Wilmington rally to focus on race, justice for slain Florida teen

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 03/26/2012 - 9:11pm
Updated: Tue, 03/27/2012 - 1:25pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Tensions are rising nationwide because of the case of an unarmed black teenager shot to death by a Neighborhood Watch captain in Florida. Protests have been held throughout the country. Now a Wilmington man is organizing another for this weekend.

It has been a month since a Neighborhood Watch volunteer claiming self-defense shot and killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. Now rallies are calling for the arrest of Martin’s shooter, George Zimmerman, and to raise awareness.

Ivan Redmon is organizing a rally for Saturday here in Wilmington. He has six sons and says what happened to Martin is a wake-up call for all black people and especially parents.

Redmon compares Martin’s killing to the death of 14-year-old Emmett Till in 1955. He says it is proof we have a long way to go until achieving equality.

“I think it’s important to do this in Wilmington for two reasons. We remember the Wilmington 10, and we also remember the race riots of the 1800s,” Redmon said. “We have to make sure that we stay in check and make sure we know what’s going on in our communities. We don’t want a Sanford, FL, in Wilmington.”

Redmon says protesters plan to all wear black hoodies that say “I am Trayvon” on them, in memory of the teen.

The rally in Wilmington is planned for Saturday at 8th and Red Cross Streets. It starts at 5 p.m.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

1. Why did this story linger for almost three weeks before it burst on the national scene? Were they worried about it knocking the phony-baloney “War on Women” out of the headlines? Is this the latest orchestrated event, trying to call back straying Blacks and convince them to vote for Obama?

2. Why does the media insist on using this VERY old photo of Martin, portraying him as a little kid, when he was nearly a grown man?

3. Why is his mamma SOOOO upset with his death that she’s trademarking “I am Trayvon: nad “Justice for Trayvon?”

4. Why is the White House and Eric Holder suddenly mute when it comes to the Black Panthers putting out a $1 million bounty on Zimmerman?

This is an unfortunate yet rather insignificant local murder that is being escalated by the left-wing in an attempt to revive their long-dead war on firearms and self-defense. There is NOTHING in the Florida law that undermines the basic requirement for applying deadly force, and if Zimmerman is judged to have failed to meet those requirements, his case will be presented to a grand jury and he will likely be indicted.

If he is indicted, goes to trial and is convicted, you won’t see White or Hispanics rioting and burning Sanford Florida to the ground. If, however, he is not indicted or is acquitted at trial….

….well, let’s just say that a double-standard IS very much alive in this country.

Three examples of stellar young men and women who are all great Americans and in two cases have said “I am Trayvon” either literally or through their protests:
    First this, LINK–> http://www.local10.com/news/Police-Trayvon-protesters-ransack-store/-/1717324/9719674/-/xctonpz/-/index.html
    NORTH MIAMI BEACH, Fla. –

North Miami Beach police said surveillance video shows dozens of high school students demonstrating in the Trayvon Martin case Friday ransacking a Walgreens store.

The incident occurred during a walkout from North Miami Beach Senior High School in support of Martin, 17, who was fatally shot in Sanford.

Sounds like a bunch of great citizens! I say charge them all as adults.

Then there’s this; after all ransacking a store is a petty thing compared to severe beating and kidnapping:
    A Millersville University student is charged with severely beating his ex-girlfriend and kidnapping her from a campus dormitory this weekend.

Akeem M. Johnson, 24, punched the victim at least 10 times Saturday morning before forcing her from her room at Burrowes Hall and into his car, according to a police affidavit.

…..

On Friday night, he stood prominently at an on-campus rally regarding the death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin, holding a sign saying, “I am Trayvon Martin.”

link–> read more: http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/612551_Police–MU-student-severely-beat–kidnapped-girlfriend.html#ixzz1qLcboEtb

Well now.

Oh, and finally you remember the New Black Panther guy who offered a $10,000 “reward” for the unlawful kidnapping of Zimmerman on national television? He was busted for allegedly being a felon in possession of a firearm in Georgia yesterday.
    LINK–> http://www.ajc.com/news/bond-set-for-new-1398575.html

Incidentally, his bond was set at…. wait for it….. $10,000.

Gee, three wonderful examples of fine citizens we have that are either rioting, kidnapping, or violating both laws and the peace in general.

And that’s just in the last day or two.

Are the law-abiding citizens in this country ready to stand up and say in a loud, clear and consistent voice: “This crap stops right here and now, and that is not a request” or must we wait until we have all-on riots egged on by these sorts of clowns first?

Credits to the author..
    karl denninger @ http://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=203972

• Guestsnc says:

Former Sen. Arlen Specter in his recent biography talks about how he was a wayward teen who got into some serious mischief. But time, and a mind/spirit to change — he put away “childish things”. I have a good friend whose son had issues with vandalism…today he is a college grad and a responsible member of the community. I don’t know WHY OR HOW Trayvon’s school record was leaked to the public. Whoever did it should be fired and severely punished. Unlike Mr. Zimmerman, Trayvon was never CHARGED OR ARRESTED for any criminal acts. Not sure WHY Mr. Zimmerman was even eligible to own and carry a weapon given his very checkered past with the law. I hope states look at this “stand your ground” law again. If Mr. Zimmerman pursued or interacted with Trayvon in any way, he lost his claim of “innocent bystander”. He should have NEVER PURSUED him; he should have called 911 and waited for police; he COULD HAVE called other neighbors and asked them to keep an eye out for the young man and report his whereabouts. There is a REASON WE HAVE PROFESSIONAL POLICE OFFICERS. If they had been allowed to handle this, TRAYVON WOULD PROBABLY STILL BE ALIVE!

• disgusted says:

Dont understand why this did not get media attention!!

A hispanic and a black boy?? And this is racist?? Let the court decide what happened! Looks like there is evidence of “I am Trayvon” trying to attack the mexican dude. Self defense? Maybe maybe not but you can rest to sure mom and the self proclaimed Reverends will continue to spread race remarks like they always do!

• GuestTired says:

Was the other gunman on the grassy knoll?
    Was 911 a plot by the our government to bankrupt the economy?
    Were we really attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin or did we just use this as an excuse to go to war?
    Is there really a Santa Claus or is this a plot by liberals to indoctrinate children to Socialism?
    Common, you have really hit an all-time low this time. You seem to get crazier every day.

Where did you come up with a million? This NEW black panther was just busted pawning a gun, how do you think they could pay a million let alone the $10000 they actually offered?

• Charles Walters says:

I think Zimmerman used this law to commit murder. I also think politics played a role in why he was not arrested. The lead investigator applied for a warrant and it was denied. He said he was not convinced Zimmerman was telling the truth about what happened. These laws were designed to give citizens a way to protect them selves from violent criminals who mean to do them harm. They were not designed so that people could kill someone just because they were walking down the street minding their own business. Anyone who tries to hide behind these laws, and using them to justify murder should have a needle shoved in their arm, because they are evil and cowards.

This has NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE EQUALITY. This was one isolated incident, of which all the facts are not yet present. Why is Mr. Redmond trying to incite rioting in Wilmington? And why is WWAY giving him a platform to spread this hatefulness????

• Mike T says:

I have said it before and I will say it again, Guns in the hands of the untrained and unskilled is nothing but and will never be anything but trouble. Mr. Zimmerman as it may turn out was on the receiving end of an ass kicking. He started it when he decided to go against the warnning of the 911 dispatcher and got out of his truck and persued Mr. Martin. Mr. Zimmerman, who must be very poor at hand to hand combat and in poor physical condition, may have by his own fault gotten himself into a situation where he may have thought this kid that is 100 pounds lighter than me is whipping my ass in 30 seconds so I must pull my 9mm and just kill him. If Mr. Zimmerman had not been armed he may very well not have been so embolden to go against orders and this situation may not have occured. The police may very well have detained Mr. Martin at the back entrance of the subdivision, checked him out and let him continue home with his Skittles. Our police have a very important roles in society. They dont need these over weight skin head vigilanties protecting anything or any body. These guys need to go back to the Vol. Fire Departments and wash trucks!! Now before everybody starts calling me an on my knees liberal, please know that defending a home from the boggey man is resonable but having these nuts running around playing Vol. Armed Public defender is just crazy stuff.

• Guestsnc says:

Mr. Zimmerman should not have followed Trayvon. The 911 responder told him to stop following him. (It has now come out that Sandford’s mayor insisted on making those tapes public, against the desire of the police dept. and city attorney to not release them.)Mr. Zimmerman’s attitude is also suspect because of the way he was talking about Trayvon on that tape. Mr. Zimmerman also has a record of violence. If a man began following me like that I would get very nervous. Unless he is an authority (i.e. law enforcement) I don’t need to tell him why I am walking in the neighborhood. I know young teens; if this happens to them where someone begins following them my advice would be dial 911 and keep them on the line — at least that way the authorities will hear what’s going on. With these smart phones most folks have, I’d also advise them to video the person, for the record.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Ol’ Somethingorother Muhammed is all over the Internet talking about athletes and celebrities pledging money. It’s a million, now.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

The left and their media stooges would NEVVVVVVVVER exploit this situation and try to “take advantage of a crisis” would they?

Since this story became national, they’re tripping all over themselves trying to launch a new offensive on your right to own a firearm or to defend yourself.

The investigation isn’t even over, but the law is bad, Zimmerman is guilty, it’s because of guns, it’s because of concealed carry, etc, etc, ad nauseum.

Denying what is actually happening is what’s crazy.

• Reginald Denny says:

Mr. Redmon should not worrie himself to much with white on black violence in downtown, The only violence I have been hearing about has been black on black. Besides, the only white folk that will be at his little demonstration is the Wimington Police Department. Good luck with that! I will wait for the film at 11.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Try as I might, I just don’t remember the black community in a tissy after OJ Simpson killed TWO WHITE people. As a matter of fact I recall the black community celebrating when he was found not guilty. Where is the jubilation now? Karma?

• Rat says:

Rush must be reading your comments, he was asking these same questions.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Mike, not long ago you were pretty damn upset that a store owner shot and killed an armed robber. You felt that the police should have handled this issue, of course they were not there at the moment. I am just not sure where you stand here. I can only assume from your posts that it is okay to defend yourself if you are home, but not in the street or at your place of work. For every shooting like the Zimmerman case, there are a thousand like the link below. Time for people to make a choice, victim or not!

• mica says:

Zimmerman is a coward, those who sit behind their computers to vent their racist comments fed by ignorance are cowards. I’m sure most who come online making useless comments have ‘black friends’ just like Zimmerman. Trayvon was unarmed and minding his business. His character is irrelevant to what happened. Until someone proves he was entering or exiting Zimmerman’s vehicle or home, I will continue to keep my belief that he was racially profiled by a total idiot, wannabe cop. There is no proof that he broke Zimmerman’s nose nor any other fabrication that has ‘leaked’ from Zimmerman’s mouth. Justice for Trayvon, I wouldn’t wish the pain of his family on my worst enemy. Also in this ol’ great country we are innocent until proven guilty, and the Sanford justice system is the true failure, however I stick to my opinion. Trayvon didn’t get the chance to be innocent due to stupid people, he was judged unfairly. :)

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…undermines the basic requirement to apply deadly force, that you are in fear of serious injury or death. From what I know about the case, I’m not convinced that Zimmerman can meet that level of proof, and won’t be surprised if he’s indicted and sent to trial. I won’t go so far as to say he murdered Martin, but I think he may have royally screwed the pooch.

• Why?? says:

Its a shame it took for something like this to happen for us to come together. I dont have a problem with putting this event together but I mean what about the black on black crimes that has been going on in the community. Not only that but the killings periods. (black white etc). All this crime going on in wilmington and it take something like this for it to be a “wake up call”. Dont get me wrong Trayvon didnt deserve to die, nobody does and I do think that this situation could have been handle differently but we do not know all the facts.
    Ha then what kills me is everyone want justice for trayvon but what about the people who have died in wilmington and their killers still walking around free?? Some of yall even know who the killer is. Oh and before the race card is pulled. I am *black*

• MrMeTo says:

Y are you so mad that this boy parents want justice? JUSTICE 4 TREY..u must be a pig oops i mean cop? right As for me i dont live in wilmington, but im from there, c/o 2000 wbhs! While u crying bout news in wilm im 12 hours away laughing @you cus ur stuck there & at a dead end job..move away man u mite can find some real work..oops

• MrMeTo says:

And anotha thing i will b coming home this weekend and i will be attending this rally on 8 th street. So if u wana come down there n kick it with us im sure we will have a Grand ol party. Bring all your big mouth guesty friends.!I support this rally!

• Grand Ole Party says:

Uh oh someone has been hitting on the crack pipe, where did I even mention this boy’s parents in the above post? Can’t find it? That’s okay neither can anyone else. I am happy you found work 12 hours away, I hope shucking oysters in Louisiana pays you well. If you learn to spell maybe you can find work a bit closer to home cupcake.

But maybe you should support spending time learning the English language.

• can't we all just get along? says:

I have a question. Who is actually making race a factor in this death? The man who shot this kid is NOT white, he is hispanic. The black panthers and everyone else have already tried and convicted this man. Why is so much attention being put on this killing? Is it because a teenager is involved? Is it because the “shooter” is being labeled as “white”? I don’t get it. There was a child, I believe he was 9 months old, that was killed inside his home from someone who shot at his house numerous times with a AK47. Where was the outrage and media hype about that? This was an infant. Is the reason that story didn’t get media hype because the shooter was black? It seems to me that the black community is saying that it is ok for a black to kill another black, but not for any other race to kill a black, otherwise the black panthers and al sharpton will be showing up screaming racism. I haven’t decided what I believe about this shooting because I haven’t heard ALL the facts.

• Grand Ole Party says:

“Were not goin to stop until zimmerman is locked up or…..yea”

Now this is funny. Let’s be honest, you are not going to do JACK!!! You will sit in Wilmington and hope someone does something, but in the end you will still be on your couch watching re-runs of Family Matters. You’re nothing more than a wanna be with a keyboard. Not a single soul is worried about you. Why don’t you carry your tough a@@ down to Fla. and tend to buisness? You know why? Because ole Mr. Zimmerman will you put six feet under as well.

That sounds like a threat.

• Gustafo says:

“black people not playin anymore?” Oh really? A lot more black on white crime happens in this country than the other way around. Not to mention the black on black crime that’s happens more often than white on black crime. That’s a cold hard fact. If you can’t take that into consideration, then you think emotionally instead of rationally. If you ask me, it’s the other races who aren’t playing anymore because they’re arming themselves and refuse to be a victims anymore. CASE IN POINT.

• confused1 says:

Funny, no one protested in the streets after Curtis Dixon strangled, drugged, raped and killed Jessica Faulkner here in Wilmington.

• GuestReality says:

Excellent point! If they had, they would have been accused of being racist….but it’s OK if this group does it. How insane is that?

Um, isnt Curtis Dixon in jail? I do believe he is not leaving voicemails on people’s phones thanking them for their support and hiding. To try and compare the two cases is just ridiculous! I hope you are not an attorney.

Well, that’s funny huh? Question: was he arrested and charged with his crime? If so, nothing’s funny…if not, well you can start the protest. :)

• Not Surprised says:

“I am Trayvon” huh? So these people support a 17yr old male who put a man on his back and proceeded to beat him to the point that he broke his nose and cut his head? Beat him to the point that the man was yelling for help. If Zimmerman was indeed acting in self defense then it seems like poor little Trayvon got what he needed.

If this group wants to talk about equality and how far we’ve yet to go, maybe they should consider the fact that the majority of young black males are killed by other young black males.

I sure hope they call you to the witness stand, cause obviously you were there right? I guess Zimmerman screamed and right when he pulled the trigger, he just automatically stopped huh? I guess when the two neighbors came out and asked him 3 times, what was going on, he was so petrified that he looked back at them without saying anything. Now in my opinion someone who was just attacked so savagely would have ran to the ladies and frantically told them to , hmm, I don’t know…’call the police, I was attacked’ or something close to it. I’m sure you’re on Zimmerman’s side, cause you’re also a ‘white hispanic’ maybe? I’m sure if you saw someone ‘suspicious’ in your neighborhood and you had a gun, you’d follow them like a fool as well. smart people.

• PublicAvenger says:

Let me see…….
    He broke the man’s nose
    The man had a gash, to the back of his head, and grass stains on the BACK of his shirt.
    A independent eyewitness confirmed that Martin, not Zimmerman, was the aggressor.
    It was a struggle for a gun, which put Mr Zimmerman in a life threatening situation.

Somehow, the glove just don’t fit here.

But these facts mean nothing to Jesse Jackson, nor the Black Panthers. The same Black Panthers who were dancing and celebrating when OJ Simpson, a real murderer, was acquitted.

Its time to look at ALL the facts in this case, and put skin color aside, even if the Black Panthers don’t like it.

• blackpower says:

according to the witinesses trayvon was yelling for help. the dispatcher told zimmerman to STOP following trayvon. If he wouldn’t got out the car trayvon wouldn’t be dead. Why zimmerman not comin publicly with his story ?where are his bruises at least pictures? Say what you want but if a white man follow me I will be scared. Either way I’m sure if justice not serve somebody will end up killing zimmerman in florida its the truth. There’s already a hit on him black ppl not playing anymore being abuse scarred spit on days are OVER.

• mrmetoo says:

Zimmerman approached an unarmed man looking for trouble, in the process he gets his butt beat and his nose broke, then he remembers that he doesnt know how to fight so what does he do ..pulls out his pistol and blows a kid head off!!?then tells a one sided story, cus obvisouly treyvon cant tell his side of the story.juss bcus u see a strange african american walking the streets with a hoodie on cus its raining doesnt mean there up to no good. So yes right now its an eye for an eye. Were not goin to stop until zimmerman is locked up or…..yea .

This shooting has nothing to do with the black on white crimes of the Wilmington 10 and 1898 riots.

• mrmeto says:

Yes i think this is a wake up call for all americans,we need to stop goin by the old school ways like in the early 1900’s and start seeing the bigger picture. This is north america and if u cant work along side with another race then “kill yourself”. But on the flipside of this the Streets & the BP party has a $10,000 hit out on zimmerman.cant hide forever champ!

• Grand Ole Party says:

What kind of wake up call stupid? Do you even know half the facts? The Streets and The Black Panthers are a bunch of pansies. They group together because alone they are afraid. He won’t need to hide forever, no one will do a damn thing. Some kid decided he was a bad a@@ and now some kid has been buried. Life goes on, just not for him. No more thug nasty for this young lad. I have seen the pictures of him the media is using, the ones on his facebook are much more telling. Was he wrong to shoot him? Hell I don’t know I was not there, but every single issue does not have to be a race issue. I can’t fathom why people are not up in arms when a black on white crime happens. No race issue there right? Damn hypocrites. I am not buying into it.

MOB mentality is all that is going on here…if the FACTS hold…Tray got what he deserved. If a 17 year old was sneaking around my neighborhood in dark clothes with a hood on at 2am…I THINK I would be a slight bit suspicious myself. It was 15-18 year olds breaking into houses over in Meadowbrook…even beat a dog with a golf club.

Wanna be a ganksta…you can take a bullet like one when you meet an armed citizen!

• Guestyish says:

Lesson here. If your in fear of your life and the perp is black, DO NOT DEFEND YOURSELF! Just lay down and take it or else you will either get a witch hunt after your arrest and/or a bounty on your head.

• Das Weibstück says:

Waste of time.

• Gustafo says:

From yahoo news.
    “Trayvon Martin decked the Neighborhood Watch volunteer … climbed on top of [him] and slammed his head into the sidewalk several times, leaving him bloody and battered.”

“That is the account Zimmerman gave police,” the paper said, “and much of it has been corroborated by witnesses, authorities say.”

So all of you people who so easily let the media control the way you think and form your idiotic opinion before you get all of the facts, can step off.

Trayvon was the aggressor and Zimmerman will be a free man. Only now he has to watch his back for the real ignorant racists for the rest of his life. Don’t you just love how the media showed a pic of Trayvon when he was 12 and threw in that Zimmerman was a “white” latino? Top that off with an innocent child just going to get skittles, and that is your formula for a riot in Florida. Just like the one that happened in LA. Hopefully the innocent whites in Florida will be more prepared than the ones in LA.

I guess the actual 911 tapes dont count right, just one eyewitness account?

I’m sure the drug dealers at 8th and Red Cross won’t mind the extra customers.

I will be sure to tell your drug dealer you said Hi since you seem know they exist in this neighborhood.

• anne says:

I’m with you on most of what you said. First of all, I will say this is a very sad situation and I am not sure the real truth will come out. Anyway, the fact that the new Black Panther group has put out a bounty on him says alot about them. Mob mentality will rule. I don’t think alot of these people are really interested in the truth. They want a reason to riot and hurt others. I also have a problem with the young man’s parents. He is dead and they are blaming others, but yet, they are doing their best to make money off of the back of the death of their son. Doesn’t say much about them, now does it?

The media has alot of blame in this because they started putting out stuff before the story became known. They are fueling the fires of racism. And now that Al Sharpton is involved, good bye common sense. The man is a racist of the 10th degree and leaves a path of destruction no matter where he goes.

You have to either be new to Wilmington or just dense to not know about that area. Dense seems to fit in your case.

• Gustafo says:

911 tapes don’t account for anything but audio and actually there were two eye witnesses. The guy getting his head smashed in, and a boy who seen Trayvon smashing Zimmerman’s head in from a few yards away. 911 operators are not law enforcement officers so you don’t have to abide by what they say. Hell, I’ve known of certain people that work the call center here with lengthy criminal records.