NC lawmakers to OK Perdue move on jobless benefits


Tags: ,

Submitted: Tue, 06/05/2012 - 1:05am
Updated: Tue, 06/05/2012 - 1:06am
By:

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) – North Carolina lawmakers are weighing whether to scold Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue while also accepting her action allowing more than 47,000 people out of work for months to resume unemployment benefits.

Republican Sen. Robert Rucho of Mecklenburg County said Monday that attorneys recommend that lawmakers accept Perdue’s executive order last year. Rucho says that would prevent the chance that the U.S. Labor Department might penalize the state’s unemployment insurance fund for spending money it wasn’t authorized to spend.

Lawmakers last month introduced legislation that scolds Perdue for unilaterally ordering jobless payments to resume, ending her seven-week conflict with GOP lawmakers that blocked long-term unemployment benefits.

The legislation would both declare that the money started flowing under a step GOP lawmakers consider illegal, then make it legal after the fact.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply