Local developer Nick Garrett has died

Tags: ,

Submitted: Tue, 04/24/2012 - 4:57pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Charles Nichols Garrett Jr., better known as Nick, died Saturday at the age of 53 of a heart attack.

The Wilmington Businessman leaves behind four children: one daughter and three boys. The youngest is Nathan, who we introduced you to back in November for being a champion duck-caller. When we spoke with Nick about his son, he had nothing but praise for all of his children.

Those close to the Garrett family remember him as a loving man.

Garrett was a prominent developer, who built and designed homes and offices.

In 2009, Garrett personally filed for bankruptcy. He said the bankruptcy was a result of a long-term lawsuit settlement with his ex-wife Lee Brewer.

His personal life was also in the spotlight back in 2009 when he took the stand before a federal grand jury and the state Board of Elections during investigations into former Gov. Mike Easley. Garrett admitted donating money to the North Carolina Democratic Party with the intention of benefiting Gov. Easley after he had already donated the maximum amount allowed directly to Easley.

Garrett was well-known in our area, and many viewer comments suggest that he and his craftmanship will be missed.

Andrews Mortuary is handling funeral arrangements.

• Tell is like it is says:

The truth is the truth, whether a person is living or has died.

• Gene Ikner says:

Nick Garrett was an amazing guy. I have known nick for almost 25 years and have also worked for him. My heart goes out to all his family and friends. Wilmington and the area has lost a great piller of the community. He will never be forgotten, but surely missed!

• north mattamuskeet says:

Nick was a great guy and a pleasure to have known for a number of years.It was easy to tell that the number one thing in his life was his children and spending time with them.He had a sense of humor and I really enjoyed being around him.RIP

• Friend of Nick Garrett says:

Nick Garrett was a true gentleman and one of the kindest men I’ve known-he always had a smile no matter how difficult times may have been. We have all made mistakes in our lives, but one’s time of passing is not the time to hide behind a computer and sully the great memories that many people have of this gentle soul. Rest in Peace Nick Garrett-you will always be remembered for your many contributions to your community and for the love you shared with your many friends and family.

• Buck Williams says:

Nick was not only a great visionary, homebuilder and businessman but a great man and mentor. He not only had time for me when I was an employee but also after I left his amazing company to go out on my own. He taught me so much about fine homebuilding, good business practices and most of all how to treat clients. I will forever be grateful to Nick and the entire Garrett Family. I feel a huge loss tonight and will for many nights to come. RIP Nick and know you are loved and appreciated.

• Robert Wallace says:

I had the pleasure of workink for Nick for 10 years. I was treated with respect and felt close to Nick. I personally will miss him greatly. May his family find comfort,and may Nick rest in peace.

• Marcie says:

I truly believe that one of the reasons Wilmington is the special place it is today is due to Nick Garrett. He was an extremely talented and giving person and worked very hard to make Wilmington more beautiful. I will remember his bright smile and southern charm. Rest peacefully darling Nick.

• David Ward says:

I knew Nick for many years and I never heard him say anything that wasn’t good about anyone. Nick loved his fellow man and he respected others. He was a hard working man and he kept his word. He was loyal to his friends and treated everyone fairly. Knowing Nick he probably would say to Karma, well you just can’t please everyone. Nick was genuine and he had class. That’s something that Karma wouldn’t know anything about. I for one was glad to have known Nick, and pray God’s peace be with his family. Nick will be greatly missed.

• Tricia says:

I didn’t know Nick well personally, but I did know his work from a mile away. It is stunning! I loved his work for years. He inspired me all through school at CFCC, and I had the privilege of meeting him after a scholarship fundraiser for students like myself; students that had dreams and hopes in life to get a college education. It is because of humble, generous people like Nick, I was able to get my college education. He is THE reason I was asked to give a speech during that luncheon. Before that speech, I had never laid eyes on Mr. Garrett. When asked of what my plans were after school, I told the 300+ individuals that attended, I wanted to work with Nick Garrett and build beautiful houses all over Wilmington.
    After the luncheon, Mr Garrett walked up to me, handed me his business card and said, ” You call me as soon as you finish school, and come by my office to talk anytime.” I was in shock, and elated at the same time. I had no idea he was even in the aditorium. I did get to meet with him at his office. He introduced me to his family, all his staff, and it was very clear how respected and loyal he was by all. He spoke of all his children as if they had all hung the moon. I hate I will never get the chance to work with him. But in the brief period we knew each other, and even before we knew each other; Nick inspired me, and he believed in me. He will be and still is sorely missed. May his creations stand the test of time. May God bless his children, and always remind them of just how much they all meant to him. Rest in peace Nick, and thank you for the impact you made in my life.

• Allie johnson says:

After meeting mr. Garrett a few months ago i began spending a lot of time with his children. A couple of weeks ago, i found mr. Garrett at neptunes bar after a big tarheel victory (elease was there too). I told him that i had recently been spending time with his son brewer and his girlfriend allie, as well as his other kids elease and nick. I told him that i have met so many people already in my life and that his children are some of the most special that i have met. I told him that he had raised loving humans with real souls, and that i plan on hangin around his family for a while. He smiled at me with those same eyes and smile as brewer. I hope mr. Garretts warm soul and genuine spirit will be carried out through his beautiful family for years to come, and may the sun continue shining on them.
    Sending love to the garretts and all those close to them

• Steven Little says:

Nick was one of the finest people I have ever known in my life. I am not saying he was perfect, just one of the best. For over 30 years Nick was a friend far better than I deserved and one of the few people in this world whose respect I would like to have. My prayers are with Nick’s family. Just in case my name does not appear elsewhere in this post it is Steven Little and my life is better because Nick was in it.

• Bill Slaughter says:

I knew Nick for nearly 20 years and this news is sadly received. Sadly, I’m half way around the world from Wilmington and will not be able to attend the services ~ my thoughts and prayers go out to the Garrett family and those closest to them.

Respectfully,
    Bill Slaughter

• Guesto1223 says:

I find it odd that it appears that “Karma’s” post has been removed. Is WWAY now censoring comments that some find distasteful?

• Concerned Citizen says:

ABSOLUTELY they are and thank goodness!! A post like that shows nothing but a classless, mean hearted soul. I pity the person that feels it neccesary to post such hatred towards someone whom is deceased. So sad that our community has such simple-minded people in it. Learn to live, let live, and carry love and compassion in your heart. It will help your “karma” in the long run, too ;)

• jimmy ward says:

Yea i worked for Nick Garrett for 15 years and learned so much in that time. He was a great boss and enjoyed every day. I no i will miss bo. All prays go out to his kids and his parents that were like my second parents!!! REST IN PEACE NICK !!”

• Henry Hanson says:

RIP Nick

Live fast, die young

• Mitch and Connie Baker says:

This is so sad. He was a great architecture.He had a great group of people that worked for him. He and his group remodeled our home when another contractor here in town would not give us the time of day.So glad Nick and his team did it.Great work. Our Sympathies to the family. We saw him Garden Party weekend and he looked great wow, I guess the Lord wanted him bad.Rest in peace Nick.

HOW SAD !! I loved his architecture, always so beautiful. I always said I wanted him to build me a house one day. Sympathies to his family.

• Michelle Losano says:

How dare you post something as untasteful as this…even if you were too much of a coward to put your name on here…since you’re such an expert in karma, you should know that it will find you…name or not! Shame on you…have some respect!

• smileyface says:

Do you have a heart? I guess your life just sucks, huh? I hope someone says the same about you when you pass away, leaving behind teenage children, that need their parent. You are probably just mad that so many people care about him and don’t give a crap about your sorry self.

Im sure when you die nobody will notice unlike nick who touched many lives in very positive ways. So I hope your karma catches up with you very quickly bc we don’t new people like you to make rude comments we need more men like Nick!! RIP buddy

I think I knew Nick well enough to say that he would have never said something so classless and vile in a time like this about you or anyone else. Shame shame shame.

• Johnny Mercer says:

Dear Karma The Bible tells Us to Pray for Those who Persecute you. You Are Truly in much Need of Prayer, it saddens me to know there are really are people here like you scared to show your identity. Can you truly throw a single stone or will you be Judged by he who resides in the obis .YOU DO UNDERSTAND don’t you ? My Prayers go ou to you .

• Harold Young says:

I grew up with Nick, he and I became freinds at the age of six, we lived across an alley in Decatur,Al. We played together and got our first dirt bikes together. He was always going to be a business man, one of his first businesses was selling izod second shirts and other things from the back of a van. He was a true friend and was like a brother to me. I will miss him and be in prayer for his children and mom, dad, and sister. Love you Nick, see you on alligator creek!!

• Guest Of Here says:

Karma does come back around once in a while.

• John says:

Exactly.. posting something like that at a time like this… isn’t doing yours any good.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Let’s just hope it catches up to you soon.

What a shame for this ignorant person. RIP Nick garrett.

• GWMZ says:

While perhaps this is not the appropriate time for the comment, when someone dies unexpectedly or tragically, it does not negate the ills and hurts they caused in life. Mr. Garrett behaved in an amoral manner and his death does not atone the harm he did in life. So, again, this forum was not the appropriate place for the Karma comment but again, one’s death does not change how one lived their life.

• Not Perfect says:

Hey Karma – go look in the mirror. If you see absolute perfection in yourself, having lived a life without mistake or sin, let me know and we’re going to send you on a world wide tour that even the Pope will get a front row seat for. If you don’t, fall to your knees and apologize. Or not.

• southernmomma says:

How can you talk about karma at a time like this!You are being very disrespectful to all of his friends and family.My husband worked with Nick years ago and has nothing but respect for him and his family.I talked to him often myself on line.He did beautiful work and will always be remembered for his kindness and his work.My heart goes out to his parents ,children and all of his family during this difficult time.

You are 100% correct, exactly why you should watch your back after posting such a hateful comment in a time like this. His family is grieving and you have the nerve to post this. Just shows what type of person you are.

Wow, I feel sorry for the person that wrote that. Who in the world would have such a sick thought at a time like this. Nick was a great friend and a wonderful father. He was surrounded by people that were touched by his smile and kind words. He will truly be missed.

• Gery Vaughan says:

Nick was a nice man. Prayers for the family.

• EL says:

LEARN TO SPELL YOU’RE NOT YOUR!

• Steve Maillard says:

Unlike you , I have printed my name and am easy to find. I knew Nick personally and judging from your comments, you have no heart or soul and the world will be better off when you die. I doubt you are the perfect person to be condemning anybody. Look me up, love to talk to you.

• Steven Little says:

Nick was one of the finest people I have ever met in my life. I am not saying he was perfect, just one of the best. He was the same in any situation that I ever saw. He was one of the few people in my life whose respect I would like to have. To Nick a true friend, better than I deserved. My prayers to his family and friends. Just in case my name doesn’t show anywhere else on this post it is Steven Little.

• A.Moss says:

I did business with Nick 20 years ago , he was a joy to do business with ! He was straight forward ! Hadn’t been in Wilmington in the same business , but I know it would have been GOOD business ! Rest in Peace Nick ! You are a great Guy !

• SuperDave says:

Nick was a wonderful, giving, cool person that I had the pleasure to meet and work for on and off for 10 years. You were a role model for many builders and will be missed. God Bless him and his family.

• Laura Pate Birchett says:

such a tragedy… my heart goes out to the Garrett family…

• Tricia Macalka says:

My heart just breaks for his family. I feel so honored to have been able to know Nick and see his beautiful work around Wilmington. He was a mentor of mine, and my deepest condolences go out to everyone whos life he touched with his amazing craft and companionship.

• NewGuest says:

No matter what some may have thought about Nick personally…he was a great businessman and supported his community. I knew him through his kids and know that he loved them a bunch. Prayers to his kids…Elise, Nick, Brewer and Nathan…and other family members.

• Ken says:

I never knew this man so I cannot speak to the type of person he was. I am, however, amazed that some find it so easy to speak ill of the dead. There are those I have disagreed with over the years that have passed on and I found a certain pride in not speaking ill of them in death. It would be nice if more people could be respectful of others both in life and death. It is a problem that is growing increasilgly worse with each passing generation. I hope we change our ways as a society before it is to late.

• Shirley Lloyd Craig says:

My heartfelt sympathies to the Garrett family and friends.