RALEIGH, NC (AP) — A North Carolina man serving a 45-year sentence for a terror plot to attack a US Marine base and overseas targets has been found guilty in a murder-for-hire plot to behead witnesses who testified against him.
US Attorney Thomas Walker said 28-year-old Hysen Sherifi was found guilty Thursday of nine counts related to the murder-for-hire plot, Sherifi will be sentenced in February, when he faces a maximum sentence of life behind bars.
Investigators say while Sherifi was being held in the New Hanover County Jail last year, he approached another inmate looking for information on hiring someone to commit murder.
Sherifi’s brother and a friend also were charged in the murder-for-hire case and testified against Sherifi after entering into plea agreements with prosecutors.
Sherifi has said that he was arrested because of his Muslim faith. He was sentenced in January to 45 years in prison for plots to attack the Marine base at Quantico, VA, and overseas targets.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
11/8/2012 12:11:06 PM (GMT -5:00)