Rouzer calls for recount; cost unclear

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 11/20/2012 - 9:48pm
Updated: Wed, 11/21/2012 - 9:02pm By:

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — After two counts of the votes, a Congressional candidate is hoping the third time is a charm. Today Republican David Rouzer asked for a recount in his race for Congress.

Two weeks after Election Day Democratic incumbent Rep. Mike McIntyre has assumed his spot on Capitol Hill after a 655-vote victory. But Rouzer says he will not go down without a fight.

“Considering this is the closest Congressional race in the country, and in light of the irregularity previously found in Bladen County, which significantly reduced the vote margin at that time, I have decided to request a mandatory recount of the votes cast in the 7th Congressional District as allowed by law,” Rouzer said in a statement. “In a race this close, accidental human error could easily change the outcome. It is important to ensure that every legal vote cast is properly and accurately counted.”

In an e-mail, Rouzer campaign spokeswoman Jessica Wood explained, “The Bladen county BOE workers double counted the votes in a precinct that had voted overwhelmingly McIntyre. When they fixed it, the vote margin between the candidates narrowed by almost 100 votes.”

But the folks in Bladen County say there is no problem.

“On Election Night everything is unofficial until we do all of our tabulation, do all of our canvass, do all of our double checks,” Board of Elections member Ray Britt said. “But that’s the key factor that everybody should remember about anything on any election, whether it’s Bladen County, state, statewide, federal, national, what have you.”

Elections officials say when the votes in Bladen County were totalled, they were entered into one machine. A card that was entered into the machine had a weak battery. When that battery was replaced it was inserted into the machine and the numbers were counted twice. The state Board of Elections was notified of the error, and that error was quickly fixed and accounted for.

“I don’t know that Rouzer has blamed Bladen County for anything,” Britt said. “I think it is more of an assurance. Is it right is the question. There has been a lot of money spent on both sides of this campaign.”

The cost now goes to the taxpayers in the 12 counties in the 7th District, prompting McIntyre’s campaign to say Rouzer should practice what he has preached.

“While we respect the legal right for a recount, it is unfortunate that taxpayer dollars, time and resources will be spent on a process that has been closely monitored,” McIntyre campaign manager Lachlan McIntosh said in a statement. “All 12 county boards of elections in the 7th District have carefully reviewed the votes, and the results have already shown Mike McIntyre to be the winner. For someone who has claimed fiscal responsibility, David Rouzer is asking taxpayers to pay for his pursuit of his own personal political ambition in a district he had drawn for himself.”

It’s unclear how much the recount will cost. We called all 12 boards of elections involved. Estimates ranged from $350 in Pender County to upwards of $10,000 in Columbus.

One elections director says the state estimates it should cost a total of about $50,000.

• Tried of wasting money says:

In case you can’t believe it, YOU LOST. My suggestion to you David is to try and deal with it. No matter how many times they count it, you still loss. It is now time to move on and live with your loss. The next time he request another count make him pay for it.

While I do agree that the comment made by this person was off topic the response was not completely accurate. It is factual in every sense of the word that our First Lady has traveled on vacations that had absolutely nothing to do with being an “unofficial representative”; see Paris with “the girls”, Hawaii at least twice with the children, all separate from the President and all accompanied by an entourage of “assistants”. Please review the size of her “staff” if you would like to compare hers with other First Ladies of the past. I would estimate that at least 50% of the public does not agree with her travel.
    The law recognizes that there is a possibility of mistakes in vote counts and allows for the option of asking for a recount. It is worth the time and expense to make sure that a mistake has not been made. Let the process work please – at least 49.9% of the people voted for this gentleman and they have the right of verification.

• Rick Wilson says:

I was not happy with the Presidential Election results but……I have to agree with Ken on this one. It is time to get over it and I hope our “elected officials” will work together for a change and solve some of our country’s problems.

David is entitled to a recount by the rules, so let him have one.

The President and First Lady are entitled to travel at tax payer expense, even ones I didn’t vote for…..I believe if someone would check, this administrations travel has not been out of line with that of other administrations, Democrat or Republican.

• Rick Wilson says:

I stated in my post he was entitled to a recount, what are you disputing? I do not like the tax payer funded vacations any public officials get. My personal feelings are they get a paycheck and can fund their own vacations. With the rules that are in place, that is a dream. I have seen other posts that dispute this President and first Lady have taken more vacations than others in the past. I do not know for sure. I would like to see a verified list with verified costs before passing judgement. I am not defending or condemning because I do not have enough facts to form an opinion. I would like for everybody to work together to start solving the Country’s problems.

• Ken says:

With all the responses being related to the vote count, there had to be one Idiot in the room making an effort to link travel by The First Lady to the cost of the vote recount. For your information “taxpayer”, all First Ladies travel and when they do travel they travel officially as unofficial representatives of the United States of America. I seem to remember the Bush, Clinton, Bush, Nixon, Carter and other wives travelling at taxpayer expense to places all over the world so what’s your beef with Michelle Obama’s travels. Also, what is the basis for classifying all of her travel as vacation travel? Also are you including the trip taken by President Obama where Congresswoman Michelle Bachman made the claim that the taxparer cost for the trip was placed at $200,000,000.00 per day? Lighten up dude and get a life. President Obama is the President of the United States of America and his travels and the travels of his wife are no different than those of previous Presidents except that YOU do not approve of this First Lady’s travel.

• tRobert Lewis says:

Let the person wanting the recount PAY for it! This may change his mind…

• B Hapeman says:

Give up, you have lost!
    Mr Rouzer you have insulted the folks doing the counting in Baden county with your comment!

• Columbus county constituent says:

I would never vote for Rouzer under any circumstance simply on the basis of his disregard of the cost involved in yet another recount that will undoubtedly prove fruitless yet again. I don’t want someone like that to have any part of budget making. What a waste of resources, but what a fine illustration that the best man won.

• Wilmington Observer says:

I’m asking WHY is it going to cost because I really don’t understand the, reported, cost associated with a recount. It is my understanding that employees of the Board of Election (BOE) conduct the recount. As a BOE employee they are paid a salary regardless of what there duties are. I’m sure that the recount process would keep the employees from other duties but would not cause them from being paid any additional salary. Are there part-time or “seasonal” employees being factored into this equation? I’m sure that someone here will be able to explain this “extra cost” to me.

Wilmington Observer

• taxpayer63 says:

How much is it going to cost the taxpayers to conduct a recount? Let’s pass a law that if the recount doesnt change the results that the candidate has to pay for this action instead of us taxpaying citizens.

• taxpayer says:

Not nearly as much as Michelle Obama’s multi-million dollar vacations.

• jj says:

The rules are there to allow this and it doesn’t matter what it cost. If they counted one vote wrong then the recount is worth it. If I was Mike, I would want all doubt removed and would be saying “Bring it on”.

Don’t think if Mike would have lost he wouldn’t be asking for a recount.

• Vog46 says:

Under current law recounts are allowed only under very close circumstances. Rouzer fell into that category.

he is entitled and he’s fully aware that 99.1% of recounts don’t change election results.

Vog

• Rob Surf City says:

Dear Mr. Rouzer:

Today I did not have the winning numbers in the $250,000,000 Power Ball Lottery.

However, I was only a few numbers off- close enough, I believe, to ask for a recount. I’ll be keeping my fingers crossed just like you.

• Das Weibstück says:

LET IT GO.

• Du says:

I completely agree with you on this. I voted for Mike, and I believe it would look better if his organization didn’t continue the negativity. There’s no need for it. They need to at least try to act professional, and respectable, I’m disappointed that his representative can’t give the challenger the respect he deserves, and I really hope they stop the crap talking. That cost Mike some respect from me, not that it’s worth much, but I’m sick of it. He should embrace the chance to let this close decision.

• taxpayer63 says:

One vote is not going to change the end result, lets spend 60K to change the results by one vote. That makes a lot of sense!