THE RANT: Pantano pouts after AP calls race

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 05/09/2012 - 1:21pm
Updated: Wed, 05/09/2012 - 7:48pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY’S ‘THE RANT’ BY NEWS DIRECTOR SCOTT PICKEY) — I learned something interesting last night about former congressional candidate Ilario Pantano. Even though he’s a war veteran, an author, a former Wall Street executive, a father, a husband, etc., etc., he doesn’t deal well with losing.

First there was the Ilario Pantano of 11:02 p.m. That’s when our Asha Dave interviewed him live at his party at Mayfaire. Even though he was down by a point or two to State Senator David Rouzer, he was upbeat, excited, ready to wait it out for the long haul.

Then there was the Ilario Pantano of 11:17 p.m. That’s about when the Associated Press called the race for Rouzer. We called Asha from the station and let her know we wanted her to interview him again based on the update.

She called back a few minutes later and told me, “Ilario’s not talking to the media now.” What??? I asked her to repeat herself just in case I had misunderstood her over the roar of his supporters in the background. “He says he’s not going to talk to the media now and that he’s going home.”

That’s when I saw him in the live feed in the control room while we were in an interview segment. He was making his way across the room hugging supporters. Asha was still on the phone with me. “Tell him I’d like to talk to him,” I told her. I saw her walk across to him and let him know I was on the phone. “He doesn’t want to talk with you,” I heard back on the phone.

Wow, I said to myself, this guy is actually taking his ball, going home, and leaving his supporters behind after learning that he lost. I thought, you know, all he has to say is that it’s still too close to call, let’s sleep on it, see what the final numbers say in the morning, and we’ll take it from there. The AP’s been wrong before. Let’s never forget Truman and Dewey.

But instead, he pouted, refused to talk to the media, and left his supporters behind while he went home to sulk.

If that’s how Mr. Pantano handles defeat, maybe it’s a good thing he’s not going to Washington.

• JM says:

Rouzer’s a politician…IP is a PROVEN Businessman…
    Our country doesnt need anymore politicians…
    I agree with working up through the ranks and putting time in rate so to speak…however, our country faces one of the most FRIGHTENING times we’ve seen EVER…”THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIME,”-WAYNE LaPierre

-top to bottom our country needs more PATRIOTS like Ilario Pantano
    Continued success-Jason

• JM says:

SCOTT-how long have you been FAT LAZY COWARD –
    As well as being WEAK, mentally-physically-spiritually-ETHICALLY…
    I challenge you to come out from behind your KEYBOARD and report on something worthy…like how the NAZI party in GREECE managed to capture over 7% of the popular vote…
    or how THE MUSLIM BROTHERHOOD is on Obama’s payroll in top security positions…
    When did you sell out and lose your spine? If you ever had one!!!
    Musta been when you were shoveling donuts in your face collecting a paycheck to report on BS!!!

Rouzer’s a politician…IP is a PROVEN Businessman…
    Our country doesnt need anymore politicians…
    our country faces one of the most FRIGHTENING times we’ve seen EVER…

“THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS ELECTION OF OUR LIFETIME,”-WAYNE LaPierre

-top to bottom our country needs more PATRIOTS like Ilario Pantano
    Get busy doing something worthy of reporting!!!

Continued success-JM

• Janet Nutley says:

Last week you were bold enough to call Pantano a sore loser regarding the recent election. But yet have I heard you speak about the sore losers regarding the Marriage Admendment. I ask the same question, Why do they not understand they lost and go on with life and not be as you put it a “Sore Loser”. Marriage is between one Man and one Woman and that is how the marjority voted.

• wooduck says:

hockey,eh? makes me wish big ben would have pulled up the drawbridge back when he was mayor!!!

• GuestUSMC says:

I don’t think he has all his marbles anyhow. Any soldier that would pump a full magazine of rounds into an already dead body is lacking something. He certainly is not someone I would want as an elected official in any office.

• CRAZY!!!! says:

OKAY THIS IS WHY WE DIDN”T VOTE PANTANO! CRAZY!!!

Call pickey a coward but I’ll call you crazy JM. Really, nazi and muslim brotherhood? Credit out the door. Get checked brother or I’m afriad you’ll lose it someday JM.

• Retired Navy says:

What a resume: Wall Street parasite, disgraced ex-Marine, and now twice-failed political candidate. The simple fact is that Pantano isn’t merely unemployed (writing one book about yourself doesn’t qualify as “author”), he is UNEMPLOYABLE. After getting kicked out of the Corps he was unable to find a job even pumping gas, so being the supreme narcissist that he is, he had a brilliant scheme to reinvent himself as a far right-wing “Born Again Redneck” (to use his phrase). He only won the primary in 2010 because he pandered to a bunch of Tea Party lunatics who fell for the nonsense about his big plans in Washington. Like any other pol, all Pantano really wanted to do was vacuum up as much money as possible and then move on to another scam.

Pantano,
    PLEASE do not pack up your family and come to Disney World. They have had enough shootings down there without your crazy postal self making it worse. I fully expect someone to file a Federal Election Commission compliant about Pantano living off of campaign donations in the near future and Pantano to NOT pay his vendors. BYE BYE Pantano. Don’t let the door hit you where the good Lord split you!

• longcolt says:

would be : cluster B type narcisist with delusion of grandeur component. this is often due to military service which provides moderately difficult but achievable & defined goals. the achievments are followed by praise and recognition. the narcisist doesn’t realize that he/she is praised for retention purposes, but instead view themselves as elite and superior. this phenomena is also seen in some ems workers and nurses. ilario’s only legitimate hope for rehabilitation would have been incarceration for his war crimes which he will now discount as not his fault (like the election/s).

I think he was rude to his supporters. They worked hard for him and he just up and left everyone standing around. Wonder who paid the bill last night?

Why should he have to talk to the press? He was obviously in a very difficult situation. He was not obligated to talk to any reporter. All I see from this article is a person who is pouting over being ignored.

• Jason says:

I was there last night and he did tell his supporters THANK YOU and it was too close to call. He even told them to go get some rest because many of us had been working polls all day and were tired,he said “wait until the finial outcome”. He is a true American and he showed nothing but RESPECT to his supporters and Rouzer. You Mr. Picky speak false words. But, Ilario fought for the right for you to do that too!

• SuesueB says:

Sounds like Scott Pickey is the one who’s pouting. I heard Mr. Pantano say, around 11 pm last night, that the race was close and he was prepared to support support Mr. Rouzer if that’s who won. Good enough for me.

• Cape Fear Watcher says:

Well said Mr. Breazeale.

• RM says:

This is a very shameful piece of journalism. I was there with Ilario last night, I’ve been by his side since before the first campaign began. If he would have stopped thanking his supporters just to talk to you on the phone then that would be telling. But no, instead his priority was on making people like me feel appreciated, as he has from the beginning.

I hope your advertisers understand what brand of storytelling you sell, because you just lost a bunch of viewers. Bye bye WWAY :)

• Das Weibstück says:

How dare you insult Mr.Meeks? He is a kind man.

• Guest Apu says:

Typical WWAY coverage – attack anyone who won’t give them an interview the minute they ask for one. He had just talked to them 15 minutes earlier! Just be patient and wait for him or his campaign to issue a statement.

What happened to respectible journalists who would simpy say that (fill in the blank) “has not responded to requests for an interview” or “couldn’t be reached for an interview?” Instead, WWAY runs a hatchet piece on Mr. Pantano becuase he won’t reposond on the spot to breaking poll results.

What a bunch of unprofessional tools.

• GuestMan says:

Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid…. There is not one shred of truth to anything he has written.

• Hillary says:

WELL SAID!!!!!

• picklelily says:

Ricky Meeks is a good, kind man. Don’t put him in the same category, please.

• Mosey says:

If you didn’t pay the bill, it is outlandish to even bring it up…..that was rediculous

• Grand Ole Party says:

While I have no clue who Ilario Pantano other than a local politician, based on this article I would say you were pouting Scott. The guy didn’t want to talk to you on the phone, get over it.

• Proud to support IP says:

Contrary to what you may believe Scott the world in SE NC does not revolve around “only on 3″ WWAY. @ “quite rude”, the event was DUTCH TREAT which you would have known had you been an IP supporter and ACTUALLY BEEN THERE. We paid our own bills, thank you very much. Ilario spent a lot of time talking with each and every one of his MANY supporters and gee, too bad, so sad, that he didn’t have time for your reporter. Maybe he wants to get some rest and regroup a bit before making any more statements. I’ve been there on many occasions when IP said that he will fully support Rouzer in Nov.

And to all you nasty, hateful, stuck in the 1800s North Carolinians that can’t fathom someone from *gasp* New York or out of state winning: IP fought for ALL of us TWICE, so $#%& all of you!!!!!

My My Aren’t you touchy!! You must have paid the bill.

ABSOLUTELY!!!

• Indy Observer says:

I’ve lived a lot of places and seen a lot of politicos…and this guy is the most unlikable I’ve ever observed. No way to quantify it of course, but it is undeniable. I was at Mayfaire last night. His supporters in the back room were obviously on board, but other patrons just out for a night of karaoke and libations had story after another of how he made them feel…and it wasn’t good. Could not find one person who liked this guy outside of his obvious supporters.

• Will says:

I was married into his family for awhile and they are all CRAZY as loons! He is the most obvious narcissist I’ve EVER met- hands down!

• Dysfunction Monkey Junction says:

Please help because I can’t find a formal concession statement from Pantano. Is there one?

• Thereisnonews says:

Scott Pickey has been a crybaby for years…..always has…always will. He also uses his position to bully whoever he feels has shunned him. I doubt if this even gets posted, quite honestly. He also sensationalizes stories so he can get hits on his precious website and get viewers. I don’t blame him. He’s number 2 right now and needs all the help he can get. He’s been drummed out of every station he’s ever worked at. Pretty sure there’s no coincidence there. Remember WRAL Scott? There’s nothing vulgar or obscene in this post, so post it if you’re such a champion of getting “The Rant” out there and the public opinion…I think you won’t and you will hide behind your desk.

• Guest WestLA says:

Funny thing is that Pantano worked hard to get everything redistricted. He wanted the lines changed cause he thought it would help him . Well how did that work out for you Juan? And I heard his opponent say that as of this morning Pantano still had not called to congradulate him! And just a side notice here. I saw at Pantano party {agout 30 people strong ) they were all watching the hockey game.But you knowmbout 75% of Pantanos party was probably from New Jersey anyway.

• Joseph says:

Pantano is a joke, and doesn’t give two cents about anything but his name and bettering himself. He ran a dirty campaign against Mike Mcintrye, he is a murdered, and the fakest bible beater I’ve ever seen! Get the hell out of NC you self centered douche bag!

• Sick Twisted Freak says:

Im disgusted by some of the comments I am reading here. Never mind the ridiculous article by the reporter who feels he has to get a comment every 15 minutes, but to see Ilario attacked for his service to this country and for defending himself, as the evidence proved he did, is simply appalling. This is what’s wrong with America today….too many good ol boys and Internet tough guys and not enough people willing to stand up for what’s right.

A little home cooking went a long way last night. The Johnston county GOP is the political equivalent of a group of high school football players that stand around cheering as the quarterback forces himself on the head cheerleader only to claim they saw nothing when questioned by the cops. Those guys have got to go. They pushed their little buddy, the establishment guy, down our throat without giving Ilario a fair chance. That’s how politics is all across this county, on all levels…..and we aren’t going to take it any more.

Thank you, Ilario, for giving those of us who love this country and want to end the struggles caused by the political ruling class a voice. You’re a great man, a great patriot, and a true American hero.

• Guest Howatd W says:

I like Ricky, but he simply has not been able to win an election. Pantano can’t either. I was comparing thier losing elections. Difference is, Ricky is not given a fair chance because of prejudices while Pantano seems to feel entitled. No offense to Ricky.

Wow! If Pantano is a pouter, then must have attained his skills from Scott Pickey. Scott is the biggest pouter I know! This rant proves it. What an embarrassment for WWAY!

• GuestBS says:

This is not news, this is bs. Is this all you have to report?

• Guest Howard Wolowicz says:

Pantano – the new Ricky Meeks. Can’t win an election to save his life.

• Winnabow Guy says:

Of course Mr. Pantano is disappointed, but this could be a learning experience for him. I voted for McIntyre in 2010 primarily because Pantano could not show a track record of accomplishments in North Carolina. Rouzer has paid his dues in North Carolina; he has worked in local and national positions. Pantano wants to start at the top of the mountain; that’s not how you earn the job of representing the citizens in the 7th district especially when you are not even a native of the area.

Pantano appears to be a bright young man and if he should choose to run again, he needs to show the voters he has the ability to represent their best interests. He can demonstrate this ability by first volunteering on local planning boards, or running for local elected offices, e.g., town council or as a member of the county government; something that demonstrates he has the ability to represent North Carolina’s citizens effectively. This would help in his future quest for higher office. The voters currently have nothing to judge Pantano by other than his stating how great he is. His background does not show a consistent career progression. Pantano could benefit from observing and emulating Mr. Rouzer’s career before attempting to run for higher office again.

• Guest Michael says:

The hatred on this site is disgusting. I’ve been to local meetings where the vast majority of attendees are transplants and they are the ones making phones calls, putting up signs and organizing to defeat the socialist progressive agenda that is being forced upon us. How dare you put down people not born here who are rolling up their sleeves trying to save this country! The insults and inflammatory remarks raged on Pantano is despicable. I really hope these aren’t conservatives spouting all this hate.

• GuestMan says:

No, I mean an unemployed carpet-bagger that has poor judgement and an itchy trigger finger that shoots unarmed men 60 times. Why don’t you pack up and go back north with him to wherever up there you are from. This man is scum and has no business in the business of SENC.

“Why don’t you pack your bags and go up North with him” ummm, I don’t even know where to begin replying to such ignorance, but then again it’s a case of mind over matter. above all..Stay classy

• wooduck says:

WOW!! i’d definitely vote for for you and your ability to correctly and intelligently state “just the facts “! thank you!

• Guest 1 says:

Here, Here .. New York Yankee ? His Kind ?
    Do you mean War Veteran, Father, College Grad ? Although I would rather have someone in office with a vested down home interest, that just sounds ignorant..

• Guesttenheimer says:

It’s always the cowards that have never been fired upon, the ones that actually support our enemy that write trash like that against our very own soldiers. The faceless cowards and the traitors that attempt to be heros on a cyber blog.

• Hillary says:

Its a FACT that He gunned down two Unarmed men and posted a sign above their heads.Tired of all this exonerated crap (ITS A FACT HE GUNNED DOWN TWO UNARMED PEOPLE AFTER THEY WERE HANDCUFFED AND THEN UNCUFFED). Just because Ilario Pantano says something does not make it true.HES A LIAR! HIS WIFE IS NOT AN EXECUTIVE.HE DID NOT WRITE A BESTSELLER! HE IN FACT IS IN DEBT AND I AM GUESSING YOU STUPID PEOPLE WHO VOTED FOR HIM ARE GOING TO BE ASKED FOR MORE DONATIONS.GET A CLUE PEOPLE!

• Two more... says:

You forget to mention the two marines who accused him of wrong-doing in the first place…are they also faceless traitors?

• Guest1948 says:

Well put ElectionJunkie!

If I were Scott, I’d be afraid – very afraid. Pantano doesn’t take defeat well and obviously has anger management and self-control issues.

• ElectionJunkie says:

Scott, you dont want to mess with Pantano. This is the same man that gunned down unarmed Iraqis. His attitude clearly shows this man is not stable and he cant handle his emotions well and to think republicans actually voted for him again?? As Rouzer said, “we already been to the moon”, apparently Pantano visits his own moon quite regularly. Good luck on finding a job outside of politics Mr. Pantano!

• J.D says:

Wow you sound just like the type of person that would join
    those that spat upon our soldiers returning from Viet Nam. Pantano
    was exonerated of all charges from Iraq. Deal with that. Having
    heard him speak you would understand that he actually does care
    about this country as was his reenlisted after 9/11. He isn’t
    like those of you who think we should talk and give peace a chance while your homes are burned and heads cut off. I would take
    him over anything in the democratic party anyday.

You automatically take the liberal media view of the story without
    knowing why he didn’t want to talk again to lord Scott of WWAY. Please you probably believe the star news is reporting unbiased and
    fairly also.

• JoCo says:

Mr Pantano did not do himself any favors by coming up to Johnston County and threatening the county GOP leadership. He no doubt felt like an underdog in his opponent’s home county, but his tactics of intimidation didn’t go over very well up here.

I personally liked him in the debate I saw. He had great responses. He said the right things in public. If I had voted based on his debate performance alone I would have given him my vote over Mr Rouzer. He was that good.

The fact is, character counts. It is more important in a politician than the ability to connect with a crowd at a debate. We want to be inspired by ideas, but even more we want to believe that once elected you will be upright and honorable as you deal with whatever issues face us in the months to come. Mr Pantano talked the talk, but in spite of his best efforts he failed to walk the walk when he came up here to JoCo.

• Guest 101 says:

Why are you assuming all the Crow supporters would’ve voted for Pantano?? They may have voted for Rouzer, or lets just say IP got half and Crow got half the outcome would’ve been the same. Let me spell it out for ya…SE NC doesn’t want Pantano representing them!

I forsee IP rebranding and running as an Independent just to cost Rouzer the election. I to believe he is an ego-maniacal narcissist. I wish he would just go away…maybe move back to NY, but that’s way too big a pond for a little fish like IP. I told the regional GOP the first time around to not back this guy but they didn’t listen and in fact insulted me saying I wasn’t “onboard” or a “true Republican.”

Bottom line….Mike wins again and truely he’s probably the best of the lot :-(

• CT says:

So much talk about how Pantano “lost twice”. The ONLY reason he lost this primary was Johnston county voters supporting their own “local boy”. Pantano took 8 of 12 counties and Rouzer only took 4. I would say that’s a pretty strong and respectable showing. If Crow had dropped out long ago as he should have, Pantano would have easily won. As for his refusing to talk to the media… he wasn’t there for the media’s benefit, he was there for his supporters. The media needs to realize that not everyone will drop everything and foam at the mouth when they want to speak to them. Pantano spent his time there thanking his supporters and that’s all he needed to do. He was running to represent the people, not the media so he spent his time with the people and not the media. Get over yourself, Scott. You aren’t as important as you think you are.

• Beach Bum says:

Say that when…

Terrorist take over your flight…

Terrorist take your family hostage….

Terrorist kill someone from your family…

Terrorist kill a friend…

Terrorist threaten your very freedom…

Just say thanks and move along with Rick Wilson….

Maybe ya’ll can watch a Few Good Men together.

• GuestMan says:

You really buy into this “politics of fear” don’t you? When are you going to stop believing everything Dick Cheney says?

• Das Weibstück says:

Grand was thinking he was still posting on the Marriage Amendment article…… guess that “old” is catching up to him.

• Voices in your head says:

You won what?

• GuestMan says:

Please do not write or report on him again. He has lost twice, now maybe he will pack all his stuff in his carpet bag and go home.

• Guest 101 says:

Here Here!

Pack them bags and leave our state carpet-bagger. What’s wrong with the regional GOP…they’ve pushed a New York yankee carpet-bagger twice now in the 7th distrct without success, what don’t they get?

SE NC doesn’t want his kind representing us.

Time to move on.

• guest 101 says:

Hero…..really ??

He gunned-down unarmed people and then as if killing them wasn’t enough he pumpped like 20 more rounds into them.

quote: “I then changed magazines and continued to fire until the second magazine was empty. I had fired both magazines into the men, hitting them with about 80 percent of my rounds.”

Were these Iraqi men completely innocent…? Probably not, but he untied them and they were completely unarmed when they were killed.

• John Spicer says:

You guys are something else…Just because he refused to talk doesn’t mean he’s pouting. Highly inflammatory deduction. When you guys want to speak to someone you expect them to hop to. I have attempted to talk to the press/media/public officials regarding deliberate fabrication of facts by the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Department solely to commit grand theft auto. The corruption is rampant…Yet not a sole is interested..I guess I can deduce from your silence that you approve of these activities being committed upon law abiding citizens within New Hanover County?
    Lay off Pantano….If he doesn’t want to speak to you it is probably for a very good reason. This goes beyond news reporting. You are making a deduction regarding “pouting” rather than just reporting the news. The man is a hero and you are attempting to discredit his reputation just because he refuses to speak to you..King Scott?

• Guest CommonTater says:

Go away! The voters have spoken…. again!

• Political Analyst says:

For Ilario personally, It’s probably the best thing to lose now and move on,Since Mike Mcintyre the blue dog who garners most independents is going to win in the fall anyway.

He gave a great interview at 11:02, then just 15 minutes later you asked for another. come on!! he said in the 11:02 interview that no matter what the out come. If he lost he would support Rouzer in the Nov. election. What else did you want him to say??? He was talking with all the people that volunteered countless hours for him.

I would have not wanted it any other way.. He said what needed to be said and just because the associated press called Rouzer the winner, what would have changed?

and No, I wasn’t at the Fox and the hound last night. I watched WWAY.

• Voices in your head says:

Fundamentalist christian republicans tend to behave this way. They think the voices in their head are coming from God. When the reality sets in that those voices are just the result of mental disorders, they behave like spoiled children. Bronze age mythology has no place in 21st century government. Mr. Jefferson, build up that wall.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Talk about someone who doesn’t take losing well. Easy cupcake, it will all work out. We won, you lost. Drive on!!

• Wilmington Observer says:

Just because YOU were on the phone you expected him to drop what he was doing and talk with you? I don’t know the man nor am I a supporter but I think it makes it sound as if you got your feelings hurt because someone did not jump at the chance to be talked to, by you.

Wilmington Observer

• Michael says:

What a childish rant from Scott from a so called professional. I am not sure that I would want to speak with you either considering the lack of courtesy or professionalism you have chosen not to display in this article. I used to respect WWAY on their reporting, but I see that this is more of a personal slant than it is a professional one.

As far as the other comments pertaining to him being a hero: You were not there just as I was not. For anyone to judge what he did and how he did it without being there shows a lack of stupidty and a huge err of arrogance. Before trying to pass judgment, you may want to consider your own montrocities in your life before trying to call this man out for his.

Before anyone goes off half cocked, I did not support Pantano and I did vote for Rouser. I think too many people have forgotten the spirit of competition which is, you should be upset when you lose and everyone will handle losing differently. Tell me….are you estatic and joyful when you lose? Just like Pantano I want to win at everything I do and I am grossly disappointed when I do not!