Funeral set for Bladen Co. deputy killed in crash

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 06/11/2012 - 2:30am
Updated: Mon, 06/11/2012 - 7:17pm

BLADEN COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Bladen County Sheriff’s deputy is dead after a car crash while responding to a call.

The Sheriff’s Office says just before 11 p.m. Friday, Dep. Dewayne Charles Hester, 39, died while responding to an in-progress assault with a deadly weapon incident in his marked patrol car.

Dep. Hester was an employee with the Bladen County Sheriff’s Office for a little over a year. Before that, he was a police officer with the Elizabethtown Police Department for four years.

Dep. Hester is survived by his wife and two children.

There will be a visitation Tuesday from 6 to 9 p.m. at the Hickory Grove Baptist Church in Bladenboro. The funeral will be Wednesday, also at the Hickory Grove Baptist Church, starting at 2 p.m.

• Guest3.14159 says:

You can’t fix stupid

• Gina Priest Ward says:

My Prayers go out to his Family. God Bless! Bladen County Board of Elections

• Eddis Hester says:

I really wish people would use their names. His mother and wife might read this mess. He died doing his job. He was a very nice respectful person. You need to learn how to respect the dead that was just rude and unkind.

• james sutton says:

I’m sure he was a proud part of the bladen co. sheriffs office.Rest in peace…

• Ranger says:

Shame on you “Guest3″ -I would hope you would apologize to the family for this post. This officer served the community well and instead of posting your condolences, you post about accountability is in very poor taste. To the family of the officer who gave his life trying to save someone else’s life, my deepest sympathy.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Deputy Hester’s family and loved ones.

• Annise Johnson says:

Dwayne was more than just an officer. He was an awesome and outstanding human being. How sad it is to lose such a wonderful friend. He will truly be missed….

• AW says:

You are a complete idiot!!! With God’s help, his family and friends will pull through this. I feel sorry for you, though, because you will always be stupid!!!

• Joseph Nazworth says:

RIP brother. We will keep your family in our prayers….

• changed by this scene, forever in my mind says:

He didn’t hit anyone! He ran into a tree… it was a terrible accident and an unbelievable scene. You really shouldn’t comment in this manner unless you’re informed. RIP deputy Hester… praying for your family.

• shmily says:

You are living proof that you just cant fix STUPID! How dare you come on this public forum and make accusations that are totally UNFOUNDED and that smear the good name of my friend. Our community and his family and friends are hurting badly right now at the loss of this wonderful man! You owe us ALL a public apology on here. You need to be held ACCOUNTABLE for your actions and words.

Please befote you comment read the article or go back to what you were doing Friday night while Deputy Hester was doing what he loved I don’t do the job that he did and obviously neither do you so I do not have the right to judge I have the right to say Thank You for the service he so well did for so many. Also you should know he was more that a deputy he was husband a father to two small girls a brother a son a friend and so much more. He wasn’t ashamed to talk to anyone about his church and his beliefs. He will be missed

• Guest 8620 says:

What a terrible comment for you to make! Obviously you did not read the article..and WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE to want accountability? Your comment really shows what kind of person you are. My condolences and prayers for this family.

It was a single car wreck.

• BullShaw says:

You need to know all the facts before you assume!! He didn’t hit anyone so until you know a little more about what you are talking about you shouldn’t comment!

• Brother says:

From one Officer to another, you will be truly missed! Rest in peace brother!

• Bridget says:

Read it again! He did not hit anyone. He losy control and hit a tree.

What about the person He hit??? Collateral damages is never to be acceptable by any form of business, espially by our own law enforcement. I want full accountability for the Deputy actions.

• Jim, Susan, and John Luke says:

Our deepest condolences go out to Deputy Harris’ wife and children. Although these words cannot begin to comfort you, know that your husband and father’s service has reached far beyond the county borders in which he served. Our prayers are with you.

• Guest149i7 says:

RIP brother…

• CoWorker says:

Brother we love you and you will be missed. Rest easy Brother you have fought the good fight and paid the ultimate sacrifice. You will never be forgotten. Everyone knows what kind of man you were spiritually and we can all see you gaurding the pearly gates as you gaurded our backs when you were here with us. Rest easy Brother………..We love you and your family!

• Chrisr says:

You are gone but not forgotten. for the dangers tht lurch around every call and tree line don’t descrininate at all. I hope you find you place amongst Jesus Hisself, and have an eternal life with him. You will be missed greatly.

• Marilyn Kennedy says:

I think Deputy Hester’s family was very lucky to have had him in their life. Will be praying for them . God bless them .

• RON PROPST says:

MY FAMILY AND I WANT TO GIVE OUR CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILY OF DEPUTY HESTER. OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS WILL BE WITH YOU DURING THIS HARD TIME. AS A FELLOW DEPUTY HERE IN NORTH CAROLINA I KNOW WE RESPOND TO THE SAME TYPE OF CALLS AND WE NEVER KNOW WHAT THE OUTCOME MAY BE. DEPUTY HESTER HAS SERVED US ALL AND I’M SURE HE WILL CONTINUE TO SERVE THE LORD! OUR THOUGHTS WILL ALSO BE WITH THE BLADEN COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT. WE ALL WILL CONTINUE TO SERVE IN HIS HONOR! REST IN PEACE BROTHER.

• PublicAvenger says:

While so many people are graduating, this is a sad day in Southeastern NC. Thank you for your service. Rest In Peace. My prayers for the Hester Family, a strong part of Bladen County. We lost another good one, in our Law Enforcement family.

• wvhillbille says:

Your an idiot people like you should never be allowed to make dumb comments. Why would you even say anything workout knowing the facts? Damn I hope you feel stupid.
    RIP Brother keep the streets of heaven safe.

Condolences to his family.

I am wondering if since he wrecked and was killed while responding to a crime will the people who were committing the assault be arrested and charged with his death.
    I recall a year or so ago a man was charged in an officer’s death since the officer was speeding and hit a tree and killed. they sent the man who was committing the crime he was responding to to prison.

• Patricia says:

I am at a loss for words right now. Dwayne you were one of my close friends every since bingo over 20 years ago. I pray that God gives your family peace and strength to get through the loss of a real gentleman that I will hold dearly to my heart. Love you my friend.

• Julia Lee says:

I’m so sorry for his family, friends, co-workers. It is so sad. It’s such a special person who can work in law enforcement and know they are always in danger of one kind or another. May God be with all who know and love this person.

R.I.P. Deputy Hester, and condolences to his family and department.

• Michelle Johnson says:

To the family of Dwanye,

My deepest sympathy and prayers are with you. Personally knowing Dwanye as both a police officer and friend, he was such a down to earth,kind, and noble person. He was always the same, in and out of uniform, wherever you saw him at. I pray that God’s strength will carry you through and sustain you during this time.

Michelle

• Andrew says:

RIP brother. We’ll take it from here.

• Donna Taylor says:

We are gonna miss you so much. You were a great officer and friend to us at Bladen County Animal Control.

My sincere sympathy goes out to this family. I am so very sorry for your loss.

A TERRIBLE TRAGEDY. MY SYMPATHIES TO ALL.

• Richard Martin says:

I hope that Deputy Hester is at home with the Lord, and that our Father is showing his love to his family, co-workers and friends.

Thanks to Deputy Hester for being a Friend and Protector of Bladen County