RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - North Carolina officials carrying out Gov. Beverly Perdue's directive to expand the state's pre-kindergarten program say another 4,000 at-risk 4-year-olds could enroll very soon, rather than the 1,000 first expected.
Health and Human Services Secretary Al Delia said Friday the higher number came after counties were surveyed about classroom space and waiting lists. Delia's agency is now examining exactly where children could enroll next month.
Perdue announced last week she would shift $20 million in funds to enroll 6,300 children in the program this school year. The governor said she's obligated because of a court ruling.
Delia's office said part of the money could come from foster care services and a program to pay for medicine for people with AIDS, but no services would be cut and sources could change.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)