Two accused in CFCC student’s murder talk about the crime, impact

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Wed, 12/19/2012 - 4:59am
Updated: Wed, 12/19/2012 - 4:39pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — It has been just five days since 19-year-old Joshua Proutey was murdered in downtown Wilmington. Tonight, WWAY’s Matt Ray was the only TV reporter to talk to two of the suspects.

“I just want to tell me mom I love her,” Daniel Henry, 17, said, “and my brother and my dad.”

“I’m not as tough as I look,” Henry said wiping away tears. “I get stereotyped so much.

Henry, 17, said he wishes he could change what happened.

“If I could rewind back, I would’ve stepped in front of the bullet for Josh,” Henry said. “He had more going on for himself than me.”

Henry, the youngest of the group accused, says his life is over because of someone else’s actions. He and investigators say Quintel Grady shot and killed Prouty. Henry also apologized to the Proutey family for their loss.

“I don’t want no sympathy. I just want justice,” Henry said. “Yeah, give me time, but don’t give me life. I did not pull the trigger. I can’t control what somebody else do.”

Chris Cromartie, 23, is also charged in the killing.

“I was gonna give it about a week or two, and then just turn myself in if they didn’t find any leads, but it took about a couple days, and they were knocking at the gym door,” Cromartie said. “My mind is crazy right now. I have not slept since I’ve been here (in jail). It’s not because of the case itself. It’s because I have insomnia.”

Cromartie said he knew he could have stayed to try and help Proutey after the shooting, but it was too late.

“I could have did CPR, but CPR was not going to help him out,” Cromartie said. “But to Joshua’s family, I apologize.”

Cromartie, Grady and Jasmine Dottin are in jail without bond. They could face the death penalty.

Because Henry is a minor, his bond is set at $2 million. He faces a maximum sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

• MOM says:

You have got to be kidding me!!!!! Robbing an innocent person is OK? Daniel is as guilty as the rest of the GANG that killed Joshua. Working for his money is not his thing? WHATEVER! Hopefully Daniel will get what he deserves while he spends his life in prison…….He will never have to work now……I guess prison is his thing then. He knew they were all going to rob someone, so maybe he should have used his brain and chose his friends more wisely……BIRDS OF A FEATHER FLOCK TOGETHER!

• Windsnake6969 says:

You’re right …. none of us know Daniel personally, because we do not hang out with loser thugs like him. Since you seem to believe he’s such a good person and , answer me this …. If “he would have tried to help if he could have” then why was he not the one to call 911? Why did he not stay with the victim instead of speeding away with the victim’s stolen money and sandwich? Do you honestly think the victim’s family should accept his ‘apology’??? I am eagerly awaiting your reply.

• Back from the Service says:

I just got back from Josh Proutey’s service to read these comments.It was a lovely service that no parent should ever have to go through. There were eulogies read, tears shed, and a beautiful song sung by Josh’s coworkers (all African Americans) that was truly touching. Towards the end of the service, Josh’s uncle pleaded for peace and not anger, to walk away from the feelings of retribution that so many of these senseless crimes engender. However, all of the people that perpetrated this crime, SHOULD BE PUNISHED to the full extent of the law! Each one of them made the decision to act as a group and commit this crime. Each one of the perpetrators knew full well that Quintel Grady, as an ex-felon was carrying a loaded handgun. Each one of the perpetrators had already tried to victimize another person 20 minutes before Josh Proutey was selected as the next victim. After their first victim escaped to safety, any one of the perpetrators could have changed their minds about committing a crime, but they did not. They chose to continue with their violence, and to escalate it further, a decision that resulted in the death of an innocent young man. Start taking responsibilities for your actions, and stop blaming other people for your personal moral failings and bad decisions. Josh was going to school to improve his life. Any one of the perpetrators could have easily done the same with their lives. It doesn’t take much to get some work and go to community college if you try. There’s plenty of people that have come from disadvantaged backgrounds that do just that. No, what they chose to do, was to take the easy way out. I know plenty of good people who come from nothing, and are law-abiding citizens who have worked for everything they have. The difference with these perpetrators is that they chose to become enmeshed in a culture of violence where despicable acts have become a “right of passage” for far too many people. Their world for them, glorifies violence, and mocks morality. If the perpetrators were there during the cold-blooded murder of a young man, then they are complicit in the conspiracy of robbery and murder. It’s as simple as that. As simple as the choices you make in life, and the people you choose to be around. May justice be served in this case for Josh Proutey and his family.

• windy says:

Apparently your little sister had no problem with filling her gas tank with money stolen from the murder victim, nor did she see anything wrong with indulging in the stolen sandwich. For supposedly never hanging out with the wrong crowd as you claim, she certainly felt comfortable doing so that night!
    Face the facts .. she is locked up where she belongs. No one cares if you get to see her again, and regardless things WILL never be the same for you or her. Perhaps it’s time to stop thinking about yourself and your own criminal woes. Let’s think about the VICTIM’s family for a moment. THEY are the ones who will never see their son again, and for whom things will never be the same. THEY are the ones who deserve sympathy. NOT YOU.

• B M says:

Good points, I’ll say one thing for those looking to hit some white dude’s house for money, you come to this house and I’ll leave the light on, but I can gaurantee you it will be a career altering choice you just made! It’s time for poor defenseless people to be kept from being victimized by younger, stronger, punks, it just makes you very sad to see such a young mans life cut short for a little gas money and some pot, if they hadn’t been caught it would not have been another week and they would have done it all over again.

After reading these comments shows how ignorant some people can be. I dont think that making racist comments is going to change things at all. All i have read is that white people have money,white people work hard, or blacks are thugs. But lets just keep it real right now. There are black people who are more wealthy then whites there are blacks that work hard, there are blacks that get robbed and killed for stupid stuff. So to judge all blacks on a couple of black kids wrong doing is not right. The sad part is when a black man kill a white man they get all sorts of nasty comments about them, their ghetto,thugs, came from a broken up home. Now lets turn the table what about the whites shooting up the schools,killing innocent kids, robbing people now what are they just in the last couple of days it was 3 white boys on the news for sending threats to a school bout shooting it up, now are they thugs,gansters. I guess not because they are white. It just kills me to hear this nonsense, and for anyone to say HANG THEM WHAT THE HELL THIS IS NOT SLAVERY DAYS, SO WHAT IS THEY GOING TO DO ABOUT THE WHITE MAN THAT SHOT UP THE MOVIES CAN THEY HANG HIM TO OR NO CAUSE HE’S WHITE THEY NOT GIVING HIM LIFE THEY SAY HE HAD A MENTAL ILLNESS WHAT THE HELL WRONG WITH THAT PICTURE YOU TELL ME. NOW BEFORE U JUDGE BLACKS LOOK AT THE WHITES CRIMES AND ASK YOURSELF ARE THEY THUGS AND GANSTAS.

• windy says:

In general, society does not feel compassion for the parents of murderers. Why? Children are direct results of their parents’ upbringing. In other words, if the parents did their jobs as PARENTS, then these thugs would not have been out on the street that night killing people.

• T says:

I think he was hanging with the wrong people at the wrong time and should have been through a different incident other than this for him to realize the value of life. He seems to see now and life is too harsh for a youth who has a good heart and mind but he just needs to mature and find himself (the man God made him to be). The fact that he mentioned God is very good because it shows that he has a concision and realizes that he can do better and be better than a criminal running the streets. Henry should be sentenced some years but not life because he has the potential to be a positive person, he just seemed to be around the wrong influence and this should be a lessened learned. His actions should be recorded to see if he acts truly as a criminal while locked up with true criminals. Also, the fact that he said he would’ve took the bullet for Joshua is eye opening, it is very rare for someone who is a hard up criminal to have a conscious and a good heart to say that.

• Whoever I am… I am a concerned citizen of this city.

They SHOULD ALL be punished at the highest level. Don’t judge them you say, I am suppose to learn that in elementary school. Well, don’t know where you went or is you went to school but where I went I was taught right from wrong. Only an uneducated person would say the things you said. Just because the losers didn’t “pull the trigger” doesn’t mean they are not GUILTY. They were there, they wanted to rob someone, that’s all it takes…. I have never been in that situation, oh, you ask why…. well, because I knew better, I knew not to rob people, hang out with people that rob others, or hang out with people that carry loaded guns. Uneducated and Ignorant.

Oh, by the way…. I don’t care what was going through his mind at the time, any of them. I hope the state doesn’t care either. There is NO EXCUSE for this crap.

What THEY (all of them) did was wrong and I hope they pay.

• Norissa Dottin says:

Im not going to listen to a word anyone has to say about my younger sister, Jasmine Dottin. My tiny little family is grieving for her, and my heart breaks every time I read what people on the internet have to say about her because of her race but I know her better than anyone. She is not a thug. Nor a gangster or a murderer. My sister needs to be taught a lesson for robbery, but sentencing her to life in prison, with no bail and the death penalty is unspeakable.
    Daniel Henry was my sisters boyfriend and has influenced her to do wrong since they met. These guys took advantage of the fact that Jasmine had a car. They used her. My sister never even hangs out with people like this. She’s the one that was with the wrong people at the wrong time. And if I never get to see her again…or spend time with her the way I have all my life, I’ll never be the same again. She doesn’t need to be pinned with first degree murder.
    And as my boyfriend said, I wish you would let people see her side of the story. How can you not be curious about the only female in a group of thugs? That’s not fair. Cromarte Jr. is lying about things, cussing, and laughing in his interview. What kind of crap is that? No remorse… yet he got my sister into the worse possible situation. He is the murderer. He’s the one that bought and fired that gun.
    Lets get real…

• Guestme says:

But in his news paper interview he said that they need the money for gas and a marijuana wrap. So which one is it.

• Guesttoo says:

Every single one of them benefited from that crime. There were many, many points along the way in which they could have gotten off the bandwagon. Instead, they all were riding in a car that had gasoline knowlingly purchased with proceeds from a murder.

Only one pulled the trigger but all four reaped the reward.

• Guestme says:

U know u r an a**hole for this 5 parents have lost thier kids. Just cause the kids did wrong dont come at the parents like that. If that was your child then guess what u lost a child that mad a real bad decision.

• windsnake says:

So, in other words, your sister is innocent and was essentially FORCED to drive the get-away vehicle for the accused murderers, against her will?
    It is highly offensive that you would consider HER to be “in the wrong place at the wrong time.” She chose to be involved in criminal activity that night, first by participating in stalking a woman with intent to rob her, and then participating in what ended up being a murder. The VICTIM was in the “wrong place at the wrong time.” Your sister sought him out intentially, personally driving a car full of thugs to their next victim.
    And for the record … No one is “curious about the only female in the group.” A thug is a thug. A piece of trash is a piece of trash. Her actions clearly speak of the fact that she is an unworthy member of society.

• Ewo says:

Here we see him describing his lifeplan to be dead or in prison for a long time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJHwIYRVMcU&feature=share

• windsnake69 says:

If Jasmine Dottin wasn’t driving the vehicle, transporting the killer to his prey, then none of this would have happened in the first place and an innocent life would not have been lost. And if she were such a great person as you claim, why did she not attempt to help the victim or at least call 911?

• Guest20562 says:

let me guess you are going to yell discrimination so maybe she will get off. or better yet go call jesse jackson or al sharpton or the naacp. she is guilty by being at the crime scene GUILTY GUILTY.

• Guest20562 says:

There is not many Christians that will go out and rob,steal,shoot people. Maybe that is the way they are taught at your Church but not at a Christian Church I have ever been to. Two wrongs don’t make a right and neither does three stealing, robbing, killing just don;t add up. So again Guilty.

• PublicAvenger says:

As the result of your sister’s decision to committ robbery, a innocent, hard working young boy’s lifeless body is laying on a cold metal table, in some morgue. What is “unspeakable”, is the act of evil she, and the other thugs committed against this young man.

• Patti says:

An eye for a eye. They should all be sentenced to death. I teach my children that if they are with someone that does something wrong they are just a guilty. They went out that night to commit crimes. My daughter and friends are suffering everyday without Josh. He was truly a amazing kid. If i could bring all his friends to the trial i would. Your famlys should be embarrassed of you all. There is no forgiveness here.

Your wonderful innocent little sister is exactly where she belongs! She has stolen from my mother(who is elderly and on a fixed income)on more than one occasion! We where all victims of Jasmine’s lies! We tried to help her when she had no where to go! And she took advantage of my families generosity! Her boyfriend also assaulted my daughter one afternoon in a walmart parking lot! And why? Because she stuck up for Jasmine after he verbally abused her! He threw my daughter out of the car and pushed her to the ground. A woman seen it all and called 911! Jasmine left my daughter on the ground and sped off! Why? Because there was a gun and drugs in her car! And she was driving with no tags! Yeah Jasmine is a perfect person! NOT! I honestly hope all 4 of them get what they deserve! Life in prision death penalty? Doesn’t matter to me! She’s just as much to blame as the one who pulled the trigger! GUILTY BY ASSOCIATION!

Is this a ploy to have their sentence lightened when they are convicted? Do these THUGS really think their “apologies” help?
    Life for those involved, death for the shooter!

• T100C1970 says:

If President Obama had a son “he’d look just like Daniel Henry”.

Although the killings by psychotic, privileged white and asian kids (and the killing by one cop-wannabe “white Hispanic”) get all the press. the total number of victims of these crimes is DWARFED by the number of killings perpetrated by black street thugs.

Furthermore, the majority of the thugs’ victims are also black and all of this killing is pretty much ignored…. Though after a child became collateral damage in Chicago, Mayor “Rhambo” Emmanuel bravely asked the gang bangers to take their shootouts to the back alleys where they were less likely to endanger children!!

• Grand Ole Party says:

How about learning English prior to posting. Yes they should be hung high, white, black, who gives a damn. A murderous thug is a murderous thug. They should all be put down like rabid dogs. Understand?

• Guesticles says:

Who would have expected him to be so poor with the English language?

• Harry reeves says:

We as a society and especially Joshua’s family should settle for no less than LIFE WOP for this dispicable act. I don’t feel any empathy AT ALL for these low down, murderous thugs. Where is the outrage, wheres Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.Yeah, as long as its white boys being shot… no problem!

• Btant86 says:

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!

• sally3 says:

oh, so i guess he’s wanting sympthy now sinse he was caught?
    would he still feel this way if he had gotten away with it? well, of course not. these animals goes out and kills people who is GOOD, DECENT,
    has a good future because they were willing to get out there and go for
    it instead of hanging out in gyms and walking the roads, and hunting down white people to rob and kill because they always got money. are you kidding me? most people gets out and works for what little they have and then for some animal to come and take it from them? and then have the gall to say, i shot him because he didn’t o’bey me??? let all the scum bags that was there that nite HANG!!! because all this shooting was ABOUT was black against white. and now they want to take our guns that does protect us from people like this? i don’t think so!!! obama is out of his mind. he has done enough to tare this country down. so feel sorry for them but wait till it happens to some one you love or care about.

• The Skinny says:

We were just a bunch of cowards, ganging up, as we always do, and going out to committ a hold-up. I had no idea, anyone was gonna be shot. I was gonna call 911 that night, to save his life, but I forgot the number. I was just getting ready to walk out the door, to go to the Police, when they arrested me. I don’t think its right for MY young life to be ruined. In the name of God, I be so sorry. Just give me time served, and probation, and I promise I won’t do it again.

This guy is a cold blooded killer. Who chose to destroy another young person’s life. How he lies, and apologies, at the same time, just confirms what a sick, evil, monster he is. His lies, are a insult Joshu’s mother. Because of his selfish, cruel actions, a young, hard-working boy, who came to this town, to achieve his dream, is now laying lifeless on a metal table, in some morgue.

• Your sister says:

Your sister is a criminal who made the choice to involve herself in a horrific, inhuman crime. As the other posters have stated, she also chose to drive that night, enjoy Josh Proutey’s sandwich, and fill her car up with gas, all while Josh Proutey was dying in the parking lot where they shot him. Just like the rest of the group involved in this crime, your sister is an immoral animal. She could have, at any time, chose to stop, but she did not! Time for everyone, including her family, to be responsible and accept the fact that she is a dangerous criminal that deserves harsh punishment!

• PublicAvenger says:

My heart “grieves”, for the innocent young boy, who was slaughtered by your evil, robbing, murdering, sister.

• tweety11 says:

are you crazy or just don’t know any better.A mother lost a son to a sensless murder and you are talking about a food card.REALLY.

• tweety11 says:

Grand ole see you are alive and still talking out of both sides of your neck.You know you don’t mean that.You see color all day everyday.

• tweety11 says:

What is that? The next time you are stopped at a light and you hear some rap music playing look at the car next to you and see who is sitting in the driver seat.It might surprise you.Better yet listen to your children music it might scare the hell out of you.

• windy says:

The post to which you are referring was NOT ‘about a food card.’ It was about the leaches of society, such as murderer Cromartie, who spend their lives taking, taking, taking from the rest of us. Whether public assistance, section 8 housing, food stamps, money (i.e., robbery), or even other people’s lives as in this particular case. People like Cromartie are disgraces to society.

• PublicAvenger says:

Wait a minute. Daniel Henry, on camera, pretends to be this innocent, upset, 17 year old, crybaby.

You mean, he’s really fronting ? You mean he’s really the cold-blooded, gangsta-thug, bully, his past indicates ?

• Guest20562 says:

They All should be took to the river front downtown Wilmington and be shot by the firing squad. Maybe this will set a example for the rest of the thugs. I hope the DA’S office fires all of them to the fullest extent of the law. and notice what I said All 4 of them.

• M291 says:

How can you possibly know how these two men feel about the murder. Also, understand that they committed robbery, not murder. They are charged with the murder under the felony murder rule. This rule survives in the US, but has been abandoned in many other countries. Wanting to commit robbery and wanting to commit murder are different; such that the state won’t even have to prove any level of mental culpability (The state doesn’t have to prove they wanted to kill anyone).

The defendants absolutely deserve our ire, but the absolute vial I’ve read here makes me concerned for our ability as a community to get through this intact.

• tweety11 says:

Maybe you should read the post again.For as comprehension its just fine.Your take is your opinion,mind opinion is mind, does that make me right or wrong?You republicans kill me if its not what you believe or say its not right(not republicans as you see the word)

• Nickayla says:

Whoever you are…
    You don’t have the right mind set.
    You just said that police should be worring about
    Getting the ghetto out of Wilmington, but who are you judge someone?
    You don’t know where they came from or lived so its those like you that are the first to stereotype.
    Considering that I know that one person that was involved with this, doesn’t live in the “ghetto” you should stop being the one to steriotype. I’ll pray that god helps you with your stereotyping problem.
    Yes it’s your opinion to think if something is wrong but it’s not your right to steriotype someone
    If you do not know that person. Have you heard that saying”don’t judge a book by its cover”
    Well if you don’t know exactly what was going through someone’s mind you have not no one else has a right
    To judge one, if. You do not know them then do not judge them, you are supposed to learn that in elementary school.
    Yes one person had done extremly wrong in this group. And since others were associated with them
    Then yes they do deserve a small punishment, although
    As Daniel said, he cannot control someone else’s actions. And that is the truth! So he shouldn’t get charged for 1st degree murder. He didn’t pull the trigger he was just around someone who was out to hurt someone else.
    He did not pull the trigger and wasnt there to stand I front of the bullet, he had no control on what went on in That mans head before he pulled the trigger. I feel as if you are one to judge someone so quickly others should judge
    You as fast as you judge others to show you how it feels to be judged. So don’t be so judge mental if you don’t know someone personally.

Welcome to the United States it isn’t my fault America.

Ask any of these thugs, they will tell you work is for suckers.

• Cathy Hargett says:

Sadly, 5 sets of parents have lost children in this case. I pray for them all.

• anne says:

As I watched the interview, several questions and thoughts came to my mind:

(1) This young man, who looked so tough in his mug shot, wasn’t looking as tough any more
    (2) This “man” looked like a scared little boy

I guess sitting behind those bars kind of wakes you up to what you did. When you set out that night to intentionally rob someone, you were playing the “game”. It is not a game any more – it is murder

What were you thinking as you strolled the streets looking for an easy mark? What went through your mind seeing Josh scared? What went through your mind when your buddy pulled out the gun and shot him?

Joshua’s family and friends will be visiting his gravesite – they won’t have the ability to talk to him any more. At least your mom and family can talk to you – even if it is behind bars.

Dont’ know if this will change you any – hope it does

• Well.... says:

After something like this happens in our city, people jump to say that we point fingers to who committed the crime, and that we also have to point out the race of the person and if they are from the ghetto.

Well straight from the idiots mouth….

Cromartie said he needed the money to travel to New York to pick up his 3-year-old son. “I figured if I robbed a white person in a good neighborhood, they’re bound to have money lying around,” he added. Henry and Grady planned to rob somebody to get money for gas and a marijuana wrap, Cromartie said.

Isn’t this the pot calling the kettle black???

They figured white people in a nice neighborhood would have money, oh yeah, they do, because THEY WORKED FOR IT AND LIVED AN HONEST LIFE.

White + Good Neighborhood = $$$$

Ghetto + Ghetto= STUPID LAZY FOOL

Ignorant fool.

When will they learn a lesson? Maybe when our police worry more about cleaning OUT the ghetto’s from the beautiful city rather than hiding out (sitting in the car, doing nothing) waiting to give a speeding ticket.

• ChefnSurf says:

Deliberately choosing to randomly rob someone will do that to you. Next thing you know, people think you’re a thug. That’s just sooooo unfair!

I can hardly hold back my tears for this pitiable, stereotyped young man. It’s society’s fault he chose to rob someone for some weed and gas money. If only society had set up a weed and gas money trust account for him, none of this would have happened!

• DITTOS says:

There’s not a place hot enough in hell for these thugs…the epidemic continues.

• Guestaphonics says:

These young men have crocodile tears running down their cheeks.

Their comments are insincere; they are merely posturing for sympathy. They made the choice to rob people, and they knew guns were invovled.

They destroyed an innocent life, and because of their wanton act of violence, they have destroyed their lives as well.

Happens every day. Nothing unique about these criminals.

I pray for 1 set of those parents

• Gods Child says:

So your being racist? I know for a fact Daniel isn’t racist
    I don’t know the others although I do know that
    Yes they were in the wrong for being associated with this although
    I do believe that Daniel didn’t know that the man that he was hanging around
    Would kill another man. But he couldn’t have saved him and I know he would have if he could
    Besides hanging around the wrong crowed he does have a good heart
    And he wouldn’t ever hurt a soul. And for you to try and say that
    They are racist… That shows that you are as well. Daniel isn’t even full black but
    You wouldn’t know that right? Because you judge others by their appearance.
    Go to church and learn not to judge others.

• Reality says:

White people get real and listen, these songs tell you everything you need to know about gangster thugs thinking. And get out there and volunteer and help out with the inner city gyms gang diversionary programs to try to keep four more from hitching a ride over to your hood tonite.

• BerthaButBoogie says:

Daniel is a wonderful person. He’s a good Christian, and he’s sorry. He just wanted to rob Joshua of the money he earned. He didn’t mean to rob him of his life. Daniel is a young man, and needed money. Working for it, is just not his thing. He, along with the others, decided to take what the other young boy had worked for.

Chin up Daniel, my brother. Be positive. The Daniel I know is a loving, energetic, and caring person. I have every hope, that in five years you will be a prison “Trustee”. In less then 10 years, you will be a “Honor Inmate”. Maybe with dreams, and motivation, “Inmate Of The Year” at Central Prison, in less then 25 years. Then you can be proud of yourself, because you earned it.

Did your Daniel stay behind and call 911 when the other shot the gun? Did your Daniel reach down and try to save the young man? Did your Daniel yell out “no” don’t shoot him? NOOOOOOOOO, he went and ate the sandwich and spent the money at a local store Right after the deed was done. Get off of here and go read your Bible and ask God why DIDN’T your Daniel do the right thing!!!

• Steve says:

The police do clean it out and the people we have placed in power let them right back out over and over.

Do to this tragic loss in Ct we are now talking about exactly the wrong kind of gun control.
    In 2011 there were 12,000 murders!
    About 8,000 but handguns. In 2005, 75% of the 10,100 homicides committed using firearms in the United States were committed using handguns, compared to 4% with rifles, 5% with shotguns, and the rest with a type of firearm not specified.
    most murders are not committed by previously law-abiding citizens either going berserk, or because a gun was handy during a moment of uncontrollable rage: suddenly “blow-away” their spouse, friend, neighbor, acquaintance, or all four.

Studies conducted at both the local and national level indicate the overwhelming majority of murders are committed by people with previous criminal records. Even a significant percentage of homicide victims themselves have criminal records.

We know most murders and committed by prior felons with handguns just like this man.
    My question is why are we going after long guns and not trying to do anything against prior felons with handguns?

How about 20 years no parole for a felon caught with a gun?
    30 if he is using it in a crime.

• The truth says:

Those that were involved should not be sentenced for life.
    Considering they did not pull the trigger much less might not have known that
    The killer was going to pull the trigger. You can’t blame everyone for something one
    Man did. You are do quick to judge these humans as thugs. And you are referring to the two who apologized.
    They couldn’t have helped if they tried. Daniel would have tried to help if he could have, you do not know him personally and yes apologies might not mean much. But for those that didn’t pull the trigger and didn’t know he was going to pull the trigger they’re apologies should mean something. Don’t judge one so quick if you do not know them.
    God says forgive. And don’t hold grudges. Yes it is hard but they apologized for someone else’s actions. They did not plan to kill him only one person had that thought in their mind.
    The others should not be charged as a murderer when they did not hold the gun and pull the trigger.

• wilmciti says:

I dont know henry, cromatrie, grady, or dottin personally so i cant comment on their hearts and their secret thoughts. Really..none of us can because we are not God. They are surely responsible (directly and/or indirectly) for a young man’s death..a senseless murder.

These young folks have made the worst decision they can possible make. Their decision has plunged the Ploutey family into the ultimate sorrow, and their own families into shame, embarassment, sorrow, and despair. They have no earthly idea about the reality of this situation, the anger they face from the community, and the prison time they are facing. But, most importantly, these young folks will never forget the events surrounding that night..the moment Joshua Proutey was shot, how he collapsed right before their eyes, and the blood shed.

My point, where are the programs for these youth..the mentoring programs. Barfield, Cheatham, and other prominent black men in this city need to GET OFF THEIR BUTTS AND DO SOMETHING. Is it their job..yes it it! Every time you turn around, some of them are at some ribbon-cutting ceremony smiling for the camera. Mentor these kids, start an organization like 100 Black Men. These programs are invaluable in other cities, they offer their expertise to help direct the lives of the younger generation.

• Psych says:

It is what it is, Chris Cromartie played double-agent gang member by volunteering and getting in good with the community so no one would suspect him of crimes like robbing white people in Forest Hills and downtown. He had no intention of working in a job to earn money and he shows no remorse. He is an adult gang member posing as a community youth volunteer. Thug with a smile, no different than a spying terrorist.

• Guestme says:

So every black person that kills somebody is a thug? Racist. So I wounder what do yall call white people when they kill somebody? Only in america.

• A close observer says:

My girlfriend is Jasmine Dottin’s sister and knows that she would never be capable of murder. Granted she had a theft problem and deserves to be punished for those crimes but not first degree murder. That responsibility should fall on the one that pulled the trigger and took someone’s life. If anyone was with the wrong people at the wrong time it’s her. She was dating Daniel Henry and was therefore able to be easily persuaded to do his bidding (Like drive him and his merry band of goons around). The media should get everyone’s side not just 2 of the 4 people. She needs to be taught a lesson, but the only person that truly deserves life in prison/execution is he who pulled the trigger.

• Guestme says:

Why do people say something about rap when they kill somebody. I mean rock and roll really is not any better. Like just cause I listen to rap doesnt mean I am going to kill somebody. So stop with the have u listen to rap. And 9 times out of 10 its just music.

• Tracie C says:

How is “going to rob some white people’s home because they’ll have money” NOT racist? I’m glad you KNOW he isn’t racist. What I KNOW is he was party to a robbery/murder. He was part of a group of people “hunting” (HIS words NOT mine) someone to rob.
    KNOW this: hindsight is 20/20, too bad he didn’t use his “20/20″ before looking for a wrap to pull off that “420” he would have so gladly participated in if the murder hadn’t happened. THEN he would have kept hanging with the “people he didn’t know” right?
    Tell your “buddy” to man the hell up and just admit to himself what he is: a friggin CRIMINAL. No pity, no mercy.

• GuestX says:

Your lowlife scum of a friend chose to go out and target people to rob at gunpoint. He admitted that he knew the guy had a gun. He admitted that he was intending to find targets to rob. When asked if he had done it before he didn’t answer, which is the answer. He is a piece of dirt that has no respect for human life. He chose to go that night. Unless his iq is fifty, he knew that with a gun someone could die. He is responsible for his actions. I do not wish for someone with that character to walk the streets with me or my loved ones. He needs to be put away for life. If he is let out, the attourney who represents him and the jury have the blood of his future victims on their hands.

With that being said, if you consider what he did not worthy of life in prison, then I imagine your morals are just as corrupt. It is probably only time before you join your low life friend in prison. I hope it isn’t with the blood of someone else.

My friend, that would be the dead one, was good, and kind. He was intelligent and funny. He was a Christian and a Marine. He is worth a hell of a lot more than $19, a cell phone, and a sandwich.

• Guest200000 says:

I see other Cromartie arrests this week, are they kin to Chris Cromartie Jr? I am not misled about his Jesus postings on the internet anymore. If his grandma was in the hospital like he said, is this why he didn’t have anyone to get gas money from in his family and led his friends on a mission to rob, to buy him gas? The sandwich theft part, is these mothers getting food stamp cards for the younger high school kids and not giving their kids their own food cards to them to eat on when they are not home? That happens a lot and they should also be charged with theft if they get public funds to feed their kids and keep it themselves. The child welfare manager should be required to post the list by numbers of people in each map location receiving food cards paid by tax funds.
    12/22/2012 09:37 Arrest Arrestee: CROMARTIE, JAY JAWAN
    Charge: DISCHARGING FIREARMS 203 S 11TH ST
    12/26/2012 06:06 Arrest Arrestee: CROMARTIE, NICOLE LATRICE
    Charge: AFFRAY 208 MARKET ST

• RSmith says:

he got caught and has to pay the piper! I’ve read the other articles where he talks about the crime. He’s the one that took the sandwich! Yep.. murder always makes me hungry too.

They took a life for $10, a cellphone and a sandwich… send them to prison for the rest of their lives.

• PublicAvenger says:

About as “remorseful” as OJ Simpson.

I would be sorry and begging for my life also if I knew the Death sentence was in my future. They meant to rob someone and that was what they did, except the young man lost his life. Black, white purple, brown or green, Hang their butts!

What a strange disconnect these two display here. They really don’t understand how they are connected to a murder. In their minds it was just another simple robbery for them, and they share no responsibility in the outright execution of an innocent kid. I’m sure the shooter thinks the same way, it’s not his fault either, if the kid had just gotten back in the car everything would have been cool and I wouldn’t have blown a hole in his head.

Sadly I don’t think you can fix people like this. Get them off the planet ASAP

• Leah Darnell says:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! THEY SHOULD ALL BE PUT UNDER THE JAIL FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES.

• Das Weibstück says:

If, if, if. Whatever. Both of you are animals.

• PublicAvenger says:

These EVIL MONSTERS are the REASON every law abiding citizen would be crazy, not to have a gun.