Charlotte policeman cleared in suspect’s death


Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 08/21/2012 - 11:32am
Updated: Tue, 08/21/2012 - 11:36am
By:

CHARLOTTE, NC (AP) – Prosecutors say a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer will not be charged in the shooting death of a suspect last month.

District Attorney Andrew Murray says the deadly force used in the July 2 shooting death of 28-year-old Michael Deangelo Laney was justified.

Murray says there is no indication that Officer A.J. Holzhauer acted improperly during the arrest attempt.

Laney was suspected of an attempted armed robbery and shooting in June.

Another officer had spotted Laney on July 2 and the officer and Holzhauer tried to arrest the suspect. The officers said Laney tried to pull a gun before he was shot in the head and killed outside his home in Charlotte..

Laney’s relatives have said police overreacted.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!