Protestors hit the streets of downtown Wilmington

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Sun, 07/29/2012 - 9:48pm
Updated: Mon, 07/30/2012 - 3:09pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY)– More than 50 people marched through downtown Wilmington today protesting what they call a blurring line between the separation of church and state.

The fallout from the Amendment One decision in North Carolina is still having its effects throughout the state.

“We are advocating change of the preamble, repealing of Amendment One, and essentially any other civil rights related issue that is relevant to separation of church and state,” said Sam West, the protest organizer.

Many people downtown found the group’s message and signs offensive but that did not stop them from marching on.

“It’s pretty disturbing how they have a sign saying ‘God hates you’ because I’m religious,” said spectator Quentin Asche. “I’m a Christian and I don’t think that God hates me.”

For some of the protesters the main goal was to show their disappointment with the Amendment One vote. For others they just simply wanted to share that not everyone has religious views.

“I mean this is a pretty conservative area where churches have a lot of power. I think that a group of people like this, coming out on a Sunday in the late summer, is a very powerful statement,” said protester Ed Tilley.

The protest originally started with a Craigslist ad. Organizers say depending on the interest following this event they may eventually do another march.

Almost sounds like you could be a bigot.

Fruitloops

• Guest 10101 says:

– “America is betraying and violating our separation of state from church,” said protester Larry Center.” [Larry, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you have that one backwards. Don’t worry, you’re not alone]

— “We are advocating change of the preamble, repealing of Amendment One” [Advocate all you want. That’s your prerogative in a Democracy. That’s the same prerogative the majority of voters chose to exercise when they voted FOR Amendment One]

“essentially any other civil rights related issue that is relevant to separation of church and state,” said Sam West, the protest organizer.” [What Sam means is that people who go to church shouldn’t have a right to vote on social issues based on their opinions just like he does. Uh Sam, not going to happen. EVERYONE HAS A RIGHT TO VOTE. That’s called democracy.]

— “It’s pretty disturbing how they have a sign saying ‘God hates you’ because I’m religious,” said spectator Quentin Asche” [Hey Quentin, your getting all disturbed for nothing. Why would you let someone WHO DOESN’T BELIEVE IN GOD tell you what God thinks concerning you. When you think about it, that’s kind of silly.]

— “For others they just simply wanted to share that not everyone has religious views.” [Silly little protester; that IS a view on religion.]

— “I think that a group of people like this, coming out on a Sunday in the late summer, is a very powerful statement,” said protester Ed Tilley. [Gee Ed; hate to bust your bubble but probably not. A powerful statement would be something like THE MAJORITY OF VOTERS VOTING IN FAVOR OF AMENDMENT ONE]

— “Organizers say depending on the interest following this event they may eventually do another march” [I’m sure the majority of voters support your right to an orderly protest whenever you feel so inclined. Of course, in the interest of fairness, we do expect you to respect the rights of the majority of voters to vote as THEY see fit to vote, not as YOU think they should have voted]

The church didn’t vote. The people did. And the people have spoken.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Leave. No really, leave. Simple right?

I was spending time with my family. I’m sure you more than filled in for me.

Like the passing of the ammendment was a surprise to anyone…North Carolina had to have the federal government force them to begin treating African-Americans as more than sub-humans…this state, and region, has a history of bigotry and hatred towards anyone that doesn’t agree to the backward thinking lifestyle they choose to live. Doesn’t matter if you are from a northern state, are a different color of skin, your first language is not English(lets be real…i have heard many foreigners speak English better than many living in the southeast), or live a lifestyle not in line with the fairy tales in the oh-holiest of books. Until the government determines that the ammendment is unconstitutional, because it infringes on individuals rights to live their lives how they want to(as it doesn’t affect others lives, just their OPINIONS), this state and its close-minded inhabitants will continue to spew hatred and attempt to take all of us back to Mayberry…ohhh boy!

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…for going too far, I have to say that these people are crackpots who have no comprehension of the simple fact that a voter has every right to vote based upon his religious beliefs.

The churches didn’t vote – the citizens of North Carolina did. I didn’t like the results, they came as no surprise, but I am not so ignorant as to think people voting their conscience in any way chips away at the separation of church and state.

Indeed, my money says that people voting their conscience, rather than some liberal agenda checklist, is what TRULY offends these people.

…and you will accurately decribe your demeanor. What a freakazoid! You may need to revisit your meds!

• GuestMan. says:

being a bigot is wrong. If you were a bigot and then had an epiphany then you would not be a bigot anymore. That is probably easy enough for even you to understand.

• GuestMan. says:

Where were you anyway? I think they missed you.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Why did people no raise hell at Obama just a few months ago?????????? No answer right? Can’t figure it out can you? Let me help you out with it. You’re a hypocrite. The man does not believe in gay marriage. It’s his right. Live with it.

• GuestMan. says:

makes no sense whatsoever. I love it when you call me names. Do it again. Please.

• YourGodismySatan says:

…just like a scared child, all you can do is call me names? Your fear of my ability to dismantle your weak religious sect is very clear. =] Keep doubting.

Good for you.

• GuestMan. says:

Actually, I couldn’t make it. I was with a bunch of tea baggers burning books about evolution.

Was some nut banging on a drum or an empty 5 gallon bucket.

• Guesticles says:

It doesn’t expressly say it, but:
    The phrase “separation of church and state” is derived from a letter written by President Thomas Jefferson in 1802 to Baptists from Danbury, Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper soon thereafter. In that letter, referencing the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, Jefferson writes:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”, thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.[19]
    ———————————————–
    So, according to one of the founding fathers of America, his interpretation of the first amendment, where it states “make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof”, means that the government will not force religion on anyone. Everyone has the right to believe in or not to believe in whatever God they want to. Places like churches should not be tax exempt corporations. Places like public schools should not be places to hold prayers nor Bible readings.

You should read the wiki, it’s pretty interesting.

• GuestReality says:

If you want to find the truth in anything, you need to base your beliefs on more than ONE website.

The statement about a wall of separation between church and state was made in a letter on January 1, 1802, by Thomas Jefferson to a church (the Danbury Baptist Association of Connecticut). The congregation heard a widespread rumor that the Congregationalists, another denomination, were to become the national religion. This was very alarming to people who knew about religious persecution in England by the state established church. Jefferson made it clear in his letter to the Danbury Congregation that the separation was to be that government would not establish a NATIONAL religion or dictate to men how to worship God. Jefferson’s letter from which the phrase “separation of church and state” was written was to affirm first amendment rights.

The “wall” was understood as one-directional; its purpose was to protect the church from the state. The people did not want freedom FROM religion, but freedom OF religion.

There is no separation of church and state in the Constitution so how can you blur a line that does not exist?

show me where you see “separation of church and state” in your rights…..

• Grand Ole Party says:

Why is it that Don Cathy is being called a bigot for holding the same view of marriage that Barack Obama himself held until just a couple of months ago?

I don’t remember people calling the President a bigot back then. Why all of the sudden is this such an evil point of view?

• YourGodismySatan says:

…the only truth that really matters at this point is that Humanism has existed ever since humans have, and will continue to exist so long as we do. Christianity will soon go the way of Zorastorism, and the other hundreds of religions that it mimics. (Yes, Christianity is nothing more than an amalgamation of older religions.) The tenants of humanism require that we hold human happiness over all…if there is some mystic guiding spirit, and it can’t get in line with that, I’ll remain defiant and happy.

• Grand Ole Party says:

The way I see it the loonies on the left are always spewing their hatred. No crosses atop the chapels, no public prayer, no CHRISTmas, no ten commandments in the court room, etc. etc. I tell ya what…When the left becomes a bit more tolerant, maybe we on the right will give it a shot. Until then you can hang it up, we are sick of giving in to the liberal few.

• GuestReality says:

Then you better stay away from the Mall, the movie theater, all restaurants, and a zillion other places because hypocrits go there too. It sounds more like you were just tired of going to church every Sunday and needed to find a good excuse so you could justify it to yourself and others. Nice try.

Too many “Christians” spew their hate, bigotry and prejudice all in the name of God, stating the Bible says so. They have lost credibility with me and have made me leave the Church. I cannot and will not support the hypocrisy and hate filled words that permeate that group. I still love my God but cannot worship among these people any more. Sad.

• GuestMan. says:

I think we should be less tolerant of a small but vocal minority of tea-bagging freaks that want to force feed the American the hate for anything that they don’t believe in.

• Grand Ole Party says:

Boy you fear the tea party something awful don’t you? Guess what??? They hate you just as much as you hate them. So really why is it okay for you to be intolerant and not them? Works both ways. You are just an ignorant hypocrite and fail to see it.

• GuestMan. says:

I don’t hate anybody. I just don’t have any respect for them. I’ll leave the hating to you. Call me names again. You know I love it.

You’re ignorant if you think social movements have no effect on laws. Ultimately, same-sex couples will win the right to marry, just as interracial couples had to do. Protests such as these show one small step toward that day.

• Guesttenheimer says:

Everybody has to have their forum, speak their load, make themselves known. It’s our right as Americans. It’s also our right as Americans to vote in what we want and vote out what we DON’T want. It is our right as Americans to remember the foundation of our country and the faith of those people that were here in the beginning as leaders and citizens and how we all believed in a creator of this wonderful world we live in.
    With that said, all of the naysayers, complainers and whiners that don’t get their way due to a majority vote will have the opportunity to protest, but it is unlikely there will be any impact and those protests will be forgotten as quickly as they were so rudely pushed into the faces of others. Organization through “Craigslist” is no less than phenomenal! I mean really? What more of extravagant venue could’ve been chosen to get the “word” out. What an expenditure of money and effort to organize. Was this ad in CL posted under men looking for men, women looking for women, gay, bi, queer, trans-whatever or other associated categories? Inquiring minds just need to know…

I personally think it is time for the churches to mind their own business and let everyone decide what is right for them. I want no part of organized religion.

• Erlkoenig says:

I guess elections have consequences. Looks like there are still plenty of good people who don’t want trade their principals for the shallow praise of Hollywood cream-puffs.

• Truthseeker says:

NC had the vote. The people, the majority of people soundly stated we want Amendment One and we got it. You losers lost and your soul with it which was your decision. Now live with it!

• mom of a pom says:

They have the right to voice their opinion whether I agree with them or not; however, the person with the sign that says God hates you needs to read the bible. God does not hate anyone! The bible makes it very clear that God hates sin not the sinner.

• Government Mule says:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. “The term “separation of state from church” is used to keep the state out of the church’s business, not to keep the church out of the state’s business. Now that’s good to know. BTW, I advocate moving you all to the Moon and you could ah, write a new preamble and, well, work on essentially any other civil rights related issues that blah, blah blahbbity, etc. once you are there.

There is no separation of church and state in the Constitution. However, the Constitutions states that the federal government cannot interfere with my free exercise of religion. When I went to the polls on May 8, I did what everyone else did and that is to vote according to my conscience. And my conscience dictates that I cannot condone a behavior that God has condemned. No civil rights are being violated. Every man has the same right to marry as every other man and every woman has the same right to marry as every other woman. You cannot really expect the same voters that voted for the amendment, to vote to repeal it.

• GuestReality says: