FIRST ON 3: WAAV parts ways with Curtis Wright

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Thu, 08/30/2012 - 8:49pm
Updated: Thu, 08/30/2012 - 8:57pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Conservative talk radio host Curtis Wright no longer works at WAAV Radio, according to Program Director Mike Farrow.

Wright had been at the station for almost two years.

Before that, he was morning host at The Big Talker FM, but was fired in early 2010, and eventually replaced by Chad Adams.

Wright returned to the airwaves on WAAV several months later.

No word on the reason for Wright’s departure or his plans for the future.

• Michael Davenport says:

Wow, what a shock. A conservative talk show host who is a hypocrite. Let’s see: screeches the screed of morality and self-sufficiency, yet doesn’t even pay his own bills; screeches the screed of “get informed,” yet loudly and publicly spouts opinions that are woefully uninformed; and screeches the screed of patriotism, yet devotes all his waking energies to vomiting forth the most hysterical, unpleasant, divisive and national-fabric-ripping rhetoric imaginable. God in Heaven, good riddance Curtis!!!!!!!! (and to think the guy replaced Rhonda Bellamy, a veritable jewel in Wilmington’s cultural crown… sigh…. ) Tyler, please don’t be as uninformed, unpleasant and unhelpful as your predecessor.

Pantano doesn’t work!

• Michael Davenport says:

Wait a minute. Are you suggesting that that guy was not biased?!?!?!?! He was an embarrassment to journalism, and even more of an embarrassment to Wilmington. I can’t believe anyone listened to him and didn’t recognize him for what he unintentionally was: performance art, a parody.

• Twiddle Dee says:

My sister and I are loyal listeners. We enjoy Curtis and agree with his views. After reading so many comments, I’ve come to the conclusion, if you didn’t agree with him, and didn’t want to hear him, why tune in? That other station that we don’t listen to any more. You know the Chad station. We don’t listen to or WAAV. If I can
    find Curtis on the internet, he will have 16 listeners now. And you can bet, or maybe you’d better not because as soon as Curtis’ listeners find out where he is, they will tune in and listen…….

• BBCC says:

We are loyal listeners to Curtis for at least 5 years and will truly miss him. We moved out of state and still stayed in touch with the area through Curtis’ commentary through the internet. I agree with the below positive comment of his unwaivering conservative values, informing us with common ideas and thoughts and Curtis’ commitment to his family, friends, community and our nation.
    WE WILL BE SEARCHING FOR CURTIS’ NEXT RADIO STATION HOME. MISS YOU, CURTIS. Protect our 1st amendment right!!This move of Liberal Media illustates the treatment of us conservatives!

• Independent says:

Don’t know what was going on with WAAV’s signal this morning…no audio. Strictly silence…which was preferable to Curtis Wright.

Now, “Tired of Libs”…I hate to burst your bubble, but I lean right and consider myself a fiscal conservative. It’s just that I can see through both extremes brand of lies and refuse to swallow them like bait. An independent means I can think for myself and determine truth and common sense…unlike birdbrain simpletons who can’t muster an original thought unless it is the party line. If you can’t deviate from hardline party platform on conservative issues, why do you even have a brain. It’s apparent you can’t think for yourself. (Hmmm…Curtis says this…then this must be how to think.)

Useful idiots are everywhere, and apparently both sides have them.

• LibertyMinded says:

You are the example of why Curtis was so strident in his views, and his beliefs. We, and you, can do much better than we are doing. Have you ever had a parent or teacher that KNEW you could do better, and would get frustrated when you didn’t? But, alas, mediocrity had obviously taken over.

• doug says:

Always found it funny how his introduction called him the lone tough talker but whenever someone called up with an opposing point of view he would hang up on them and insult them when they could not respond. Not very tough. The last time I called into his program he was slamming Whitney Houston after her death calling her a horrible person. I asked him what his opinion of Rush Limbaugh was during his time in rehab. He hung up on me the second I asked that question and went into a long rant that if I listened to his show I would have heard his thoughts about Rush, and I obviously did not listen to his show because he is on 4hrs a day 5 days a week. The problem was that Rush had his drug issues in 2003 and Curtis did not come to Wilmington until 2006. Really doubt that Curtis brought this subject up on his show 3 years after it happened. By the way I sent a message via Facebook bringing up those facts, still waiting for a response from the tough talker.

• Jean B. GodwinGuest says:

What bad timing for this major loss to Wilmington. With all the bias news reporting, it was good to have Curtis to research and clarify. What a mess talk radio has become! I’ll keep looking for you Curtis. J. Godwin

• doug says:

For your info the last few times I checked out Curtis he only had about 6 viewers watching his internet show. So I guess you, your sister and 4 others had nothing better to do during their day. Pretty soon he’ll be talking to himself.

• LGA says:

Only a leftist/socialist could make such ridiculous comments.

• Wilmington Observer says:

Who is Curtis Wright?

Wilmington Observer

• doug says:

How could you subject your customers to listen to Curtis? Not very good customer service to let them be subjected to such divisive, hateful radio. Would have made better tips keeping the radio off.I notice a while back on his internet show that had a record shattering 6 viewers his introduction was saying a “nicer gentler Curtis”.Or something like that. So will the real Curtis please stand up. Was your mean, rude radio personality an act?

• drabbit110 says:

Maybe he and Pantano can go into business together.

• Independent says:

Curtis Wright’s continual bombast made WAAV unlistenable during my morning drive. His show was full of demagoguery, conjecture, speculation, and half-truths. Many of his guests operated from the same premise. (I suspect his small loyal audience of dimwits look for affirmation, not information.)

When he did have command of a fact, it was hammered well beyond the point of interest. Anyone who has a broad experience of life can easily recognize his type. When you have three hours of opinion and no debate, you have exactly half the story on every issue. For idiots and shallow thinkers, it’s just easier this way.

I am always suspicious of the chicken-hawks who wrap themselves in the flag and patriotism… They like to call attention to themselves and seem to be compensating for something. Most (like Curtis) do it just for cheap political points.

Before his show, I always suspected he asked his wife to slap him for motivation and to set the tone…

Still, his skills are in demand in a nation full of fools…I’m sure there is a station out in Stumpjump Kentucky looking for just his kind.

• Guest 5000 says:

Maybe he will go back to CA and empty office baskets in the dark of night – you know; the place he claimed to be facilities manager.

• "Boo" says:

I’m glade to see that our radeo stations are geting rid of all this talk radeo that talks bad about our presdident! Thats all they use to do! everytime I would turn on my radeo during the day i would here nothing but peoples talking trash about our comander and chief! bye bye hateful people! next they need to get rid of rush limba!

• Cabbie28412 says:

I have been an ALL DAY listener of WAAV from 6am to 10pm since CW went on WAAV. I drive a Cab and my Customers heard the radio too. Many of the Cab Drivers listen to Curtis every morning. When Beck was knocked off, I considered SirusXM Radio, but stayed with WAAV for Curtis Wright. Now with CW gone, Im done with WAAV.

• Lynn Cadagin says:

Well…good luck with the “Liberal” leaning line-up… how’s that worked for radio in the past? I am another former listener that has changed my pre-sets. I used to leave it on 980 in my car almost all day.

• PublicAvenger says:

This guy was just not a very friendly fellow.

• Ted says:

Would like to know why he’s no longer at radio station, 980?

• Kyle Saltz says:

Curtis will be missed. He was truly a Conservative to look up to. He did more for the community then most will ever do in a lifetime. I am very sad to see him leave. I can see from a lot of these posts that the Radical Left people seem to enjoy this.

• Upset former WAAV fan says:

Sad tihs station is changing its programs like this move. Watch out Tyler is next. Tyler is the only reason I listen these days and then turn your channel off for the rest of the day and night! So sad!!
    Would love to hear Curtis Wright on any other station and then I would become loyal again!

• Phony Independent says:

Frankly, I don’t believe you know what you’re talking about concerning facts. What I do see from your email is a person who has no better vocabulary than to call someone else who does not agree with him a fool, and other very nasty characterizations of conservatives. Too Bad!

• doug says:

So does anyone know why he is nolonger on the radio? When he got fired from the FM station a big to do was made about it, the station talked about it and allowed callers to vent their feelings about his firing, Curtis even put out a press statement slamming the management of the station. This time it’s a small article that he is nolonger on the air. 980 will not take calls on the subject of Curtis, and Curtis has not realeased any press statement this time. So what gives. Were his ratings that low, did he piss off the wrong person or advertiser, was he sleeping with his bosses wife? I didn’t care for him I have many conservative views but I noticed when I called or someone else called with an oppossing point of view or opinion, he would be very rude with the caller and most the time would just hang up on them right away. I prefer programs that allowed discussion like Marti, Harvard, Rhonda, and Richard Davis would have, not rudeness and insults that Curtis provided. By the way his new web site show had a whooping 15 viewers.

• Tom says:

WAAV 980 radio has gone liberal, I knew when they put on that pinko liberal Geraldo Rivera. Huckabee is conservative but very boring. So what I do is listen to Rush Limbaugh on the Jacksonville station, that way I can boycott WAAV

• Royce Riggs says:

With Glenn and now Curtiss gone I only tune to the WAAV for Rush. Goodbye WAAV.

• GravyTrain says:

Curtis is out! Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Tiki Davis says:

Wilmington stations have become the problem. Hell with them.

• Tired of Libs says:

WOW!!! Isn’t it funny how the libs are so quick to consider people who don’t think EXACTLY as they do as something inferior to themselves. Heaven forbid that an opposing view could be expressed ANYWHERE much less on the airwaves!!! So WHAT if Curtis is abrasive in his approach. He is just like a lot of people on the conservative side, we’re tired of having to keep silent about how we feel. You libs are the IDIOTS who are willing to hand over this wonderful country of ours to the likes of barack obama and his cronies who want nothing more than to DESTROY it. If you don’t like listening to Curtis, I might remind you that they put options on those radios for a reason. If you don’t like what’s playing, then CHANGE IT!!! How stupid are you to keep listening to something that offends your delicate little pea brain???

• obummerdunce says:

This is why “peoples” like you remain ignorant. To the unlearned that means “stupid on purpose”.
    If you can’t bear to hear the truth, and truth talking doesn’t make sense to you then go back to the Kool-Aid!

• Guest Jeff says:

What a shame to see him go. They removed him and Michael Savage as well in Fayetteville. His chief replacement on the local front is a D.C. import who is little more than a Hollywood trivia master (same scurrilous crap I am incessantly bombarded each time I log onto the Internet) and–of course–Geraldo (what can I say?)

Just more liberal mind comtrol.

• Sherry says:

Tyler Cralle is the next to go!

• Chester Starling says:

Our whole family no longer likes your lineup other than Rush Limbaugh. First Glenn Beck then Curtis Wright are removed – Our Family will be moving on also I guess conservative values are just not a part of this stations values Goodby Waav 980…

• 1981duke says:

This type of show has a short life.

• Brian says:

I’ve been a LONG time listener of Wright and I appreciated his appreciation for the constitution and standing up for the American way and alot of the people who bash him and actually think our president is even doing half of a decent job then get educated and get your head out of your a$$ and turn the TV from football or basketball every once in a while and see what this man has truely done to this country and I am one who used to listen to The Big Talker all day then I went to 980 for half the day and now I no longer listen to either. You guys are truely heading south and I promise your thought that you can take away conservitive talk shows and make anything out of liberal talk! They are so scripted and boring and one sided it is pathetic and the radio waves in Wilmington are turning into a socialist wave like our tv channels already are and news (or No News) paper. Good luck, I’ll just tune in with my iPhone and screw the trash radio in this town!

How’s that working out for them now. Chad is the only local program and to make it worse they removed the 2 other decent shows on the air in Hannity and Mark Levin (Thank God for XM Radio) so now I have no reason to even tune to 93.7 I can just remove it from my presets completely.. That whackjob Dave Ramsey who’s deluding people into thinking you can live life without any credit rating is doing people a disservice. I agree you shouldnt run up massive debt credit cardwise but reality is debt is unavoidable in this life unless your a trustfund baby and inherit a bunch of money. The key is to show responsibilty and be reponsible. Even Clark Howard would cringe at Ramsey’s comments about credit cards being evil when in fact CCs offer tons more protection then any debit card. Somebody steals your debit card or you get into a dispute with a merchant you have sometimes little to no recourse unlike with a CC.. Sorry Dave but your dead wrong on many things.

• Credit Card Debt Free says:

I live without credit card debt I am much better off financially after living Dave’s plan. Hopefully one day you can be debt free too, but it won’t happen with that attitude.

I agree with you 100%. I stopped listening when they took off Neil.. and I already did take them off preset …
    I don’t know what their prograsm director was thinking, but they are losing listeners.. Everyone that I have spoken with said the same thing.. they all stopped turning into the big talker..

Oh well thats Wilmington for you

• ytrame says:

I stopped listening to 980 when Ronda Belamy and Harvard Jennings vanished. I love the new big talker! Sean Hannity is worse than Curtis Wright, but I do miss Clark Howard.
    Dave Ramsey is a great show and helps many people get right with their money and life. I live without debt and love it!

Hopefully Curtis will fade from the radio world never to be heard from again.

I saw Curtis with 2 people at The College Diner on S College yesterday at lunchtime. (Couldnt help but hear him his mouth was running non-stop basically). I wonder if the lunch meeting had something to do with his leaving the station. While I may not agree with 100% of what he says (although I do agree with most) you have to admit the guy stands for his convictions and beliefs unlike alot of people in this town who are spineless sponges.

• Sponge Bob says:

Standing for your convictions may be an admirable quality…but that doesn’t mean your convictions are always right. Hitler stood for his convictions. Nobody could accuse Hitler of being spineless.

Now…I’m not comparing one with the other, just illustrating a point. There are all sorts of fools, evil, short-sided, and blustery folks who “stand on their convictions.”

For a number of years, I sat on a panel which evaluated people for a great responsibility. If they passed the panel (made up of a number of subject matter experts) they would go on to positions of great responsibilty where they would be in charge of the lives of many individuals with serious responsibilities.

Every now and then, a candidate would come in full of conviction. He would be asked a series of questions on a variety of subjects.
    Many of them were, as I labeled them, confidently wrong. They were confident they knew answer and would try to bulldoze or bluster you. Many were quite confident in themselves.

The best candidates were the ones that didn’t always know the answer and didn’t try to buffalo you, but indicated they would go try and find the answer and give you a sense of where they would go to look.

Curtis Wright wouldn’t have passed. He knows the answer…and he is often wrong, but confidently so.

• Sponge Bob says:

Tom_in_Shallote

“Obviously, you’re from the sticks…” Pot, meet kettle. (Shallote, really?)

Just because some idiom shows up on Urban Dictionary.com doesn’t mean it is less true. I think you may have missed the point entirely.

• Tom_in_Shallotte says:

Obviously, you’re from the sticks…and have never heard of the ‘Hitler Rule’. It’s been out there appx 10-15 years.

• Guest 101 says:

Wow…WAAV did listen?! In my opinion Curtis Wright is a anti-American unChristian illmannered lowbrow. You’d have to be a real knuckle-dragger to tune in and listen to his daily paranoid rants and insults. I hope he packs up and moves away, he’s symtomatic of what’s wrong with society now-a-days. I much preferrred the old show with Harvard that actually “discussed” subjects and worked towards a solution.

• Guesty 1 says:

I agree. Curtis W is a blight to the community. He couldn’t hold his own in a civil debate with much of anybody with average smarts. All he could do was insult, name call or hang-up?? I mean who tunes in for a show like that?! If you heard one show you pretty much heard them all. I’m glad WAAV finally fired him, perhaps I’ll start listening again. Btw, I’m guessing by the silence on both parts that this must involve something. He may have crossed the line with some of his hate speech or “suggested” the wrong thing about the wrong person?

• Daniel A says:

Bring Harvard back!!!!

• RSimmons says:

don’t let the screen door catch your butt on your way out of town!

• 357sig says:

Well, at least we still have Tyler Cralle. Has anyone notice Smerconish makes Cralle sound smart? Thats how far Big Talker has fallen.

• Stanley says:

Just a CW wannabe. Maybe they should have got rid of them both.

• Stanley says:

What is going on? First the Big Talker dumps all of it’s good shows except one. Now WAAV seems to be going in the same direction. I did not care for Curtis but at least he was local. Really have no reason to listen to local radio these days other than Chad Adams. Maybe one of the stations that doesn’t have much of a listener base might want to go into talk radio. Wilmington is wide open for a good talk radio station. They could call themselves “THE REAL BIG TALKER”.

• Bob T. says:

Thank you for removing Hatred and Hitler from the Air Waves
    980 should hold its hea high.
    Maybe news and music

I am listening to 980 once again
    Keep up good work policing the garbage

rrt