Weather blamed for accident involving deputy, wife

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 05/30/2012 - 5:13pm
Updated: Wed, 05/30/2012 - 9:18pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Investigators say weather may be to blame for a single-car accident involving a sheriff’s deputy and his wife this morning in Brunswick County.

The Sheriff’s Office says Capt. Sammy Turner was on duty but not responding to a call when he wrecked his unmarked patrol car on US 74/76 at the US 421 merger coming from Wilmington. Capt. Turner was not hurt, but his wife Tina, who was with him, was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center to be checked out as a precaution.

The accident tied up traffic on 74/76, and a tow truck responding to the scene broke down, further adding to the congestion.

• Klinko Malinko says:

Inattention to the weather may have been the cause, but don’t try to pin it on the weather.

It’s called, “driving too fast for conditions.”

• Kenny says:

Under most circumstances your comment about transporting family in your police issued vehicle without prior approval would be true, however, this took place in Brunswick County. Over there they do as they please.

• Tim says:

quote “The Sheriff’s Office says there is no departmental policy prohibiting family members from being in a cruiser.”

Even read the article?

• GuestVader says:

The fact that the report mentions that there is no departmental policy excluding family from riding in a patrol vehicle tells me that the Sheriff already knows that the public will not like this and he is in the wrong. If there is no policy against this there SHOULD be and I expect will be.

The answer to your question is in the story, maybe you should learn to read before you start pointing fingers.

THE LAST SENTANCE ADDRESS THIS QUESTION, BUT I,M LIKE YOU. I THOUGHT IT WAS ILLAGAL TO. CAN ANYBODY CLARIFY THIS?

• tax payer says:

even if there is no rule against family in the car, it is still a county owned vehicle and I would like to see it treated that way. I pay taxes to Brunswick County. I, and everyone else that pays taxes, should say whether or not he should be using it for personal use. I think it’s rediculous to think they have the right to abuse county property and county funds like that.

• Me me says:

I would like the Sheriff to respond to this article- is it indeed legal for a wife to be in a deputy car while they are on duty and how about insurance in this situation? Did she have her seat belt on???

• Not your personal car says:

If he was on duty and in his police issued vehicle .. Why was his wife with him in the first place? Isn’t that illegal? Glad no one was hurt tho. I’m pretty sure you can’t use your police vehicle for personal use.

• Guest20121 says:

WWAY, why was the car being used for personal use? And did he receive a ticket?

• John says:

As far as Im concerned, no government vehicle is to used for personal use. I dont care on or off duty. My tax dolars dont pay for that. If there is a loop hole in the department policies it needs to be corrected. Im a retired law enforcement officer and no one was ever allowed in the department vehicle unless for official purpose. No friends or family were permitted in the government vehicle or used for personal use.

• Tammy says:

Where was he coming from,coming off 421 ,and his wife with him.Now what happens if she decides to sue the county who pays for that.He should get a ticket just like anyone else,for failing to see safe movement or traveling to fast for conditions or failing to travel in condition with the weather.

• Grand Ole Party says:

I try to defend our local law enforcement officers when all the haters start popping out. However I am afraid I will have to pass on this one. I can’t think of a single reason why a family member would be riding in a patrol vehicle. Not a smart move.

• timbo says:

How is it he was allowed to have his wife in the car. Especially while on duty. I was driving by right after the accident happened. The SUV was completely overturned and resting upside down. It was a good distance off the road and in the trees. A lot of debris was around also. Obviously he was going way to fast for the downpour that was coming down at the time in that area. No family or friends should ever be allowed to ride in official vehicles and especially while on duty. I also agree with others comments here that officers in this area speed for no apparent reason. I’ve even seen troopers and police turn on there lights and sirens to get through traffic and then turn them back off once through it. Even to get through a red light I’ve recently seen. Ridiculous abuse of power. This is not saying all officers do this. But definitely some do. What a shame!!!

• Shammalammadingdong says:

I don’t believe the whole weather was to blame thing. I live in Brunsco and can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen law enforcement vehicles speeding. I’m not talking about speeding to get to an emergency, but rather 10-15 mph faster than the posted speed during the rush hour drive home type speeding. Follow the rules you’re expected to enforce.

• Fedupmom says:

This is not the first nor will it be the last time a police vehicle is used for personal use. I have watched them use their police vehicles to take their kids to school every morning for the past 10 yrs. I’ve even seen one loading groceries into his police vehicle in Leland. I thought it was illegal but maybe laws are only for the rest of us. I’m thankful we have them around to protect and serve but come on.