15 Comments for this article

Tags: , , ,

WILMINGTON, NC (WWAY) — A four-car crash that shut down River Road Tuesday morning sent at least four people to the hospital.

Police say around 8:30 a.m., a woman driving a flatbed truck was traveling north on River Road near Independence Blvd. when she spotted a Jeep heading towards her swerving over the center line.

That’s when the truck driver says the Jeep crossed over the center line again, side-swiping her truck before hitting a Honda almost head-on.

The Jeep then smashed into a Pontiac Sunfire, sending the Jeep into a bush.

According to police, the driver of the jeep had a learner’s permit. They say the driver’s mother was in the front seat, with two toddlers in the back.

Police say no one was hurt, but confirm all four people in the Jeep were transported to the hospital.

The driver of the Pontiac says the toddlers seemed okay, but had blood on them.

All four cars involved were towed. No word on the injuries, or if charges will be filed.

Comment on this Story

15 Comments on "FIRST ON 3: Four-car crash closes River Rd., sends toddlers to hospital"

GuestReality
2015 years 8 months ago

What an asinine statement to make. What are you….12?

Angewidert
2015 years 8 months ago

“more open road for us driver who know how to drive” ….. Drivers who actually know how to drive don’t tailgate. You’re still not going any faster than the car in front of you and you’ve compromised any opportunity for stopping safely if needed.

“they could have gone around you” ….. River road is loaded with curves.

“You will get tailgated on any road anywhere” ….. By arrogant, unsafe a-holes like yourself I would have to guess; certainly not by the vast majority of drivers who operate a vehicle safely.

The bottom line about someone like you is that you’re simply an unsafe, arrogant driver who’s too stupid to even realize it. Crash and burn if you must. No one will care. Just don’t assume you have the right to take any other innocent lives with you in the process

Guest CommonTater
2015 years 8 months ago

Yep… that covers your views..

Guest 1492
2015 years 8 months ago

I also can’t see any reason to be driving 45mph on a 55mph road. Your below speed limit travel forces everyone else to have to switch lanes just to get around you. That creates more incidence for potential error.

If you really don’t feel you’re capable of driving 55mph on a 55mph road perhaps you should try a more local road. What you’re doing is also selfish and inconsiderate driving. Certainly nothing to brag about either.

Guest745
2015 years 8 months ago

Uh, Abby: River Rd Driver admitted to driving 60 while being tailgated. Maybe you are not aware, but that is not slow. That was also speeding, however not as dangerous as those who tailgate her. Perhaps the bigger issue is for WPD or NHC Sheriff’s department. ATTENTION: we have people who admit to dangerous driving… how about stepping up enforcement of a known issue?

Guest Reply
2015 years 8 months ago

Spoken like a true idiot, and above all else…an impatient tailgater that you probably are!

Joe
2015 years 8 months ago

You and a lot of people like you are what’s wrong in New Hanover County. You are in a hurry to get nowhere fast. I travel Carolina Road a lot and drive 45 to 48 miles per hour. Idiots pass me all of the time going 55 to 60 miles per hour. More often than not I catch up to them at the next traffic light, meaning they sit idle longer than I do wasting gas in the process. And do not tell me it is none of my business about speeders. It is everyones business because people like you are one reason our insurance is so high. I just wish the State of North Carolina and this county would do as they do in Germany. They have speed cameras, you get you ticket in the mail. Come to think about it, that could really help out the budgets because it seems that more that 50% of drivers speed. That could make for some pretty good income to the city/county coffers. I encourage everyone to slow down and I call out to all law enforcement to step up enforcement of all traffic laws.

Guest 211
2015 years 8 months ago

TAILGATING AND SPEEDING ANY WHERE IN TOWN IS AGAINST THE LAW, ISN’T IT? AT LEAST I THOUGHT IT WAS. LIKE YOU SAID, IT HAPPENS ALL OVER TOWN, BUT ITS STILL ILLEGAL. YOU SOUND LIKE LIKE YOU THINK THE ROADS YOUR OWN SPEEDWAY.

Guest350
2015 years 8 months ago

Hope you tailgate me. Better be ready for a “brake check”. You know, deer, dogs and other critters don’t look before running across the roadway.

kc
2015 years 8 months ago

Dear “Abby”, Someday you may just tailgate the wrong person. just saying.

Come get some
2015 years 8 months ago

Meet me on the race track Abbey girl. I will TAKE YOU DOWN SUGAR BRITCHES…Windshield deep into the first turn wall is where you would find yourself…Leave River Rd. to the families, children and all other law abiding citizens…Show us your face not your bumper chicken little.

Guestsad
2015 years 8 months ago

I was on there this morning and I was tailgated by at least 4 cars the whole length and I was doing 58! I will NEVER take that road again. It’s downright dangerous. Not the road, but the STUPID speeders! No regard for anyone else but themselves and their selfish needs!

Abby
2015 years 8 months ago

If you didn’t like being tail gated by “4” different cars why didn’t you get off of River Road.

People tail gate any where and on any road. River road in an open road yes people speed up and down that road but when you get behind someone driving slow it’s frustrating. And if they were tail gating you that bad they could have gone around you.

You will get tailgated on any road anywhere. So that is fine you wont take river road anymore, more open road for us driver who know how to drive.

Have fun getting tail gated on every other road in town! Speeders and tailgaters are everywhere!

River Road Driver
2015 years 8 months ago

Some idiot with Indiana tags passed me this morning in a double
yellow line zone, and I was doing 60.

fatz
2015 years 8 months ago

i was on river rd and right before the fire truck got there i took a photo of the van ,, well it look likea van, but there was a little kid and looked like his mom ,, i was hopeing that no one got really hurt ,, my friend i worked with at carolina beach lost his daughter there just about ten yrs ago ,,if you dont slow down at the part of river rd ,,, yep some bad news come frome that ,, but i did call star news and asked them if they wanted the photos ,,, they passed me to a recorder ,, so if anyone want that for there car ins clams i got the photo of the light blue car with the kid in the back of the van ,,, not him just the van ,,,