NC House wants kids to focus on handwriting

Tags: , , , , ,

Submitted: Tue, 03/26/2013 - 3:35pm

RALEIGH, NC (AP) — Some North Carolina lawmakers want to require that school children learn how to write and multiply even in today’s modern world.

A legislative committee on Tuesday approved a proposal to change state law and require public schools to teach cursive handwriting and force students to memorize their multiplication tables. The proposal now moves to the House budget-writing committee.

The back-to-basics bill approved by the House Education Committee directs schools to teach handwriting so that students can write legible documents before finishing fifth grade.

The proposal had little opposition. But some legislators wondered if fifth-grade teachers would be held accountable for students who didn’t develop their skills. Others noted the bill doesn’t define how to judge students’ competency in multiplication.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

13 Comments on "NC House wants kids to focus on handwriting"

Guest72
2015 years 8 months ago

You are so right!! Duh! 4×5=? 3×6=? I didn’t realize that students aren’t memorizing multiplication tables now. Of course, many high school students and young adults can barely add and subtract nowadays. Just try to give a cashier correct change after she/he has already entered the next dollar amount–they look like a deer in headlights.

2015 years 8 months ago

Seriously?!?!? I think it’s called a TEST!!!!

Guest2020
2015 years 8 months ago

Handwriting and multiplication tables in the fifth grade? Are you kidding me? I learned how to write in cursive in the second grade and had the multiplication tables memorized no later than the third grade. It’s no wonder our education always ranks so low.

Guest Reply
2015 years 8 months ago

You did it now Guest2020!!
Everyone will be turning to you now for answers once they find out you can write your own name in cursive.

I believe what killed cursive and math was…the teachers wanted kids doing their math problems in cursive…and it blew everything outta the water!
These aren’t the only 2 issues at hand. Ask a 5th grader where Spain or England is on the map…or Burgaw!
My Granny used to say…”Land to Goshen…what’s these chillin’s gonna think of next?” (And she meant it 2…I mean…too!)

Vog46
2015 years 8 months ago

Is learning ow to write cursive in kindergarten. I believe that continues in first grade.
Why is this being talked about? Do other counties not teach it?

Vog

dakotaslt49
2015 years 8 months ago

I think your grandson is lucky enough to live in a very smart county.

Don B
2015 years 8 months ago

“Educators are saying they don’t need cursive writing, but please tell me how they will be able to sign important documents without it?”

It’s called printing, and it can be just a stylized and unique as any cursive signature might be.

Teaching cursive is antiquated and unnecessary. I’ve known cursive for 35 years and never use it as an adult. Most adults don’t use cursive and even fewer young adults do. Math, on the other hand, is ALWAYS useful. Being able to do basic math in your head is a critical life skill that will help you in both mundane as well as critical day-to-day tasks.

ENL
2015 years 8 months ago

Question. If you do not know cursive writing, How will you be able to read historical documents ?

ChefnSurf
2015 years 8 months ago

Cipherings for sissies. Wen I was in skool they told me it dont matter if you got the right answer, it were about how you felt about gettin that answer. the math table always looked like some a that stuff them smart kids fron them forein countries use. An them forein kids were sissies! Them forein kids even spoke funny!

Last time I got me a new broom for sweepin, witch is my job, my boss says it OK to sign with a X just like I always do.

See …… I dont need none a that stuff an I growed up to have a job anyway an I aint not one of them smarty pants sissies! So their! An my kids dont need none a that stuff cause they got them pictures right on the cash register at the hamburger place so they aint got to figurer out nothing! So their!

Them politicicans is to interfeering. Our life is OK so leave us alone! So their!

anne
2015 years 8 months ago

Stop it now! Children are not learning cursive writing and it needs to stop. I have children in Sunday school that can’t even write their names. I even had one who had to ask me to read something that had been written in cursive because they didn’t know how to read it. This is insane.

Guest-o-matic
2015 years 8 months ago

…and a witness, like in the old days when most were illiterate. It’s the way things are headed.

Guest Reply
2015 years 8 months ago

Your answer…With an “X”…but a lower case X not written fancy or nothin’.

Don’t you folks just love and adore what our world has turned into with children’s education.
1. Cell phones finish text messages for you (That’ll start World War III eventually)……
2. Facebook/Twitter help employers decide whether a person gets hired for a job from online gossip…..as they check their own website…”for online gossip on them”…..
3. If you yell at your child in Public…you are facing 3-5 years for abuse of the child’s feeling’s…..
4. And….they will predict snow just to give the stores business (that ones really here nor there)…but it does require a brain and a choice to make, because usually 2 computers call out the snow chances…not a human.
5. Brain Surgeons are now finding other work…the demand for their services has dropped by 17.658% :-(

Guest Reply