Brunswick Co. Sheriff responds to questions about 2nd amendment

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 02/19/2013 - 2:00pm
Updated: Fri, 08/16/2013 - 12:39pm

BRUNSWICK COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — Brunswick County Sheriff John Ingram is joining the growing chorus of law enforcement leaders around our area and across the country in responding to concerns from gun owners about second amendment rights.

This morning, Ingram sent out a letter today explaining his stance on gun rights as the debate continues in the country about gun control.

To: The citizens of Brunswick County, North Carolina
The State of North Carolina
The United States of America

Recently I have received a number of inquiries regarding my position on the second amendment of the Constitution. As Sheriff of Brunswick County, I took an oath to support and defend the United States and North Carolina Constitutions. The citizens of Brunswick County entrusted their office of Sheriff to me, I will not act inconsistent with my oath, nor will I allow anyone or group to infringe upon the rights of the citizens of Brunswick County afforded by the Constitution.

In today’s world, our society is plagued by acts of violence and criminals seeking to exploit those unprepared. I encourage our citizens to take ownership with regards to their personal safety and the safety of their families. Those seeking to legally arm themselves for personal protection should do so after carefully considering all options available. I support and encourage responsible and legal gun ownership and stand ready to assist the law abiding citizens of our county in processing the necessary documentation to purchase a firearm or obtain a concealed weapons permit. However, to the criminal element seeking to obtain any type of weapon let this serve as your notice; attempt to do so in Brunswick County and you will be held accountable.

As our state and national leaders search for ways to reduce the ever increasing acts of violence occurring in our society, I pray they seek guidance from the Almighty to find lasting solutions without victimizing our citizens. Recent mass shootings and other acts of violence demonstrate the critical need for additional mental health treatment as we move forward. Additionally, we should vigorously seek out and prosecute criminals, especially those who choose to prey upon our society by aid of weapons. Violent acts committed by criminals and those suffering from mental illness should not be used as a platform to limit or ban the possession or use of weapons by law abiding citizens in our nation. The demonization of firearms will not solve the current crisis and if allowed to go unmolested will serve to expose the good people of our county, state and nation to illegal laws which will make it difficult if not impossible to protect themselves.

As Thomas Jefferson once said, “A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference.” As a citizen and as your Sheriff, it is my belief we can address the violence currently gripping our nation, by means of careful thought and looking to the root cause of the issues. Thank you, and may God Bless us all.

Sheriff John W. Ingram V
Brunswick County, North Carolina

• Tim says:

He better mean what he says. If not he had the audacity to say the word “pray” and invoke the Almighty. You’d have to be nigh on insane to make such a statement and lie about it. At that point he would be endangering not only himself but his family from the wrath of the Almighty who definitely knows what he said. As for me I believe him for now and thank him for it. Soon enough he will get a chance to back up his words.

I hope you’re right and he has to back up his words, because that means that some type of gun control legislation is passed. Hopefully including an assault weapons ban and mandatory background checks for all purchases, including gun shows and private sales. I would love to see him and all the Brunswick County Commissioners face federal charges for refusing to enforce federal law. Our second amendment rights do not give us unlimited access to firearms no more than the first amendment gives us freedom to yell “Fire” in a crowded theater, or say or publish something proven to be slander or libel. The NRA has some of you so paranoid that the power of rational thought is something you no longer possess.

• Bob says:

So you’re saying Congress has no right to amend the Constitution? That’s news to the rest of us. It’s treason to change the laws? Funny, because the second amendment is an AMENDMENT. By your warped gun nut logic, doesn’t this mean that it was treason to add the right to bear arms to the Constitution?

Funny how it’s ok to amend the Constitution when it suits you, but otherwise it’s treason. You’re trying to win sympathy for your lies by invoking patriotism and fear, and suggesting that the founding fathers wanted everyone to have unlimited firearms so we can fight Obama’s army who is clearly plotting against us. Seek help; society in 2014 is not the same as society in the 1700s. You may recall there was an ACTUAL tryannical government back then that America had to fight against, hence the right to bear arms.

You gun nuts are something else.

• Guest2013 says:

Oooops! My mistake. I actually thought this sherriff had a pair. Apparently he’s just a neutered lap dog for our County Commissioners who seem more interested in grand standing and commenting on Federal Policy than actually taking any steps to help their constituents. Let’s play National and State Politics for the next four years and just let the issues that directly affect Brunswick County simmer on the back burner. But hey, as long as you make the front page of the Star News once a month and get the occassional mention in the crawl at the bottom of Fox News ticker your egos are stoked.

There was nothing in the sheriff’s letter to indicate he wants people to be more dependent on guns. Actually, it is the opposite. He is encouraging law-abiding citizens to protect their families.

Sheriff Ingram is just one more reason I prefer to live in Brunswick County as opposed to New Hanover.

• In NC says:

“Our second amendment rights do not give us unlimited access to firearms”

What do you think the words “shall not be infringed” mean? Apparently the eminently literate founders of this country meant to say “shall not be infringed” knowing full well what those words meant and intending for them to be both permanent and understood in their absolute, imperative, sense. Please consider this: those words and their implications for all future generations of Americans, were the result of much deliberation and sober thought … but, contrary to the wording of the other Amendments, the wording of this Amendment was never the subject of contrary debate among the authors of the Bill of Rights.

We already limit access to firearms when it comes to felons and persons with profound mental problems. Who else would you deny the right to defend themselves and those they hold dear against animals, criminals and tyrants?

The dealers at gun shows are already performing mandatory background checks (in violation of the Constitution), so your argument is empty … yet another anti-Constitution talking point meant to cloud the real issues at stake in the present moment.

I don’t think you understand that the founders of this country deliberately put these specific enumerated rights beyond the control of the government, where they were to remain so long as the republic stood.

Neither Congress nor the Courts nor the President have the legal authority to strike them down. To attempt to do so is to commit treason.

When the Constitution no longer stands supreme among our laws, the Republic will fall. Due to the uncertainty about what will arise from its ashes, I must emphatically urge you to join the fight against further erosion of the power of that document.

If I have sent you to a dictionary, I make no apology. The current debates regarding the gutting of the Constitution are matters of law being argued on the basis of feelings. We need to get the debate on a factual basis and the factual basis is that there is no force in this country that is entitled to usurp the Constitution … and yet that is exactly what those who would disarm the citizens of this country are in the process of doing — with help from people like you.

This is your country, too. I think it’s worth defending. Do you?

• In NC says:

I live in Davison County, but until Sheriff Grice makes a similar declaration (or joins http://CSPOA.org), I’ll stand with you. Then I’ll give him the backing he deserves.

But until he makes his intentions to keep his Oath of Office and defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic (including, if need be, a federal government bent on tyranny) known, I’ll back you and any other Sheriff who HAS made their intentions publicly known.

• Kenneth Althaus says:

I live in Johnson county the sheriff here must not have a pair to stand behind the constitution it has nothing to do with politics but everything to do with the constitution. Second amendment is not something Americans (true Americans) take lightly men & women died to keep these rights & freedoms for the citizens & we ain’t going to let morons who think Obama is going to keep us safe strip those rights from us so as you said grow a pair & stop thinking the law is going to be there to protect you when someone breaks in your house & shots you because you don’t have a gun to protect yourself or your family..

Two words in this amendment make your entire argument moot. “A WELL REGULATED militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Well Regulated by who? The federal government.

• julie says:

you better take heed his warning on criminals and stop listening to who is in office. I commend this Sheriff and all Sheriff’s around this country whom have taken a stand for our right and freedoms that the Federal gov’t more specifically Obama and Biden and all their croney’s are trying to take away one by one. Watch out, the next four of this administration is going to be one like you have never seen before.

• Guesttenheimer says:

This subject of gun control is so difficult to write about due to the emotion of the subject. You have done a superb job of stating the facts. We have people that understand our rights as Americans and we have others that for some reason, understand that our rights are government given, when appropriate and can be taken away as convenient. We have people among us that are lucky to be able to make their way to and from work every day without government intervention and that rely on the government to guide the simple and basic attributes of their lives. They believe the government will and is supposed to support them, protect them and provide for them. Germany was filled with people like this in the 30’s and 40’s.

In addition to your words of clarity, while we do limit firearms access to felons and people with a diminished mental capacity (or intend to). The government itself ignores the intent of their own law by consistently allowing convicted Felons back on the street, in the general law-abiding public even after numerous convictions of firearms related violence. If there is ANYWHERE to begin to curb gun-related violence, it should start right there and right now!

• Guest2013 says:

Good…I hope you’re right!

• Former U.S. Marine says:

Oh our Sheriff has a pair. You should know, they’re resting on your chin. The next time (which is probably right now) you’re sitting in your recliner, enjoying your freedoms as an American; wiggle your chin to thank him and all the law enforcement personel, military personel, and government officials across the country that are fighting to protect the rights for those freedoms you seem to be disreguarding with statements like that.

• Guest Redneck Across the River says:

I think the Sheriff understands the more law abiding citizens in the county that are armed, the easier both his job and those of his deputies will be. The bad guys will go elsewhere.

• PublicAvenger says:

Too bad he’s just a sheriff. We could use a guy like this, in the White House. My feeling is….Every law-abiding citizen SHOULD have a gun.

The drug-deasling thugs, ALL have guns. They are already viloating several state and federal laws. More laws mean NOTHING to them. We will all be ‘sitting ducks’, if Obama has his way.

• B says:

Typical gun nut who is just waiting for someone to break into their house so they can shoot someone. It doesn’t happen nearly as often as you wish it did, so unfortunately you’ll never get your bragging rights, tough guy.

• Bob says:

What a load of nonsense…what rights have you been stripped of by Obama? People who blindly follow one party, be it Republican or Democrat, have no credibility. If your own party made the exact same speeches and decisions, you would support them. Bush was great, Obama is bad, simply because of party. Pathetic.

• B M says:

Good to hear Sheriff Ingram’s side, I hope he’s saying he is a supporter of the constitution, sounded that way to me, and as long as he is he’s got a lot of supporters.

• Wiser Than That says:

Once you take an oath to “uphold”, their isn’t a need to submit a statement of choice words from some selected national group to solidify your position. You either have integrity or you don’t! Reminds me of the movie “Mississippi Burning”. I once heard that “paper will lie down and let you (politicians) put anything on it”. That certainly is solidarity on the part of Brunswick County Commissioners and the outstanding sheriff. And you call this Brunswick Counties finest!

• Guest2012 says:

Good Job!
    Excellent Letter!
    …From a New Hanover County 57 year old female concealed carry holder, NRA member and strong Constitutionalist.

By the way, I also wrote and submitted three letters myself this past week.

They went by snail mail to Senator Burr and Hagan and Congressman Mc Intyre. They need the power of their constituents to LET THEM KNOW where WE stand.
    I would like to share the letter that I wrote with all of my friends who believe in the Constitution and our Second Amendment rights. Please take the LIBERTY, while it is yours to take….Feel free, as FREE as can be, to copy and paste my letter and add or alter it, if you choose, BUT PLEASE send to our Senators and Rep in Washington.

I think anyone reading this realizes that “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.” If you sit on your duff forever, you will continue to cry in your beer. It takes a little effort, and a stamp, but they listen when we speak in unison.

Dear Senator Burr,

I am respectfully writing to you to ask that you OPPOSE the proposal that would dramatically expand the current instant background checks on private firearm transfers.

I am also requesting that you OPPOSE any Bill that would reinstate a failed ban on semi-automatic rifles or magazines.

Criminals will never submit to such measures and these gun control schemes would have no effect on crime.

I cherish our Constitution and value my Second Amendment rights.
    I would like to thank you for the outstanding job that you have done for your constituents over the years. I am always pleased with how you vote.

Sincerely,

• Guest2013 says:

And what a fine representative of our military you are. You should know whose chin they’re resting on because of where your nose is firmly planted. You seem eager to help. Perhaps you should reach around and give him a hand.

• Bob says:

So now Obama is compared to Hitler? Bit of a stretch, but anything to convince people you’re somehow being tyrannized…

More people to be dependent on the government to provide for them. In this case it would be security.

• In NC says:

However, we would not even be having these discussions if they actually met that expectation.

The truth is that most of them are willing to publicly betray their constituents. This is about to come to an end, I think. Those who vote to gut the Constitution might as well clean out their desks and go home … their careers are over.

I haven’t voted in a long time. I will darned sure vote next time.

• ED says:

I expect every elected official to uphold the constitution. Not get elected and then try to change the constitution by force or a pen! I appreciate what he says.

It’s refreshing to see someone who believes in the constitution. Way to go Sheriff Ingram. If I lived in Brunswick county, I’d vote for you every time.

• Thank you for standing strong in the face of growing opposition. We need to hear from our representatives to know we can count on support if the current administration pushes through unlawful purposes. Peace

• Guest Andreagirl says:

Not all individuals admit to mental illnesses simply because they are too ashamed to get the help. It is easy to track those who have been receiving mental health services through the system but what about those who never been in the system before or never been arrested?

• longcolt says:

that this will be tough. but stopping those that are known to be mentally ill and/or under treatment will go a long way. also, keeping those who commit crimes with guns in jail (please google project exile) has had excellent results. there is never going to be a perfectly safe world (just look at the slaughterhouse our roads have become), but the answer in a free society should never be to reflexively “ban” things (like silly cuomo in NY).

Thank God that our County Commissioners are here to interpret the constitution for us. Let’s not let that pesky old Supreme Court get in the way.

• longcolt says:

and thank you. i believe he means what he says here. kudos for actually standing up for what you were hired to do Mr. Ingram ( its rare nowadays ).

• Guest 2012 says:

The sheriff of Bladen County issued a statement but did not commit himself as did Sheriff Ingram. All he said was that he would uphold the Constitution. Nothing more. I like what Ingram said though he could have said it in 500 words or less, he was vocal about allowing his constituents to have and bear arms.

We need more politicians like him. That is, if he means what he says.

• Roy Meares says: