Supporters flock to Chick-fil-A restaurants

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 08/01/2012 - 9:23pm
Updated: Thu, 08/02/2012 - 3:21pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — If it took longer to get your chicken sandwich today, you’re not alone.

Recent comments against gay marriage by the president of Chick-Fil-A ruffled some feathers. But today, the restaurant chain saw huge business.

For weeks a dark cloud has hung over Chick-Fil-A after their president said he was guilty as charged for backing the biblical definition of a family

Neither that statement nor the early morning rain could stop many in the Port City from lining up to show their support for Chick-Fil-A.

“Mr. Cathy spoke his personal opinion, and he has a right to do that, and we stand behind his right to do it, and we do agree with him that we support traditional marriage,” customer Lynn Bullock said as he and his wife visited the Chick-Fil-A in Monkey Junction. “We have been married for 46 years.”

“It just goes to show how people in America are supporting what they are doing,” customer R.C. Bottles said.

Some even used the event proclaimed as Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day by former presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee as an opportunity to teach their beliefs of right and wrong.

“We had a discussion on the way out here on why we were coming to Chick-Fil-A, and it was that the man Dan Cathy… supports Christian values, and one way we can support him is with our dollar,” said Kristine Thompson, who dined at Chick-Fil-A with her children.

But members of Wilmington’s gay community say all of this clucking is wrong.

“For any one from the LGBT community, it would be hard for us to go out and spend money with a corporation is donating that money to organizations that promote hate,” Wilmington Pride’s Ryan Burris said.

Opponents of Chick-Fil-A’s stance on gay marriage have planned protests at restaurants across the country later this week, including Kiss-Ins at the restaurants.

• GuestReality says:

You know, you really shouldn’t quote something you know nothing about.

Leviticus is formally known as “Torat Kohanim”, or “Instructions for the Priests”. Leviticus was a rule book for the proper worship of the God of Israel by His people (the Hebrews). It wasn’t meant for the Gentiles (non-Hebrews/unbelievers).

In Leviticus 19:19, God commanded His people (the Hebrews) not to be “unequally yoked” (or mingle) with unbelievers. It wasn’t about bi-racial marriage or same sex relationships; it was about Hebrews not associating themselves with unbelievers.

• portcity rider says:

Dan Cathy has a right to his own opinion regardless how anyone of us feel.The bottom line at the end of the day we have to look at our own short falls.In the mean time Chick-Fil-A profits have hit the roof.They have been sucessful for awhile,but now!!!!!!!

• Shallotte says:

We SO need a Chick-Fil-A in Shallotte!!!

• GuestMan. says:

Unless you are Jewish, the Old Testament means no more to you than the Koran. If you are Christian, you follow the New Testament. No place in the New Testament does Jesus specifically condemn homosexuality, so if you have been baptized, shut up about it and learn to get along with all kinds of people. Faith, Love and Charity, people!

What I can’t get over is how off track and stupid this whole thing got in the first place. The Chick Fil A CEO position has been consistent as long as Chick Fil A has been around. Further no one has called for “hate” against gay people. Not one time have I ever heard Truett Cathy call for gay people to be ridiculed, persecuted or otherwise unwelcome at his restaurants or in his employ. Not believing in gay marriage is not “hate” any more than wanting nativities removed from public buildings or prayer out of school is “hate” speech against Christians. Calling Christian people and business names like “bigot” or screaming about intolerance is no different than having people call gay people “perverts” or “queer”. We have a right to have differences in opinion in this country. I’m certain Chick Fil A has plenty of gay employees and I’ll even bet a few gay franchise owners. Meanwhile where are the boycotts against companies like WalMart, Sams Club, Urban Outfitters (who sold anti Prop 8 tshirts then used their profits to fund organizations working to get it passed), InNOut Burger, Forever21, etc who have given money to the same causes and their leadership has expressed the same opinions? Heck, Barack Obama was against gay marriage until about 3 months ago. Were you picketing the White House too?! Was he hateful and now isn’t? Exxon took OUT the clause in their employee policy that protected people from being discriminated against based on sexual preference and despite several attempts by shareholders to put it back in over the years, the leadership has refused. The CEO of Marriott hotels personally gave $300K last year to “pray the gay away” organizations. EHarmony does not allow homosexual matches. They have a sister site specifically for it that was created when there was some uproar about it but they certainly don’t advertise it in the mainstream. I guess it’s ok to hide gay people in the back of the bus as long as you don’t speak about gay marriage in a spiritual magazine? Where are the boycotts?!

Educate yourself before you go screaming about bigotry and “hate sandwiches”. Stop being stooges of a media created hubbub. Ask yourself that if all of this has been going on all of this time, why this company and why now? I know plenty of people who went to Chick Fil A yesterday not because they agree with them but because in this country you have a RIGHT to speak your opinion and calling for govt intervention for having an opinion (such as keeping them from opening new stores, etc) is no different than the other side asking for govt intervention and gay marriage to be banned.It’s comical because you can go ahead and stop them from opening in your city and they will just open somewhere else and pay tax revenues and payroll somewhere that understands what the constitution is about. Ooh, please don’t throw them in that briar patch! :rolls eyes:

So don’t go there anymore if you don’t agree with their politics but have the courage to be consistent and stop going to Walmart, Exxon, etc and at least be consistent. The other side will do the same thing. That’s one of the last few great things about America. We all have a right to our opinion and other private citizens have the right to vote with their almighty dollars.

• Simon S says:

you certainly proved his point! You must be a very bitter ugly person to attack a man with the hope of his demise. You would have been better off saying nothing as all you accomplished was the exposure of your personal hatred for those who disagree with your lame point of view.

Homosexuals have the same rights as heterosexuals, to marry someone of the opposite sex. Homosexuals don’t want equal rights, they want special rights. And for your information, not everyone that voted for the marriage amendment are Christians. There are plenty of atheists that believe that homosexuality is unnatural and a perversion. As a Christian, I have the same right as everyone else to go into the booth and vote according to my conscience and my conscience dictates that I cannot condone that which God has condemned under both the old and new covenants.

My family and I were in line at Chick-Fil-A yesterday and we will not be voting for Romney. If the people that were in line yesterday want to see their values truly preserved, then they need to support Ron Paul and not Romney.

think the HATE is in YOUR heart…go see somebody about it!

I am in love with a 12 year old as a 30 year old man!..THANK YOU for supporting our love!

Obviously sarcasm…

the EXTREME right is dying out…unfortunately…the extreme LEFT isn’t! Hopefully…those of us in the center and right of center can hold the line!

• Biology says:

Yes…atheists who believe in science would DEFINITELY think that homosexuality (which appears in over 150 animal species) is “unnatural”. I’m glad you speak for atheists, too.

I’ve been hearing rumors that we are getting one, but you know how the rumors around here are.

• Guest 10101 says:

I know you weren’t quite the target profile I was posting to but a couple of things in it just gave me enough of a target to do my post as a response……….And it was near the top :-)

I’m sure you could see from the post who my actual target group is. Watching an honest man with an honest opinion, he had every right to have, become vilified unjustifiably by a small minority of extremists has been the last straw for many. Many, myself included, are also speaking out on the latest twistings occurring with the First Amendment. All voters have a right to vote their opinion, not just extreme liberals. That includeds people who go to church. This, by the way, has always been a civil rather than a religious issue for me even though I have my own religious perspective.

Kinda thought your comment on “educate” and “majority to decide” dealt with the recent NC Amendment One vote. If that’s what you meant, I agree to disagree with you. If not, maybe yes or maybe no. My definition of a true majority in an election are those who vote, not just give an opinon. Referring to NC Amendment One, the “majority” voted.

• John says:

Your first sentence is a complete contradiction. My point is in a country founded on diverse principles homosexuals should be allowed to marry, benefit from joint healthcare, make healthcare decisions for their partner, benefit from a tax stand point as heterosexual marriages do. The do not want what “special” rights just an even playing field. You see their desire for equality isn’t special because somewhere in your warped brainwashed mind you feel threatened that a gay couples could have a loving marriage to rival your own and it turns your stomach… Am I right? I agree people from all walks of life find it hard to accept the fact that two women or two men could love each other, and want to spend their lives together. Just as people in the fifties would have a hard time with interracial relationships. The main problem I have with your above statement is the fact that you are a very uneducated christian as it pertains to your holy book. First off saying I believe in this magical sky wizard the old testament was meant for the Hebrew people, and them only. So as for that section of the Bible it’s a good read but holds no bearing on your faith, or your destiny for afterlife. The only mention of it’s teaching referenced by Jesus of Nazareth was of the commandments. Now name me which one of the ten disapproves of gay marriage? So we can all agree the old testament is nothing more than a good read… Let’s move on to the New Testament… Jesus of Nazareth never made any reference for or against gay marriage… I guess he didn’t find it that important to comment on. Lastly there is nothing in the new testament referencing gay unions… So where has God condemned homosexuality? I would really like to know, and way to go eating that chicken sandwich Wednesday to prove you are the most arrogant christians on the planet.

• John says:

I have morals… I am 32 years old, never committed a crime in my life. Married to a wonderful woman I love dearly. I see nothing wrong with people who love each other showing it. This is where you have gone off the deep end… Somewhere in your warped brainwashed mind you have been conditioned to hate gay people. You were more than likely conditioned to this fact from an early age. But here is the good news… So was I, but you know what I grew up, and developed my own opinion. There is nothing in the bible, or otherwise that should prevent homosexuals from having the ability to marry, and live productive lives within their union. Stop trying to sell the non-christians on being offended by their “obnoxious” behavior. I get it, misery loves company. You want people to feel as you feel. It’s time for you to realize gay people aren’t going away. This is not a fad. Same sex relationships have existed longer than the human race… there are over 150 known species which demonstrate homosexual behavior. The people who you are referring to are Americans too.

• GuestReality says:

The Old Testament is an important part of the Bible and can’t be ignored if you’re a Christian. Christians follow the WHOLE Bible, not just the New Testament.

The actual word “homosexual” didn’t come into existence until the 19th century; therefore, The Bible doesn’t specifically use the word “homosexual” in the New Testament, but it’s meaning is clear. What else would you call it when it mentions women laying with women and men laying with men as being “unnatural”? Pretty clear, huh?

I know you won’t pick up the Bible and read it, even to try to prove someone wrong, but in the New Testmanet, Romans 1:18-27, 1 Corinthians 6:9, and 1 Tim. 1:10 are just some of the scriptures that backup Old Testament laws about homosexuality being an abomination to God.

If you really believe in “faith, love, and charity”, you shouldn’t be telling people to shut up just because they don’t agree with you. This is a public forum and anyone is welcome to comment on any of the posts.

• GuestReality says:

And somewhere in your “warped brainwashed mind you have been conditioned” to believe that being gay doesn’t offend God. You’re wrong. I don’t hate gay people; where did you read that? Certainly not in my post. I hate the acts they perform, but I don’t hate them specifically.

You must have read your own version of the Bible, which you interpreted any old way you wanted. My Bible never said homosexuality is OK or moral, and it never will.

You’re entitled to you opinion, but so am I. And I will voice it just as loud as homosexuals voice theirs. Deal with it.

• John says:

I am sure the king james version is the most commonly produced bible on the market, and in THAT version in the new testament there is no reference to GOD opposing Homosexual behavior. Your are seriously reaching to think otherwise, and you are taking the bible in one hand and your personal opinion in the other and trying to make them stick… Again the problem for you is you are too opinionated for your own good. Until one Christian can provide one once of definite proof God is offended by Homosexual behavior I will continue to defend their rights.

• John says:

“Christians follow the WHOLE Bible…bahaahahaha… have you even read the Bible? The WHOLE thing?? Your ridiculous…

• GuestReality says:

Yes, I have read the whole Bible….with understanding. You obviously, have not. And what little you read, you disregarded if it didn’t fit into your own wants and needs. I feel sorry for you.

• Guesticle says:

Funny…I can’t recall seeing this much outrage when Obama said the same thing in 2008…

“I believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman. Now, for me as a Christian — for me — for me as a Christian, it is also a sacred union. God’s in the mix.” – April 17, 2008, while running for president

“I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I am not in favor of gay marriage. But when you start playing around with constitutions, just to prohibit somebody who cares about another person, it just seems to me that’s not what America’s about.” – Nov. 2, 2008, while running for president

Yeah, he’s flip-flopped a few times on this issue since his days in the Senate. But, still… where was the outrage then?

• GuestMan. says:

or else you skipped the part about loving your neighbor like you love yourself or you are filled with self-loathing. Could you please tell me which it is?

• John says:

What wants and needs are you referring too? And who says that I consider myself a christian? I read the bible objectively and for educational purposes. I have no dog in this fight outside of the misinformation of some people of the Christian faith, and the blatant disregard of simple liberties constitutionally awarded to ALL natural citizens of the USA. I’m just saying there is absolutely no one capable of knowing all of the doctrine encompassed in the bible, and can live their life making decisions based on every single line of scripture… utterly impossible… Don’t feel sorry for me I’m quite fine in knowing who I am, and what I’m about.

• John says:

You really know me I tell you… I have nothing but love for everyone. I truly value human life, and simply want the best for everyone. I can love and still have a difference of opinion and in some instances such as this point out some truths and some distortions on some peoples parts of what they actually “think” the Bible says… can you say the same for yourself…

• John says:

Sorry guestman I thought your above comment was directed to me…

• GuestReality says:

The actual word “homosexual” wasn’t used until the 19th century. Even so, I think you can understand that these verses are talking very plainly about homosexuality and how God feels about it. It’s very plain and clear. You would have to be an absolute moron not to understand that God is talking about homosexuality in these verses.

You asked for proof, here it is. Unfortunately, I tend to doubt your statement that you will be swayed by this, even if you read it in black and white in God’s Holy Word, but I’ll give it a try anyway.

“If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination.” (Leviticus 20:13).

“You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you.” (Leviticus 18:22-24).

“For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due.” (Romans 1:26-27).

“as Sodom and Gomorrah, and the cities around them in a similar manner to these, having given themselves over to sexual immorality and gone after strange flesh, are set forth as an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.” (Jude 7)

“Now before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, both old and young, all the people from every quarter, surrounded the house. And they called to Lot and said to him, “Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us so that we can have sex with them.” (Genesis 19:4-5)

• GuestReality says:

I was referring to your own agenda. Whatever direction you’re trying to sway people to. Believe me, I never for one instant mistook you for a Christian.

You may have intentionally misunderstood me, but I never said that anyone can live their life making decisions based on every single line of scripture. What I did say is that the Old Testament should never be disregarded by Christians. If you disregard the Old Testament, you would have to disregard the Ten Commandments. The Old Testament and the New Testament are BOTH in the Bible, and God wants us to know them both, or the Old Testament wouldn’t have been included.

• Guess Again says:

God himself only states the rules of homosexuality in the Old Testament. All of the verses in the New Testament which speak out against homosexuality come from Paul, a Jewish man who is still enthralled with the laws of the Old Testament. They do not, as in the original testament, come from the mouth of God, or as in the first four books of the New Testament, from the mouth of Jesus himself.

Jesus Christ, who gives his name to the Christian faith, saw fit to speak out against many things, including whether or not a rich man can enter the gates of heaven, whether or not divorce was okay, what commandments were the most important to live your life by, and many other things. He never once chose to make reference to homosexuality in his sermon.

Plus: all of the verses about homosexuality can be attributed to a warning against lust and adultery. The Bible says very little condemning a love shared between two men, and in fact, if you read the story of Jonathan and David, it states that they had a love which far transcended the love between a man and a woman, and that they were “of one soul”.

Even the much used Sodom and Gomorrah story was not a condemnation of homosexual acts, even though that’s what many Christians use the story to prove. God did not destroy Sodom because the men wanted to have sex with the angels (and if it was a sin of sexual immorality, Lot was just as guilty for he offered up his daughter to the men…), but rather, as Ezekiel 16:49 says: “Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.”

The church went the wrong way with Paul, and it’s his teachings which have been used since the dawn of Christianity to persecute and condemn. His word can be blamed for the Crusades and the Spanish Inquisition. If all Christians simply followed Christ, we would be a religion of service and love, and there would be no condemnation or judgement. But instead, the “Christian” church might as well change its name to “Paulian” or something else, because they ignore most of Christ’s greatest teachings…

• Rick Wilson says:

I will have to admit that I have had some fun with the hoopla over Chick-Fil-A. Please do not take that to mean that I think it is a laughing matter. I DO NOT. If I am asked point blank if I am for gay marriage, my answer is no, I am not for gay marriage. Without any further discussion, there are some who would brand me as living in the stone ages and biased. Just like a few people did to the owner of Chick-Fil-A. Then the media blew it completely out of proportion, and look what happened. If I am allowed to give more than just a yes or no answer, here it is. I am against gay marriage. I also voted against amendment one, and firmly believe that I do not have the right to dictate to others what they do in privacy of their own homes as long as they are not hurting others. I also feel the government needs to quit trying to legislate morality, whatever their definition might happen to be. If everybody in this country are required to pay taxes, then the law should apply equally to everyone. If we balance the playing field, any legitimate argument for gay marriage goes away. The other thing I find puzzling is how many people dust off their Bibles when it is convenient, and the rest of the time live how they want regardless of what the Bible says. No one is perfect, but the people that truly believe, never have to tell you they are a Christian, you know by how they conduct themselves every single day…….

I do hope there is a silver lining in all of this. I hope that everyone that went to Chick-Fil-A yesterday is registered to vote, and will show the same tenacity showing up in November to vote. I hope they will educate themselves on all the issues and become an informed voter. I also hope that everyone will realize a personal opinion does not justify a boycott. This man was asked a question and gave an honest answer. He is not on the airways every single day bashing people. Everyone in this world is not a politician. They have not been trained to talk out of both sides of their mouths without saying anything. In my opinion, this is a good thing. Give an honest man a break, he deserves it.

To the poster above me, you certainly imply a lot that I did not say in my original post. I said I wanted people to educate themselves, I did not give the curriculum. I said I wanted a majority to decide the election, I did not tell anyone how to vote. I would like for one election to be decided by a true majority. That means if you will stand in line for hour(s) to prove your point, then you should be willing to stand in line to do something that actually matters like voting. It is called putting your vote where your opinion is.

• Robert Green says:

My wife and I do not approve of the Red Star newspaper , so we show our disapproval by not purchasing the product. Since I disapprove , I do not call for the Red Star to be silenced , such as the LGBT community’s desire to silence Chik-Fil-A. Liberals are always the aggressors with all their movements. The Occutard’s vandalism and violence that was on display for the nation to see was praised by the media as their freedom of expression. Whereas the chronically lying Brian Ross of ABC News failed attempt to tie in the Tea Party with the movie massacre exposed the media’s bias towards conservatism. The market forces determine the successes of companies not politicians , with people voting with their pocketbook. I added to Chik-Fil-A’s prosperity today by visiting their restaurant twice. I was happy to do so and will be returning for many more chicken sandwiches.

• Erlkoenig says:

I really enjoyed my spicy chicken biscuit.

• RSimmons says:

Self described Christians out in force to support a man who claims that God wants us to deny another human being the same rights and legal standing that Dan Cathy enjoys. No wonder society is falling apart.

• Will White says:

If Mr. Romney wants to win in November, he needs to support the values that ‘normal people in this country still live by. If he does, he will see voters lined up to vote just like we saw Chick-Fil-A lines today. Don’t waver Mr. Romney!

• GuestOK says:

Why no word on how many showed up yesterday at the local Chick-Fil-A for the “kiss-in”? My, my, my. I guess it was a total flop, huh? I can just hear all the excuses now.

• B M says:

Atta boy Chick Filet, people are fed up and want to get back to “AMERICAN” values, November can’t come soon enough!

• Rick Wilson says:

Vacation time that could have been used for something other than word meaning.
    Road trip to a restaurant you seldom go to.
    Standing in a long line…..
    Rumor has it that some of their competitors shut down for the day and went to Chick-Fil-A??????
    Chick-Fil-A played you like a drum…………
    Priceless!

Now the other side of the argument are going to Chick-Fil-A on Friday?
    These people are marketing geniuses!
    I wonder who they will choose to piss off next week and repeat the process?

I just wish that when the election rolls around in November, all these people would educate themselves on the issues, and actually vote. It would be nice if a true majority decided the election.

• Cathy Lane says:

Liberal politicians, Hollywood, the liberal media would all have you think that the majority of US citizens are in their favor. I am not so sure about that. This is just one example of people finally speaking out, mostly in favor of free speech (and some for CFA stand on marriage). Maybe there is hope after all!!!

• Melissa M says:

People do we really want to start quoting the bible, I can also quote it . The best thing I was ever taught was Dont judge someone just because they sin differently than you. With that Leviticus 19:19 You shall not let your castle breed with different kind, you shall not sow your field with two kinds of seeds…. HUMMM so not only is same sex relationships a sin to God but so is biracial marriage and marriage between two people of different religions…okay everyone lets go back to 1950s so that we can follow religion the right way. JUDGE NOT UNLESS YOUR WILL TO STAND AT THE START LINE. So yes I gave up chick fil a, to donate money to hate is a SIN!!! Im straight but not narrow and will always support human rights !

• GuestReality says:

Society is falling apart because of the lewd, lascivious, obsene, vulgar, indecent, and unprincipled perversion that is practiced on a daily basis by homosexuals, who choose to flaunt their behaviors in society’s and America’s faces. You don’t have to be a Christian to be offended by their obnoxious behavior; you just have to have morals.

It’s NOT about “promoting hate”…
    This is about ONE MANS Religious Beliefs and FIRST ADMENDMENT SPEECH!
    When you have several Mayor’s (such as $hitcago’s Mayor Rahm Emanuel) working to DENY the business to operate in a City(s), Philly et al, because of your speech/Faith, using the .GOV to do, or FORCE everyone else to your “views”, or DENY COMMERCE It’s just WRONG..
    Especially when, Rahm Emanuel invites a known Marxist/Muslim, ( Louis Farrakhan) …that Supports KILLING the LGBT Community,through HIS beliefs, (Muslim), Move up there with them, you Progressives… Be led into the Oven(s) & Gas Chamber(s)….
    NOTE, you Progressives, every time you buy GAS, your supporting Muslim Countries that would be happy to STONE YOU to death…. For being a *LGBT*…
    meanwhile, I’m eaten MO Chicken…

• Guest 10101 says:

You’re so twisted around inside of your politically correct head YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE OBVIOUS even when it’s right in front of your face.

A man and his company exercise their First Amendment rights and speak up AND YOU CAN’T HANDLE IT because it’s not what YOU wanted to hear.

Chick-fil-a didn’t play anyone. An overwhelming majority of our society has decided to no longer get played by a few anti-First Amendment individuals AND YOU CAN’T HANDLE IT.

Voters exercised their right to vote to choose as they saw fit and YOU CAN’T HANDLE IT and say they have to educate themselves.

A true majority did decide the election AND YOU CAN’T HANDLE IT and say instead it wasn’t true even though it happened right in front of you.

What you’re experiencing is called backlash. You thought you could publicly demean others just because they had an opinion different than yours. You were wrong. You thought that those other than yourself didn’t have the same First Amendment rights afforded to you by our democratic society. You were wrong. You mistakenly mistook political politeness for weakness. You were wrong and now YOU CAN’T HANDLE IT. Don’t like it? Too bad. Your strident, politically correct nastiness has gone too far.

People are flocking into Chick-fil-A. They’re telling you that you have a right to your opinion but not the right to get what you want simply because you want it. All of this could have been avoided if you had simply been decent enough to acknowledge that everyone has the right to their own opinion in our society. You could have agreed to disagree but YOU COULDN’T HANDLE IT and lashed out with a temper tantrum instead. That kind of behaviour used to get you what you wanted. Those days might be over. Now you’re stuck with having to pretend it’s not even happening.

How’s that working out for you? I’m guessing not too well because YOU’RE NOT CAPABLE OF HANDLING IT.

• John says:

It is utterly pathetic that we as a people have stooped to such moronic lows. The LGBT community wants the same rights traditional families have, as they should in a country with freedom of speech, and freedom of religion prevails no law should be made on the basis of one religions ideals. With that said Mr. Cathy is a religious man who happens to run a private company which he and his family have instilled a christian business model to run Chick-Fil-A. He has every right to his ideals and convictions as it pertains to God the Bible, and so on. What Christians need to understand is that everyone doesn’t share their viewpoint on “God”, Afterlife, etc. and that this country was founded in a manner where people can practice their personal beliefs away from persecution. Recently some factions of the Christian Church has basically waged a war on the LGBT community by holding gay couples to christian standards by lobbying for same sex marriage laws. Many states have adopted these laws including NC based on one religions fear of what the world might become if this act of marriage is tolerated.

It is time for Liberty and Justice for ALL. It is time to stop this judgmental approach by the Christian faith that it’s their way or the highway. It’s time for everyone to stop what they are doing and realize we live in AMERICA. You shouldn’t have to prove your commitment to your faith by purchasing a Chicken Sandwich. And many of the comments listed on this blog really show how the members of the Christian faith really represents themselves… Your not the only religion in this country, and everyone isn’t held to your standard. Food for thought.

• Oceanman says:

The Chick-Fil-A event of August first was just a small prelude of what to expect on November sixth!! America is FINALLY seeing the light.

• Getalife says:

It’s amazing how many people use what’s written in a book to spew hatred at others, in the name of god. Just curious why it matters to all of you haters what two people who are in love do in the privacy of their lives. How does a marriage that you dont approve of because of how you interpret a passage in a book, affect the rest of you people? Do you have such pathetic lives of your own that it makes you feel better to show your hatred towards others? What kind of Christians are you? It’s too bad you all can’t spend your free time doing good christian deeds, instead of hating others for how they were born. You people showing your hate is an embarrassment to this good Christian country, seems to me you all need to find something better to do with your free time.

• Native Wilmingtonian says:

Red Star…..that’s rich. Thankfully, extreme right wingers like yourself are dying out. Mr Green, you yourself are what, in your late 60’s I presume? Thankfully, the up and coming Americans are not so white, and not so christian extremist. Welcome to the new millennium, Mr Green.

• John says:

I know when the term “Homosexual” came into usage. And it is hilarious to watch how over the years the Christian faith has used new slang wordage and incorporated it in the bible with new versions such as the NIV. Which has the word homosexual in it’s passages. This is the root of all of these problems… man keeps interpreting scripture the way they see fit and putting in words that move farther and farther away from the original text to conform to the mainstream of that generation. The passages you have brought forth are fulfilled through Jesus Christ. He wiped out the ALL old testament laws. The only new testament passage you presented was Romans and that was written by Paul who we know as the one dedicated to the old laws of the old testament. God through Jesus, God himself, nor Jesus made reference in the new testament regarding homosexuality. Point blank period. Christians are so quick to grab old laws as Paul did and hold on to them because of a personal distain… So thank you for your reply but again your proof is invalid.

• John says:

Are you really that childish? Wow.

• John says:

Men wrote the bible. Men decided what material would be placed in the bible…. many books were left out in case you didn’t know. Men who were interpreting ancient hebrew text. Which a lot of characters could have had a lot of different meanings. It is safe to say that this man made book has many flaws… and over the years the Christian faith makes it even worse with the NIV version taking words out and putting in modern day slang, wordage which takes the true meaning away from the original text every time. The thing about your argument which you don’t even see is Jesus mentioned the commandments in the new testament he never mentions homosexual, or anything of the kind. It seems that all knowing God would have foreseen these obstacles, and gave Jesus a sermon to preach on the matter.

It is coming to light that the monkey shine CFL pulled the other day was nothing but a sales gimmick. Some “Sheeple” likely went for it.

• American says:

Exactly what “AMERICAN” values are you referring to?

The ones from the preamble to the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self evident that ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL and endowed by their Creator with certain INALIENABLE rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Or the ones from the pledge of allegiance:

“…with liberty and justice FOR ALL”

Or the constitution:

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of SPEECH, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to ASSEMBLE, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

“All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; NOR DENY TO ANY PERSON WITHIN ITS JURISDICTION THE EQUAL PROTECTION OF THE LAWS.”

I’m pretty sure you don’t mean “AMERICAN” values when you speak out against the rights of other people to live their lives and pursue their own measure of happiness, or when you use religion to establish laws, or when you condemn others for assembling peacefully or using their speech freely. You mean “CHRISTIAN” values or “REPUBLICAN” values, because “AMERICA” has always been a place where the many have come together, no matter their differences, to face a common destiny. Our motto is “E PLURIBUS UNUM”, out of many, one. Our country is not a singular view, not a singular ethnicity, not a singular race, not a singular religion. We are a country filled with a plethora of beliefs and peoples. It is the job of the constitution to make sure that, no matter how vast your majority or small your minority, you are protected as an EQUAL citizen in our country. It is the job of the courts to make sure that laws are not created which violate someone’s rights, and often times the courts strike down laws created by the majority which violate the rights of the minority (Brown vs. the Board of Education, for instance).

I don’t think you mean “AMERICAN” values, I think you mean your own personal values. And that’s fine…please have them, please share them, but don’t misname them. America doesn’t prescribe to one ethos or to one view of the world. It is legion. It sees the world like a kaleidoscope with a thousand different facets and viewpoints. And that is what is beautiful about our country.

• Informed Citizen says:

Corrections:

1) This country was not founded on Christian beliefs. Many of the founding fathers–BUT NOT ALL–were Christian, yes, but they based most of their plans for our country on Enlightenment era philosophers like John Locke and Thomas Hobbes. The words “God” or “Jesus” do not appear in the US Constitution, and in fact, the whole point of the opening nine words of the First Amendment were used to remind us that the government should stay out of religion–just as religion should stay out of government.

2) This country WAS founded, however, on the belief that all people are created equally and deserve certain rights. There are countless times in their correspondence with one another and in the Constitution when the fathers of our country discussed how the country should be free, filled with liberty, and equal rights should go to all. Of course, they didn’t include “women” or “African-Americans” in their concept of “people”…but we’ve fixed their short-sightedness with the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 19th.

If you believe in equality and freedom, then you believe in America as the founding fathers envisioned.

• tracy 1234 says:

People, People, People…. read the last book of the Bible – the end, what will happen – thats all that matters – where will you be going when He returns??… gays, straights… we ALL will stand before Him… if you have heard the gospel and deny Him, then you will go to Hell, simply put – if you trust in Him and accept Him as your personal Savior, then Heaven.. there is only 2 choices – and the choice is yours and only yours to make – Yes, how you live your life, you will answer to Him, but YOU will be the one answering for yourself. So if your gay, you have to answer, if your straight, you have to answer… Go support the Chicken place, dont support the Chicken place, thats your choice – just like the end.. thats your choice – but God hates the sin, not the sinner – and we as Christians should hate the Sin, not the sinner – we should want to be like Him.. but it comes down to the last chapter – your choice….

• John says:

Your absolutely right… If you believe in that sort of thing… There are other endings…. i.e., nothing happens and we take a dirt nap, we turn into ghosts and roam around as residual energy, we come back as a grasshopper, lots of ways this could go… the point is we are here now, and we should make very effort to be as fair as possible now… if some are eligible for tax deductions, and healthcare benefits because they have a legal union so should other varieties of unions… leave the religion out of it…

Our great country was 1st founded on tolerance and acceptance. The founding fathers established “American Rights”, with those virtues in mind. The did not set up our country on purely Christin beliefs, because if my memory serves me correctly, Christians at the time were persecuting other Christians because they differed on what the bible was telling them. They set up our government up in a way that will protect EVERYONE’s beliefs and values systems.

Mr. Cathy has the right to express his opinion and so do you and so does the gay community. That is what makes our country great and our founding fathers would be proud of that. Protection of freedom of speech is useless if it only protects accepted speech. Christians and gays need to stop trying to force people to believe the way they do, you can express your opinions, but that is all that they are. I really do not care what you believe and who you sleep with as long as you do not force your way of life on me, or hurt innocents in the process. You treat me with respect and I will do the same. Just quite telling me Christianity is the only way, or that gay is the way to go.

Everyone seems to be so polarized, in order to live peacefully, where everyone is accepted and tolerated there needs to be some middle ground.

• Charley says:

“Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.’

This verse from the Bible has been used by African Christians to target 15,000 children as witches. Over 1,000 have been tortured and murdered.

The Bible can be barbaric and used for nefarious purposes.

The Bible cannot be taken literally. We need to read it critically and analytically.

I’m sick of ignorant, immoral Bible thumpers.

• 1981duke says:

Unlike LBBT,the sport of Baseball is growing,as well as Amric’s game.

• 1981duke says:

The LGBT community might frequent Chick-Fil-A and that is fine,as everytime I go to a Chick Fil-A the lines are very long,so just helps out the”mormal” customers.

• Eric Jarman says:

Since their seems to be so much decent from the gay and lesbian community as express by Ryan Burris of Wilmington pride. Finding it so difficult to spend his money at a business who’s owner simply express his beliefs and point of view. Perhaps those of us who do support Mr. Cathy’s right to free speech should stop spending our money at businesses owned by those in the gay and lesbian community who disagree with his right to do so. I can not think of one gay or lesbian business owner that I do business with who could survive if Christians and other believers in traditional marriage decided to boycott them simply based on there right to express their opinion.

• GuestMan. says:

Are you a “mormal” customer. BTW, I’ll bet there were a lot of “Kluckers” at Chick-Fil-A yesterday.

• 1981duke says:

Means,
    Moral and Normal.
    LGBT are neither.

Applies equally to ALL citizens….including CHRISTIANS?????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Thanks, you gave me my laugh for the day!

• GuestReality says:

Knowing that you did not ask your questions in earnest or sincerety, but only asked them intending to embarrass and belittle Christians, I will nevertheless provide a brief response to your query.

The Torah is the Jewish name for the first five books of the Jewish Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. The Books of Leviticus and Exodus, which you quote so liberally in your post, are instruction books, or rule books, given to the high priests to be handed down to the Hebrew people. These rule books weren’t meant for the Gentiles (non-Hebrews or unbelievers); they were meant for the Hebrew nation.

I can tell from your post that you pride yourself on your great knowledge of The Bible. It’s a shame you don’t have a real meaning of it also. That’s somethig only God Himself can give, and He obviously chose, in His own infinite wisdom, not to enlighten you.

• Guess Again says:

I did not ask those questions in order to belittle and embarrass all Christians, as I myself am a Christian and have read the Bible cover to cover several times in order to further my understanding of my faith. I asked the questions in order to show the ridiculous nature of using one verse from the Bible, especially the Old Testament, to condemn anyone or anything–because, as you said, the Old Testament was written as a Hebrew spiritual text and, as Jesus said, he “fulfilled” the old laws, meaning they no longer are necessary to obtain forgiveness for our sins.

I asked the questions to point out the absurdity with which people pick and choose which parts of the Bible they will adhere to–or use as ammunition against those with whom they disagree–, when the greatest verses on how to live your life as a Christian come from Jesus’ mouth:

Matthew 22:36: “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.”

Many Christians–and thankfully not ALL Christians–have done a whole lot in the name of Leviticus 18:22 in recent years, but this vocal minority of Christians fail to uphold the greatest of Jesus’ commandments: love your neighbor as yourself.

I can tell by your post that you make far reaching and baseless assumptions about people, which is unfortunate, and you base these assumptions on whether or not the person posting has the same views of the world as you. If I were to read the Bible and provide a different interpretation from you, I can no doubt assume from your post that you think my interpretation is not coming from the spirit of God, but who are you to claim enlightenment or to cast judgement? Am I to assume that you have the audacity to believe that you have been given “real meaning” of scripture, and then the authority with which to strike down others as well?

As you claim, the Old Testament laws have little bearing on my life as a Gentile–although there IS much debate about this, as Romans 11 makes the claim that Gentile believers, as “wild olive shoots” have been “grafted in among” the Hebrews–, and so therefore I live my life according to the commandments of Jesus. I also find little value in the words of Paul, who Christians quote and adhere to more than the words of Christ, who gave them his name.

You have made the cardinal error–as many on this thread have also done–of assuming that all Christians see the world exactly in the same myopic way. You have made the assumption that your world view is the only one, and anyone who agrees with you must not be touched by the spirit of the Lord. If we are to discuss a post for its level of pride, I think we need look no further than to a man who claims he has the mouth of God whispering solely in his own ear, and who jumps so quickly to condemn and belittle others.

• John says:

Thank you Guess Again for your enlightened eloquent words. Christians need to obey the commandments of Jesus, and cease the need to interpret scripture out of context of an out of date testament to validate their personal thoughts, and say it’s God’s word. The point is be a Christian, Serve your God. Keep it out of political theatre. This is the reason for separation of church and state. Christians feel that their religion is the end all be all, and no other religion should be accepted in American culture. Thing is this country was founded on the principle that anyone can practice their religion of choice without persecution. That holds true today… that’s why there isn’t prayer in school… why would christians even want that? because when you invite that your inviting opportunities for other religions to practice their prayers and meditation as well. Which I’m sure would cause an uproar when the little Muslim girl or boy pulls out there rug and gets on there knees to pray to Mecca right in front of your christian boy and girl… it’s madness you have to separate the two. The problem is individuals such in positions of power are introducing bills which are becoming laws directly influenced by the Christian church. What happens when another religion starts introducing bills in favor of their teachings…. this is a very dangerous game. If I were a religious leader I would ask that we focus on our religion, and the principles, and beliefs and keep it to that.

Lastly, Homosexuals aren’t going anywhere they have existed even before human race. There are at least 150 know species which demonstrate homosexual behavior. It’s time for us to move pass all of the hatred, and back talk and accept the fact that some people are attracted to the same sex… point blank. Right/Wrong/ or indifferent it’s not going to change anything. It’s not going to change your marriage or mine. I’m married to a lovely lady I love dearly. I was brought up to find homosexual people disgusting and vile, but you know what I grew up and formed my own opinion, and that is simply hatred towards how a certain person chooses to live their life is wrong. As long as they are productive citizens in society let them be happy. We only get one trip on the big rock, and if that’s how they want to live it so be it.

• GuestReality says:

I’m so glad you clarified that you’re a Christian. By reading just your original post, I never would have drawn that conclusion. It certainly didn’t sound like it came from a Christian.

When you said in your recent post, “the Old Testament was…no longer necessary to obtain forgiveness for our sins”, does that mean we need to disregard The Ten Commandments because they are part of the “old laws”? Should we forget about helping widows and children when they lose a husband or a father?

I agree with you that “people pick and choose which parts of the Bible they will adhere to–or use as ammunition against those with whom they disagree”, but please also understand that is done by both Christians AND non-Christians. You make it sound as if Christians are the only ones that pick and choose verses.

When Jesus said, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself”, he was talking about spiritual love. Unfortunately, a great many these days interpret “love” to be either physical in nature, or an unnatural love. Either one is not what Jesus was talking about, as you well know. You can love your neighbor and still not agree with their lifestyle.

You assume many unfounded and unknowledgeable “facts” about me and my faith that amounts to bearing false witness against your neighbor. I make no assumptions about people based strictly on whether or not they have the same view of world that I do. I would never claim that I have been given the “real meaning” of scripture. I leave that to the Jim Jones’ of the world. I’m not trying to interpret anything. I’m taking God at his simple word when he said that homosexuality is an abomination to Him. That seems pretty clear to me. How can I misinterpret that? Aren’t you trying to claim that which you attack me for? That your interpretation of God’s Word is better than mine? After all, you did brag that you’ve read the Bible cover to cover on several occasions. In fact, and not to brag, so have I.

I’m amazed that, as a Christian, you “find little value in the words of Paul”. I certainly don’t quote and adhere more to the words of Paul than the words of Christ, but Paul is nonetheless a saint and was an invaluable witness for Christ.

I have never assumed that ANY Christian sees the world exactly in the same way I do. I have never made the assumption that my world view is the only one, and that anyone who disagrees with me must not be touched by the Spirit of the Lord. That, again, is an assumption of your own, having never met me or knowing anything about me. Again, bearing false witness against your neighbor. I am not jumping to condemn and belittle others, although you seem to have taken particular delight in that yourself. I do condemn and belittle the sin, but not the sinner. That’s for God to judge, not me.

• Guess Again says:

From your original post, you were condemning me for reading the Bible but not possessing understanding, and belittled me by claiming that God had obviously not chosen to bestow meaning upon me. Am I not to assume that means that you believe you have been given some kind of meaning from God? Even though you claim that you have not…

I believe Jesus’ teachings and his commandments are, as even he himself stated, all encompassing of what is important from the Old Testament. How can I possibly love God and have other gods before him or forsake the sabbath day or put a graven image before him or use his name in vain? How can I possibly love my neighbor and steal from them, or covet their things, or bear false witness, or kill them, or sleep with their wives, dishonor my parents, Would not I be loving my neighbor if I cared for the sick, the elderly, the widowed, the children? He said “what you do for the least of my brothers, you do for me”, which I assume means if I give my life in service to those in need, I am, in fact, fulfilling Christ’s commands and being a Christian.

Just as you assumed many things about me, I apologize if my assumptions about you were inaccurate. But that is how you presented yourself, as one who had special knowledge of the Bible that you could use to belittle or put down others. It is not bearing false witness to point out how one is perceived. This is obviously the internet, and your tone can not be sussed out 100%, but you made it very clear that you were being disdainful or looking down on me, and you’ve done it in other places to other people who have quoted the Bible. I was not bragging when I said I had read the Bible, that is a fact, and from my reading of the Bible I have gained much information which has informed my faith. I never once stated that you hadn’t read the Bible or didn’t know what you were talking about, just that my interpretation of scripture and yours obviously differ. Unless you are to claim that you have THE interpretation, which I have never claimed, then it seems as if you have assumed wrongly about me.

I am always interested in having a conversation about scripture with those who also know the scripture. I will be interested to see, in thirty years or so, how this all looks differently. The Bible has often been used by those who claim absolute moral authority to condemn and separate mankind. It was used as a justification for slavery; for Jim Crow; for laws against interracial marriage; for keeping women out of the work force or prevent them from voting; and now for keeping two people who want to express their love to one another (not their disgusting lust, their love) from being married. Obviously the Christian church is not one on their interpretation of gay marriage–as the Episcopalian and Methodist churches have shown–just as the churches were not one on the issues surrounding African-Americans and women or even prohibition.

You are obviously on the wrong side of history as far as the laws of our country are concerned–gay marriage will be universal eventually, and gays will be equal citizens under the law. Whether or not you are on the wrong side of the Bible and what many Christians will believe in the future is yet to be seen….obviously “Christian beliefs” are not 100% and “universal” interpretation of the Bible does change. Even the Catholic church accepts Evolution these days, for instance.

I’ve enjoyed the exchange, Reality, but let us both not work to assume in the future.

The Bible says that condoning sinful behavior is a sin, therefore Christians should not condone sinful behavior. The organizations that Chick-Fil-A donates to are Christian organizations and they support Bible-based Christian beliefs. And the Bible states clearly that homosexuality is a sin. So, as a normal, heterosexual, Christian female, I voted for the marriage amendment. I went yesterday to Chick-Fil-A to support traditional, Biblical family values. Jesus didn’t preach tolerance. He abhorred sin. He loves everybody. He came to earth because of that love. The acceptance He taught was for us to accept Him. The love that he taught should extend to everyone. I believe that message and I try to live my life accordingly. But loving someone doesn’t mean that I have to accept or tolerate their sinful behavior.

me explain myself…my delusional comment was aimed at your comment that Mr Cathy was somehow going to be punished…he isn’t. I absolutely feel you have the right to boycott, etc. HOWEVER, the ANGER AND HATRED I see from the LGBT community because others expressed THEIR right to oppose their boycott…is SICKENING!

I do NOT have a problem with gay CIVIL UNIONS…but if you think it would be OK for a gay couple to sue a church because they won’t marry you inside the church…I WILL OPPOSE YOU…that infringes on the churches rights!…Everybody wants to jump on the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE bandwagon, even though that doesn’t exist, …but when it’s in the churches favor..the same people want to overlook it! Again, I will vote FOR your right to a civil union, but I will vote AGAINST your right to force a church to marry you within its walls!

• John says:

I’m just curious what Bible you are ready? Where in the Bible does it blatantly say homosexual behavior is a sin? I’m just curious because I have read the bible quite a few times, and have never stumbled upon that one. And don’t give me some out of date old testament scripture to validate your claim. This is the root of the problem. Christians are waging this war on the LGBT community with really no biblical ammunition. All I hear is “Well God doesn’t condone homosexuality” oh really… you must have him on speed dial please call him up so we can clear this up because the all mighty book he left down here for us to live by says nothing about that…

• Constitutional says:

The whole “gays will sue to be married in churches” thing is absolutely ridiculous. Churches can currently deny to marry just about anyone they want. There are many heterosexual couples who can’t be married in the many Catholic churches, for instance, for many different reasons: one or the other isn’t Catholic and they don’t convert, they didn’t take the marriage class, the priest doesn’t approve of their union, etc. I mean, less than a week ago, a Baptist Church in Mississippi refused to marry two people because they were black. ( http://abcnews.go.com/US/mississippi-church-rejects-black-wedding/story?id=16878536#.UBv-hMXCYSZ )

Churches, while “non-profit” organizations, are still private organizations and can make a choice to pretty much do whatever they want to do within their building. As much as Christians think there is an attack on what Christians do, I don’t know of any laws that currently limit your right to worship and do what you please within your own church or home–except in the case of animal or human sacrifice, etc.

Marriage, in the “gay marriage” argument, is not a religious thing. It isn’t the union discussed in the Bible. Marriage is the union, under the state’s laws, between two people. It’s a civil, secular union. It can be performed in a court house, in your back yard, at the beach, or, if the church is willing–as MANY Christian Churches, including Episcopalians and some Methodists–in a church.

Why would a homosexual couple want to sue to get married in a church that openly condemns them? Wouldn’t they want to be in a place of acceptance on the day they are professing their undying love for one another?

That fear has totally been drummed up by the conservative media, mainly talk radio and Fox news. It’s a baseless fear as the Government hasn’t made any laws curbing the Church from practicing the way it sees fits in the private sphere.

• John says:

Are you really that ignorant on the matter of Gay Marriage?? No one said Gay people WANTED to be married in a church. you can get married at your nearest courthouse, or at another destination i.e., beach, park, etc. the fact is now your distorting the issue by saying that the problem is christians don’t want homosexuals to marry in a church…really…Also the anger, hatred you speak of is the opinion of those individuals who have been stripped of the rights. While Christians take up the mantle that Mr. Cathy was speaking his opinion as protected under the freedom of speech. These individuals have every right to voice their opinions in whatever tone they see fit…. tell me how would you feel if you loved someone and couldn’t have a “marriage” as it pertains in the legal sense not the biblical sense, So they can benefit from the same rights as other legal partnerships. I would think you would feel disenfranchised, attacked, and upset.

As for the separation of church and state it is the best idea a country has ever adopted. Why would any religion want it any other way…

I think your delusional…I think ANY effect the boycott MIGHT have had…was negated ten fold in a single day. Second…those in your own community that believe Mr Cathy has a right to his opinion…are showing up tomorrow…BUYING food and kissing in the store….if the same people that showed up yesterday were to boycott all LGBT businesses in town….you would be screwed!

For me, being a “normal” (whatever that means), heterosexual, married, christian female, it was not about what Mr. Cathy said or even that he said it, but rather it is about what he does with the money that I spend at his establishment. He is granted under our wonderfully crafted constitution the freedom of speech as we all are. It was also not a surprise to me (or anyone else I’m sure) that he believes in the biblical definition of marriage. It is no secret that Chick-fil-a is a Christian centered company, again no problem with that either. But to go beyond that and donate money, my money, to organizations that teach, justify and encourage intolerance, bigotry and ignorance (such as pray away the gay) is where I draw the line. That is in direct conflict with my core beliefs of love, tolerance and acceptance of all. Just as Mr. Cathy has the right to speak his mind and spend the money tolerant open-minded patrons give to his business I have the right to spend my money elsewhere and that’s what I intend to do. I know I’m in the minority but that’s ok at least I’ll have peace of mind and that’s worth a whole lot more than a chicken sandwich.

• Constitutional says:

I am delusional that the right to protest/assemble is in the First Amendment just as the right to free speech is? Perhaps I misread the First Amendment…you may be right…

Let me check:

Nope…seems to be there. Guess I read it right. I find it interesting that in your response you assumed that I was part of the LGBT community. The LGBT community has plenty of support within the straight community. And beyond that, I didn’t express support for anything other than people exercising their First Amendment rights, which I believe everyone supports, since everyone is claiming this is a First Amendment issue, not a gay/straight issue (which it is, of course).

But since we’re on the topic, marriage rights are obviously a 14th Amendment issue:

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

If you’re so keen on protecting the exercise of someone’s rights according to the constitution, please explain how creating laws which prohibit gays and lesbians from getting married doesn’t “abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens” or “deny to any person…the equal protection of the laws”. If you can explain, that would be great.

• 1981duke says:

Chick Fil-A stock would be SOARING.
    Congrats for taking the “proper and correct” position.

This is to all the gays out there…I have met Mr Cathy, he and his restaurants is one of the finest in the nation. He is one of the only men that I have heard of that will take a stand for what he believes in and his Christian beliefs. For the past few years the gays and lesbians have been trying to shove it down our throats. That is wrong! It is forced in our faces all the time. But we are just supposed to accept it. Our founding fathers of this great country we live in would roll over in their graves if they knew what was going on. This great country of ours was founded on Christian beliefs. THE BIBLE SAYS A MARRIAGE IS BETWEEN ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN. IF YOU CHANGE WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS YOU HAVE A ONE WAY TICKET TO HELL. SO TO ALL YOU GAYS AND LESBIANS WATCH OUT BECAUSE YOU ARE IN THE WRONG. SO WITH ALL THAT SAID, THANK YOU MR. CATHY FOR TAKING A STAND…KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND THE NORMAL AMERICANS WILL SUPPORT YOU!

• taxpayer says:

is not a publicly traded company. However, the value of our “stock”…as in the “stock” of us who are opposed to a taxpayer-funded baseball stadium IS soaring.

• Michael Thompson says:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people can get so worked up over the most bizarre things.

The owner of a private company expresses an opinion to which he is entitled, never once says anything about denying service to anyone based on their sexual preference, and he and his company are set upon and put up for public ridicule as if they were murdering babies. It is beyond me. Whatever happened to free speech? Oh wait, that’s only for those who support gays, lesbians, transsexuals, transgenders, and cross-dressers and all the rest.

• PoochPerfect says:

I rode by the Chick-fil-A at Monkey Junction, and I was horrified at the line of morbidly obese waiting thier chance to chow down on fried chicken.

These people–real porkers– are all worked up over gay marriage; instead, they should put a little effort in restraining their gluttonous appetites.

Gluttony, folks, is one of the seven deadly sins.

Preachers, it’s time for you to raise the hackles of your fat congregants. Preach a sermon on the SIN of Gluttony!

• tracy 1234 says:

wow…. the last I check they have salads and fruit too – your just being silly…

People…take note of how liberals react when their ideals are NOT your ideals…they attack…your a racist…your a bigot…your a fatty…

• PublicAvenger says:

And I was one of those fatties. I agree with you, and Rosanne. How dare a Christian speak out for Christian values ? I guess you’re only entitled to speak your mind, if you agree with Obama, and abortion, or Elton John, and his “partner” adopting a child.

• YUYUNANA says:

Amen! PoochPerfect! Amen! Amen! Amen!

The disgusting sight of seeing all those fatties in line at Chic-fil-your-belly-fil-A almost made me experience temporary blindness.

People, come to your senses!

There are a too many morbidly-obese GLUTTONS in Wilmington, and they’re lining up at a fast-food joint to express their hatred of a tiny minority of gay people

Fat people expressing their hatred of gays. That’s what the lines were all about.

Time for the fundamentalist preachers of Wilmington and surrounding areas to put on a HOLY GHOST REVIVAL AGAINST THE SIN OF GLUTTONY!

Perhaps Chick-fil-A will donate a little money for the rivival’s advertisement.

Spoken like a true liberal!

• guest 555444000 says:

OMG!!! Really??? Freedom of speech went to a fat people sermon. Skinny Idiot!!

Puhraise Jesus!

According to a recent study, the Baptists are the most obese of all the denominations.

I’ll pay for the tent if area Baptist preachers will put on this Holy Ghost Revival to cure Wilmington of rampant obesity and out-of-control gluttony.

People, put down your forks. Get a grip! Look in the mirror at your bloated faces. Say to yourself, “I’m a glutton.” Say it over and over until it registers.

Gluttony is a sin! A deadly sin! Stop your sinning now.

A HOLY GHOST REVIVAL AGAINST THE SIN OF GLUTTONY. Bring it on!

All that I have seen is purely disagreement with the homosexual lifestyle, not “hatred” as you describe multiple times in your post. As is typical with a minority, stand-alone group of misfits, you exxagerate disagreement and dislike by using the word “hatred” to describe the peoples emotions that oppose YOUR lifestyle.

I believe that if the truth be told, the majority would have sympathy for homosexuals along with their disagreement, certainly not hatred. You people shoot yourselves in the foot with your inappropriate and innaccurate assessment of those that oppose you, which usually indicates a fear. You are a very small minority of people with lifestyles that the vast majority do not agree with. With all of the votes, all of the polls and forums like this, you should be able to grasp that basic concept. The bad part about it is that it isn’t going to change within your lifetime, so get used to it.

Ok, I don’t understand why when someone speaks their mind and disagrees with the (left) right away they are WRONG. Mr. Cathy didn’t say they wouldn’t hire a gay person (that would have been wrong) he just said that was his Christian beliefs on marriage. Right away he is wrong and they want to boycott… Doesn’t he have the right under the first ammendment.. just like they do? How many places close down on Sunday? UM !! I can’t think of anyone else but Chick-Fil-A..

• Guest 2 says:

Unfortunately, you are very correct. There is no longer free speech for Christian Conservatives. When will this nation wake up? How much freedom do American citizens have to lose before we realize we’re now a socialist nation and that we need to reverse it?

• Not a Chicken Fan says:

Of course he has the right to say whatever he wants under the First Amendment, just as anyone who says he is “wrong” is also expressing their right to free speech. However, suggesting that those who say he is wrong are wrong to say it would be a suppression of that right.

You have the right to express yourself by eating Chick-Fil-A all you please, just as people have the right to protest against Chick-Fil-A–protest also being a right housed in the wonderful First Amendment.

Say what you will, and say it freely. But having a right doesn’t free you from consequences, and Mr. Cathy is feeling some of those consequences as others use their right to free speech and protest against him and his company. Isn’t America beautiful?

• Challengetheworld says:

The bank closes on Sunday. Mine is open on Saturday…

This whole thing was blown out of context by both sides. No matter which way I feel about the issue, the only thing done wrong was both sides thinking there was more to this statement then was actually said. He is among many to have a stance and an opinion and his company doesn’t discriminate so there was no wrong doing. It may hav been better said in private but regardless, people are entitled to an opinion.

• Robert Green says:

The chickens will come home to roost for the mayors of San FranSICKO , Philadelphia , DC and Boston and the LGBT community for attacking a Christian company finally taking a stand against these liberals.The “in your face” push promoted by these people goes against free speech, Christian values and capitalism by squelching the business’ expansion of these franchises in the above named cities. Including the gay issue in the Democratic platform , will make many undecisive people vote against the Socialist in the White House , who supports the LGBT community. The LAMESTREAM Media will most likely dismiss this day as bunch of Tea Baggers eating breakfast , lunch , and dinner. This ongoing assault on American companies from ” You didn’t build it” to ” we are going to shut you down because we disagree with your viewpoint ” is not going to pay your group any political dividends. The political rock star , Obama and the liberals are fading fast with their reckless agenda. The notion if you are against gay marriage , you are a bigot and if you are against Obama , you are a racist , is growing tiresome. America has seen the face of Socialism and the degradation of our society. They are not impressed. Amendment One lost by a 60/40 margin in N.C and hopefully this will be the margin Obama loses by in N.C. With the Catholic Church finally standing up to the Socialist on abortion and the rest of the Christian community rallying against social issues , we are ready for the fight!

How about a statement from our liberal , tax and spend Mayor , Billy ” Play Ball” Saffo ?

It’s not a gay/straight issue, it’s a freedom of speech issue.

I find it odd that a group wanting tolerance…is BEING intolerant… This WHOLE thing was about FREEDOM OF SPEECH…PERIOD! It should have come as NO SURPRISE that a CHRISTIAN based company stands for the biblical definition of marriage. I think Mr Burris is grandstanding here in saying that Chick-fil-a supports HATE…just like it would be ridiculous for me to say Target supports Christian HATE because they support things against Christian beliefs…I stand behind what I did today…bought food for the entire office from Chick-fil-a for breakfast AND lunch..and am picking up dinner for my family, where it’s a good time to explain WHY we are eating the food.

• Gods Child says:

So when is it okay to pick what part of the Bible to quote??? after that its says nations should not mix nore religions…. oh lets go back 50 years and tell whites and blacks they cant marry….

• BLOODSEEKER says:

I LOVE CHICK-FIL-A FOOD!THE BIBLE READS IN LEVITICUS 18:22 THOU SHALT NOT LIE WITH MANKIND,AS WITH WOMANKIND:IT IS ABOMINATION.ALWAYS WAS AND ALWAYS WILL BE THE TRUTH!IF YOU DISOBEY YOU WILL PAY!

• Suddenly Informed says:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God’s Law. I have learned a great deal from you. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I can now simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness – Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. Do you think a Mexican or Canadian slave would be a better purchase?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination – Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don’t agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? – Lev.24:10-16. Couldn’t we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God’s word is eternal and unchanging.

Kudos to Mike Huckabee and countless Americans for making Chick Fil A Appreciation Day an overwhelming success and affirming that the First Amendment is alive and well. This isn’t a political issue. This isn’t a moral issue. Either you believe in the First Amendment, or you don’t. Eat Mor Chickin!

• Pleased says:

I’m so happy to see your undying support of the First Amendment and its free exercise. Yesterday was definitely a wonderful day on the affirmation of our basic rights as laid out in the First Amendment.

I can’t wait to read your supportive comments on Friday when the LGBT community exercises their freedom to assemble and their freedom of speech as they stage a cross-country protest of Chick-Fil-A.

The beauty of the First Amendment expressed so perfectly twice in one week? It can’t be a better time for those of us who love our Constitution and truly follow its precepts and believe that it applies equally to all citizens.

• Guess Again says:

No free speech for Christians? It must be amazing how over 70% of the country is suddenly completely silent…

Of course Christians have free speech–and let’s not even get into the argument about how some Christians are using their right to freedom of speech to support the gay and lesbian community or President Obama, because when you throw out a blanket term like “Christian” you aren’t just talking about the people in your denomination or in your local church….

You have freedom of speech wherever you go, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences for exercising it.

Are you free to write on this website about your own Christian views without fear of censorship? Are you free to create a blog or write a letter to the editor or make your own newspaper where you put all of your personal beliefs about this country out for anyone to read? Is Mike Huckabee free to have his own TV show where he spouts his own personal Christian and Republican beliefs? OF COURSE, but don’t expect everyone to agree with you, and don’t expect everyone to silently let you say what you want to say.

Because we have the freedom of speech, you are free–just as every Christian is free–to say anything you want to say, just as anyone else is free to say that you are wrong or that your opinion is stupid or that you are a bigot. That’s what freedom is.

Freedom of speech dies when you can’t say what you want, when someone censors you, when you get thrown in prison for saying certain things, and that HAS happened in our country’s history–those accused of being Communists or who were actual Communists were thrown in jail for voicing their political views, for instance. Last I checked, Cathy’s remarks have been all over the news. Everyone has heard what he had to say. How is his freedom of speech dead?