Teacher’s arrest sparks cyberbullying

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 11/16/2012 - 10:40pm
Updated: Sat, 11/17/2012 - 4:23pm

Wilmington, NC (WWAY) – Students have turned to Twitter to express their frustrations and a well-intentioned trend may have turned into cyber bullying.

In a show of support for Michael Supak, Hoggard students who felt that he had changed their life for the better started a movement to wear black for Supak on Twitter.

Many students tweeted pictures of themselves and Supak while others offered tweets of support.

“He strived us to be the best at anything we can do, changing our lives for the better” @snowdreamer tweeted.

“This man had a lot of impact on my life and many others! I love you man!” tweeted @Born2_5hine.

The New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office followed the feed looking for suspicious activity.

“We were made aware of the twitter feed yesterday afternoon and we were monitoring it and since then there has been some tweets that caused concern for us so we are investigating that” said Sgt. Jerry Brewer of the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office.

Tweets had varying degrees of severity.

“Hoes will be hoes” tweeted @joshbeasley19.

“This girl is a ratchet. Ok that’s all I’ve gotta say” tweeted @rachh_williamss.

These tweets have concerned the sheriff’s office.

“It’s a very big concern” says Sgt. Jerry Brewer. “Bullying of any type is unacceptable. That is something Sheriff McMahon is absolutely strict on and we need to make sure we follow all of the rules and guidelines of North Carolina to ensure that bullying is not accepted.”

• wooow says:

Woooow. That doesn’t make any sense at all. Ever heard of intelligence? Innocent kids get bullied every day.Freedom of speech doesn’t apply here at all. You’ve got to be kidding me. You can’t just day whatever you want whenever you want. Slander can get you in some serious trouble.

I grew up with the phrase “Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”. It seems we have become whiners and wimps. Now the New Hanover County Sheriff Department has become the “Spoken or written word Police”. If our spoken or written words are held hostage because someone is offended then we are no longer a free people.

The parent who is “old, out-of-touch” , there are websites that will translate or provide the definition of slang or internet abbreviations

• Josh Fulton says:

“Bullying of any type is unacceptable?” Ever heard of freedom of speech?

• momma says:

Bullying? Really….recently at THS a kid stepped in to try and halt a bully and a fight ensued…guess who was suspended? That’s right, the kid trying to do the RIGHT thing!! Did it stop the bullying? Probably not. Let’s get the rules right for a change. If the girl is a “hoe” and “ratchet” then lets figure out what went wrong that caused a teachers arrest. If the teacher was at fault, shame on him and fire him!

As an old, out-of-touch parent, I had to ask my daughter what the person meant by “ratchet”. I got a so-so explanation, but I think I now get the gist. They say you learn something everday and that was my thing for the day.

Just viewed the feed. Not really much to worry about with the exception of one girl who has obviously threatened the girl. Bet they won’t take care of that.

• Katherine says:

I’m sorry, but how in the world can that be construed as “bullying”? I possibly could understand if they were saying these things on the alleged victim’s Facebook page or if the comments were directed at her on Twitter, but neither is the case here.
    So basically, if you say something negative about someone – even if they aren’t ever aware you said it – you are bullying that person. I think that’s taking things WAY too far.

• nevaknow says:

love how you can see the KIDS names so you know exactly who it is…….

I would like to know if this teacher passed a lie detector test. . and the girl, too.

• I'm not Shocked says:

Let the truth in this matter speak for itself! Don’t pass judgment on either party until all it out in this investigation. The craziest thing about this news story is that both the Beasley and Williams families have had their OWN issues with the authorities in the reasent past……. That’s the Pot calling the Kettle black. C’mon parents do your jobs and control your kids words for once. Haven’t you by not being good parents done enough damage!! GET REAL

• bburbby says:

Shame on you WWAY.
    I can’t believe that you would actually report the tweets!
    That is just as bad as bullying, as you are just spreading the trash talk.
    I saw the news clip, and you went further than necessary. I see that in this article, you had the decency to not put up the last one.

Don’t you have a director over there to okay news content?

• dnaakrs says:

I’m often asked “Why do you home school your children?”…again, here is another perfectly good example (one of many) to that question!

• Beach Bum says:

Man, things sure have changed since my day.

That’s bullying?

ha ha ha ha ha

Thats democrats ideology working for you. Get someone else to fix your problem instead of fixing it yourself.

• Tommy Stoofit says:

nhcsd doesn’t have anything else better to do.. they are the leos that wpd rejected…

• Justin America says:

Hoes will be hoes. following the twitter feed huh? good work. did you notice the girl seems to be a ho and you prob arrested the good guy?

And since you couldn’t make it in NHCSO, it would appear you are just a reject.