ONLY ON 3: Woman chases off suspected robbers with Louisville Slugger

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Sat, 06/23/2012 - 3:50am
Updated: Mon, 06/25/2012 - 4:48pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington woman chases down suspected thieves with a bat after they tried to break into her house.

With her help, police arrested Sean Ray McMahan, 17, and Markyes Deshaun Jones, 18, who are now in jail after admitting to mugging a woman downtown Thursday night around 10 p.m.

The Wilmington Police Department says officers and New Hanover County Sheriff’s deputies, part of the Downtown Taskforce, responded to a robbery report at S. 3rd Street and Orange Street.

The victim had beaten and her purse was stolen by two young men, who ran away toward South 2nd Street down Orange Street.

The Downtown Taskforce and Wilmington Police set up a perimeter and called in K9 for a track.

After McMahan and Jones admittedly stole a woman’s purse and ran off, that’s when Taylor Alexander says they tried to break into her house on Ann St. through the back gate.

“I grabbed my bat, went up stairs and in a bad sense started screaming curse words, swatting and just went at it,” she says.

Alexander’s grandma, LaNelle Clontz, walked outside when she heard the police sirens.

“The cops are coming up to me and saying ‘your granddaughter is fearless. She chased them with a baseball bat and she delayed them from running away,” Clontz says.

Alexander says she wasn’t always that fearless. Six months ago, she was held up at gunpoint and froze. From that point on, she vowed to protect herself.

“I felt like an absolute wimp and I promised myself that if anything should happen again where it involves my life or somebody else’s I’m going to do everything I can to stop it,” Alexander says.

She admits the situation could have turned out much worse, but says her mind went blank.

“I’m crazy I guess. You know, it was my first initial reaction. I wasn’t thinking, ‘oh I’m gong to go get these guys,” she says.

“That took great courage in my opinion,” Clontz says. “I mean I am so proud of her, it’s just not believable.”
Two teenagers are in jail after admitting they mugged a woman and stole her purse last night.

McMahan and Jones were charged with common law robbery, attempted common law robbery, and hinder/delay/obstruct a law enforcement officer. They are each in jail under $100,000 bond.

• Sheryle says:

I just happened to be walking downtown that night and I saw Ms. Alexander in action. Let me tell you, that girl can run too! It is funny to read this story ’cause I had been telling people the next day about the pretty young girl with the baseball bat & barefeet (I think)chasing down thugs and flagging down a police car. The canines were cool too.

• fist up says:

This is just another example of the white cops going after repressed black mens trying to get things we can never get! They just arrested like 6 other black mens for what they white cops says was murder of that chinese food guy. I’m sure the real story is how they framed them boys. You never heared who kept the money! I know those crooked white cops keep framed drug dealers money all the time. And why ain’t they charging the white woman for assault with a weapon for hitting the black boys with a bat?! Cause she’s white….dats why! Noticed every day the news reports more black people getting arrested. When will the white cops get enough? Where is integrity?

• Cat says:

Otay, so first off, I’d like to say to Sean’s grandparetns, please don’t even bother with these other comments. You know your grandson better than any of them. As do I. He was my bestfriend. I’ve known him since he was 13. Believe it or not, he used to be a christian. He was a strong follower. Yes, it’s very wrong for what him and the other boy did. They deserve to be in jail. But beaten worse than already? I do not agree.Yes, that girl was so great to run them off. But you guys cannot talk like this about these boys. They made a mistake. You haven’t? “Let anyone among you who is without sin be the first to throw a sin at her.”

• DUFFY says:

sean ray macmahan is my best friend,and when i heard what happened my heart dropped,he shouldnt have done that hes a good kid that is very impressional by others.im sorry to the people that they hurt and i already know sean is i dont know much about the other guy,but you have to beleive sean is a good kid.if only someone will tell his grandparents,who he stays with due to his parents not much in his life. we all care about sean at new hanover high school and around other high schools,and we all know he did not mean to do any of this.recently i have seen a change in him,he has become sad the last couple weeks and expected something to go bad he was saying to all of his friends and i never knew it would be bcus of this kid in the picture next to him…
    WE ALL CARE ABOUT YOU.LIFE AINT OVER

• EDUCATED CITIZEN says:

FOR YOU TO EVEN THINK THAT THIS IS RASCISM MAKES YOU MORE IGNORANT THAN THEM.. THEY CLEARLY DID IT AND LIVED UP TO THE STEROTYPES THAT HAS BEEN PLACED ON THEM BY SOCIETY.. IT WOULDNT BE RASCIST IF THEY WOULD OF GOT AN EDUCATION AND BEEN SUCESSFUL NOW WOULD IT… BUT BECAUSE HE GOT CAUGHT TRYING TO ROB SOMEONE THE POLICE DEPARTMENT ARE RASCIST??? AND FOR YOU TO THINK THAT THOSE MEN WHO KILLED THE CHINESE DRIVER WERE FRAMED JUST GOES TO SHOW YOUR LACK OF EDUCATION AND IM SURE WE WILL SEE YOU IN THE NEWS SOON ENOUGH.

• Lol says:

Firstly id like to suggest reading something before you comment on it. Im more so concerned about your moral judgement since you see them mugging an innocent lady as fine, but the person CHASING them with a bat as wrong.

Your ethics are a disaster.

• Batter up! says:

I appreciate all the positive feedback ive been getting, and yes you are correct, I was completely barefoot and I have several pieces of glass, and only god knows what stuck in my foot.

Maybe the people throwing racism accusations around out will feel better that my feet hurt ;)

• PublicAvenger says:

You sound just like Jesse Jackson, Spike Lee, and Louis Farrahkan, put together.

• Joe whatever Geez !!! says:

Choose your friends more carefully, or you’ll end up just like them..

• asdfasdf says:

you know what the sad thing is? that all of you people saying negative stuff about these kids dont even know them. im realy close friends with sean and he is a good kid. he did something stupid but it was a mistake and i garentee it wont happen again. sean has helped so many people through volonteer work and mission trips. its so stupid how all of you will say this stuff without knowing the full situation

• tweety12 says:

All three, well educated Black men are they everyone role models,no.Educated strong Black men without a doubt.Now you can dissect this comment anyone you like.

• Joe whatever Geez !!! says:

You have serious mental problems that need to be addressed professionally .. You’re OBSESSED with race…

• Joe says:

Right, I’m sure he just broke into her house mistakenly and was turning his life around. Will that be the same story you keep using when it happens over.. and over.. and over.. and over?

• Golly Woggy says:

Sean
    Good kids don’t mug people and break into people’s homes. He is lucky it was a bat and not a .38 special.

• Charles Walters says:

Stay in school because from what you wrote above you need to learn how to spell. Your friend got caught climbing in the window of a house that was not his. This makes him a criminal short and sweet. The home owner and who ever else who lives in that house would have been within their rights to put a bullet in his pathetic head killing him dead. He and his friend were lucky they only caught the business end of a baseball bat. All his so called good work does not mean a damn thing to the courts or the people he victimized. I do not know if he has a criminal past, but if so that will count against him when they through his a$$ in jail. His crime his fault now it will be him in a cage where he belongs.

• Wonderbread says:

“I know those crooked white cops keep framed drug dealers money all the time.”
    I’m sure you know all about it. Yeah, there’s nothing worse than a dangerous drug dealer getting framed by the police. What a travesty. lol!

“…black mens trying to get things we can never get!”
    That’s called stealing. There are things I will never get, so I have to go without them or work harder and save. Since you don’t mind trivial things like breaking and entering, you should put a sign out in front of your residence inviting “black mens” (sic) to invade your home and take whatever they don’t have.

OK, so drug dealers and thieves are A-OK, but a white lady defending her property and chasing off 2 home invaders with a bat is a menace to society. You could at least give the woman a little street credit and some props for not taking any sh*t from the future felons of America.

• bewilderbeast says:

A good kid? The full situation? You “garentee” [sic] it won’t happen again?

Bull. The kid and his punk buddy are thugs. And you are an idiot, and possibly a thug yourself.

• Michael says:

Let me guess here. They were ‘goot boiz” and “honor stoodents” who “dint do nuffins” and are “aspiring rappers” who plan on becoming astronauts one day.

Congrats to the lady who helped cage them and could some kind soul buy her a 12gauge and practice time at the shooting range so she doesn’t have to hurt her toes on glass next time.

• JeannieD says:

Whenever they get in trouble, the cries of racism ensue in order to deflect the attention from their criminal activity. I’m thinking the female with the baseball bat wasn’t white, now what?

• Ignorance surrounds me~ says:

I hate to break it to you child, but “good people” as you so claim don’t show off by MUGGING AND BEATING A INNOCENT WOMAN!

They drink a 5 hour energy before their football match and wink at their friend in the crowed before they kick the field goal.

Im more so enjoying the lack of educated posts being made in respect of Sean. Keep them coming, I have today off ;)

You go girl!

• Batter up! says:

Not 18 haha, though this recognition was both unsuspected to the fullest, and absolutely flattering I am indeed, 20!

Stay safe everyone!

• Guest 2012622 says:

They need to take these two little idiots and tie them up in a room and let Miss Alexander and the mugging victim spend a couple hours in there with some baseball bats. The fact that a woman cannot walk down the sidewalk without being beaten and robbed and that an girl cannot feel safe in her home speaks volumes that the measures in place to control little pukes like these two are not working. They have no fear of punishment. A few months in jail (if that) means playing basketball and watching tv, thanks to all of the do gooders in this country who are more interested in protecting trash like this than they are in protecting decent hard working people.

• PublicAvenger says:

Beautiful girl. Great job. It’s always good to see the good folks get a good lick in, every once in a while. The bad side of this story is that both these monsters will both be back out in less then a month.

Too bad she didn’t score a home run against their skulls with her “Slugger”. Maybe next time it will be a .44 Magnum instead of a ball bat. Considering the goings-on in the “hood” the past few days, as well as close to it, sounds like some “thug-thinning” needs to be done. Good job, Taylor!

• tiredofliberals says:

need to be careful what you say about these two fine examples out of “da-hood”….we certainly would not want to hurt their feelings..
    they will be out on the streets within the week….sick and tired of
    these type of POS’s getting away with these type of crimes because
    some liberal can get a vote or make money off of them…

• Guestin says:

This is why you should support your second amendment so they can only do it once.

• Guest 101 says:

A good shotgun woul cut down on all that “chasing”. Too bad they weren’t removed from the gene pool??

Oh well…maybe next time?

Youre making assumptions about people you don’t know? Sean has friends all over. And we’re all fonna stand up for him. And it’s funny you have to use a misspelling of a word against someone. It’s pathetic haha. And Sean a “thug”? Hahaha you make me laugh. I know him well and I know it’s not the real him. He was probably showi off for a friend. Good people make bad mistakes all the time.

I use to not worry if i left my gun at the house when I went out at night. I will never leave without it again. This is getting crazy.

• Yaspar says:

I am dismayed, but not surprised, given the race of the commenters, by the remarks that “dey jus’ made a mistake, we all make mistakes, an’ dey was good keyids, an was gittin’ dey lifes turned around and sheeyit.” Robbery is not a “mistake.” It’s a CRIME.
    (I love your screen name, Batter Up!)

• Yaspar says:

Not too many years ago the penalty for robbery on the King’s Highway was a long drop and a sudden stop, if you know what I mean. That would be for a anything, ANYTHING taken by force. A wise law, which we should revive.

• Batter up! says:

Is reasonable to you?
    I fully agree that an exaction may not be the way,
    but who stops after mugging/robbing someone and getting away with it?
    Its a gateway crime, and those who feel comfortable mugging and beating a FEMALE, yet alone a human period, deserve a strong book to be thrown at them by a judge!

• The Missing Link says:

Of course that would not be a suitable punishment. The punishment should be commensurate with the crime. Cutting off their right hands at the wrist would be the way to go here. That’s the way it’s done in the Islamic world. Allahu Akbar muhfukka !!

Exactly………before the kill somebody, which they surely will do sooner or later. Nothing but useless, good-for-nothing trash.

• Toby B. Goode says:

Oh dear! How could anyone just assume these two innocent young angels were burglars? They probably just stopped by to get directions to their math tournament! Can’t you see the dedication to excellence and the problem-solving skills in those focused, analytical eyes? A couple of right geniuses they are, these two. Why, I’ll bet one million (Zimbabwe) dollars they have an IQ (combined) of over 120. Of course, they did admit to the mugging, but I’m sure they’ve never been troublemakers before that and it’ll probably never happen again. I mean, how often do you hear of black males assaulting and robbing people? Almost never, right? They’ll probably be “good” boys before long and we’ll get to hear about how they’re “just turning their lives around.”

• Sam says:

It’s sad but what u expect the Jones boy mother is a criminal herself what you expect he comes from a home of abuse and no love but I’m not saying its an accuse

• en says:

People are always asking parents, “Do you know where your child is tonight?” With young people growing up doing many of the things they are doing today, I’m more inclined to ask, “Do you know where the parents of these two boys are?”

• John A. Difloure says:

• Monkey Junction says:

Execution for purse snatching? You sound like a real reasonable person.

• Sammy says:

John A. Difloure says What he-men are these guys who mug women. Let me know when you need volunteers for a firing squad.

Yes we do and it is very brave of you to offer to be standing down there while we take our target practice.

• Guest X says:

How long before they decide that beating takes to long and just decides its easier for them to just shoot their next victim.Make the punishment fit.They beat someones mother,daughter,or sister.We should take are que from china and after they do the standard punishment the system hands down they should be caned.A reminder they will never forget.

• Guest 4545 says:

Lighten up on these two they’re working their way up to killing Chinese guys delivering food in the “hood”. Everybody has got to start somewhere, you just can’t go out and kill somebody without mugging a woman and snatching her purse first. Give’em a break!!

• Das Weibstück says:

The city wants to draw more tourists downtown. What a shame that tourists are unaware of the dangers even in the “nice” parts. Like leading lambs to slaughter. We know the areas to avoid but the thugs aren’t staying in those areas any more. Any town where the public housing/low class housing is “downtown” has this issue, when will they learn?

• Guestginger says:

These two will be in the mugshot gallery for murder before too long…just like the 4 that are there today!

• GuestLula Jones says:

you donot judge a book by the cover the jones boy mother is not a criminal she have did the best she new raising her kids and really markeyes Jones has problems donot know what he is doing at times he is a kid that needs to be watched at all times he is really a good person but has no control over what he does his mother trys to help him takes him to Dr.he is 18 but really is like a 7 or 8 yr old his mother has had quite a bit to deal with I have kept markeyes I know what it is like it was to much I had to send him home to his mother. now I tell myself if I had kept him maybe it would not had happen. Iam sorry for what he did and he is to Iam sure. but donot judge his mom she try. I am Markeyes grandmother Iknow he really needs help now and Iam happy no one got hurt.and his mom is very sad it happened .

• M291 says:

Unfortunately these men have made their decisions, and we, and they must live with it. Just like the young men who, in coldblooded, gun down the delivery driver, no amount of prevention will help their victims once the crime is committed; but we have an opportunity to set the conditions so that this thing is increasingly rare. We have a choice, invest in prevention, or invest in incarceration and medical care.

Our taxes have remained low (http://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/city_manager/budget_fast_facts/how_do_we_compare.aspx), maybe it’s time we invest a bit more into our schools and a little less (eventually) into our jail.

• Stan says:

These punks, and their ilk, have been given preferential treatment in the way of education and opportunity FOR DECADES. Affirmative action, specialized curriculums, government and private grants and scholarships, preferential placement, etc. It has done nothing but enforce the entitlement mindset. They know wrong from right, and have chosen to fall on the side of wrong. No one pushed them there. Conditioning by reward has failed, and it’s time to start conditioning by punishment. By the way, we can slow the investment in jail by actually punishing them with hard labor, which pays for itself.

• ernest says:

MYGRAND SON WAS NOT THIS WAY ALLTHE TIME ,ITRY GAVE HEMTHING TO DOMOUST TO MUCH TIME TO HISELF,I TRYTO GET HEM THING TODO ,I GAVE HEM THING BUT TIME TO HIS SELF,NOW HE IS IN TROUBLE,ABOUT TO LOSE MY HOME,NOT WORRED GOD HAVE ME &NANNIE IN HIS HANDS!HE FOR GIVE US ALL!!! HAPPY ANDERVISER

Sean ray Mcmahan is the best friend anyone could ask for. All you people who have nothing to say other than talking crap should be quiet. You dont know him. This is NOT like him. No, I’m not black. You’re making wrong assumptions. He’s my best friend and I love hi with all my heart. You saying negative things is like beating a dead horse and it shows that you’re very ignorant and you saying those things show you are no better. He’d most definitely never kill anyone so stop saying he or his friend (idk him) will. He has a great heart. He’s helped me through everything that’s ever happened. He’s the only one who ever has. Yes, he deserves to go to jail for what he did. It is very wrong and I’m beyog mad at him for it. But I won’t sit here and read all this crap and not take a stand for him.