Gun control debate reaches Southport

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Mon, 12/31/2012 - 3:39pm

SOUTHPORT, NC (WWAY) — The tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School has once again brought the topic of gun control to the forefront. But some local gun owners warn against knee-jerk reactions.

As the president and Congress are arguing the gun control debate, so are folks right here at home. Today, I spoke with gun owners who say more laws are not the answer.

“I am skeptical that the only answer is putting more guns in schools,” President Obama said in an interview today.

“Put law enforcement or armed security guards in these places where we want our children to be protected,” said gun owner Joseph Parent.

There does not seem to be much middle ground for the two sides in the gun control debate.

“Gun control is not the problem. Control the people,” said gun owner Richard Timberlake. The gun doesn’t kill anybody. The idiot behind it uses it to kill somebody.”

Ever since the shooting at Sandy Hook there have been increased talks in Washington for stricter firearms laws.

Gun owners at the Ant Hill shooting range in Southport say such laws would only hurt the good guys.

“If you want a gun, you’re going to get a gun,” said gun owner Joe Hill. “I spent many years in the police department. You’re going to get a gun, legal or not.”

They say for them, shooting is just a hobby.

“Some people enjoy yoga. Some people enjoy running. I enjoy coming out and meeting like-minded americans in a safe environment with good, safe, friendly competition,” said Parent.

A USA Today poll taken shortly after the Sandy Hook Massacre shows 58% of people now favor stricter gun laws, that is up from 43% the same time last year.

68 Comments on "Gun control debate reaches Southport"

Mr.T
2015 years 8 months ago

Years ago I was an avid rabbit hunter. We would always use the phrase
” He didn’t have a rabbits chance” when some body would have bad luck. Under today,s gun standards, I would accept a rabbits chance! You see when we hunted rabbits, by law you had to have a plug in your gun, you were limited to three shells in a semi-automatic shotgun. Today we are up against 30 to 100 rounds. Now if your answer is Rabbits don’t shoot back, your missing the point!!

Debbie
2015 years 8 months ago

I’m not brain washed by NRA or anyone else. You also do not have the right to tell me what I can or can’t own. I do not tell you. You have a opinion that is different is all. I do not understand why you feel the need to insult people because they do not want to give up the guns they have purchased. You think we all are paranoid and it is exhausting for you. People like you exhaust me. Because you think you have a right to tell some one else how they should think and how they should live. Just because some people do not agree with you doesn’t make them wrong or hate filled. You are the one that seems to have no understanding of anyone else views. You just said yourselve that it won’t save anyones life. But meeting force with force will save lives. Nut jobs will still get the guns they want because we know they don’t do things normally. On the other hand I do understand your fear of what might happen next. People that own these types of guns have valid reason for owning them. You just don’t see things the way they do. If you start banning types of guns the next thing you like minded individuals will be saying is we can prevent more killings if we just add this gun or that gun to the list of banned weapons. What if there was something you enjoyed doing like shooting guns at targets and some one wanted to ban what ever you enjoyed. Don’t you think you would get upset? Try to look at this issue from both sides. You do know that this kind of sickness in the world is not going to stop because you banned a gun. Sick individuals will just use a different object to get the attention they seem to need. Maybe it will be a bomb which would kill so many more. You just have to protect yourselve and others the best way you can by fighting fire with fire.

Guest123234
2015 years 8 months ago

I hope you all feel better about yourself making these arguments. Lets change or make new laws that wont change anything for an entire population of law abiding gun owners since a few nut jobs who go off the deep end. The Bushmaster is such a “scary” looking gun it just has to be banned. Who do you think the only people who will have it be if that happens. Please step out of your bubble and join us in the real world.

JARHEAD
2015 years 8 months ago

AMEN…… Ex-Marine, Ex-Police Officer… the ACLU turned the nuts loose, the courts allow the killers to remain on the streets. You want my gun(S)… Pry my dead, cold fingers from around it!!! Semper-Fi…

Guest CommonTater
2015 years 8 months ago

You need a dose of perspective as well.

” Look at Columbine they had armed guards at that school the day of the shooting, but there was nothing the guard could do… the shooters studied the guard and made sure they used an entrance the guard wasn’t attending to… ” – John

Assault rifle ban was from 1994 to 2004. Over 160 deaths at school shootings during this time. How’d that ban work out?

Your last sentence says it all… I think so.