SEAL who wrote bin Laden raid book with StarNews editor identified

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 08/24/2012 - 8:54pm
Updated: Fri, 08/24/2012 - 10:52pm By:

KIMBERLY DOZIER
AP Intelligence Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy SEAL who wrote about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden under a pseudonym is Matt Bissonnette, who retired from the Navy last summer.

Bissonnette is from Virginia Beach, VA. He was first identified by Fox News.

One current and one former US military official confirmed the name, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss military personnel matters.

The book, titled “No Easy Day,” and co-written with StarNews local news editor Kevin Maurer, is scheduled to be released Sept. 11 under the pseudonym Mark Owen. Penguin Group (USA)’s Dutton imprint, the publisher, asked news organizations Thursday to withhold his identity.

The book and the author’s name come during a time of debate over the possible damage to U.S. national security by leaks to the media.

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

• B M says:

If a duly elected CONGRESS will not stand up to this fake Commander and Chief why do you think anyone else would put their neck or career on the line?? What a joke!

• MrT says:

Ventura, now there’s a real mental giant. Your in over your head son.
    Review the previous posts. You won’t find the word stupid used?

First things first. There is no such thing as a stupid SEAL. Second…there is no such thing as a treasonous SEAL. You civilians with little to ZERO knowledge of SEAL team opertaions and protocol would do better to keep your traps shut and further obscure you obvious ignorance!!!

• GuestUSMC says:

As a former military person, I fully understand that many things said and done while on active duty “stay” there once out of service. This guy probably has visions of big money from books, interviews, movies, and such. Sounds like he sold us out. I think he has messed up. Was he not debriefed when he retired? I was.

• carrie says:

There is no like button.
    I give my thumbs up to this comment.

God bless our troops ALL of them.

• BeInformed! says:

If you truly care ALL of the troops that have served our country so admirably, then don’t vote for the party that is looking to gut the Veterans Administration (NOT a part of the Defense budget). Both current and former military personnel need both long-term physical and mental health care; IMO they have earned that care! The GOP talks about defense budget cuts in terms of supporting our troops but what they really are doing is supporting privately owned defense contractors who depend on our tax dollars. If you truly support ALL of our troops, you would take the GOP agenda and throw it in the trash where it belongs. Support our troops – ALL of our troops whether active duty or not. Vote for Obama. Otherwise you are just a brainwashed hypocrite.

• Guest:military mom says:

Dear “beinformed” , you have no clue what you’re ranting about. As the mom of a service man on active duty and the wife of a veteran, I disagree with everything you have said. I have skin in this game and I can tell you, the Obama administration has done more to harm our military than people will ever know, with full support of the Democrat party. I have no intention of voting Democtat ever again. I have voted split ticket in the past, but will not do so again.

• MrT says:

If your comment, that the Obama administration has harmed the military is true. Maybe you could site some examples of where the joint chiefs and the Sec. of Defense have made statements to support your point of view. Just because you have some kid in the army doesn’t make you any kind of expert on the status of our defense capabilities.

• Guest:military mom says:

The following is one of many things being investigated. This was the Secretary of State Robert Gates and also Diane Feinstein looking into leaks coming from the White House. There were only select people in the Situation Room when the Osama Bin Laden raid was going on, the leaks could have only come from someone in that room who knew what was going on. I never claimed to be an expert on anything, but I do pay attention and I don’t listen to the main stream media for my information, I do my own checking from a variety of sources. The safety of my son is very important to me, I could care less what the party is in office. You can’t see beyond your political bias and it doesn’t appear to me, you have an open mind that this could possibly be true.

• Jennifer says:

I couldn’t agree more!

• anne says:

I guess that the military spokesperson, who “are not allowed to discuss military matters” but confirmed the identify anonymously, is doing a good job also, huh.

Although I think this Seal showed poor judgement on what he did, and may be risking his life in doing so, is no different from our clueless leaders that leak information all the time. The only difference between them and him is that he put his name on it and they won’t because they are stinking cowards

• MrT says:

The government blocks the release. Surprising the CIA is a NO No!!

• Peyton Garrett says:

While not even knowing the contents of this book and what it may or may not reveal, I don’t think you do this under any circumstance. After speaking with my son, who happens to be in Afghanistan presently, He is livid. He says it is almost treasonous. Like MrT said, surprising the CIA is a no no.

• BM says:

what’s the problem, the Obama administration have been conveniently leaking classified materials since they took over, even BamBam took center stage on the Bin Laden assasination, that is 1 hit in my opinion the reasonable thing to have done is acknowledged he was dead but denied any and all involvement in it at all, for everybody’s good, but then there would have been no sensationalism.

…Had Bush been smart enough to stay out of Iraq and continue the pursuit of Bin Laden in Afghanistan he might have been in office for his capture/killing and then we’d have seen a display to put his Mission Accomplished Battleship appearance to shame. He would’ve smirked all over TV syaing “We got him thanks to my strategery” and you people would’ve eaten it up. He would’ve declared that day a National Holiday.

• Navy Mom says:

Seriously!! You put a target on this mans family. The terrorists will now be hunting down these people.

• Ken says:

I am in total agreement that this service mans name should never have been released and now the safety of he and his family may be placed in jerpordy. Ifurther am convienced that there are times when the media steps over the line and I think this is one of those times, however, let us lay the blame at the correct door step. While our local media, WWAY THE LOCAL FOX STATION and WECThave put it in their news, it was first released byFOX NEWS and it appears the remainder of the national media picked it up and ran with it. That having been said we should be careful not to lay the blame at the feet of our local media outlets. I am in np way making a defense on their behalf, however, they should not be blamed either for someone elses screw up.

• Das Weibstück says:

This man placed himself in jeopardy by writing this book. I hope he makes enough money off it to HIDE for the rest of his life.

• BeInformed! says:

So I guess a person’s pledge (both written and verbal) to his country means nothing anymore. Matt Bissonnette is in violation of US law and his actions in disclosing national security information should be treated as treason. Having worked in the Intelligence Community for 12 years, I am well aware (and consistently reminded) the penalties for disclosing classified material. Matt Bissonnette put the target on his own back and he needs to live with the consequences. I am glad he is now a former SEAL; his disclosures put every other soldier and civilian who is fighting for our freedoms at risk due to his reckless desire to grind an axe with his former Commander in Chief.

Check out this website before you speak of treason. OPSEC.COM

watch the video it’s made by ex-navy seals (retired) retired CIA snd very high ranking military officers..

• ron klecka says:

So you’ve already read the book and know for an absolute fact that it contains sensitive information? Seems you’re being a little quick to jump to conclusions

To use a well worn phrase, It’s bush’s fault.

I don’t remember Reagan ever placing any blame on Carter for the mess Carter got us in. Too bad obummer can’t stand on his own and fortunately he should be voted out shortly.

• B M says:

actually it’s BILL CLINTON’S fault, so is 9/11 is you believe Bin Laden was behind it, during Clintons terms Bin Laden was captured and offered to us, Bill was too busy chasing Monica and said we didn’t want him, so had he done his job, none of this would have taken place!

No, but to suggest that it’s Obama’s fault for anouncing that we killed Bin Laden instead of letting people think he was found dead is stupid.

Really…didn’t blame Carter??
    “The problems we inherited were far worse than most inside and out of government had expected; the recession was deeper than most inside and out of government had predicted. Curing those problems has taken more time and a higher toll than any of us wanted.”

“In the last six months of 1980, as an example, the money supply increased at the fastest rate in postwar history 13 percent. Inflation remained in double digits and Government spending increased at an annual rate of 17 percent. Interest rates reached a s taggering 21 1/2 percent. There were eight million unemployed.”

“First, we must understand what’s happening at the moment to the economy. Our current problems are not the product of the recovery program that’s only just now getting under way, as some would have you believe; they are the inheritance of decades of tax and tax, and spend”

“Now the budget deficit this year will exceed our earlier expectations. The recession did that. It lowered revenues and increased costs.”

Ronald Reagan 1982 State of the Union.

And show me where in those quotes the name “Carter” is mentioned?
    It does state postwar history, so that is all the time since the end of WWII.
    And then decades of tax and tax, and spend. Carter was in office for 4 years and 4 years doesn’t equal decades.
    The only close statement is “..problems we inherited were far worse..” and even still that doesn’t name Carter. Could that be a statement towards Congress?

• SurfCityTom says:

“People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”