0 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , , ,

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — The head of the North Carolina chapter of the NAACP says his activism will not be hindered by his conviction on a charge of misdemeanor disorderly conduct.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reports The Rev. William Barber pleaded guilty in Wake County District Court. The conviction carries no sentence. A second-degree trespassing charge was dropped.

Barber was charged after he and six others protested budget cuts during a session in the N.C. House last year. The group was arrested after chanting “Fund education, not incarceration” and “Save our children, don’t cut education” from the House gallery. Barber spent the night in the Wake County jail.

After leaving court Monday, Barber said the conviction will not hinder his activities legally or otherwise.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Comment on this Story

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!


 

Related News