Update: Man charged with murder in Delco accident

Tags: , ,

Submitted: Mon, 02/25/2013 - 6:03am
Updated: Mon, 02/25/2013 - 6:03am

COLUMBUS COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Leland man involved in two seperate accidents on Friday has been charged with two felonies for his role in the accident.

Highway Patrol says the first accident happened when a Cadillac Deville heading west on 74/76 hit a white van. A trooper says the Cadillac continued heading west until it cross the median and hit a Chevrolet HHR belonging to LabCorp nearly head-on.

Investigators say that 26-year-old Pierre Walker of Leland has been charged with 2nd degree murder, and habitual driving while intoxicated for his role in the death of 61-year-old Martha Mintz.

Troopers say that Walker did not have a license due to three previous DUI convictions.

It is suspected that Walker was under the influence of drugs at the time of the accident.

• Guest CommonTater says:

is a complete FAIL… that’s why. Lot’s of laws but no justice. As long as lawyers and judges are making money they don’t care how many innocent lives are lost. They are no better than this piece of trash and are just as responsible for the death.

• Fire the DA's says:

Only 26 years old…… and he has a long career ahead of him. Something has got to be done about these thugs not getting longer sentences. We have to many bleeding hearts and people who think these thugs are being treated unfairly. Hang um high……

• BETTY W MURRAY says:

I know you want this man to pay for what he has done to your family.

Life will never be the same again. My thoughts and prayers are with

you. It would be really nice if our justice system worked – but it

does not – Judges and lawyers are getting rich by allowing people

like him to be “back on the road” again. They are just padding

their pockets – maybe one day it will happen to someone they love

and they will wake the hell up!!

• Marie says:

I passed the Cadillac headed west as I was driving east just seconds before the wreck. His front end looked like he was in a prior collision and his hood was up covering the windshield as he was driving at a high rate of speed. He was trying to pass a semi truck in the left westbound lane and lost control as he swerved off the road. He then went across the median and hit another vehicle headed east. My heart sunk when I saw what had happened as it could have been me and my family that he hit. My heart goes out to the family of the lady who lost her life. It’s always the innocent that suffers in a situation like this. Please give my condolences to the family.

my thoughts and prayers are with the family of the person killed

May God bless the victims family! I am so sorry for your loss,my prayers are with you!

• Fire the DA's says:

To me these worthless low life’s like Walker, are a whole lot worse than someone owning an assalt weapon. He has 16 court case’s pending in Brunswick,Columbus,Hew Hanover and union Counties including the 4 from last week. Our courts are failing.

• ChefnSurf says:

… and yet he’s still allowed to post bond, get back in his car (which I guess hadn’t been confiscated), and perpetuate a tragedy upon the lives of unsuspecting victims.

The system appears to be broken.

• 19476guest says:

Amen to that.

• anne says:

What is it going to take to get people like him off of the road? He had 3 prior convictions, no license, but is still out there driving and now someone has lost their life because of him. The justice system is broke!

• Guest19562 says:

My deepest sympathy to the family of Martha Mintz.
    I would just like to know why in the world it takes a death to prove that this man should be in jail. “habitual” means it’s not going to end. He should have been jailed a long time ago. Disgusting. Wake up court system! You’re court priorities are totally messed up.