UPDATE: Victim identified in deadly moped accident on U.S. 74/76

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 02/05/2013 - 11:00am
Updated: Wed, 02/06/2013 - 12:25pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — An accident late Monday night on Highway 74 claimed the life of 38-year-old Mark Mooring of Wilmington. Mooring was riding a moped that collided with a semi.

Moped dealer Michael Gary said, “He came out of there and lost it, may have had a flat tire or something and it put him over there, I don’t think he intentionally ran across that traffic.”

The Highway Patrol believes Mooring, who was not licensed, merged into the left lane and into the right rear section of a semi-trailer. Typical moped accidents do not involve the bikes hitting other vehicles.

New legislation aimed at registering the small motor bikes and their riders is moving forward in Raleigh. Local dealers like the idea but don’t think it will prevent accidents.

Larry O’Donnell, who owns a scooter shop said, “I don’t think it’s really going to affect the safety, it’s up to the operator of the scooter to be aware of his surroundings and know his vehicle. Most of the time it’s human error.”

O’Donnell does think the new legislation will help reduce theft. He says, “They’re really easy to steal, you just pick one up, go throw it in the truck if you want, most of the time they are never recovered.”

Mopeds and scooters are big sellers right now because of high gas prices but, it’s rider beware, there are hazards and you cannot operate one while drinking.

The Highway Patrol believes the driver of the semi may be unaware that he was in a collision. If you have any information about this accident contact the North Carolina Highway Patrol.

• John says:

I’m a responsible adult.
    I have a couple cars and valid license
    I own a scooter.
    Purchased primarily to scoot around garage sales on Saturdays
    Also purchased because its unregulated,in these days and times very few motorized forms of transportation exist that the government does not have their hand in your pocket — you buy the scooter,wear a helmet,put gas in it and that’s it.
    Think gas is pricey now? Think about after a bad storm where gas is rationed and supplies limited or bad trouble in the Middle East how valuable is a cheap,efficient mode of motorized transportation?

Get your ducks in a row folks because its not always gonna be a sub 5 buck gas – have options

• Vog46 says:

A Moped is limited in size to about a 50cc motor and is governed to go only 30/35 mph?

A scooter (or Moped/Scooter as I’ve seen) can go up to 150cc and are not governed giving them higher top speeds?
    Is that right?
    IF the vehicle is capable of going 55 mph is the scooter required to run on the right side of the lane or can it stay in the middle, like an automobile?
    Back in the 60s it was a Vespa or something like that that I rode in Vietnam. Thought it was fun….

Vog

I can not fathom why it is STILL LEGAL to drive mopeds on our NC roads!! Keep them on the BEACH ROADS ONLY!!! They are such a SAFETY HAZARD on our roads and in the event of an accident, MOPED GUILTY EVERYTIME!!!! GET THEM OFF OUR ROADS!!

• My personal opinion from expirience.. LEO has other issues than worrying about freaking mopeds.. 50cc 150cc or otherwise.. However the law needs to focus on them regarding the 30 mph speed limit on flat surfaces ( mine does 75 down hill shussssh! ) Make sure the rider complies with the .08 BAC tolerance.. And basic rules as a car or truck under 24K GVWR regarging NCGS 20-150 rules.. Dont be hatin ..And dont hate it when a 150cc moped leaves ur @## sittin in the dust.. I have 3 .. My bad
    With upgrades even.. Its a game called>> Dont get caught.. Nuff said

• Kim says:

I am so shocked and saddened by the loss of this precious life. I will pray for his family and friends who will miss him so much. He was such a joy to be around and always made people smile. He was so friendly and kind hearted and loved everyone. I knew Mark personally and it saddens me that people always try to find the negative in a person’s life, especially in a time like this. I am saddened at the possibility of his parents reading the negative that some felt they needed to post. I am also saddened that some would try and point the finger at the truck driver, as I agree he probably had no idea he had hit anything. I am also certain that a gust of wind is what probably could have caused the swerve and that there is no one to blame. The thing I do know is that no matter what happens in life, God has a plan for all of us. He had precious plans for Mark and blessed this world with his presence. He has left behind a wonderful family who will miss him dearly. I am so thankful that God allowed me to know Mark and I know that no matter what choices Mark may have made in life, he made mistakes just like everyone else who has walked this earth has made. No one is perfect, we are all born sinners. I am thankful that we are loved by a loving God who forgives all sins, as we should. Thank you Mark for the smiles we shared. Thank you God for a promise of Heaven through your son, Jesus. An angel has been called home. Rest in peace Mark.

• Carteret county says:

Mark was a son of carteret county where throughout his brief life touched hundreds upon hundreds of different lives with his special brand of wit, humor and awesomeness. All of you self righteous diarrhea mouthed public safety experts are pathetic. You were not fortunate enough in your boring little worker bee lives to know mark, that dude lived more in a week than most of you will live in a lifetime so shut your pie holes. Nobody asked for any second rate opinions from third rate citizens of new Hanover county.

• Guesttenheimer says:

Crossing the lines of any of those 3 rules makes for a total change of game with a whole new set of liabilities to the rider. There are scooter manufacturers and dealers of this Chinese junk that intentionally cloak the scooter to make it “appear” that it is in compliance.
    It isn’t hard to tell when you pace them at 50 to 60 mph. Most of the police are too busy texting while driving to pay attention.

• Not Surprised says:

I’m sure that everyone writing here is sad for the man who hit the guy on the moped and sad for the man who was killed on the moped, but we can’t just not talk about what happened. We must figure out how to prevent this from happening again! The fact is that NO mopeds should be allowed on ANY roads that don’t have A SHOULDER, if the speed limit is 45 MPH or more! This goes for bicycles, too. Also, they should NOT be allowed to ride their mopeds after dark EVER!!! They go so slow that, before you know it, you’re on top of them! Dow Road in Carolina & Kure Beach, College & Carolina Beach Roads in Wilmington, or any major highway or interstate where you’ve got cars IN TRAFFIC going faster than the moped/bike is a death trap and an accident waiting to happen. I’ve heard the argument that people who have lost their drivers licenses need to work, too; FINE! But then, let them find jobs they can get to without getting out on the major/no-shoulder roads; let them take the bus; or let them get a ride to work from family/friends. Otherwise, too bad! NHC leaders should be ashamed for not thinking this through better.

• Reality says:

A simple background check on this individual will reveal a vast and long history of multiple DUI’s and even failures to stop for police as well as possesion of a weapon of mass destruction. Go check NC department of corrections offender search site and see for yourself. Matter of fact he was actively under supervision by probation/parole. So, the lesson here is that if you take multiple risks to your and others’ lives, you may be forced to operate a moped as a means of transportation. This can result in death and or injury on major highways, and that’s if you are driving them sober. Given Mark’s past recidivism with driving under the influence, I would not be shocked to find out once again he was exorcising his long documented urge to continue to operate a motorized vehicle under the influence. Such a shame…

I really couldn’t have said this any better… I tried…but your words brought tears to my eyes. Thank you. My family and myself thank you for this.

Thank you!!!! He was an amazing, funny, hardworking man that would do anything for anyone especially his gabby!

• Abby. Glad Im not married to you. Ur annoying and display an ignorant approach to something U dont know CHIT about.. Maybe one day< I’ll pull a moped outta ur wind shield .. Then ask, “wazzup?”

• who cares says:

Wow is all I can say. One man is dead and there is a family out there hurting right now and all some of you can do is agrue over hating mopeds and why some of you think they are on them. Everyone has a story to tell and the sad thing about this one is Mark Mooring’s story is over no matter what his reason is for being on a moped. Get a life and agrue over something else and let this man’s family heal.

• Derek says:

I was in Wilmington some years ago trying to get things together, I was struggling with drug addiction and was making a sincere effort to get clean. I had no place to live and all the other results of the choices I had made. I ran into Mark Mooring a friend from school. This guy sat with me listened to my story. He allowed me to stay in his home and fed me until I could get on my feet…….

Now I have been clean over six years. I help lead worship at my church. I also preach on the weekends at the local jail helping other guys like me to find redemption. I owe my progress to people like Mark Mooring who didnt judge me and allowed me to feel human again. We read about the life of Jesus and he was approachable, loving, kind and generous. The doctor came for the sick not the “healed”. He hung out with guys like Mark and I. Mark called me out of the blue last week and we talked about the lord Jesus and I told him all of what I am doing. That day I ran into Mark he was storing up his treasure in heaven. God bless Mark Mooring, friends and family.

All I can do I pray for the people on here that are arguing about mopeds being allowed on the roads.. I knew mark and loved him dearly and reading these comments make me sick because no one here knows him or his situation. He lost his life!!! But that doesn’t matter, all that matters is mopeds shouldn’t be on the road because we are all inconvenienced by them. No one knows the circumstances of why anyone is on them. So no one should be judging because I’m pretty sure you have no room to do so. I can only hope that when some of you lose a friend or family member that you don’t run across a place like this and read mean and hurtful things. Do us all a favor and keep your mouth shut when you don’t have the facts. Thanks. -heartbroken friend

• Tmb says:

Who cares what his records show. He was a son and a brother and a friend and a joy to everyone who knew him. We all make bad decisions and mistakes in life, YOU INCLUDED. Do not judge others unless you are the one on the throne beside The Father. Mark made the best of his situation and was living his life. Now is not the time to bring up the bad. It is the time to remember the good and let his family grieve for him. If you can’t be supportive of that just keep your comments to yourself.

• Guesttenheimer says:

Three basic rules defined by the DMV are required to put a vehicle in the “moped or scooter” category, they are:
    -Must have an engine displacement of 50cc or less.
    -Must have fully automatic transmission. The rider must not have the ability to manually shift gears.
    -Top speed is limited to a maximum of 30 mph on a level surface.

If ANY of these three criteria do not exist, the vehicle is classified as a motorcycle and requires the full gamut of laws associated with such to include:
    -Valid Drivers License with a class “M” endorsement.
    -Formal registration with the NCDMV and display of a license plate.
    -Liability insurance.
    -State mandated safety inspection.

There are plenty of scooters out there outside of these laws and subject the rider to a whole host of tickets and fines. The police don’t pay any attention and don’t seem to care. If you are ever involved in an accident with one of these, force the officer to verify the scooter is not over 50cc’s. It’s normally stamped on the engine cases. Best to take a picture if possible. He/she could be in full vioation of applicable DMV law.

• Vog46 says:

Nicely laid out explanation.
    So basically there’s a whole bunch of vehicles out there that are bigger than 50cc, fully automatics that are capable of speeds of 50 to 60 mph?
    That would make the scooter a motorcycle…..
    And if it’s a motorcycle – it has the right to occupy the entire travel lane instead of the right side of the road?
    License tags and insurance all required…..
    Hmmmmmm……..
    So the MC-150E requires all that because its over 50cc:

Vog
    (Thanks again)

• anne says:

I believe that mopeds should have the same requirements as an automobile has to have – tags, insurance, etc. Although they have the reputation as “liquor cycles”, many are turning to mopeds for the convenience and for the gas mileage. With that being said, if they are allowed to run on roads, especially highways where people are driving at faster speeds, then they should be required to be registered just like an automobile is.

If I have an accident with one – their fault – and they are not covered by insurance, who pays? I do.

• GuestTBagger says:

Hey nctrooper1072, you said well! Posters like Abby are the reason that I am thankful to Providence for my own dear wife!

• Tina Roberts says:

RIP Mark. I am so shocked that this has happened. Gone at such a young age. You will be deeply missed my dear friend.

• Spell Check Before You Send... says:

What’s a shame is your inability to spell “exercising” correctly.

He was a good man, and this was a tragic accident. If you have a clear point to make on the matter, make sure you don’t ignore spell check next time.

• Guest 10101 says:

One would have to assume, if that was the case, the moped wasn’t taking up a full lane but was along the edge of the pavement.

Just another reason why those things should not be allowed on the roads. Many of the riders think they are entitled to take a full lane when they are required to stay at the right edge of the pavement. They should all have to have license plates as well as insurance since they travel on the roads.

• Vog46 says:

By definition this is exactly what it is.
    The hit does not include “fault” so either way it is a hit
    One of the parties did not stop making it a “run”.

Moped operators have to exercise extreme caution when dealing with 18 wheelers. Vehicles are allowed to pass within 2 ft of a moped when passing them. AT 55 mph this creates quite a wind disturbance around the semi – enough to throw a grown man and the moped around.
    Personal responsibility and being a good Moped driver are the keys when dealing with 18 wheelers……
    I sympathize for the family of the Moped driver…

Vog

• Linda Vitek says:

How can they call this a “hit and run”. Admittedly the moped swerved into the truck and caused the accident. I think the trucker did not even know his truck had been hit. I am sorry for the family for their loss but calling this a hit and run is wrong.

Well people like you who have no consideration for others and think only of yourself shouldn’t be allowed to live. I bet you’re the type of person who feels the need to blow past a scooter/moped at 45mph, without changing lanes even if the other lane is clear, in a 25mph zone, when the scooter/moped is doing 30mph (the maximum that you should be going whether the scooter/moped is there or not)… How about slowing down and doing the speed limit… Why do a lot of scooter/moped drivers ride closer to the middle of the lane than the side? So morons like you who have no consideration for other people are forced to get into the other lane to pass and not run them over or cause them to wreck, because otherwise you’ll try to pass them too closely at excessively high speeds.

And people like you who have no consideration for the way others think shouldn’t be allowed to live. I bet you’re the type of person who feels the need to block traffic because a scooter/moped is taking a full lane.)… How about speeding up and doing the speed limit… Why do a lot of scooter/moped drivers ride closer to the middle of the lane than the side? So morons like you who have no consideration for other people are forced to get into the other lane to pass and not run them over or cause them to wreck, because otherwise you’ll try to pass them too closely at excessively high speeds. me or how I drive, it is about mopeds.

Or maybe he was in the middle of the lane and swerved while the truck was passing. I don’t know or care. I just wish they weren’t on the roads.

And in Oregon same sex couples can marry. What do either laws in those states have to do with North Carolina laws? Nothing.

• GuestX says:

First I would like to say to the family of this young man how deeply sorry I am for there loss.Second small vehicles rather they be a moped,motorcyle, or smart car are on the rise and will continue.It is the responsiblity of everyone on the rode to do there part to keep everyone safe.The smaller the vehicle the more alert you have to be of of your surroundings thats just the way it is,less room for a mistake.Third the term redneck was used by ppl in the city to describe the farmers who would come to town to sell thier crops,it wasn’t a term used as a put down.It was used to describe someone who work hard with his hands in the outdoors to make a honest living.So as for me I’m proud to be labled a redneck.I believe the term most people are looking for when they are triing to describe someone who is white and lazy is white trash

• I seriously doubt they want / care about ur sympathy..Just sayin’

• Abby says:

First of all I never said he was a red neck. So don’t put words into my mouth. I said we all know why he is driving moped. Which means he had a night out got drunk etc. I never once in my previous post said he was a drunk red neck. So don’t put words into my mouth that I didn’t say. You said it NOT ME.

Second – The US & Vietnam are two completely different places. The guy was on a major highway at night, that part of the highway is dark with no lights other then the lights from your vehicle. Most (not all) moped drivers ride that white as close as they can to the lane the vehicles are traveling in. We all either get stuck behind them, avoid them as much as possible. It’s usually us drivers watching out more for them then they are watching out more for themselves.

And yes I know NC laws are looking to change we can only hope they continue to head in the direction to change. Mope drivers needs to pay taxes, & insurance just likes us drivers have to.

• NOLIBS says:

Hey Abby,

Great way to seque into the liberal progressive agenda. Never let a tragedy go to waste. Some guy dies on a moped and you try to make it about wanting all American’s to be carrying our families on mopeds like some bananna republic piss poor country we see on TV. You libs are all the same, you won’t be happy until the rest of us are on foot and all resemblence of technology and civilization are dismantled. Of course you hippocrates will still be driving and flying around in LearJets(Al Gore). What is good enough for the goose is definately not good enough for the gander with your crowd.

• Vog46 says:

I got the response(s) I thought I’d get with most people saying it was because of a “prior”.
    FIrst I apologize for the term redneck you neither said it or inferred it.
    Second I DID say he was on a highway and that I’d like to see them in the city.
    Just as an FYI many roads in Vietnam were paved or smooth enough to allow for 55 mph but it didn’t even take that much to create a windstorm.
    And yes I have ridden one, don’t own one but wish I did. Unlike a car which does better on a highway for gas mileage, a scooter does better in the city.
    The Mrs however, forbids it – not because I can’t handle it, but because she’s afraid I might get hurt by driver’s like her who hate the darned things……
    Of course when the predominant vehicle is a scooter the roads are safer for all scooter drivers. There’s safety in numbers as they say.

Vog

• jj says:

Vog,

I guess you ride a moped. What I would like to see is them have to license the moped and buy insurance like everyone else on the road. They are really a problem because they can’t go the speed limit and they want to drive in the middle of the road.

I think they should not be allow.

• Abby says:

Why give them a break when they chose to get behind the wheel and drive drunk not only put their lives in danger but also everyone else on the road? Why should we cut them slack for that? What if that drunk driver got in an accident and hurt or killed one of your friends or family members would you still cut them slack and feel sorry them as you drive past them in your nice warm or cool car?

I have no sympathy for men or women who drives scooters. They do the crime they do the time, it’s part of their punishment. They need to live and learn from their mistakes.

95% of them don’t care about the moped laws one bit they dare you to hit them, they ride the lanes so you can’t pass them. They can’t go over a certain speed, they have need right or need be on a major high way. They need to remain within the city on certain roads.

• brian says:

This wasn’t ‘inner city’, this was 421/74 – an area known for heavy truck traffic. And I would bet good money that the majority of people that you see riding these things are people who have DWI and / or suspended or revoked licenses.

Yes, Vog…most moped riders have lost their license. Why else would anybody in their right mind choose to ride one of those things, except maybe around town on short trips? Riding on a main highway at night was a very poor decision for this person, as well as any body else. My guess is the trucker never knew he hit anything. Hopefully, soon, they will be required to be licensed, insured, tagged and the riders have a license with motorcycle endorsement, and banned from anywhere the speed limit is over 35 mph.

• Tom Gartner says:

Why do you have to refer to anyone as a redneck?(let alone a dead man)
    The majority of these riders do obey the law and are just trying to get from point a to point b.In the current state of our economy its
    hard to make ends meet! Give them a break move over and drive around and feel fortunate that you are in your warm car and not on a scooter!!

• JP says:

I know the man that was killed and I do not know why he was on a moped (maybe saving money on gas) but he has a license as well as a vehicle and a couple of motorcycles. Even if the 18-wheeler did not feel the impact, he (and all drivers) when passing someone on the side, should check to see that the person is still there after clearing them. I know that it was dark, but he should have seen his headlight, and if he did not see it, then he should have known that something happened. My father is also a truck driver and has been one for over 20 years, so I know all about truck driving/drivers and there are some truck drivers out there that are not considerate of other drivers.

Also, everyone needs to quit downing the man and pray for his family. There is now a little girl that has to grow up without her father and a family that will be mourning the death of their son/uncle/cousin.

• GuestWho says:

Owning mutiple vehicles does not mean you a drivers license. The SHP said this guy DOES NOT have a valid license.

• Psych says:

Moped or scooter on a 55mph road is a bad idea. If the moped swerved, then the truck driver should not be help responsible. Abby, if you look at the numbers, the moped riders are, by and large, convicted of multiple DUI’s, which explains the swerving. You can bet this will require NC lawmakers to revisit the rules regulating scooters and mopeds which currently pay no taxes and have no recourse, training nor insurance.

I really hope these people come to their sense and realize that a 100lbs 50cc toy has no place on a highway. This and many other deaths are the only results you can expect! Keep these moped and scooter riding idiots of the highways!

In South Carolina a vehicle must be able to maintain a speed 10mph under the posted limit.

A vehicle governed at 35mph may only travel on roads posted up to 45mph.

Mopeds on a 55mph road ARE a bad idea; however, there are many people in this area and this country who cannot afford the costs of automobile ownership. The riders with DUIs still have to get to work, but it sounds like you’d rather see them lose their jobs and take advantage of our social services system. I have never once had an issue with a moped rider but have had plenty of issues with bicycles taking up the entire lane. Don’t assume because you earn a decent income that everyone does.

• Vog46 says:

“We all know why they are on mopeds”
    Why don’t you come right out and say it?
    “oh he was a a redneck that got drunk and lost his license so now he’s got to drive the two wheeler”

Um Abby? Mopeds are used throughout the world by many millions of people as a means of getting somewhere without using a lot of gasoline.
    If all inner city traffic in the United States used mopeds the world would be awash with unsold gasoline, unrefined oil, oil prices would collapse, and OPEC would be ruined……among other things.

While I agree that mopeds in certain situations are dangerous I would LOVE to see more Mopeds dominating the roads then cars in the city. Highways are another story altogether……and this accident happened on 74. I have seen a moped in Vietnam get blown off the road just by the wind of a passing vehicle.
    BTW NC rules are supposedly changing. I believe the Legislature is going to require registration, and insurance in NC (so the state can collect fees and taxes)soon.

Vog

• Abby says:

I send thoughts and prayers to the family of the victim. However I must say moped should not be allowed on major highways like this. They don’t obey the laws they don’t care. We all know why they are on mopeds. The mopeds are not well lit and that stretch of highway is very dark at night and trying to see that little moped.

I hope they do find the truck driver or that he does comes forward. But I think laws needs to be changed regarding mopeds on highways. They just don’t work. They are not made for highways and the people who drive them just don’t care and dont obey the laws.

• Guest 211 says:

IT WAS HIS CHOICES IN LIFE THAT CAUSED HIM TO BE ON A MOPED. THEY ARE A DANGER ON THE HIGHWAY, ESPECIALLY ON A BIG ONE. HOW CAN ONE COMMENTER BLAME THE WPD? GET REAL. SORRY FOR THE FAMILIES LOSS THO. CONDOLENCES TO THEM.

Everything that Im reading here raises bells and whistles that this is NOT safe and an accident is imminent!! AGAIN KEEP THEM OFF THE ROADS!!

• Justin says:

Sorry, I don’t interpret “should” as “must”, and neither does the law. The second link is “rules”, not “laws”….again, they have just as much right to be on the road as bicycles and motorcycles. If they didn’t, they would be illegal? Correct?

Mopeds do not have as much right to the road as a motorcycle. This is from the second link you posted. I’m guessing you didn’t read far enough down.

Other Moped Rules

• No person shall operate a motorcycle or moped upon a highway or public vehicular area unless the operator and all passengers thereon wear safety helmets of a type approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles
  • A moped should travel using the right–hand side of the lane – To pass a moped, you must stay at least two feet to the left.
  • The same DWI laws that apply to the drivers of other motor vehicles also apply to moped operators
  • Stay out of traffic, as much as possible.
  • Do not share lanes with other vehicles.
  • Make sure other drivers can see you – wear light or brightly colored clothing.
  • At an intersection, never “squeeze” between parked cars and moving traffic.
  • If possible, install electric turn signals on your moped. Otherwise, be sure to use hand signals when you turn or stop.
    operating motorcycle without proper license endorsement, or knowlingly permitting an owned vehicle to be so operated, or violating restrictions on graduated licenses will result in a fine of atleast $50.
  • Failure to wear helmet, or having too many passengers, on a motorcycle or moped will result in a fine from $25 to $75.
  • Justin says:

According the NC law, moped riders operating legal vehicles have as much right to the road as both bicyclist and motorcyclists – given we’re not privy to all the details of the wreck, why so much hate? What if this guy was obeying ALL the rules and regulations, but was simply sideswiped by the trucker?

• dixie2003 says:

As a daughter of a truck driver of over 30 years i can almost 100% tell u that the trucker had no clue that he had hit anything. There have been accidents that have happened with 18 wheelers and motorcycles and the trucker never knew anything had happened. You have to understand the size of these trucks and trailers compared to a small moped. And with it being dark makes it even worse. My prayers go out to the family and friends of the moped driver. People need to not be so quick to judge anyone no one knows exactly what or why things happened the way they did. I send my prayers out to both sides and I pass judgment on no one.

• jj says:

I find this very interesting as I have had them pass me. However, this is another unless law that our great Wilmington Police Dept doesn’t enforce.

Legally, a moped’s top speed cannot exceed 30 mph on a level surface. Although some mopeds on the market have top speeds higher than the 30 mph limit, they are illegal for use in North Carolina.

• and ride it all I can. Would use it as a work vehicle if I had to..I have a license and Im not a redneck. I cant believe all U sorry haters in here.. Im just letting all of you that hate 2 wheels… needs 10 dollar a gallon gas shoved up ur @##