13 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — Feeding the meters is a price we have to pay sometimes in order to park in the city limits. And if you don't, you could find a yellow envelope under your car windshield. But some leaders say ticketing is just not enough.

Port City Daily says Guilford County is looking for more ways to collect parking fines. A bill would allow the city to add unpaid parking fines to the offender's vehicle tax bill.

We asked folks here how they would feel if this happened in the Cape Fear.

"I believe in individual freedom and liberty," says New Hanover County Libertarian Party Chairman Jon Evans. "But I think that we are responsible for paying for our infractions. This is not something I oppose. I think that the people who do not pay their fines, there ought to be an enforcement mechanism. This is about as good as any." It would be an attempt to strengthen the collection of parking fines. A method people of Wilmington seem to welcome and support.

"If you have a conscience, and you want to do the right thing, then you do not need the laws much," says Pastor Joe Wilburn. "So you have to have consequences for those who want to do their own way and ignore things."

Currently, Wilmington responds to unpaid parking fines first with mail notices. After multiple tickets reach 90 days without being paid, the offender's car is booted.

Comment on this Story

13 Comments on "Piling up parking tickets could mean consequences"

anne
2015 years 9 months ago

Guess what? It could be worse. Ever watched “Parking Wars”? After several tickets, your car gets booted and then towed away and then you have some really high expenses to pay.

You got the tickets – forget your next dinner – and go pay them.

SurfCityTom
2015 years 9 months ago

had a song. A portion of the lyrics are “…if you can’nt do the time, don’t do the crime…”

What’s the ticket costing you for that 5 minutes?

Vog46
2015 years 9 months ago

It would appear, according to Guestcostanza’s letter, that we have at least ONE EMPLOYEE in the parking department working right up till the meters are done for the day at 6:30 pm !!!
Good for us.
Good for you.
Keep up the good work.
BRAVO to this meter attendant for paying attention to detail and doing their job right up until quitting time.

Guest? Next time your looking for some “Phun” down town? Put a nickel in the meter…….

Vog

Guestcostanza
2015 years 9 months ago

I recently came downtown to meet friends at Phun on Princess St. I parked my car at approximately 6:25 PM. No, I didn’t feed the meter, wrongfully assuming that it was so close to 6:30 (when paid metered parking isn’t required), I wouldn’t need to.

After dinner, I returned to my car and found a ticket on my windshield. The time of the ticket was 6:28 PM. I thought they at least gave you a 5 minute grace period.

Lesson learned- Will not venture downtown to eat again, although I love Phun and Manna, and will tell all my out-of-town visitors to avoid it.

Guestsure
2015 years 9 months ago

just dropped a dime in the meter would have saved you a parking ticket. 5 minute grace period, hahaha.

Guest123
2015 years 9 months ago

So you would rather not eat at Phun and Manna if it meant you had to pay to park. The meters are turned off at 6:30, not at 6:25 or 6:28. The rules apply to all of us who enjoy downtown — as they do with any city our size. Face it, you took a chance and lost. Now maybe there will be an open seat at Phun next time I go!

Guest2013
2015 years 9 months ago

Five cents would have purchased the time required to avoid a parking ticket. A nickle…Sheesh. There’s your lesson learned.

If I knew who your out-of-town visitors were, I’d tell them to avoid a tightwad like you.

Guesttenheimer
2015 years 9 months ago

…that man the meters are “nipp-in’ it in thee bud! They caught you fair and square!
You and I both know that is rediculous though. That’s the kind of enforcement that would make a tourist never return and spread the word about coming to Wilmington (or not!)!

Some of our local public service peeps struggled heavily during their third year of the 11th grade!

Guest 10101
2015 years 9 months ago

to knowingly do the wrong thing and then get mad at sombody else when you got caught.

All you had to do was wait 5 minutes. Too special to do that? Sometimes people just have to learn the hard way. Reality Check for Dummies. :-)

dean
2015 years 9 months ago

anyone who gos downtown deserves what they get. even if its rape, rob/ get killed / or a packing ticket . theres alot more places to shop then downtown. when my friends or family comes to visit. i dont take them downtown, i think of their saftey. dont going crying when it happens ,

pattymelt
2015 years 9 months ago

If you don’t pay a parking ticket and live out of town (3 hours away) can you get in trouble?

Guest99
2015 years 9 months ago

I too, have been the victim of what I believed was an “undeserved” ticket a long time ago. But really, you could have put a dime in the meter. We eat downtown frequently and always make sure we pay the meter until at least 6:30 to avoid the aggravation of another parking ticket.

CBguy
2015 years 9 months ago

An aggressive parking program will turn people away from an area such as downtown Wilmington. Why? Because it is just as easy to go to Mayfaire or the Mall or any number of commercial areas throughout the County that don’t charge for parking. The only time I go downtown (outside of work hours) is when the parking is free. If downtown Wilmington were the only destination in Town for restaurants, shops, etc., then it wouldn’t be an issue. Now, go to Mayfaire any day of the week and they are busy all-the-time. And without the need for paid parking.