12 Comments for this article

Tags: , , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — People do not always go to church for the right reasons. That’s why police conducted a seminar at the Wilmington Police Department called “Predators in the Pews” this weekend. They want to educate individuals in faith-based communities about different crimes that can occur in ministries across the area.

Police say churches often fall victim to financial scams, sexual predators, and even substance abuse. Officers want to encourage leaders in ministries to put policies in place that would prevent their communities from being victimized.

“I think because churches are set up primarily to be compassionate, giving, very sensitive, they are often times victimized,” said Police Community Resource Coordinator Linda Rawley. “People come in and take advantage of ministries. They get a lot of money out of them. They prey on the weak. So, a lot of things happen in churches because, of course, that is the place where everyone is forgiven.”

Rawley says it is important faith-based leaders protect their communities from crime. She plans to hold more seminars like this one every year.

Comment on this Story

12 Comments on "Police want to toughen-up ministries"

2015 years 10 months ago

Even though I’m not a strong proponent of official organized religious organizations, especially their leaders, I still believe in God. Am I right? I think so. Can I prove I’m right? Nope.

Perhaps sometime you should Google up something called “Pascal’s wager”. That just might change your perspective.

(By the way, the swamp land thing already sounds like a bad idea. Ironically, I havn’t actually seen either God or that swampland you’re talking about.)

2015 years 10 months ago

…and don’t have a clue as to where this miraculous machine know as the human body comes from, you need serious help with your inner being! I sense that you seriously lack the mental capacity to begin to understand the complexity of a single hair, much less the complex makeup and function of an organ. And you think all of this just “happened with a big ol’ POOF”??? Geeeez…

BTW! Kiawah Island AND Hilton Head were developed on what was swampland. It was pumped dry, developed and just happens to be some of the most premium real estate in the southeast.

Now…WHO is naive? Nah, allow me to rephrase that: Now…who is dumb as a rotten swamp stump? Maybe someday after reading a few chemistry books and opening your eyes, you’ll consider the fundamental basis for the hydrogen atom. Where in the hell did THAT come from? “Dohh, duhh, derr, it juss appeered, I thank.”

2015 years 10 months ago

I guess if your naive enough to believe in religion, your naive enough to buy some swamp land in Florida.

Guest Reply
2015 years 10 months ago

Or…they can go to http://www. Jim and Tammy Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart Fool ‘Em .com and find out all they need to know.
Just Say Baby is another reassuring measure they won’t get caught up into these types of scams.
The End
(PS: This might aim the public away from the RV thingy)

2015 years 10 months ago

To equate compassion with weakness is way off base. Churches tend to err on the side of compassion. There is a church in Southport who would come to the electric company and pay bills for people in need instead of just giving them the money outright. I think that shows good stewardship and other churches could take a lesson in that.

I was in a church once where the congregation chose to keep a minister who admitted to a sex offense against a female member of the congregation. Needless to say, I don’t attend that church anymore. But, it just goes to show that the cover ups aren’t only with the leadership.

Das Weibstück
2015 years 10 months ago

Kiawah and Hilton Head are barrier islands and have been for hundreds of thousands+ of years, they were not swampland unless the Indians developed them or maybe the freed slaves that lived there? I’m sure they all owned tractors…………………….. lol.

Guest CommonTater

2015 years 10 months ago

all religion will cease to be . . .along with that prime real estate man made from swamp land. .

2015 years 10 months ago

Just curious. Did WPD hold this event in a RV?

Kenneth king
2015 years 10 months ago

Why don’t we just scare people out of going to church at all ? When did we become so paranoid that we trust no one ? All we need in Church is a deep abiding faith with our church family period. If the church wishes to support their community by using a Christian Outreach Center,they could be responsible for checking out individuals to see if their need is legitimate .If people have to worry about “Predators In The Pews” when they attend church ,then the feeling of being safe with your Church Family goes right out the window !

2015 years 10 months ago

Not one word about church leaders who victimize their congregations? The same words can be applied to them: “”People come in and take advantage of ministries. They get a lot of money out of them. They prey on the weak.” They also cover up the crimes of sexual predators who are under their supervision.

It’s kind of naive to ignore the other elephant in the nave.

2015 years 10 months ago

This has to be addressed forcefully – especially in the Catholic Church.
They have the means to do something substantial with a new pope…..
I hope they do something…