0 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington man is homeless after an early morning house fire. Firefighters say the fire started a few minutes after midnight in the back corner of the home at 103 Wayne Drive.

Fire Department spokesman Battalion Chief Jon Mason said the homeowner told investigators a stranger knocked on his door and alerted him to the fire. It’s unknown whether the good samaritan was a neighbor or just a passerby.

The home is not livable, and the Red Cross is helping the homeowner out.

“According to our investigators, the homeowner did not have insurance,” Mason said. “The home was valued at about $200,000, and estimates are right now that the home sustained about $60,000 worth of damage to the structure.”

Mason also said the fire destroyed about $25,000 worth of items in the house.

Comment on this Story

Related News

FIRE GENERIC
22 hours ago
0 Comments for this article
Chimney fire damages Wilmington home
Read More»
Damage left behind by fire at area apartment complex. (Photo: Frank Blackley/WFD)
1 week ago
0 Comments for this article
Crews respond to fire at Wilmington apartment complex
Read More»
Wilmington Firefighters working on Thanksgiving. (Photo: Dustin Dorsey/WWAY)
2 weeks ago
0 Comments for this article
Wilmington Fire still hard at work on Thanksgiving
Read More»