FBI, SBI detonate 2nd package at storage facility

Tags: , , , ,

Submitted: Fri, 02/22/2013 - 4:59am
Updated: Fri, 02/22/2013 - 4:04pm

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — FBI and SBI agents have detonated a second suspicious package found at a storage facility on Carolina Beach Road. Earlier today another package exploded after a bomb robot shot at it as agents tried to figure out what was in it.

The FBI and the SBI assisted by the New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office and Wilmington Police are conducting an investigation at North State Storage on Carolina Beach Road south of Monkey Junction. Law enforcement has ordered a mandatory evacuation for businesses around North State Storage on the east side of Carolina Beach Road as they continue to investigate.

New Hanover County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Jerry Brewer says it started this morning when multiple agencies began dealing with a suspicious package. Brewer says the FBI was investigating a suspect, which led them to the storage unit. They used a robot to shoot the package, at which point the package exploded. It’s not clear if they shot it with water or live ammunition, but agents did not expect it to explode.

Brewer says agents are still dealing with one more suspicious package they found in the storage unit. They do not know what is in the package, but they are X-raying it to decide if they’ll need to detonate it. The bomb squad did the same thing to the most recently detonated package. They buried it before exploding it.

Spokeswomen for the FBI and SBI confirm their agents and the SBI bomb squad are on scene connected to an investigation being handled by the FBI. A SBI spokeswoman says all of its agents are at the single location, despite an earlier report from another Wilmington TV station that the SBI was at another location in a neighborhood farther down Carolina Beach Road.

A witness called WWAY around 12:45 p.m. and said he saw a bomb unit at North State, which is at the intersection of Sanders Road, and heard an explosion coming from the property a few minutes earlier. A New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office spokesman confirmed a small explosion. He referred us to the FBI and SBI.

The Wilmington Police Department’s bomb unit is also on scene to assist.

The StarNews reports the owner of a neighboring business said a law enforcement officer told her investigators “believed somebody was building bombs in a storage unit next door and one of the bombs exploded. The officer told her other bombs were in the unit.”

because bombs are illegal to build and possess but bans didn’t stop him.

• Mipmappy says:

Is it typical procedure to shoot at a suspected package, Which you think could be bomb, with a robot?

• GuestMan. says:

that when they arrest the suspect, he has assault weapons also? This is just the kind of crazy that can still buy AR-15s under our present system.

• Bigelow says:

These robots can x-ray and sniff for explosive residues. Then, they have a variety of means of dealing with the problems. One particular option is to try and use a water cannon to disrupt the device…even when it is known to be a bomb. That is a better alternative…than say, your uncle walking up to it with a beer and a pair of tin-snips and saying, “here, hold my beer and watch this!”

• John says:

Yes, I agree. Taking our guns and having the crooks still getting them is not smart. All the liberals can turn in their guns, but us conservatives will keep ours. U ain’t taking mine!!! I need them for nuts like this that don’t abide by the laws of the land. Guns and bombs can’t kill anybody, it’s the criminal mind that will use anything illegal or not that kills people. If someone wants u dead bad enough they will make it happen. Will you be prepared to defend yourself??? You liberals will not and I feel sorry for you and your families security.

• Guesttenheimer says:

…so why don’t you just move on to the next problem and resolve world hunger? Geeeeez….what a whacko!

• jj says:

Bigelow, you are correct on your details. The biggest advantage the water cannon has is it doesn’t destroy all the evidence. That way you can check for finger prints and other DNA.

• Guest 109 says:

“Storage Wars”

• GuestMan. says:

Who said I was solving problems? I’m just making observations. I have also observed some of your previous posts and I think there are serious doubts as to who the “whacko” is in this conversation. But, would you like to bet if the weapons are there or not?

kind of crazy doesn’t need permission of any system to get an AR15…don’t you get that? People like this live outside of your little laws!

• Guestie says:

Me too! What does that say about us?

Place your bets.. Stupid Redneck, Crazy Ivan, Insane Middle Eastern or Stupid Redneck.. Wait did I mention stupid redneck,

• taxpayer says:

I figured someone’s meth lab blew up.

• Assume - makes an A** out U & me says:

Who said it was terrorist? Dont assume yet

• sandy says:

This is scary. I’m sure this person wasn’t building them just for fun. I never thought I’d see this kind of terror here in our quiet costal area. I pray they get everyone who was involved and thank God this person never got to use them. I guess no place is safe anymore. I wonder what he or she was going to blow up?

• ED says:

Where have YOU been, Sandy? Living next door to a NUKE plant and International shipping yard with rows after rows of HUGE tanks filled up and down the Cape Fear Filled with HAZMAT combustibles makes this area such a peaceful quaint little house on the prairie! And I didnt even mention the DOWNTOWN THRILLS of JUST robbed if your lucky!! Its SCARY people fail to be more vigilant!

Sandy- not to ruin your peaceful little world, but google “Sunny Point” next time you are on the web. Lots of things are happening around here that make it a prime target for terrorists.

Probably just propaganda to scare us so they can take away more of our liberties and watch us closer without us complaining. Likely some bottle rockets or cherry bombs.

• Gues 211 says:

SHE DIDN’T SAY TERRORIST. SHE SAID TERROR. I HEARD THE BOOMS. ONE SHOOK MY HOUSE. THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE DEPUTIES OR POLICE AT THE FIRING RANGE ON RIVER ROAD. WE HEAR LOTS OF THEM DOWN HERE. AT LEAST I DO. IF SOMEBODY BLOWS YOU UP,MAYBE IT WILL MAKE AN A**OUT OF YOU.science

• read better says:

they said “terror,” not terrorist…

• Ann says:

Isnt anyone building bombs a terrorist of some kind? Why would anyone have bombs in Wilmington NC unless they were using them for bad purposes.

• sandy says:

I didn’t say it was a terrorist I said I didn’t think i’d see this kind of terror here. And for you information a terrorist is An individual who uses violence, terror, and intimidation to achieve a result. Gee bombs are pretty violent and intimidating. You do the math a**hole

• Guestteneheimer says:

Perhaps a little boys “science project”? A new deer hunting device? Secure storage break-in deterrant? Practice packages for July 4th fireworks? A Jihadist calling card? Your “handle” makes perfect sense for you and now you appear as one. The making of bombs is a direct violation of federal law. IT’S ILLEGAL! It’s defined as fabricating a weapon of mass destruction.

Now, to use a public storage facility to fabricate weapons of mass destruction where other innocent people and property are in very close proximity shows total neglect for human life and property. Those just happen to be a few of the basic traits of the terrorist mindset.

Some things don’t need to be said!

• in the middle says:

Why not let them finish the investigation prior to making comments about yankees ,rednecks, gun control , meth labs so on and so forth They had to have probable cause (investigating the lease holder) and a search warrent to open the unit or the unit was sold at auction and the new owner found something they were not expecting and called L.E.Which is less likely due to the timing.
    It will all come out in the wash so to speak there is no reason to impinge one anothers birth place ,political alignment or socioeconomic strata.
    In this everchanging world that we live in you may need the assistance of the damn yankee or that county fried redneck next door so I leave you with this In the words of the late Rodney King “why can’t we all just get along”

• StrayDawg says:

It doesnt sound like the bombs were very stable if it only took a shot to detonate. whoever was building them was fortunate he did not blow him/themselves up. its good they were found before they were used in a way that could harm people.

Yeah, you’re definitely right, he’s probably an old burned out liberal hippie who finally realized that voting democrat, smoking weed, and refusing to bathe did not get him the life he envisioned.

• bywayofbaylor says:

55-60 white male upset that the world is changing and leaving him on the wrong side of history..

It’s probably a soon-to-be ex-husband that wanted to make sure the soon- to -be ex-wife didn’t take his last scrap of assets before the divorce was finalized. Either that or some idiot that thought he’d fast-track his career in the bomb-squad by building and defusing bombs in his storage unit. I don’t think they’ll take you now, Skippy!

• concerned parent says:

as a parent i am most concerned that bellamy elementary and myrtle grove christian schools were not shut down. I realize the explosion was not too large, but i could feel both of them from my house which is futher than the schools are located from the storage unit.

• shelli says:

Ok so who was planing what and where? It is very scary . I am confused I thought I moved from Texas. seems like your not safe anywhere .

• Justin America says:

Are you really so confused that you are not sure you moved here from Texas?

You forgot to mention stupid Yankee.

• MarkSimmons says:

I agree that honesty is getting rare these days… What happened to freedon of speech?!

• GuestGuido says:

as you idiots have destroyed your home states but are too stupid to abandon the beliefs and voting habits, that lead to the ruination of your hometowns, when you arrived here. You’re like the aliens in the movie Independence Day – move to a new place, ruin it and move on.

• Guestsad says:

Guest7969, GET USED TO IT , You are being OUTNUMBERED! Maybe it’s YOU who should be moving further into the sticks, there you can build your bunker and hide from us all! Give it a break and get an education. We’re here and there’s MORE coming.

• jimmer says:

You also forgot disgruntled Poastal Employee

• Guestsad says:

Guest412…YOU ARE AN IDIOT. Is that the southern hospitality that everyone preaches about? So much for that. Jerk.

And you seem very pleasant to be around.

we just don’t want your kind in our state. He was just being honest…don’t like it, RETIRE UP NORTH!

• Justin America says:

You know, reasonable, educated, motivated, successful people that speak English well. I hate those people too. They make me look bad.

“Your kind”??

Are you a middle school bully or a grown-up? Are you the official spokesperson for the state? Thanks but if we can make our own decisions about gun safety and such then we can certainly speak for ourselves. Whatever you are thinking of can come from anywhere. No wonder so many kids grow up learning to hate .

And what kind is “your kind”? Are you the official NC Drama Queen spokesperson? The rest of the grownups can speak for themselves and don’t need you to screen inhabitants. No wonder where kids learn to hate

• Ready for some peace and quiet says:

Lots of folks in this area have been hearing loud booms,what have you, regularly, around midnight, 2 a.m.,since early January with no explanation. Maybe this means some peace for all of us (on multiple levels). I sure hope so.

• Catherine Duncan says:

I heard a loud sound like a bomb going off around 5:15PM while I was in Harris Teeter. Police where still there when I came out of store. Area was roped off and it looked like an ambulance was there too. There seemed to be less police cars there , then when I first came by right before 5:PM. I Live at Monkey Junction area and maybe that can explain some of the loud booms I have heard at diff times at night and day time.
    The Booms seemed to come from the school area on Piner Road Cant remember specific times but all with in the past two weeks I think.

I think the booms that have been coming from behind Myrtle Grove middle school was someone shooting off a mortar. Probably just the baseline charge exploding in the mortar with no actual projectile… I live behind the school and heard the same thing a few weeks back on a couple different nights. I’m pretty sure it’s a mortar that someone built at their home to shoot off fireworks with.

I thought the same thing at first. It probably means we watch too much Breaking Bad.

I think it says that you are well aware of things that are going on around us everyday. having lived several years in Los Angeles, that was the first thing I thought of too. Meth Lab. Turns out it may be even worse than that!