UPDATE: 9-year-old dead after drive-by shooting; suspect in custody

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 05/28/2012 - 4:08am
Updated: Tue, 05/29/2012 - 7:44pm By:

WALLACE, NC (WWAY) — A nine-year-old boy is dead after a drive-by shooting on Saturday afternoon. Meshan Kentay MacMillian is now in the custody of the Wallace Police Department. The Wallace resident was arrested Sunday afternoon with first degree murder of nine-year-old Leon Albe Halley III.

“Anytime somebody gets killed in a sensitive manner like that, especially a 9-year-old child, that’s much more tragic,” said Bobby Maready, Wallace Police Chief. “He had a whole life ahead of him, to get snuffed out this early for no reason at all, it’s totally stupid.”

MacMillian is also charged with discharging a weapon into a dwelling house from a moving vehicle, possession of a firearm by a felon and felony conspiracy. He is in the Duplin County jail with no bond.

Police say MacMillian is not the only suspect involved. They say they are still investigating and that this incident may be gang related.

Police were called to the 400 block of Satchell Street in Wallace just before 4 p.m. on Saturday to respond to the shooting death of the nine-year-old boy, Leon Albe Halley III, who died on the scene. The Halley’s were in Wallace on vacation from New York.

Family says he was playing video games in the living room of the house right before he was killed.

“The doorbell rang, he thought it was his cousin bringing back pizza so he got up to come towards the door, but I got to the door first,” said Latanya Halley, Leon’s Mother. “I heard a pop and when I turned around he collapsed.”

The family is distraught over the loss and say they will remember little Leon for the rest of their lives.

“He had a crazy laugh,” said Leon Halley Jr, Leon’s Father. “He loved sports, he loved helping his mother bake, just a typical 9-year-old kid just enjoying life and it was cut short.”

• PEACEFULONE says:

REALLY??? HE IS DEAD AND YOU ASKING A QUESTION LIKE THAT!? HAVE SOME RESPECT!!!

• GAL52 says:

There are GANGS right under our noses!! Recently went to a local carshow on College and there was a GANG there!! People are afraid to say anything to them..they were totally obnoxious to people around them at the show. Its the last time we go to this particular carshow!!

• leon halley jr says:

To tha person asking if my son is putting up gangs sings no its a peace sign like in all of his other pics we are not part of any gang my son an mother came dn to getaway from the crazy city life we live an son ends up getting killed in some lil town in n.c please leet my son rest in peace thank you

• GuestMan says:

Why don’t you get R.C. to concentrate on white-on-white crime in Columbus county.

I guess you missed the part that he’s in custody. Al and Jessie talk alot about it but the media don’t cover it. I do trust you in that you don’t have fear the captain, you’re white.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Why don’t you ask R.C. yourself next time the two of you are hanging out cupcake?

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…going to concentrate on Black-on-Black violence?

Trust me, it’s not those “white hispanic” community watch captains you need to fear.

• TracieC says:

Oh noooooesss….not a GANG in Wilmington! Have you been in a coma? And let me correct you just a little bit…here in the south (where they’re about 10 YEARS behind the rest of the country) they’re called WANNA BE GANGS! They act like they act because NOBODY says anything. They do what they want BECAUSE people act scared.
    As long as you live in fear these “types” of people will continue to walk all over you. There is no way in hell I would have let them get away with their rude, obnoxious behavior. But here, it will grow and fester, just like it has been for over 10 years. It started a long time ago GAL52…if you’re just realizing it you’d better smarten up!

• GuestReality says:

Mr. Halley and family, I’m so sorry for you loss. You don’t know me, and I don’t know you; but anytime a child’s life is lost, it’s a terrible thing, and a great tragedy for everyone. Some people are filled with hate, and will never have anything kind to say to anyone, ever. Please look beyond these selfish, unfeeling people and believe me when I say that not everyone is like that.

I know you will cherish your memories of your child. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

• Guestduh says:

Looks like a Westside sign. w/e You dont have to be in a gang to have the gang mentality.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Being a member of the Girl Scouts does not make one a veteran. Congrats on the job and paying your taxes though, I’m very impressed.

…before you pop a vessel! I’m not seeing anything racist about these comments, only that the fact the picture of a nine year old sporting gang signs with his hands and the sideways ballcap. Now, when black people WANT to be known by gang signatures, sideways ballcaps, 3x pants hanging off their butts and FUBU on their shirts, that’s what they get. If there’s anything racist about that, it’s because that’s what they want! Otherwise, act and dress like you have a sense of couth about yourself and attempt to be a functioning part of society instead of some sort of signboard saying “Look at me!” or more like, “Look at what I’m izz!”.

The perpetuation of racism is brought about by the very people that claim racism and just can’t seem to understand why. With trouble makers like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton poking their ignorant noses in the news, they do nothing but set racism back another ten years every time they get in front of a TV camera and microphone!

By the way “White Boy”, pull up you freekin’ pants and straighten your hat!!!

• sherice says:

THIS IS MY 9 YEAR OLD NEPHEW HE IS NOT THROWING UP GANG SIGNS HE SAYING PEACE STFU PPL PLEASE

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…even though Black males comprise only about 6% of the population. Of those, 93% are killed by other Black men.

If “Al and Jesse” are talking about it, they must be whispering.

• GuestMan says:

In a previous post you said you were in Afghanistan and I realized something. No wonder we are not doing any better over there than we are if you are the kind of people we have there. You spend so much time on this board I’m surprised you have time for anything else. Before you go there, I’m a veteran that has a job and pays taxes.

If only people could be a little less cruel and everyone be more centered. It matters not what he is doing with his hands. He was NINE YEARS OLD! A child.
    It is not our place to decide what he was doing. We should just feel remorse for the fact that this happened. We all have the ability to change the world. Of course it takes time and a lot of effort. If we all stood together we could make change happen. At least in our own backyards.
    Mr and Mrs Halley, I am truly sorry for your loss, I could not even imagine what you are going through. May your son rest in peace.

• Grand Ole Party says:

“And for the record, one of my favorite news stories in the last 6 months is the WHITE GUY (I’m white btw) who got arrested for having sex with his neighbors dog!!! Didn’t see any of the racists commenting on that one though.”

WWAY didn’t list the race of the dog, otherwise we would have posted racists comments. It’s okay to climb off that high horse now, nobody is buying the ^%$# you’re slinging. I have all the pity in the world for the nine year old victim, very little for the family raising him in a gang environment.

• SurfCityTom says:

a drive by shooting?

The article indicates the door bell rang and he answered it. That sounds more like a walk up.

Another relevant question. Was this gang related or an offshoot of a drug transaction gone wrong? And that in no way is a reference to the deceased. But something caused someone to take the shots.

• Guestbeiteverssotrue says:

Just one more gang related crime.

• SBR308 says:

His sentence should be to stand tied in that families yard and let them drive by and take shots at that coward until he is dead.

• Guest2010 says:

Look at the kid in the picture…he is nine years old and already throwing gang signs….the kid didn’t even have a chance from birth.

• Hannah Wright says:

I was born and raised in Wallace and it was a wonderful place to live – a very quiet, relatively safe, community – everybody knew each other and these kind of tragedies were uncommon if ever. Drugs will kill anything (your body, soul, mind and unfortunately innocent people). If the drug runners would just kill themselves and be sure they are killing themselves, you wouldn’t need to use our tax dollars to maintain them for years to come. Drugs kill your mind – the fast money leaves your hands as soon as it touches them – you end up in trouble and if God’s mercy don’t allow for you to change – you will end up in hell of fire. I pray that things will change and the little town of Wallace can return to being a wonderful place to live and work and raise a family. May God bless the bereaved family. Losing a child and your loved one is hard enough and especially harder in a senseless manner as this.

• Alex says:

You’ll need to get your eyes checked because clearly in the picture leon hat is on straight its just how he posses in the picture is makes it seem like it is turned to the side. Also a hat turned to the side is no sign of gang(s). Leon is flashing the peace sign in the photo. Tell me when that became gang related. Its always some racist person that looks for a reason to call a death gang related. Do your research people before you start judging.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Your ignorance has been missed. I am an expert on the peace sign, and you can bet your ass that ain’t no peace sign. Have you seen the picture that WECT posted? I suppose you think that is a peace sign too? But yes you are correct, a nine year old child has been killed. Now the question is why? Who is at fault? Why were gang members at this particular home? I may be a jacka@@, I won’t bother to dispute it, however you my friend fall under the dumba@@ category.

• Guestsad says:

A little less cruel? Not our place? Heaven forbid! We are “Christian” people. These are our core values. Not to mention our “southern hospitality”! Why, sir or ma’am, if you’re not like us, we must attack you. It’s what we do!

• Guest 1607 says:

You don’t know the truth, but I’ll tell it to you. Not only are you not politically correct, you are morally wrong. You should be honest with yourself and look at your heart as to the reason you say such hateful things to people you don’t even know. Obviously, you were not raised in the South because you would have been taught better. Remember, especially to people mourning the loss of a child, if you can’t say something nice, don’t comment.

• Troof-Doc says:

Totally agree !! That kid is flashing gang signs; NOT the peace sign. I doubt he even knew what the ‘peace sign’ was, lol !!
    His parents should be JAILED for child endangerment !!!! They took their kid, on a vacation trip, and stayed in some drug dealing thug gang member’s house. What idiot would do that ???
    They are probably now trying to figure out who they can sue and get some money from. LOL

• Grand Ole Party says:

People are not being cruel, they are angry. They want to know why a nine year old child was shot to death at his own house by thugs. They want to know why his family taught him to throw gang signs. We DO NOT have the ability to change the world if we close our eyes to the truth. The truth is pretty evident and you know it. If you do not ask WHY??? How in the hell can you change anything if you do not face the reasons why it is even happening? It matters a great deal what he was doing with his hands. Not because at the age of nine he was in the wrong, but because a relative taught him to do that. If in fact his father did teach him that stupid crap then we have a pretty good idea what his father was into and thus why a gang member showed up at his house and killed a nine year old child. You can’t fix something if you can’t even figure out what is broken.

• Grand Ole Party says:

But didn’t you just call me a troll? Didn’t you just say I was being hateful? Are those nice things? Why don’t you take your own advise? If you can’t say something nice, don’t comment. Or does that only apply to others? Hypocrite!

• Grand Ole Party says:

For once I was actually able to understand one of your posts. It’s still stupid, but I understood it.

• tweety12 says:

Didn’t say anything about who shot him or how they are living could careless.Don’t care why it happen a nine year old young man lost his life.A family is grieving and you talk about hand gestures and how he was being raised, you don’t know you can assume.Living in denial not even.See this isn’t about me its all about the young man and his family.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Good luck selling that B.S. I guess the photo WECT posted was him throwing up a love sign right? Give it a rest. We all know better.

• Grand Ole Party says:

You sound awful hateful twitty. But yes we do have some hate in our hearts also. We hate the THUGS that shot him. We hate the life he was being taught to live at nine. You keep right on acting as if this is no ones fault. It will just keep happening. Of the two of us, I would bet good money you are much more narrow minded than I am. You are not even willing to look at the real reason this happened. You are too much of a damn racist to even call the killer a thug. Let’s face it, black or white, he is a damn thug. Those are the simple facts, you just live in denial.

• Grand Ole Party says:

In both the pictures on WWAY as well as WECT your nine year old son is throwing gang signs. You know it and so does everyone else. He was shot and killed by a thug or thugs, and more than likely YOU brought on this unwelcome attention because you are thug. You taught your nine year old son that the gang life was cool. You should be ashamed of yourself. But more than likely you don’t even get it. He should have had many years ahead of him. I am aware this post is not politically correct, unfortunately it is the truth. Maybe if people would start being a bit more honest with themselves this crap wouldn’t happen so often.

• kendalle pope says:

this kid only knew peace his mother him and his sister live in church this kid has warmed the hearts of people throughout new york his church home has lost a major key player not a gang member!!!his hand signs only implement peace don’t judge this kid or his mother or fam he lived for the lord go and get a hoodie with leon on it and make sure that the demon that has crushed all our hearts in ny gets life!!once again black on black crime!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

You post verifiable statistics about the problems that the Black community needs to come to grips with, and you’re called a racist.

Tracie, I doubt that you even know the definition of racist.

• TracieC says:

Really people? A 9 year old CHILD is dead due to senseless violence and all ANYONE can comment on is skin color? Someday humans will get their heads out of their collective racist asses and realize….no matter what COLOR you are….crime is out there. How about getting off the racist bus and just having some compassion for this poor child and his family? Believe it or not….most people love their children (we won’t include the likes of Casey Anthony).
    I know the concept is really difficult for some but when HUMANITY decides to let racism go we’ll all see evil knows no color.
    Get over yourselves racists of the world….you’re no better than the next guy.

• Grand Ole Party says:

As opposed to the amount of time you spend on the boards? I guess you don’t spend much time on here either. Try again.

• tweety12 says:

Mr.halley,you know your son better than anyone.We are very sorry for your lost.There are very narrow minded people in this world.We know that everything is not a gang sign.You just let that stuff roll off your back.Keep your son alive in your heart and let those jack@@s keep hate in there hearts.

• tweety12 says:

grand i was going to leave this post alone,because a nine year old young man lost his life.With this post of yours i am convinced that you are a total jacka@@@.Are you an expert on gang signs.I don’t thank so unless its three up and two down.

• Grand Ole Party says:

You’re are damn right we are filled with hate, we hate this happened. How can you be unfeeling and filled with hate at the same time? Is hate not a feeling genius? None of this had to happen. Instead a nine year old child was killed by wanna be gangsters that were more than likely after the wanna be gangster father. Any father that raises his own child to throw gang signs at that age is nothing more than an ignorant thug. This poor kids father is partially responsible for what happened. He raised this innocent child in a gang environment and the child paid for it with his life.

• Guestwth? says:

Such a tragedy. Is he throwing up gang signs in the picture?

• Le Le says:

I am so distraught over this incident regardless of a hand sign this little boy was taught this this does not take away from the crime committed sure we need to watch what we teach our children but that fall on the parents, the child did not deserve to die, what was the motive of this particular house it will soon be revealed but for now Let’s just pray for those who are still left to mourn, the police has their work cut out for them in finding the dangerous suspects whom are still out there….

• Grand Ole Party says:

Guns kill? Damn near everything can kill you. Guns do not kill, it’s the people that are holding them that kill.

• GuestJester says:

Guns don’t kill, they are just tools utilized by people. People are the ones that kill. Just Saying.

• plzprotectchildren says:

STOP THE VIOLENCE… GUNS KILL..This is devastating for the family and friends of young leon.

• Joseph says:

Not the gun the person who pulls the trigger !

• Guest 101 says:

Exactly! And certain people are trying to say he’s not flashing a gang sign that it’s a “peace sign”….yea right?! I suppose the ride-by was just a random act and had nothing to do with gangs ??

• fozbot98 says:

Its sad when anyone loses their life to senseless violence. What concerns me more is the aparent environment this young man was exposed to. Take a good look at this picture and the one wect has. This kid was 9 years old. Just a baby.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Well if we outlawed motor vehicles people couldn’t drive drunk.

• GuestReality says:

If they didn’t have a gun they couldn’t pull the trigger.

If there were no guns they couldn’t pull the trigger so thugs would move on to the next deadly item. Before long you would have to ban bow & arrows, swords, sporks and sticks.

• Peyton Garrett says:

One arrested. Probably more involved if I had to guess. This is a case of where the only question is would this guy like to be well done or extra crispy. There is absolutely nothing to mitigate any factor to result in any less punishment.

• 789 says:

he aint the only suspect they need to make two more arrest

I hope MacMillian gets the death penalty.

• Shocked Citizen says:

What?! Wow! I have always wanted to move out of Wilmington to the country. I thought that Wallace was a safe and quiet little town- drive by shooting?! My sincere and deepest prayers and condolences to this poor little boys’ family.

• Mike Le says:

This is a tragedy. But why is a 9 year old kid showing a gang sign. This world is messed up.

• Jeremy says:

All the haters out there before you defend this man , his as S wouldnt breath another week if it was my kid, & it would be slow, unhumane & painful