33 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — New Hanover County Commissioners were expected to talk trash today, but by the end of their meeting, the trash talk was aimed at one of their own.

The commission agenda included talking again about Covanta taking over the old WASTEC facility, but it was Commissioner Brian Berger’s absence that caused a real stink.

Commissioners knew they’d have one empty seat at Monday’s meeting; the one that used to belong to Ted Davis, who recently resigned to take a seat in the state legislature. They thought they might have another, because Commissioner Jason Thompson just had surgery. But it turned out to be another chair that wound up empty.

“As of this morning, I called the chairman just to make sure they didn’t need me, and he said Commissioner Berger hadn’t even picked up his package as of this morning over at the county offices, and looked like he wasn’t going to show,” Thompson said.

Berger was once again a no-show. That meant Thompson had to be called in to have a quorum.

“I don’t look the part today,” said Thompson, who wore a jogging suit and appeared not to have shaved. “I’m not feeling well obviously. But you know, you got to do the people’s business even when you don’t want to. Today I didn’t want to, but here I am.”

We went by Berger’s house and found his Jeep outside, but at the door, there was no answer.

Although Berger has had trouble with attendance in the past, this is still surprising to Chairman Jonathan Barfield, as Berger had just last month asked for more responsibility.

“What more can I say?” Barfield said. “You know, Commissioner Berger wanted to be appointed to some of Commissioner Davis’s boards at this meeting here, and the fact that he wasn’t even here to vote on some of those issues. There’s not anymore that can be said.”

So the commissioners moved forward without Berger.

“I said upfront, ‘I’m sick of it,'” Thompson said. “And, you know, maybe my pain threshold is a little high today, so I said more than I normally would, but that’s what you get, and if you don’t like it, show up to a damn meeting and be here and vote.”

“Those that are voting for elected officials need to take a strong look at those folks who you’re voting for and make sure that they have the ability to represent you and your interests,” Barfield said.

We’ve tried to reach Berger today for comment. He has not responded.

Comment on this Story

33 Comments on "ONLY ON 3: Recuperating Thompson attends commission meeting as Berger pulls another no-show"

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

perhaps Mr. Berger has no phone. He likely makes too much as a County Commissioner to qualify for one of those free Obamaphones issued by Safelink.com

With the advent of cell phones, the phone company has virtually removed all phone booths. Likely not one within walking or driving distance from the Dock street residence.

Personally, I had some type of viral distress on Tuesday; I still had to get out and up to New Bern to investigate some suspected misdeeds.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Politicians, on the other hand either woos out or get an overweight CNN moderator to abuse the opposing candidate in a debate.

On another note, the “Sounds of Silence” are becoming deeper from the ballpark proponents. Maybe Terry and Dukie have learned silence is golden.

Vog46
2015 years 9 months ago

It is MY County Commissioners we’re talking about here so I have every right NOT to be fair.

All kidding aside
Dukie (Chuck Kuebler) has been relegated to the Star News Online blogs to defend the pro side position – where he is summarily being dispatched to the fiery depths of h________.

you should of course sign up and take part
(WWAY moderation takes way too long. In the SNO blogs posting is immediate)

Vog

Vog46
2015 years 9 months ago

What a comedy of errors our County Commission has turned out to be.
The ongoing saga of Brian Berger is bad enough.
Then we had Chairman Davis being appointed – which, in effect, vacated the seat for “only” one or two meetings
Then we had a chairman put in place by votes from the opposition party?
Then the GOP nominates a Brunswick County resident to fill Davis’ seat.
(Is that considered exporting jobs?)
Now we all of these shortcomings come together when a legitimate excuse takes another commissioner out of a meeting and Berger’s a no show in addition to the continued unfilled seat of Davis.
First point – Berger’s failure to notify Chairman Barfield is inexcusable, whether it is required or not. A common courtesy would be to call in especially knowing that Davis seat is empty which Berger did know.
Second – I saw nothing on the agenda that could not be delayed.
Third – a special meeting COULD be called due to the empty seats at that nights meeting.
Finally – for some odd reason I get suspicious when a CCer shows up in obvious distress claiming that although he didn’t feel like it, he had to do the peoples business.
A nice sentiment, but it smacks of grandstanding to me. I was waiting for him to hit a walk off home run or score a last minute touchdown. It seemed to be a perfect highlight film opportunity and Jason played it to the hilt.
I’m always suspicious of things like this. If a doctor said stay home and rest, then he should have, the same goes for Berger as well.

But, overall? Chairman Barfield SHOULD have rescheduled to give both Berger and Thompson time to recuperate. An occasional re-scheduling is not a bad thing when you have headline grabbing hounds like Berger and Thompson on the same quorum.

Vog

Citizen of the Republic
2015 years 9 months ago

but thank God he’s no Katherine Moore.

Sonya
2015 years 9 months ago

I seem to recall Berger saying that Thom’s legal fees bankrupted him and I seem to recall Thom saying “justice had been done”…tea party patriots. Sick of em all.