Camera footage shows anti-ballpark sign being stolen from man’s property

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 10/16/2012 - 12:56am
Updated: Tue, 10/16/2012 - 1:42am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Wilmington man thought he was safe displaying an anti-ballpark campaign sign on his property, but was surprised to find the sign missing over the weekend.

Bill Buck says he did not expect his “vote no stadium tax” sign to be stolen. He also did not expect to catch the crime on tape.

“It was right by my lamp post, and about 9:30 Saturday night, somebody pulled up in front of the house,” Buck said.

Footage from his home security camera shows a car pulling up in front of his house. Someone gets out of the car, walks slowly to the sign, pulls it from the ground and runs back to the car and drives off.

Buck says he feels violated. “Somebody is just willing to walk on your property and just take something for maybe something they believe differently,” Buck said. “It just doesn’t make any sense.”

Buck plans to get several more of the vote no signs and put them in his yard. He says this incident won’t stop him.

• ADT says:

Buck, you should feel violated that your security services suck. You can not even see who or what was at your front yard, let alone the crime!!

• Ryan says:

Stealing is wrong. Doesn’t matter if its a campaign sign or a car. It’s wrong. What’s also wrong about this is that mr. Bucks first amendment was taken from him. If this is a sample of the times to come then I vote to taking the law into our own hands. If someone comes on your property, shoot them

• Guestarticulatore says:

For certain! I for one would favor a law that would ban political litter (errr ahhhhh “signage”) from all public rights of way along with the elimination of the exemption from the prohibition of “robo-calling” that our esteemed politicians enjoy.

Also, Vog46, I thank you and SurfCityTom for your many hours of work in exposing the real nature of this Mandalay baseball misadventure. You were both spectacular in keeping the light shining on this unacceptable risk being foisted on Wilmington’s taxpayers.

Great work! Thank you so much.

• VoteYes says:

I say we vote yes and get on with it. But yes, it’s not funny to steal.

You say vote yes, do you actually own any property within the city limits of Wilmington?

• Philip says:

I wish more people would take the time to stop their cars and pull up those signs. They are creating a chaotic visual landscape. They are everywhere, and they are litter. LITTER!

• Vog46 says:

No, I wouldn’t say funny. If the thief had stolen ALL political signs from a busy street corner I’d call the thief a hero but………

The point here is that the guy got out of a car and trespassed on private property and took something that didn’t belong to him.
    That’s disturbing

Vog

• Todd says:

Does anyone find this funny besides me? Come on.

• Wingtip says:

Excuse me? What exactly is funny about it? You find theft funny? You find disrespect for a person point of view funny? That to me, is a strange sense of humor and a strange value system.