Pedestrian hit and killed on Highway 17 in Hampstead

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 08/14/2012 - 4:09pm
Updated: Tue, 08/14/2012 - 5:33pm

HAMPSTEAD, NC (WWAY) — A pedestrian was hit and killed after he walked in front of a car on Highway 17 in Hampstead Monday night.

Highway Patrol says Phillip Lorusso, 61, of Hampstead, was hit around 8:30 p.m. Lorusso was taken to New Hanover Regional Medical Center, where he later died.

Troopers say the driver of the car will not be charged.

• anne says:

I am sorry – I got confused by the headline. I thought the car was walking down the road!

SMART A–. DON;T YOU KNOW ENOUGH THAT CARS CAN’T WALK?

• JoAnn D says:

Why can people just watch out theses pedestrain who are walking down,
    on side of rd or hwy in rual(back country)outside of wilmington.
    I use to walk on side of rd here in wilmington.I quit doing it.
    PS.The people should turn them self in when this does happen.
    Other people should write about this.

JoAnn

• Russell says:

You comment on a story that gives no details other than a pedestrian was hit while walking on the side of the road. We don’t know if they were walking with traffic or against traffic. We don’t know if they were wearing bright colors or dressed in black. We don’t know if they stumbled into the traffic lane or remained on the side of the road. To assume the driver wasn’t watching out and to also assume that the driver did not stop at the scene is total and complete ignorance on your part! Once more information is released as to the cause of the pedestrian being hit I will be able to make an informed comment about the story, I would suggest that you do the same.

• 775 says:

This stretch of highway is not rural by any means. The incident occured just after the intersection of highway 210 near the CVS which is a very busy part of 1. There is not much room to walk on the side of the road, but people continue to ride there bikes and walk day after day. We do not know if the victim had bright clothes on versus dark clothing. So,If you read the story correctly,the driver stayed at the scene and will not be facing charges as it has been stated above.

• BillO says:

JoAnn, Hwy. 17 in Hampstead is not a “rural” stretch of highway in any sense of the word. It is a major traffic corridor and has traffic running on over 4 lanes at speeds in excess of 70 mph. Now, knowing that area of Hwy. 17, I could easily jump to as many conclusions as you have and make claims like “why are drunk crack heads allowed to walk down the side of the road?”. The article doesn’t say anything about the victim being a crack head or drunk but…let’s just assume wildly like you have. Walking down the side of Hwy. 17 is not the same as taking a casual stroll along say, Sloop Point Rd. If you suddenly stroll out in front of vehicles going in excess of 50 mph or fall in front of them then bad things are going to happen.

• mj says:

Do you even live around this area? people are not driving at 70 mph in that area….speed limit is 45 and yes some do push the 55 mph limit but certainly not 70

• Tim says:

It clearly states “after he walked in front of a car on Highway 17 in Hampstead Monday night.”

How can you automatically blame driver?

• carrie pieper says:

The driver did stop because the highway patrol said that the driver was not going to be charged which means that the driver was not drunk; cause they would surely give the driver a alcohol test, and like you said the pedistrian walked right in front of the car at night.

• Dolls says:

Look 17 the road to Jacksonville is 55 but u can do. 60. It’s not 45 only in certain areas ..
    That’s unfortunate that happened but I don’t walk highways like that anyways.

• Jess says:

Phillip LoRusso was my Father. He was well loved and will be missed by many people, maybe none more than me……

• Steve says:

I cross that road almost every day in a car, I think Id have a hard time crossing it on foot. I think it is safer in a car. Phil is gone but he will never be forgotten! Ride brother ride