Report: Hoggard teacher arrested for allegedly kissing student

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 11/16/2012 - 4:59am
Updated: Fri, 11/16/2012 - 2:07pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A Hoggard High School teacher and coach is out of jail after being arrested overnight on a charge of indecent liberties with a student, which is a felony.

New Hanover County Sheriff’s detectives arrested Michael Dale Supak, 37, around 2 a.m. Investigators say the charge stems from an incident that took place last month on campus.

According to an incident report, Supak is accused of "Sex Acts/Kissed Victim" and that the attack was forcible. The report says the incident happened at Hoggard on Sunday, October 14. An assistant principal reported the incident to law enforcement yesterday.

Click here to view the Incident/Investigation Report

A school district spokeswoman would not comment on the allegations, but she said Supak is suspended with pay until an investigation is done.

According to Hoggard’s website, Supak teaches Honors world history, sports history and psychology.

His biography on the school’s athletics site says Supak, who serves as the football team’s running backs coach and as the head JV football coach, joined the Hoggard staff in 2006. He is also the girls track coach. The biography also says he was an assistant coach at New Hanover High School from 1999 to 2001 and Western Harnett High School from 2002 to 2005. The biography says he is married with three children, including one who attends Hoggard.

We went by his house to get his side of the story. There were cars in the driveway, but nobody came to the door.

Outside, we spoke with a neighbor, who did not want to give his name or show his face. He says he questions the allegations.

"I have never seen any indication that this kind of behavior would happen," the neighbor said.

The man said he knows Supak well and says his children play with Supak’s kids.

"If I thought there was any indication that this would happen, our children wouldn’t play together," the man said. "And am totally comfortable with my son playing with his kids."

He cautions people about jumping to conclusions.

"Innocent until proven guilty," the neighbor said. "I don’t see enough of that."

The Sheriff’s Office says Supak posted a $2,000 secured bond and was released from the New Hanover County Jail around 5 a.m.

• Hoggard Parent says:

If there is evidence, we need to see it. Personally, I do not believe that it happened and will not believe it until I see hard evidence. It is too easy to make accusations. This type of damage to a veteran and career educator’s reputation is nasty business and not to be taken lightly.

• What the crap says:

I was in supak’s psychology class as a senior last year. He voiced that he was afraid to tell girls that their clothes were against school policy because he felt uncomfortable. I feel that what he was charged with is very unlike him at all.

• Keaton Register says:

Yeah that is very true tells us to (honors world history)

• Justin America says:

Can I borrow your phone? There a several illegals, unemployed and Muslims i need to make a call about. welcome to NC.

• FREEEEE SUPAK says:

If the people knew this crazy girl like we do at Hoggard, they would believe supak in an instant!! Everybody at this school knows how crazy she is and how much of a compulsive liar thisgirl is…. She craves the attention. Supak is an amazing person and coach and he and his family do not deserve to go through this. People are so ignorant. INNOCENT.

• Guest:None of your buisness. says:

This is stupid.
    Supak would never do anything like this.
    The girl whos claiming this..is crazy

• PublicAvenger says:

I’m not saying she, or him, are lying.
    Hopefully the truth will come out in court, and we can get to the bottom of this thing.

Maybe you could squeeze an English class in your schedule.

He wasn’t immediately arrested. As a matter of fact, they arrested him a month after the accusation was made. My guess is because it would’ve interfered with their football games because he was mysteriously arrested a few days after the season was over.

• state champ says:

Supak started helping with the football team my senior season and i ended up working with him outside of school a few times and helping out with football. I hate to see a good man be ruined because some girl felt the need to have attention on her. She is the one who needs to be arrested.

• Not Hinky know the Law a little says:

You are right young lad, they would have had to have more than just her word. It’s call electronic crimes for a reason. Won’t al, of you be shocked when you read or find out about all the texting. Wake up and smell the coffee or in this case the perfume because someone was close enough too.

• Billy Truth says:

So was/did Jerry Sandusky, everyone rallied behind him and then POW they got blind sided

• Mike W says:

For everything you just listed in your comment is the exact reason a molester would target her. She’s the perfect victim because nobody will believer her. That’s what these kinds of people do find the week and vulnerable ones and have their way with them

• Mike G says:

Hey ding dong, that kid did steal that play station 3 system in a parking lot armed with 2 other guys. Then approached the door raising his arm pointing at the front door and window where the cops were and yelling at them with the black controller in his hand that would look like a GUN big dummy

• Paul M says:

Remember the words text messages, texting, txting, sexting, you will be shocked, he knows that’s why he has said nothing yet

• Greg G says:

You’ll get to see it, all of it soon enough!! The Detectives are well aware of this girls past issues and would have been extra careful before charging. They have him in their sights with evidence.

• Samantha says:

I just love how this is all playing out. You know, you people say it’s innapropriate fo an adult and student to kiss and keep referring to her as a STUDENT. If She weren’t a student majority of you guys would not even bother to care. There are people married with children who are 12 years apart and you all think that it’s fine. The fact that they waited a while to report an alleged kiss worries me that theses people are just too bored with their life. Their concerned about a kiss that most likely didn’t even happen while their daughter is pregnant. GET REAL DUDE. I know supak abd his family. They’re all great people. Supak works his tail off for others to succeed. He has changed many of students lives. If it weren’t for him I would’ve quit track. This man has truly made a difference and is possibly the most looked up to in our school and most likely at home as well. I pray for you coach, you’re still an innocent. I will never look at you differently after all is said and done, you’re great. #FREESUPAK

• Parent of a student says:

The report states that the incident happend on October 14 at 6:00 pm. October 14th was a Sunday. I’m finding it hard to believe that just a student and a teacher would find themselves alone on a Sunday evening at the school. My son is in Coach Supak’s class. He has always spoken highly of him. Coach Supak has encouraged my son to be a better student. Both on the field and off the field, he has been a positive role model for so many students over the years. My thoughts are with his family as so many have already found him guilty.

• Alayna says:

If the accusation concerns a sex offense, then you are NOT innocent until proven guilty. You are considered a pedophile. And once you get that stain on your name, you are forever guilty-even if you’re innocent. Why? Because people do not really know, and don’t want to know, all the details of the penal system.
    ALL sex offenders are tossed into the same bucket. To the public they all look alike. But they are not all alike. Some are VERY dangerous. Others are not dangerous at all. John Public cannot tell the different.
    ALL pedophiles are sex offenders. But all sex offenders are not pedophiles.
    ALL rapists are sex offenders. But all sex offenders are not rapist or pedophiles.
    Some registered sex offenders just did something stupid. [Ex. 18-23 years] They have associated with people their own age, or younger, their entire lives. Unlike our computers, we do not get an instant upgrade at 18. Mentally and socially, most are still teenagers. And THAT is what gets a lot of people in trouble.
    THE GREATEST DISSERVICE: The law protects teenaged females as being innocent children. But the males are very often charged. ALL teenage girls ARE NOT “children”. These “little girls” know exactly what they are doing and should be held accountable.
    What’s almost laughable is the fact that it is scientifically proven that girls mature much faster than their male counterpart. So why am I the only one that seems to see that the scales don’t balance?

• Stewie Griffith says:

Its not the school, rather the parents of the children that go to the school NOT DOING THEIR JOBS AS PARENTS….

SO YOU THINK PEOPLE AREN’T ARRESTED ON SOMEONES SAY-SO? I KNEW SOMEONE YEARS AGO THAT GOT INTO A FIGHT WITH ANOTHER PERSON. THE OTHER PERSON STARTED THE FIGHT, BUT THEY WENT DOWN TOWN THAT NIGHT AND TOOK OUT A WARRENT. THE NEXT MORNING, THIS PERSON WAS ARRESTED AND TAKEN DOWN AND CHARGED AND WENT TO COURT. (BUT NOT TO JAIL. POSTED BAIL) THE PERSON THAT STARTED THE FIGHT AND TOOK OUT THE WARRENT, DIDN’T HAVE A SCRATCHE ON THEM. THE OTHER PERSON HAD BRUISES ON THE FACE, SO IT CAN BE AND IS DONE EVERY DAY.

• Gregory Futch says:

The girl told people it was a set up

• Transact says:

What drama!

Why did the police wait until the middle of the night to arrest him and disturb his entire family?

And he’s accused of Sex Acts/ Kissed Victim! Really?

Which is it? I would think that kissing someone is a lot milder–less objectionable than having a sex act with them. Besides, the “victim” may have been kissed on the cheek.

Not for one moment do I believe Michael Dale had sex with a student.

• Tracie C says:

Wow! Let’s call the guy a “sexual predator” with no FACTS! Do any of those calling this man guilty know how many innocent people’s lives have been ruined by accusations with no proof? Let his accuser prove it beyond a reasonable doubt THEN skewer the guy. Until then, his life is already ruined. He’ll never be looked at in the same way again.
    I really hope the student has solid proof of this and isn’t just making it up for some spiteful reason.

• C/O 2000 alumni says:

It’s so sad that these kids will say anything and ruin someone’s life forever. After hearing the final results from the trial of the ashley football coach I cant pass any judgement until all the evidence comes out…Im praying for this gentleman and his family and…I pray justice is serve and if this is a lie that the suppose to be victim is exposed and charged to the fullest extent of the law….these 21st century kids are wicker and wiser and dont care about life anymore..c/o 2000 alumni of JTHoggard..

• Citizen1 says:

Folks need to be very careful with this. Be careful not to rush and judge the victim. With all of the vicious attacks and unfounded accusations that this student knew she would obviously be subject to, why on earth would she report this if there wasn’t something there? It doesn’t have to be sex. An adult ATTEMPTING to kiss or kissing a student is WRONG. And if it happened, there should indeed be consequences. Could it be that she was trying to stand up for those who are too afraid to stand up when violated? To prevent someone out there from being next? The fact of the matter is that something happened. We’re not certain what. Let the facts play out. The truth will eventually come out. If this is true, a few more courageous young ladies may come out as well. Let’s not forget how Penn State Nation defended, with all they had, Coach Sandusky.

• Unknown says:

The student is a lair and no one likes her. She craves attention. Free Supak we love you and your amazing family man!

• icujaybird says:

I played for Supak back in 2002 and he was such a wonderful man. He had his principals and put his family first.

• BZ says:

I am a very close friend of his daughter and have been to his house multiple times and also he was my teacher last year. Supak would never even put thought into something like this i know him very well.. he has 3 kids and two of them are teenage daughters.He loves his job and being the awesome coach that he is for hoggard football. The student lies about everything she is a compulsive liar that not many people look up too, she craves for attention. I believe that she did this all for attention.. wouldn’t surprise me! I hope Supak is set free and i love him and his family.FREE SUPAK

• bakalar says:

IGNORANCE ON DISPLAY…it took more than someone saying something happened, there is evidence of his wrong doing.

• believer says:

i think supak is innocent he is an awesome person and coach and teacher. the girl is a who*e and makes stuff up like this all of the time. she is crazy. this isnt the only story i have heard about her saying stuff like this for a loooong time. FREE SUPAK

• bakalar says:

Ignorance on display. You don’t get arrested because someone says you did something…Evidence gets you arrested. The truth will come out and I hope Supak pays for failing in his obligation to this student and the others who will most likely come forward.

You are not up to date on nc law. You can be arrested without evidence. An indictment by a grand jury is a different matter. An individual can go to a magistrate make an accusation and that person will be arrested.

• windsnake69 says:

What’s a “LAIR”??

• YouInSea says:

I have known Coach Supak for a long time. He was my girls’ track coach when I was at Western Harnett High School a long time ago. He is a great man, teacher, and coach. He and his family definitely have my support!

• B M says:

total B/S, why would a police force raid a family’s home in the middle of the night for an ALLEGED kissing incident and put innocent children at risk when all they had to do was wait till the guy was on his normal routine and call him to the side and issue a warrant, utter B/S!!! remember the wilmington kid that was shot thru his front door years ago over an alleged stealing of a game? Since when does an innocent till proven guilty man or woman deserve to have their pictures published in the news before their guilt is ever proven, nothing worse than a teen aged girl who has been rejected on a revenge hunt!

• AMAZING KIDZTER! says:

The girl who claimed this false accusation, supposedly is a liar. She is a manipulative liar to everyone around her and everyone knows her reputation. When the time comes..
    Justice will be served.

FREE SUPAK

• supakstrong says:

maybe you all should think of his family before you make rude and judgmental comments on here. they are also having to deal with this, not just Coach Mike. think about how you would feel if this was your family!?
    stay strong Coach mike!

• HL says:

Supak is a good man. He loves his wife an children to death. I’ve known the girl for years and she has never liked Supak and she has proven herself to be a half witted liar that will do anything for attention. She just wants this so people will take pity on her and I hope she gets the consequences she deserves. Forced kissing? Yeah right. She probably put herself in the ‘situation’ if there even was one.

• Tim says:

Anybody that knows this girl knows she Is a pathological compulsive liar. My senior year I had a class with her and she sat in our group. I heard she was pregnant 3 different times in 9 weeks. I heard she had cancer twice, but she didn’t know what kind of cancer. I also heard she was adopted, but her and her mom look exactly alike. Lying is her aphrodisiac. She loves hurting other people or wing the star of her show. Supak treated me like a son and his house was open to me when I needed it the most. He took care of me, made sure I had a way to and from school. He pushed me in school and football and I bettered myself. He is another father figure to me and I know he wouldn’t do this. Who cares if its a high school girl! They are the first person to lie about anything and everything if it makes them the center of attention. I hope her mom reads this truthfully. This student is one of the biggest liars I have ever met. I just wish she didn’t have to end a mans reputation and possibly a career for her own benefit.

What’s up with this school and the administrators there? Isn’t this the same school where a student delivered a baby in the bathroom? What kind of sex education are they teaching there?

• Justin says:

Hmmmm, so the student makes the accusation, the police question the coach and they IMMEDIATELY arrest him? Yes, something sounds hinky, but if there was no evidence -other than this lone child’s accusation- why the arrest?

• Nhcpd says:

Then they can do a DNA test on her child then you ignorant stupid high schooler. He was arrested because she went to the hospital and they took a swab and found his DNA inside of her

These lies you speak of dont come out of every teenagers mouth, you probably are the mother of this “girl” with you replying to everyone’s remarks about her but lets face the facts of who she really is and what she does. Honestly hope everything goes well on Accused victim Supak. It’s not that he’s cool it’s because he’s a truly good person everyone see it that really has known him. Also everyone sees her awhile has truly know her for a long time, many problems with her.

• Wisdom is both Truth and Power says:

When these things break everyone starts picking sides. Why not pick the side of his innocent 10th grade daughter at Hoggard. Why drag her in the mud too? To the people that say “he’s a great guy and he’d never do this”, I’d say maybe not to you or your child but somone else’s he might have!! Not sure about the paid leave thing, since the school looked into it for 30+days before turning it over to the police then they had significant evidence and so why more days of pay. They will be checking all cell phone and email shared. Hoping for a speedy close to this case.

• Credible speaker says:

How do you know the student isn’t guilty? I’m a student at Hoggard and if you knew the first thing about her, you’d know she is absolutely notorious for telling absurd lies. For example, she has spread word SEVERAL times that she was pregnant and also claimed she had cancer at one point. I am a credible speaker seeing as her and I were best friends my freshman year. She’s been this way since I’ve known her. I’m not choosing sides at all and still find the situation to be a questionable, but don’t assume the “innocent daughter” is innocent.

• blessed with two says:

What teenager hasn’t told lies? Why would anyone put themselves through this? You students like this man because he is “cool” and lets you hang at his house and play video games…among other things.

Were any of you there when the icident occured? Do you have access to his thoughts? Just because he didn’t do anything to you does not mean it didn’t happen. Can you truly sit there and say you have never witnessed or heard this man act in a way unbecoming of a TEACHER. If you are honest, you know he has done things he shouldn’t have while wearing his “teacher hat”.

If Supak was a real man, he would come forward and address you students that are crucifying this girl. Why don’t you just keep your opinions to yourselves and wait for the trial?

• keaton says:

Sure is hard to be present to something that did not happen.

• taxpayer says:

it will be up to his attorney to defend him. Unless you were present at the time the alleged act occurred, you’re merely speculating that it did not happen. The truth will come to the surface…in time.

Unfortunately, his reputation has certainly been sullied at this point. If he is found not guilty, he will always be guilty in the minds of some.

• Tom W says:

Why are people so quick to defend a sexual predator? Not just in this situation. People so often say, he/she would never do such a thing. Unless you are in that persons brain, you have no idea what depravity exists in their mind. Is it impossible for a good person to act on an evil thought? No. Evil exists in every form. Predators of children are the most evil, and least likely to be caught. Such a shame. Bring back public stonings for sexual predators and violent criminals, and you will find these perverts reduce in frequency.

• Keaton Register says:

Because I know this man as my honors world history teacher. He is the best teacher I have ever had, he would never do this and has not been proven guilty. The students of Hoggard High School will defend him. This man loves his family and would not do such a hateful crime. And yes it is possible for great people to act on evil thoughts and action but not to this length,

am defending out justice system…he is INNOCENT until proven guilty…so far this is an accusation…IF he is guilty..FINE..throw him under the jail…if he is innocent..and I was him I would SUE THE EVER LOVING GOD out of the parents, then retire.

• Guesttenheimer says:

I don’t believe anyone is defending a sexual predator here. This is an accusation and still requires an investigation. Regardless of the shortfalls, this is still America and the justice system still has to do due diligence here.
    I understand your conviction regarding the subject, but your conviction of the “accused” is quite out of order. There are plenty of cases of this subject where “little Lucy” lied and attempted to ruin a persons reputation for personal gain, or lack thereof.

• victoria3749 says:

I believe this 100%. Yes Supak was a great guy and he would do anything to help anyone! He was an awesome teacher, he was my teacher at WHHS but I always figured he had relationship with other female students. The way he acted towards the girls in my class and his tone of voice. Never did the way he talked to the females sound appropiate and they couldn’t get enough of Supak, always coming to see him during his classes. There was always rumors going around WHHS that he was having relationships with female students. I’m not sure if he really did this but for me its not a shocker to be hearing about this. Sometimes people are just too nice and I believe he was one of them.

• Guestsad says:

Isn’t anyone able to suppress their depraved sexual appetite anymore? Do these people have the ability to do that at all? It’s almost like a cheap thrill is actually worth their job and their reputation.

you do know this is a CHARGE that is being investigated…he is INNOCENT until proven guilty…right..??

• jesse says:

please read that this is an accusation and a mans reputation. there is an investigation pending. pathetic people make comments on peoples lives with out knowing the facts. if he is guilty then your comment is valad..if not then consider if you were in his shoes.

• taxpayer says:

he simply stands accused. Time will tell if he’s guilty as charged. If he is, then whatever the law allows, utilize it fully. Until then, people can only speculate as to the details.

NO, NOW ADAYS YOU’R GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT. WHY SHOULD HE HAVE TO PROVE HES INNOCENT? WHY SHOULD’NT SHE HAVE TO PROVE HIM GUILTY? SHES THE ONE MAKING THE ALLAGATIONS. ITS SO EASY FOR THESE YOUNG GIRLS TO RUIN A MANS LIFE FOREVER BECAUSE THE NEWS JUMPS ON IT AND PRINTS THE MANS NAME BEFORE HES EVEN FOUND GUILTY. WHY NOT PRINT HER NAME TO? I DON’T KNOW ANY OF THESE PEOPLE, BUT THIS IA GETTING TO BE OLD NEWS.

I agree with you that the man is innocent until proven guilty. They don’t print the alleged victim’s name because that would make it more difficult for real victims to report it. Unfortunately, society as a whole jumps all over it and goes ahead and judges the alleged criminal.

• Samantha says:

INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. HE’S AN AMAZING PERSON AND WOULDN’T DO THIS. STAY STRONG SUPAK!

• Brianna says:

Supak was a great teacher when I went to Hoggard. He never would have done this!!! The truth will come out soon and he will be set free!!!!!!!!!!!

• Victor says:

Why did the New Hanover County School system wait more than two weeks to report this “crime?”

• Former Player says:

Having been coached by Coach Supak and staying in touch with him over the past few years, I have a hard time believing this. He’s a great coach, father, and friend. Students today seem to throw around accusations left and right when they don’t get their way. These threats are why it’s hard to find teachers because any student can say something and the teacher ends up getting arrested and paraded through the media. Not to say that there isn’t a bad teacher or two in the country and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, but these students keep making accusations time and time again. Stay strong coach, keep fighting, and when cleared, I expect the student to be punished so that an example will be set.

• Xavier says:

Coach Supak has been my football coach for the last 4 years, he is someone that not only my teammates look up to but other students look up to as a leader and Roll model

I know one thing they are NOT getting at that school…

• Guesthug says:

Sometimes these guys just manage to get themselves in places where they can get to the “fresh meat”. He may or may not be a ROLE model. Let the facts be exposed before making a judgement.

I have no dog in this fight since I don’t know the teacher and I haven’t a clue who the girl is. As a relative of someone who was falsely accused I would have to say that we should wait until the evidence is in before we crucify the man. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty. On the other hand, if I had a daughter at that school I would not want her around this man until he is cleared. My gut feeling is that he is not guilty and that if anything happened it got overblown, but I feel strongly that nothing happened at all.