Hammerheads win; Sharks lose

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Sun, 07/01/2012 - 2:04am
Updated: Mon, 07/02/2012 - 2:05pm

WILMINGTON,NC (Hammerheads news release) — The Wilmington Hammerheads took the field in impressive fashion Saturday night against the Los Angeles Blues as both teams battled for a third place ranking in the league. It was an exciting match at Legion Stadium that ended with Wilmington topping Los Angeles 4-2 and both teams leaving a lot of emotional intensity on the field.

With his first game back in the starting lineup, BryceTaylor didn’t waste time to prove it was where he deserved to be. As the Hammerheads scored 2 goals within the first 5 minutes of play, Taylor made sure he was a part of both. With just two minutes on the clock, Bryce Taylor comes streaking down the right side of the field in a 3-on-2 breakaway against the Blues defense. Taylor jukes, throwing off his opponent and places the ball nicely into the back of the net to give the Hammerheads a very early lead.

Three minutes later, Taylor shows his skill once again to help put another tally on the board for the Hammerheads. Taylor sends a through ball to the center of the box where Cory Hertzog converts and makes it a 2-0 game, really upping the pressure on the Blues offense to come back from such an early deficit.

The Blues came out of the locker room fired up and carrying a lot of intensity to begin the second half. Blues’ Bryan Burke cut the lead to one as he sent the ball soaring past the Hammerhead’s goalie in the 60th minute of play. At this point, tension began to escalate between the teams, almost erupting into a fight and sending one of LA’s forwards walking off the field with a red card.

With emotions high, the duo of Bryce Taylor and Corey Hertzog secured the lead for the Hammerheads and struck once again to lengthen the gap. Hertzog received a ball crossed by Taylor to the far post and used his agility to send a diving header to the back of the net. The goal marked thelast of the game and the Hammerheads head into their next match with a strong hold on third place.

Wilmington will be back in action next Saturday, July 7 at 7:30 p.m at Legion Stadium. They will face off against the Richmond Kickers for the third time this season. For more information, visit www.wilmingtonhammerheads.com.

Box Score First Half Second Half Final

Wilmington 3 1 4

Los Angeles 1 1 2

Scoring Summary

Bryce Taylor (Hammerheads), 3rd minute.

Corey Hertzog (Hammerheads), 5th minute.

Bright Dike (Blues), 25th minute.

Andriy Budnyy (Hammerheads), 31st minute.

Bryan Burke (Blues), 60th minute.

Corey Hertzog (Hammerheads), 73rd minute.


Hammerheads: GK Alexander Horwath, Tom Parratt, Dylan Riley, Bryce Taylor, Gareth Evans, Mark Briggs , Yahaya Musa, Paul Nicholson, TroyCole, Corey Hertzog, Andriy Budnyy

Blues: GK Amir Abedzadeh, Cito Sunytyung, Cory Miller, EJ Jatta, Erlys Garcia, Irving Garcia, Allen Russell, Carlos Borja, Brian Farber, Bright Dike, Matt Fondy

Shots Saves Fouls Corners

Hammerheads: 12 2 6 3

Blues: 8 3 5 5


64th minute: Grandel (Blues)

88th minute: Miller (Blues)

90th minute: Perry (Hammerheads)

Referee: David McPhun

Assistant Referees: Michael Rhinehart, Tyler McCauley

Fourth Official: Erick Varone

Attendance: 5146

Weather: Sunny and hot

Man of the Match: Bryce Taylor

WILSON,NC (Sharks release) — After two straight victories to close the first half of the Coastal Plain League season, the Wilmington Sharks (16-12, 0-1) couldn’t keep the wins rolling into the second half as they fell to the Wilson Tobs (10-19, 1-0) by a final score of 4-3 at Fleming Stadium.

Wilson scored the first two runs of the game, with one each in the first and third innings. The opener came on a throwing error, allowing a runner to cross home all the way from first base. The second came after a walk, a single and another walk started out the third.

In the fifth inning, the Sharks got both runs back to tie the game at 2-2. Scott Coleman and Connor Mitchell started things with two straight singles. Lloyd Enzor was credited with an RBI on a groundout to follow the base knocks, then three batters later Brad Shaban tied the game with a hit to right field.

Aaron Preston started the sixth with a hit, then moved over to second and third a sacrifice bunt by Andrew Valencia and a groundout by Coleman, with Mitchell then cleaning him up on his second single of the night.

The Tobs tied it up again at three runs each with a screaming double down the left field line bringing Zach Houchins across the plate. Once again in the seventh, Wilson pushed across a run to take their final 4-3 advantage.

Wes Hatley took his first loss of the season, allowing one earned run on two hits with a strikeout while recording five outs.

The Sharks finish the weekend in Columbia on Sunday, then return to Buck Hardee Field on Monday against Fayetteville. For more on the Sharks, visit wilmingtonsharks.com, find Sharky Sharks on Facebook and follow @ILMSharks on Twitter.

Leave a Reply