City Council gets peek at Convention Center hotel

Tags: , , , , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 07/09/2012 - 6:34pm
Updated: Mon, 07/09/2012 - 6:35pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Embassy Suites is on track to come to the Port City.

Today Wilmington City Council got a look at the latest rendering of the hotel that will be attached to downtown’s Convention Center.

The hotel will house 176 rooms for guests and be complete with a restaurant, bar, terrace and ballroom.

“We’re excited,” Mayor Bill Saffo said. “Obviously this has been a long process, and they’ve worked very hard on trying to fit a very nice hotel on a small lot.”

The hotel is expected to be done in 2014.

• Vog46 says:

Yeah after all these attempts I think I’ll hold my enthusiasm until they break ground.
    The hotel stands a better chance at turning a profit as opposed to the convention center. Tourists not affiliated with an event might want to stay at a down town place as opposed to the higher priced beach hotels.

Of course Embassy is still trying to arrange financing which is a crap shoot in today’s economy. This is why I will keep my enthusiasm in check for now.

Best Regards
    Vog

• ChefnSurf says:

That’s what … rendering number 2,402,036?

Every time they see another drawing, council members run around like fools proclaiming “The hotel is coming! The hotel is coming!”

2014 is a long way off in this never-ending hotel saga. A hotel, by the way, designated to service a convention center that’ll never turn a profit.

• 1981duke says:

Why would it be anywhere else,hotels,convention center and stadium probably makes too much sense for you.
    Let it happen,Downtown has never looked better.

• Guest Reply says:

They could also use the ball field as a KOA campground and solve the hotel issue…off season of course. On season…the RV’s would have to form a line around the outer perimeter of the field and have “NO” glass windows in case of a Home Run ball!!
    Pipe Dreams…they come and then they are gone (Over the fence) :-(

• Vog46 says:

How much should the city spend on the stadium?

I hope council is paying attention
    $0 110 votes or 80%

OOOOooops
    Seems as though baseball supporters have a problem.
    Not many want the city to pay anything for it
    Not $20M
    Not $30M
    Not $42M
    Nothing. Zero Zilch Nada

Read the poll yourself……..
    Got it?
    Good.

Best Regards
    Vog

• Guest of the cousin to air quotes says:

Why should they have “NO” glass windows? Why can’t they just have no glass windows? Do the caps and qt marks add something that I’m missing?

• Guest Reply says:

Sorry…I meant to write “Know” glass windows. How’s that?

• ChefnSurf says:

… if it never even gets built.

• Vog46 says:

And who and when was it determined the stadium would be down town?

Tell you what – I’ll give my total approval to the stadium if it costs the taxpayers as much as the hotel did to develop. How’s that?

Vog

• 1981duke says:

Neighbor to the Stadium,welcome!