make WWAY your homepage  Become a fan on facebook  Follow us on twitter  Receive RSS Newsfeeds  MEMBERS: Register | Login

Camp LeJeune Marine shoots wife, kills himself


BERMUDA RUN, NC (AP) - Authorities say a U.S. Marine based at Camp LeJeune shot and critically injured his wife before killing himself in front of his parents' home.

Davie County Sheriff Andy Stokes says the body of 26-year-old Kirk Harris of Jacksonville was found in his parents' driveway about 6:30 a.m. Sunday. Deputies found his wife across the street with gunshot wounds. She was in intensive care Sunday afternoon at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

Stokes says the two had been arguing before the shooting. Harris' parents were not home. The couple had been staying there over the weekend. Deputies say they met there when he was on leave.

Authorities say Harris had recently returned from Afghanistan. The couple had been married for about a year.

Disclaimer: Comments posted on this, or any story are opinions of those people posting them, and not the views or opinions of WWAY NewsChannel 3, its management or employees. You can view our comment policy here.


Prayers for Family, Friends, Fellow Marines, all Service persons

What a tragedy all the way around. It breaks my heart that this man was mentally to a point where he felt this was his solution. I pray for the recovery of his wife, and for all of his family who must cope with this awful situation.

The military does not do

The military does not do nearly enough to "de-stress" our troops when they return home. I blame them as much as anyone in a situation like this.

How were our troops...

"de-stressed" when they returned from WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam?

They didn't "de-stress" anyone!

My father was a career and retired USAF Master Seargent, fought in WWII and Korea. Became a POW and was tortured for about 6 months during the Korean "conflict". As a child growing up in our household, I was exposed to my father screaming at the top of his lungs during the middle of the night. This happened at least three nights a week all of my life and it was terrifying for me as a child. He carried all of those memories with him and they came out in his dreams at night. He was an avid deer and rabbit hunter in his youth. After that experience, he never hunted another animal again, ever. He told me that while eluding capture, he was hunted and treated like an animal. Nobody ever touched him while he was in his sleep. He would rarely if ever discuss what he experienced. When I saw him for the last time at the funeral home, one of the first things I noticed were the deep scars on the temples of his head. He got those after he was captured from the rifle butts of our enemies. Even after all of those years and that heavy funeral parlor makeup, the scars were still there. I'm sure the ones on the inside were as well.