10 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Charles Warren is no longer a Republican.

The embattled Brunswick County Commissioner says he switched his party affiliation last month to Democrat, but it was not recorded until yesterday after the completion of run-offs in North Carolina primary elections. Warren lost the Republican primary race to retain his seat in May.

“I did not receive any support from the Republican Party and Republican leaders at the time I was going through all of those issues with Pat Sykes, Ginny Quaglia and the county commission,” Warren said explaining his decision to the leave the GOP. “I’m the only commissioner in North Carolina where the commission put in policies to force me from the Social Services board.”

The Brunswick County Commission has censured Warren and voted late last year to remove him from the Social Services Board, where Warren was chair, after an incident in which he kicked fellow member Sykes and a newspaper reporter out of a meeting. Sykes was the top vote getter in the primary race for Warren’s seat.

The Brunswick County Republican Party does not agree with Warren’s criticism.

“He, in my tenure as chair, which is 3.5 years, he’s only been to two meetings,” county GOP chair George Bell said. “Support is a two-way street in my book.”

Warren says he does not have any plans to run for office right now, but he says he doesn’t know what the future holds.

Comment on this Story

10 Comments on "Charles Warren leaves GOP for Democratic Party"

2015 years 10 months ago

2015 years 10 months ago

Charles Warren, do yourself a favor. Go to a mirrow and look at yourself. You, are the racist, not the people that you called racist.

Guest 10101
2015 years 10 months ago

First he acted like a power drunk, arrogant fool.

Then he tried to claim that everyone opposed to him was a racist.

Now after getting his butt whipped in the primary he claims he’s leaving the GOP.

The headline “Charles Warren leaves GOP for Democratic Party”
got it backwards. The real header is “GOP leaves Charles Warren to Democratic Party.”

The Democratic Party would do itself a big favor by not embracing him.

Guest 09372
2015 years 10 months ago

His political successes have all come from the Republican Party. He should stay with them.

2015 years 10 months ago

Charles Warren I am quite certain the Democratic party would have been just fine had you not joined. Why would the Republican party had supported you? I’m quite certain that all the citizens in Brunswick County from both parties would have been just as happy if you just moved out of the county period. You are a clown if I’ve ever seen one. I have a good idea, why don’t you join the circus. Cleaning up elephant s*** would be a good fit for you because that’s what you are full of.. Can’t wait till we see someone else in the seat you occupy!!!!

2015 years 10 months ago

he’s yours now. Great news for Republicans.

But watch out. If he does not get his way, the race card will be thrown out. And then, we all know what the future will hold.

2015 years 10 months ago

Come on SurfCityTom! I am a very oustanding person in my neighborhood. Call me anything you like but please don’t wish he will join my party. LOL I don’t think this man should be either one. He played the race card and now he blames it on his party. Like the saying goes (YOU CAN FIX A DUMB &** BUT YOU CANT FIX STUPID) Thats what Charlie is.

2015 years 10 months ago

Republicans were stupid enough to elect them with their straight ticket voting. Democrats won’t make that mistake.

2015 years 10 months ago

OH! Time for round two. What is this man thinking? Please Charley don,t waste our moneny and your useless time. You have been VOTED out and you blame it on your party. What happened to the race thing. Please don’t come in my party I happen to be a democrat. Go on doing what you do best and that is being a DUMB $**

2015 years 10 months ago

“I did not receive any support from the Republican Party ….”

Because you act like a fool.