is obviously too dumb to be teaching. May not be popular, but it’s the cold truth.”

vikingfootball58
2015 years 9 months ago

I just hate that it happened-PERIOD! I just want to wish Coach Brown the best of luck in all of his future endeavors. My son who currently goes to Hoggard said that Coach Brown was great, and was great at getting the team pepped up before the games,and I know he will be missed by many. Whether you approve of his actions or not you can’t really say with any amount of certainty how you would have handled it until you are in that moment. I can sorta understand the frustration, imagine trying to help someone again and again and again, going to bat for them, bending over backwards, sometimes helping them when they aren’t even trying to help themselves, and getting crapped on for it time and time again, I’m sure this wasn’t just about the ipod in question but just the frustration of thinking you’ve finally reached through and taught them something, only to get smacked in the face(figuratively) with the realization that they not only stole yet again but that they stole from you the one person that has been in their corner through all of the crap they have done. I’m sure he felt betrayed and it was the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. However, having said that the school board had no other recourse but to let him go,they couldn’t take a chance of anything else possibly happening. The safety of ALL our students is a great and serious responsibility, and shouldn’t be taken lightly. soooo….. Good luck Coach Brown!