45 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

ONSLOW COUNTY, NC (WWAY) — A Pender County Sheriff’s deputy is out of a job after being charged with DWI after a car crash in Onslow County this morning.

The Sheriff’s Office says dispatch began receiving calls that a Pender County patrol car was driving unsafely on US 17.

William Paluck was in uniform when his patrol car rear ended another car, investigators said.

Onslow County Dispatch said the fender bender happened at 7:48 a.m. at the intersection of Old Maple Hurst Road and US 17.

The Pender County Sheriff’s Office said before the crash, Paluck had stopped by his duty station at Topsail Middle School, where he was the school resource officer.

A worker at a gas station at the crash scene says the deputy was swerving all over the road.

Capt. J.T. Hock with the Pender County Sheriff’s Office says Paluck was notified that he no longer has a job as a result of what happened.

Paluck is due in Onslow County Court Sept. 18.

Comment on this Story

45 Comments on "FIRST ON 3: Investigators say Pender Co. deputy was drunk before wrecking car"

Bill OBrien
2015 years 8 months ago

I post on here using my real name because I will never say anything that I wouoldn’t say to a person’s face. I worked with Billy too and I wish nothing but the best for him and his family. He has some tough times ahead, no doubt. This is more than just a minor mistake though. He was driving erratically enough that he had been called in by several drivers so I am making the assumption that he was more than just a little intoxicated. He made the decision to start drinking before going to work. He then made the decision to operate a sheriff’s vehicle while impaired and tried to get to the school where he was supposed to be guarding the kids and keeping that environment safe. What “other side to the story” is there? I have never known him to do anything like this while on duty but, I haven’t been around him in about a year. A lot can happen to a person in that amount of time. I hope he gets the help he needs and fixes his life. Thank God nobody was done anymore harm than just some hurt feelings. This could have been a much worse situation. I think one of the things that I really take offense to is the fact that the magistrate gave him a court date six months out. I have arrested hardcore felons who had court dates assigned 30 days out from the date of their arrest. That is the standard! This smacks of preferential treatment! Give him a court date 6 months out in the hope that the trooper transfers or doesn’t show. Heck, by that time the news will have forgotten about it and nobody will care if it just gets dismissed. That does nothing but destroy the credibility of the justice system which is sure taking a lot of hits lately! You are right though…there are two sides to every story…both of these don’t smell too good though.

Wondering
2015 years 8 months ago

Has anyone else given thought that alcohol had no involvement in this situation?

How about the thought that, maybe, just maybe, he has previously been “offered treatment” for the use of “some intoxicating substance”?

Wowow
2015 years 8 months ago

Upstanding person, dad, etc.?? Apparently you do not know that much about him outside the “uniform.” Sad for his kids..

DP101
2015 years 8 months ago

I knew Billy at Burgaw PD and never knew of him drinking before or during work, I’m thinking is this a mistake. He has always been an upstanding officer, Dad, person, friend! Well I certainly don’t know all the details…there are two sides to a story, so I won’t be making any assumptions until I get both sides. Good luck to Billy and his family!

MParker
2015 years 8 months ago

Having been nearly killed on two occasions by a drunk driver, I am furious that William Paluk, a deputy who is supposed to uphold the law, made the decision to drive while impaired.

And to top if all off, he was on the highway this morning before 8 A.M. God help us!

I sincerely hope that he receives maximum punishment for his incredibly stupid and reckless behavior. And to think there are people on this site who are trying to excuse his foolish judgment.

It’s a miricle he was not driving faster when he rear-ended the other car; somebody could have been killed or seriously injured.

Time for tougher alcohol control laws. Alcohol–our most dangerous recreational drug!