RALEIGH, NC (AP) — An appeals court has upheld a lower court decision that says North Carolina cannot deny at-risk children admission to the state’s pre-kindergarten program.
A three-judge panel of the Court of Appeals ruled unanimously Tuesday against attorneys for the state who argued a Superior Court judge went too far in throwing out legislative changes last year to the North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten program.
Those changes included limits on the number of children considered at-risk that could be served and required some co-payments for the free program.
Appeals Court Judge Rick Elmore wrote that state attorneys misinterpreted the order to mean legislators must provide pre-kindergarten to all at-risk 4-year-olds in North Carolina. Elmore said the order was about eliminating artificial barriers to enter the program.
The Legislature dropped those limitations this year.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)