Butler attacks Goolsby with transvaginal wand

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Thu, 10/11/2012 - 8:57pm
Updated: Fri, 10/12/2012 - 4:48pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A new ad in the race for state Senate District 9 is grabbing people’s attention. Deb Butler’s new ad says incumbent Republican Sen. Thom Goolsby is trying to follow women into the doctor’s office.

In the new television ad, Butler discusses the use of a transvaginal wand and how Goolsby’s policies play into a medical exam.

“I’m Deb Butler, and I think we need to have a candid conversation about what Thom Goolsby’s policies mean for North Carolina women,” Butler says in the ad, which is getting national attention.

In the commercial, the Democratic challenger shows a transvaginal wand, which an instrument used to do ultrasounds early in a pregnancy. Butler says Goolsby says he wants limited government, but his support for a law requiring women to get an ultrasound before an abortion goes against that.

“Somebody coming in between you and your physician is not limiting government,” Butler said. “I mean, if there’s anything in life that is personal and private, it’s that.”

Goolsby say Butler is too liberal for North Carolina. He says Butler has no plan for North Carolina and is only working on surprising voters.

“All the things that I’ve done in Raleigh, and they’re all available, you know what they are, and the fact of the matter then is to just run shock value ads,” Goolsby said. “Well, that’s what Occupy Wilmington does, and none of that surprises me from their lawyer.”

Butler says Goolsby’s criticism is just a distraction.

“If he were proud of the legislation, I suppose he would be talking about that, when instead he’s talking about my community service,” she said. “Yes, I represented Occupy Wilmington and their rights of free speech, their constitutionally-protected rights of free speech, assembly, and I’ll do it again and again and again.”

Goolsby says he stands beside all the legislation he’s support. He says instead of focusing on butler’s ad, which is bringing her donations from across the country, he will focus on creating jobs.

• “Butler attacks Goolsby with transvaginal wand”

Still giggling. Oh the insanity that runs rampant during the stressed out political season. Too much not to laugh with it.

• NC is My Home says:

Don’t be mistaken….Berger won ONLY due to the 2010 rush by the Republicans who demonstrated that they were unable to not vote a straight ticket……the most polarizing and scary party out there….Brian, the love child from 2010.

• Guesttseug says:

Boseman II

. . . remember this when you VOTE! Not just for the senate seat, but for ALL of your votes.

Yes. The Republicans Straight party voting gave you in New Hanover Brian Berger and us in Brunswick Charles Warren. Well done Republicans

• Guest 1949 says:

Who is going to speak for that baby that may be thrown out like so much rubbish? Someone needs to be a voice for a baby that can’t do it themselves. If I want a baby, I know how to get one. If I don’t, I also know how NOT to get one. Why not take responsibility for your body and don’t have unprotected sex until you DO want that baby – or don’t have sex. Then, you don’t need to worry about having an abortion. That’s what I did, and you know what? It really works!!!!

• Guest1971 says:

I’ve seen this ad on television several times…

1. She never identifies what the device she is holding is. At first I thought it was some kind of odd sex toy. In the course of over 20 years of gynecological exams and 2 pregnancies I have never seen this device.

2. She never mentions the word abortion in the ad. Obviously she is not that proud of her pro-choice stance.

3. Why is she airing this ad on Fox News – the viewers of that network are not going to vote for her.

• GuestofReason says:

One can argue the merits of legislation, on the merits. One can hold strong beliefs and opinions on either side of an issue.

However, in my opinion, introducing a medical instrument as a prop intended to shock contradicts the sober qualities of a leader and a legislator. By her actions, she has given lie to the notion that she is qualified to serve as a representative of the people of this district.

We need leadership, not stunts.

• GuestMan. says:

Maybe you should take your own advice about engaging the brain, yo9u know? They got here because of abortion?
    I suppose you are proub of your semi-illiteracy.

• oppwrite says:

I think I understand how Berger won…

• B M says:

Butler you are a disgusting individual, when you proubly represent a group like Occupy when they are raping women and dumping in public, it’s obvious you would stand for anything and nothing at the same time, all Goolsby is trying to do is something yo9u have never done, ENGAGE BRAIN EFORE YOU ENGAGE “MOUTH”, there are times when you need to kick back from the table and take a few deep breath’s before you open mouth, maybe abortion is one of them, after all, it’s how you got here!!!!!! On second thought???

• solomon davidson says:

Big Brother Thom Goolsby wants to dominate every intimate aspect of women’s lives. That is because, Goolsby and his ilk are tyrants dedicated to tyranny and totalitarianism. Women should demand the freedom to decide when they bear children and never yield to those who want them to curtsy to the powers of totalitarian government.

• Anna says:

Hands down Deb Butler is right on! Goolsby’s got to go! He will not be getting my vote and good for Deb exposing this. It’s important that women know what’s at stake in their future. It’s unconscionable that Goolsby would even consider this. He needs to stay out of our doctors office and our uterus! I feel sorry for his wife and for any woman who supports him. They are bein dipped. What’s next you have to pick out a name and paint the nursery needle your abortion. Hey Goolsby: Abortion is legal and we are federally protected from this kind of outrageous disrespect. Goolsby is dangerous for women!

• Doc El says:

Best headline of the year so far!!!

• Guest 10101 says:

I know this is an emotional issue but that’s a bit over the top.

If Goolsby and his “ilk” were “dedicated” to tyranny and totalitarianism I highly doubt they would have passed a bill that stopped Wilmington in its tracks from continuing their heinous policy of forced annexation. That truely was tyranny and totalitarianism.

• frontpaige says:

A cheap shot, and really, this ‘war on woman’ cry is the cheapest shot of all.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Do you think that she can wait ten minutes to see what it looks like before she kills it?

I already said that I’m pro-choice. It IS her decision. That doesn’t mean she gets a free pass on the reality of what she’s contemplating. She needs to step up to the plate and say, “Yes, that’s my child on that ultrasound but I need to kill it.”

• don squires says:

I feel like no man should not make decision on a women health issue especially on things they can’t experience

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…is exactly what her Occupy clients do regularly. Interview one and you hear Karl Marx. Interview the next and you hear Abbie Hoffman.

The simple fact is that you are judged by the company you keep. Butler has aligned herself with the Occupy movement. Communist or Anarchist, she’s a dangerous radical and we don’t need her in Raleigh.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

…wake up with fleas. I would have thrown the Occupy cocroaches out of my office.

• Commonsensenotcommontoday says:

Look lady, I’m pro-choice and I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with requiring a woman to see that baby before she decides to murder it.

Your resume speaks for itself, Butler. Occupy Wall Street? You’re obviously an anarchist or a Communist. Either way, adios.

• Guestman. says:

Everyone in the U.S. is entitled to legal representation and are entitled to their own opinions. Anarchists and communists are two very different things but I doubt you know that. To you, those are words you have heard and obviously have no idea what they mean, especially in this context. Try on the word fascist, which in this context is used for someone trying to suppress another’s rights, or in essence, a bully. It is much more relevant to this conversation.

Well, an I do see something wrong with REQUIRING an unneeded medical proceedure. That does nothing to bring down medical cost, or for my confidence in the Goolsby’s interest in focusing on jobs. This is an important issue and should be brought to spotlight.

Representing a case for Occupy Wall street doesn’t make someone an anarchist. Heck, being in it wouldn’t make someone an anarchist.

Either way, I am happy that Butler is speaking on this issue.

• Guestaliban says:

Keep women down where they belong I say! No abortion unless it baby girl!!!

• Shaun O'Rourke says:

I love when stupid people throw out lines like anarchist and communist. These are the same fire bomb throwers that think the President is from Kenya. If you are going to call someone out….stand by your remarks and post your real name. Something tells me you won’t. That is why people dismiss statements like yours. You only have the smallest amount of courage to just throw a grenade and run. Your a coward.

• Das Weibstück says:

Women already know what a FETUS looks like, showing it on a screen is redundant. Are you willing to pay for this government required service with your tax dollars?

• smagdown1112 says:

oh, and comments coming from someone who doesn’t have a vagina IS
    TOTAL CRAP! Grow a vagina, then you can comment on government forceable
    rape!

• CommonSense says:

Calling Deb a anarchist is so absurd. It only exposes how little you know of Governmental systems. Anarchist is without hierarchy, communism is with extreme class hierarchy. Placing the two together is like placing al qaeda and Iran together. It makes no sense to those who understand logic. Though, in your defense, common sense does not cover in-depth analysis of political ideological beliefs.

No man has the right to dictate to a woman what she HAS TO DO with her body. Geez, are you living in a cave somewhere? You may be shocked to find out women have rights now especially regarding their own body. Join the 21st century. I think you are probably a control freak and I think you probably RULE THE ROOST in your home. I hope you aren’t married. . if so. . your poor wife has my symphathy.

• Guesttoo says:

Epic fail, Chuckles. Your credibility just went away in a poof of (very) hot air. IF you were truly pro-choice, you’d be in favor of a woman having the option of viewing an ultrasound before making a decision. Requiring (forcing) a woman to see an ultrasound is NOT pro-choice.

I hit the floor laughing even before reading the story. Jeez, was that the best you could do WWAY?

• Guest55555hjuio says:

but funny as it wouldn’t seem beyond the realm of possibility. Is Butler as angry a person as she seems? Also, she’s ran for what…city council, county commissioner and state senate? Did I miss any? Will any ol’ office do? Does she have a passion for a specific role/goal or does she just want power via any reasonably attainable elective office?

• 8675309jenny says:

Forcing a woman to have an ultrasound before abortion to make her change her mind is useless. The doctor is not going to FORCE a woman to view an ultrasound. Besides…Im pretty sure most women probably have an ultrasound before abortion anyhow…for diagnostic purposes.

I think that a woman should have all information in front of her before she decides to murder her baby. Having an ultrasound will humanize that baby. If making women have ultrasounds saves one innocent life then it is worth it. The bottom line is that if you do not want a baby then make your choices before you do what it takes to get pregnant.

• jessica cannon says:

As a physician, these images do not bother me, but I can see how they would be rather, umm, surprising form some. They may also be surprised to know their Republican representative voted to require private citizens to undergo unnecessary invasive medical procedures. Whether you are pro-choice or pro-life, you should be against this law that Goolsby voted in favor of.

• R.F. says:

Thanks to WWAY for exposing fringe elements of the Democratic Party, let’s hope other local media outlets do the same.

Personally I cannot wait to vote on Nov 6th and reduce Deb Butler to small asterisk in the political history of NC.

• Vog46 says:

They should take the transvaginal wand and insert it into the male politicians rectums to see, from the inside, if the have the guts to lead.
    Of course someone will yell foul and it will never happen.
    The GOP promised their state house session would be all about jobs jobs jobs and nothing else.
    And here we are talking about vaginal wands…….

Vog

You idiot. I definately have a female body. What in the name of common sense would lead you to think I don’t?? Idiot