Police catch suspected downtown thieves

Tags: , , ,

Submitted: Mon, 12/10/2012 - 1:33am
Updated: Mon, 12/10/2012 - 1:41am

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A man was robbed tonight near the corner of Front and Grace streets in downtown Wilmington.

Lieutenant Blanton of the Wilmington Police Department says three teenagers approached a homeless man and demanded his iPod.

Detectives later found the teens on Castle Street.

The victim positively identified the suspects as the thieves and the teens are behind bars tonight.

…walk around with $300.00 cell phones….that’s when. I guess inquiring minds just have to know…

• windsnake6969 says:

Since when do homeless people have ipods? Sounds strange to me ..

• Guester says:

pretty sure he wasn’t born homeless. he could have lost his job or dropped out of school.

• ?coments says:

Wow, an IPOD, such a suprise. Go to DC and then talk, homeless in the parks have badges, there is wifi right outside the Whitehouse and the homeless sit with their lap tops and have park police for protection 24/7, big town Wilmington folks with comments about homeless having a IPOD ??????

• Bordois Silverstream says:

You’re all so bloody buggery concerned about where he got his iPod… He deserves his iPod more than those kids deserve a roof over their heads.
    To the butthurt Republicans who want to talk about tax dollars, and as someone previously said, he wasn’t born homeless. It’s probably one of the very few small possessions that a homeless person could fit in their pockets and continue enjoying that small normalcy. But you know, just like welfare queens, homeless people love becoming homeless and sleeping outside so that they can get government checks to buy iPods with. I need a new iPod. Let me go lose my job…

• Angela Giacoman says:

This offends me highly Im homeless and I dont get a check nor do I want one I can work but no one seems to want to hire me not every homeless person gets a check and its d#$% hard to life in this situation. We spend everyday trying to survive

• Do You Right says:

I can’t believe people can write the comments that were posted on here. I am happy to see you could look at the situation from a different perspective. Thank you for your feedback on the scenario.

• Deborah Novotny says:

Did anyone ever stop and think,Maybe his Ipod was a gift from someone. it probably was his prize possesion. Why does everyone always look at the ba
    d side of a person…I’m sure he is not bad at all just because he is homless and owns and IPod. Do not judge another until you look in your own closet!!! God Bless and I’m glad they caught the bad guys!!!

How does a homeless person buy an iPod!?!??!

• Guestchuck072 says:

The homeless person can well afford an ipod since he doesn.t have to pay rent, house payments, light bills, water & sewer, taxes, gasoline, etc.

• taxpayer says:

with cash. Just because they’re homeless doesn’t mean they’re “cashless”. Many use the Good Shepherd Center as their “home” address where government checks are mailed.

• Abby says:

So glad the cops found these low life thug of teens. Very proud of the victim for positively ID’s the suspects.

I am sure their parents are proud of them. Seriously what is this world coming to with these teens. Teens that start to show problems they need big wake up call. Their parents need to throw them in Beyond Scared Straight with the big boys in Prison see how they like that style of living. Maybe their parents should join the program with them since they don’t know where their child is and what they are doing. They have obviously lost control.

Hopefully justice will be served!

• huber says:

Looks like more midnight Christmas shoppers are working the downtown district for: ‘ steals & bargains ‘. This will continue to get worse before it gets any better — with this current economey. Becides — whats a ‘homeless’ man doing with an I-Pod Phone anyway ?

Don’t forget about the $400 dollar basketball shoes.

• windsnake says:

So basically, as taxpayers, we not only pay to support ipod-owning homeless people, but also pay for the police activity that ensues when other societal leaches steal said ipod from said homeless person.
    Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?