7 Comments for this article

Tags: , ,

WHITEVILLE, NC (WWAY) –- After five and a half hours of deliberation, jurors in the Stevie Cox officer impersonation trial were hung at a 7-5 vote of not guilty Friday, which forced the judge to declare a mistrial.

“We’re disappointed that the jury was unable to reach a verdict, but we certainly think they gave it their best shot,” defense attorney Mike Willis said.

The split jury created tensions within the jury room, as jurors debated the letter of the law.

“I would have found him guilty,” jury foreman Donald Wise said. “Do I think the intent was there? No, I don’t.”

“I was trying to help him out a little bit, because I knew he was a nice guy,” juror Pamula Mitchell said. “I don’t know him personally, but I just knew that he was truthful, and he just got a little nervous. I just think he is not guilty.”

With the ruling of a mistrial, the ball falls back into the court of District Attorney Jon David, who could request that this trial be moved to another county and tried once again.

Comment on this Story

7 Comments on "Cox trial juror: ‘I was trying to help him out’"

tweety
2015 years 9 months ago

yay i was too be in court too sea howl too not be guilty

Guest2769
2015 years 9 months ago

Some people thought Ted Bundy was “a nice guy”. Jurors should not be trying to help out the defendant. They should be making a decision based on the facts presented.

Guest61246
2015 years 9 months ago

No one was injured, no property damage occurred, why not just drop the issue. Enough money has been spent and jurors time wasted.

Guest4545454
2015 years 9 months ago

No one was injured because trooper walker pulled cox over for speeding 78mph in a 60mph zone. He is lucky walker didnt take his expired license on the spot for driving over 15mph, and passing in the wrong lane. What would happen if he would have killed someone by speeding? I wonder if the juror would have “helped him out” cause he was honest. I dont know him but he is honest.

Turner
2015 years 9 months ago

Exactly, citizen jurors can appear in front of the grand jury if they have been paid tax funds from the court to serve on jury duty and they believe it was a political set-up or racial profiling traffic stop.

B M
2015 years 9 months ago

Well if Cox is “innocent”, then the police chief needs to be tried, he had knowledge his vehicle and license was being driven and used by an unauthorized person with an expired license endangering the public, something is really wrong with this scenario, it appears there is not equal justice being applied here.

watching
2015 years 9 months ago

The juror’s comment about Stevie Cox being a nice guy is contradictory in my opinion. Cox was driving Chadbourn Police Chief Steven Shaw’s vehicle and was driving 78 mph in a 60 mph zone plus his driver’s license had expired. What kind of nice guy is this? Did Cox think just because he was driving the chief’s vehicle gave him the right to break the law? Stevie Cox should not be shown preferential treatment. If DA David does not re-try this case, he’s not doing his job. I don’t the juror’s reasoning was based on the law and evidence presented. She allowed other factors to influence her decision.